RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Lindsay Whalen Joins Gopher Staff as Administrative Assistan

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gopherfan

PostPosted: 08/30/06 12:28 pm    ::: Lindsay Whalen Joins Gopher Staff as Administrative Assistan Reply Reply with quote

Former Minnesota All-American and WNBA All-Star Lindsay Whalen will join Pam Borton’s Minnesota women’s basketball staff as an administrative assistant, Borton announced on Wednesday. Whalen will begin her duties this fall, taking some time off after leading the Connecticut Sun to the 2006 Eastern Conference regular-season title and the second round of the WNBA playoffs.

“I’m thrilled to return to Minnesota and work with Pam, her staff and the team,” said Whalen, a Hutchinson, Minn., native. “It’s such a good opportunity for me to learn a different aspect of basketball operations. I’m also really looking forward to spending some time at home.”

Read more

http://www.gophersports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=38666&SPID=3303&DB_OEM_ID=8400&ATCLID=585086

miatamama

PostPosted: 08/30/06 4:57 pm    ::: Good for Lindsay Reply Reply with quote

Hurray for her. She's such a competitor and this experience on the coaching staff will only help her to become better. Good career move!

umbeta1455

PostPosted: 08/31/06 9:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I hope at some point she also decides to go overseas to help work on her game as well.

gopher5

PostPosted: 09/01/06 6:18 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

umbeta1455 wrote:
I hope at some point she also decides to go overseas to help work on her game as well.

She did go over last season (Russia), but was not able to play because of her ankle injury.

My guess is this gives her a chance to fully recover while still working on her game. Plus she is able to spend time with her family and plan her wedding.

The Gophers are lucky to have her back.

Jackson51181

PostPosted: 09/09/06 7:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

wow congrats to whalen on the new job.
wnbafans10

PostPosted: 09/10/06 8:59 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Cool!

Atlanta: Please don't take Jamie Carey in the expansion draft!!!!
gopherfan

PostPosted: 09/10/06 5:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

gopher5 wrote:

They certainly are and this couldn’t of came at a better time. She cant fix what happen but she can make the future bright.

auntie

PostPosted: 09/10/06 8:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

gopher5 wrote:
umbeta1455 wrote:

She did go over last season (Russia), but was not able to play because of her ankle injury.

My guess is this gives her a chance to fully recover while still working on her game. Plus she is able to spend time with her family and plan her wedding.

gopher5 makes sense. It will also give her some experience in management which might be good for her. Best of luck.

PostPosted: 09/10/06 10:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

auntie wrote:
gopher5 wrote:
umbeta1455 wrote:

gopher5 makes sense. It will also give her some experience in management which might be good for her. Best of luck.

I'm glad she's back in Minnesota, but... admin assistant? Isn't that just another name for a secretary? She has a college degree for Christ sake!

Queenie

PostPosted: 09/10/06 11:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

hooper1 wrote:
auntie wrote:
gopher5 wrote:
umbeta1455 wrote:

I'm glad she's back in Minnesota, but... admin assistant? Isn't that just another name for a secretary? She has a college degree for Christ sake!

Yeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah. I didn't want to bring this up, so I'm glad someone else did. Maybe it's a rung up, but not too many rungs. She's pushing paper, people, she's not here to make the future bright.

Of course, on the other hand, I know about this from my dad, whose job this is, and who has a college degree (major in French, minor in Italian and French, and almost a minor in English). So Lindsay's a bit ahead of the game.

PostPosted: 09/11/06 12:09 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

hooper1 wrote:

You have to start somewhere. A degree doesn't mean you'll get a cushy job straight away.
RedEqualsLuck

PostPosted: 09/11/06 12:14 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

what was her degree in? and might she be able to take grad classes? do they offer tuition remission, and how long to you have to work there to get it?

PostPosted: 09/11/06 7:07 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Quote:
what was her degree in? and might she be able to take grad classes? do they offer tuition remission, and how long to you have to work there to get it?

She's has a degree in sports management.

In 2004 when she came back to MN to get her degree she got to be an assistant coach for pam so now maybe she wants to see what else there is to running a program.

gopher5

PostPosted: 09/11/06 10:33 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

From my understanding, this sounds like a newly created position for Lindsay. The team still has the admin assistant they have had the past couple of years.

It sounds like her job will be more representing the program in the community and with alumni (especially former players).

dtsnms

PostPosted: 09/11/06 11:05 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

gopher5 wrote:
From my understanding, this sounds like a newly created position for Lindsay. The team still has the admin assistant they have had the past couple of years.

It sounds like her job will be more representing the program in the community and with alumni (especially former players).

That was my take on it. I think, and it's speculation, that it will also allow her to continue to be the "Face of the Sun" in the community as she was this past winter. Going to school events and all.

RedEqualsLuck

PostPosted: 09/11/06 2:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

on a practical level, as you point out d, it solidifies the connection between college and the w. Spoke with anne donovan about that when visiting Durham, and she expressed some disappointment in the slow embrace at the college level -- by coaches and players... To build the league we've GOT to suck in the college fans... Whalen (and the sucess the sun have) did that... the Fab Four did that... Beard clearly has a strong following, and the return to Duke certainly helped that connectoin.... dunno about LSU fans and them following Augustus and Short Stuff....

PostPosted: 09/11/06 4:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Quote:
She's pushing paper, people, she's not here to make the future bright.

Rolling Eyes I was hoping we wouldn’t have another recurrence in last years problems that’s all. But I don’t think that will be an issue this year because I truly believe we have a group of girls who want to work hard and be here.

MNfan22

PostPosted: 09/11/06 7:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Quote:
In her duties as administrative assistant, Whalen will not be coaching nor recruiting per NCAA rules. Whalen will however assist with the team’s community service projects, marketing, alumni relations and other administrative aspects of the program.

I have a question…
So if she were to be on the court in some way "assisting" the guards in practice, coaching in some way, why would this be a NCAA violation? Are administrative personnel not allowed to assist in practices in any way ? Or is this just in regards to not assisting in any recruiting ?

dtsnms wrote:
That was my take on it. I think, and it's speculation, that it will also allow her to continue to be the "Face of the Sun" in the community as she was this past winter. Going to school events and all.

RedEqualsLuck wrote:
on a practical level, as you point out d, it solidifies the connection between college and the w. ....

Ha that is very WNBA civic minded of you both but the W is a mer after thought here.
(The thinking of a cynical mind-which is just another take Wink )

This ain’t about being the “face of the Sun” here. (Maybe she goes back to make a few visits in and around CT since she’ll be state side) This is part about damage control. Being the “face of everything that was good about Gopher Women’s b-ball” in the community. It allows DJ Whay to be home, rest & heal, plan a wedding, gives her a desk job with w/workout benefits & she gets paid and it puts her in the community to remind folks of the glory days w/Coach B. And don't think that coach B (& the AD) aren't greatful. The solidifying of a connection between college and the W is just be a peripheral accident. Nice but still an accident.

PostPosted: 09/17/06 2:05 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

MNfan22 wrote:
Quote:
In her duties as administrative assistant, Whalen will not be coaching nor recruiting per NCAA rules. Whalen will however assist with the team’s community service projects, marketing, alumni relations and other administrative aspects of the program.

I have a question…
So if she were to be on the court in some way "assisting" the guards in practice, coaching in some way, why would this be a NCAA violation? Are administrative personnel not allowed to assist in practices in any way ? Or is this just in regards to not assisting in any recruiting ?

dtsnms wrote:

RedEqualsLuck wrote:
on a practical level, as you point out d, it solidifies the connection between college and the w. ....

Ha that is very WNBA civic minded of you both but the W is a mer after thought here.
(The thinking of a cynical mind-which is just another take Wink )

This ain’t about being the “face of the Sun” here. (Maybe she goes back to make a few visits in and around CT since she’ll be state side) This is part about damage control. Being the “face of everything that was good about Gopher Women’s b-ball” in the community. It allows DJ Whay to be home, rest & heal, plan a wedding, gives her a desk job with w/workout benefits & she gets paid and it puts her in the community to remind folks of the glory days w/Coach B. And don't think that coach B (& the AD) aren't greatful. The solidifying of a connection between college and the W is just be a peripheral accident. Nice but still an accident.

I think her real job is to promote the program and do damage control over last year. I think she'll be doing some promotional stuff that the coaches don't have time to do, both with the press and the alumni/boosters. That' s my take.

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: