RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Alison Bales: Underrated?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ripleydc

PostPosted: 08/23/06 1:44 pm    ::: Alison Bales: Underrated? Reply Reply with quote

Jessica Davenport (who's being touted as a possible #1 overall WNBA draft pick for 2007) averaged twice the pts (18 vs 9) of Bales, but she also avg'ed 32 min vs Bales 21. Duke was a deeper team with more scoring options, while Davenport was the #1 option for OSU.

Davenport also out-rebounded Bales, 8.9 vs 6.7, but Bales played fewer minutes per game and only 1 other player on OSU avged over 5 rpg, while Duke had 3 other players with over 5 per game. Davenport didn't have to compete with Currie or Williams for boards, but Bales did.

Some other statistical categories:
Bales 3.4 blks avg vs 3.1 JD
Steals: Bales 42 in 35 games, vs 19 for JD in 32 games
Assists: Davenport 1.8 avg vs 1.3 Bales
Turnovers per game: 1.3 Bales vs 1.8 Davenport

So, is Jessica Davenport really that much better than Bales? Or is Bales simply under-rated?

boilerjay

PostPosted: 08/23/06 1:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

You're making comparisons clearly without any knowledge of Ohio St.

While Brandie Hoskins is no Mo Currie, and Debbie Merrill was no Mistie Williams, I'd take Marscilla Packer over Abby Waner or Wanisha Smith anytime.

Having said that, all three of the Ohio St players mentioned above were named "All-Big 10" last season.

Anyway..... to answer your question....Yes, Jessica Davenport is that much better than Alison Bales.

Last edited by boilerjay on 08/23/06 2:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
ripleydc

PostPosted: 08/23/06 2:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

boilerjay wrote:
You're making comparisons clearly without any knowledge of Ohio St.

But to answer your question....Yes, Jessica Davenport is that much better than Alison Bales.

quite honestly, I'm making comparisons without a whole lot of knowledge of either player. I've seen JD only a few times and same for Bales. The times I've seen them, JD didn't overwhelm me and Bales always seemed better than I'd expected. perhaps it was simply a matter of expectations. that's why I'm curious to hear from other people.

bballfan2005

PostPosted: 08/23/06 2:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Numbers don't paint an accurate portrait of this debate. When I saw Jess play her sophomore and junior seasons, she simply could not be contained by the better centers in her league (McCarville and Roerig in 2005, A. Brown and Skouby in 2006). No, those listed aren't necessarily all-stars. But that's besides the point. She abuses them night in and night out. She's the reigning Big 10 POY for a reason. She is, by far, the best PLAYER (not just post) in her league.

Bales, on the other hand (a player I've been watching since before her freshman season at Duke), plays in a league against better post players (Larkins, Langhorne, Stansbury in 2005 and perhaps Harper). Okay, I'll give her a pass for not performing at a high level 100% of the time against those players. But when you also struggle offensively against the Siedah Williamses, Kerri Gardins and Kasha Terrys of the world, what gives? And yes, this does happen (watch the games for proof). There is a reason why Ali isn't even All-ACC honorable mention even as a Duke player, and that reason is Alison Bales.

One can argue that Duke had a more complete team around Bales. However, Debbie Merrill, Brandie Hoskins, and Marscilla Packer aren't what I would call "slouches" (all WNBA prospects). Davenport is given the green light to dominate...and she does. Bales has been given the green light on countless occasions to step up offensively and it usually results in her being pulled out of the starting lineup in favor for Chante Black. Therein lies the difference between Davenport and Bales. Both have the potential to significantly impact games, but one has decided to do so with much more consistency than the other.

To answer your question, no...Bales is NOT underrated. She just hasn't been as consistent as she needed to be in order to garner the level of respect that Davenport has gained.

Mathies to LA 2013
CamrnCrz1974

PostPosted: 08/23/06 2:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

But when Alison Bales does step up and stops acting like Lindsey Davenport, she is dominant. And she did very well against Fowles. She also plays well against UNC.

Alison has the potential...the key is her playing to her potential in every game.

bballjunkee212

PostPosted: 08/23/06 2:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Elsewhere, I have written about my observation that the WNBA is gravitating towards a particular physical type, perhaps epitomized by Catchings but certainly exemplified by many players: Tall, but not gigantic, slim but muscular, both fast and quick, above average skills all around, but no single skill so strong that it overshadows the others or locks a player into a particular role or position.

Davenport may not be the ideal of the favored physical type, but she fits the profile. Otoh, Bales is a center, period. And when you hold her up to the top centers in the W, such as LL, LJ, Riley, Bales is not as mobile, nor does she have the range. Although I believe that Bales could mature into a journeyman center in the W, several times a season she will completely outmatched. In contrast, Davenport seems to have a little more all-around athletic ability to develop, and her deficiencies could be hidden a little if she was put in a forward position.

Bottom line, I think Davenport's draft stock may be higher than Bales's because she more closely fits the preferred physical type. Just thoughts.

PostPosted: 08/23/06 2:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Your assessment was fair enough (I suppose), but you lost me with this comment:

Quote:
when you hold her up to the top centers in the W, such as LL, LJ, Riley

Shocked What the HELL is she doing on this list?

Mathies to LA 2013
CamrnCrz1974

PostPosted: 08/23/06 2:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Lauren Jackson plays the four for Seattle.

gopher5

PostPosted: 08/23/06 2:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I don't think JD is the type of player that wows. She is fundamentally sound, efficient and dominated games and the Big 10, but almost in a quiet way.

I do agree that JD had solid players along side her the last two years (Merrill last year especially made Davenport a stronger player).

But I also like Ali and thought she really blossomed last season on the offensive end (especially in the NCAA tournament). Duke still has tons of talent, but this season will be interesting since they won't have Alana or Mo. They were pretty balanced last season, but it was still Mo's team.

CamrnCrz1974

PostPosted: 08/23/06 2:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

gopher5 wrote:
But I also like Ali and thought she really blossomed last season on the offensive end (especially in the NCAA tournament).

Ali's NCAA Tournament per-game stats (six games)

13.5 points, 9.0 rebounds, 5.0 blocks, 57.4 percent from the floor, 82.6 percent from the line, in 29.0 minutes. She had 13 assists and 2 turnovers in the six games.

And she played very well against Maryland in the final (19 points, 12 rebounds, 3 blocks).

bballfan2005

PostPosted: 08/23/06 2:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

CamrnCrz1974 wrote:
13.5 points, 9.0 rebounds, 5.0 blocks, 57.4 percent from the floor, 82.6 percent from the line, in 29.0 minutes. She had 13 assists and 2 turnovers in the six games.

If she puts up averages like that next season (the ENTIRE season), we'll be National Champions...no questions asked. My hopes for Duke women's basketball next season ride on Ali (or Chante...or both) being a more consistent force inside.

Mathies to LA 2013
NoDakSt

PostPosted: 08/23/06 3:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Quote:
I'd take Marscilla Packer over Abby Waner or Wanisha Smith anytime.

I think Duke and WCBB fans only got to see a small part of Abby's arsenal last year. I fancy we'll see more driving to the basket, more shooting off the dribble, more figruing into the offense then we did last year where she often passed the ball and played a lot of perimter offense. I think she could lead a balanced Duke team in scoring next season.

Wanisha had a drought at the end of the year....hopefully she has worked through that.

bkvbkvbkv

PostPosted: 08/23/06 6:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

wow! i am so glad this thread was started, bc the answer is YES! Bales is better than Davenport. She has a lot of positives that I think will make her not only have a better W career, but one of the best in the upcoming year's draft. This being said, the only downfall will be her health.
Here what I like:
I think she is very very fundamentally sound. Look at her defensive position, she knows she is taller than everyone on the floor, so she stands straight, gets in position, and although she need to be more mobile, she doesn't jump or lose her center, so basically her only foul troubles in the W are going to translate from the mobility issue, not defensive stance or fundamentals. see christi thomas! she got in a lot of foul trouble and bales i think will not have that issue with her defensive stablility and keeping on her feet.
I like her post game offense. She uses power, can still back up and hit a jumper, and can finish around the rim. I think she uses her body very very well. I liken it Latasha Byears and Natalie Williams. If you transport either of them into Margo Dydek or even Kara Wolter's bodies, they would be dominated, bc they used their bodies to the best of their abilities and would flat out dominate...Bales, with the exception of Paris, has shown me that she knows how to use her body better than the rest and I think the difference in her and most of the other 6'6 plus bigs that she could eventually just snap and start to REALLY prove something. Potential is a big word, but when I see her play I just know eventually with a good post coach, she could be sparked to dominate. Paris already got the memo, Davenport is no better then Sutton-Brown in my opinion.

cthskzfn

Location: In a world where a PSYCHOpath like Trump isn't potus.

PostPosted: 08/23/06 7:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

to answer the post ques- no, bales is not underrated.

both players are, generally speaking, stiffs. both will be serviceable in the W.

i don't think JD will be able to post up 4 feet from the hoop as easily at the pro level and bales will be more limited there by her immobility.

that said, both will be AAs this year and i'd like to have either one in a UCONN uni.

ThreeBall25

PostPosted: 08/23/06 10:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

cthskzfn wrote:

both players are, generally speaking, stiffs. both will be serviceable in the W.

i don't think JD will be able to post up 4 feet from the hoop as easily at the pro level and bales will be more limited there by her immobility.

that said, both will be AAs this year and i'd like to have either one in a UCONN uni.

Rolling Eyes Typical... Anyways I'll take Tina Charles thanks.

NoDakSt

PostPosted: 08/23/06 10:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Sometimes I equate Alison with Summer Erb (who, for those WHERE ARE THEY NOW FANS, is an Asst. an UNC-Ashville) except that Summer had by this time displayed an offensive array that Bales has yet to develope. Bales, on her part, is a better defender. CHICAGO hear I come.

Obviously, if Bales continues the play that she displayed last March, her stock rises dramatically. Davenport plays in the Big 10 for god sakes...where is the challenge?? Some 6-1 240 lb. post player most likely. Davenport has a lot of skills but I think she will take some time to develope. I don't see her being a big hit but over time I think she will be a solid role player.

CamrnCrz1974

PostPosted: 08/23/06 11:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Alison is Lindsay Davenport...too nice for her own good. She needs to be more assertive on the court more consistently.

It is almost as if she still has that mindset she is in 6th grade and is so much bigger than anyone else that she is afraid of hurting people. She needs Mo Currie's sneer.

If the Alison of the NCAA Tournament shows up for every game, she will go very high in the draft. She can score in the low block, she has the high post jumper, and she is a great shotblocker. But the NCAA Tournament was six games...she needs to do that for 36 games.

OU#1

PostPosted: 08/24/06 12:46 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Excellent thread. Bales' stock has risen and will rise. I agree with the post that refers to Bales knowing how big she is and what real positioning means to the entire team's defense. Davenport has the talent but has suffered at the loss of Pete Gaudet's moving off the coaching end of the bench. Let's be honest though - against big name posts outside the Big10, JD has not faired well. And to be bluntly honest, the Big10 is very weak as compared to 4-5 yrs. ago. Therefore I must disagree with an above post referring to Packer or Hoskins as WNBA material. Not a snowball's chance IMHO. Merrill - that's a different story. Hope she comes back for try-outs somewhere/anywhere loaded for bear. But back to Bales - will she go for the pro career where too many are into one on one moves or will she move on to a medical career? Oh, and I'm glad she doesn't have Currie's sneer. It's actually refreshing to see an athlete just get the job done and stop with all the drama.

CamrnCrz1974

PostPosted: 08/24/06 12:56 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

OU#1 wrote:
Oh, and I'm glad she doesn't have Currie's sneer. It's actually refreshing to see an athlete just get the job done and stop with all the drama.

Getting the job done, IMHO, means Alison needs to be a bit meaner, more aggressive. Hence, the reference to Currie's sneer.

boilerjay

PostPosted: 08/24/06 8:03 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

OU#1 wrote:
And to be bluntly honest, the Big10 is very weak as compared to 4-5 yrs. ago.

And yet the Big 10 dominated the Big 12 last season. Rolling Eyes

Last edited by boilerjay on 08/24/06 8:28 am; edited 1 time in total
pilight

PostPosted: 08/24/06 8:19 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

boilerjay wrote:
OU#1 wrote:

And yet the Big 10 dominated the Big 12, last season. Rolling Eyes

The overratedness of the B12 is still not news.

PostPosted: 08/24/06 8:28 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

boilerjay wrote:
OU#1 wrote:

And yet the Big 10 dominated the Big 12, last season. Rolling Eyes

And that includes dominating Oklahoma ...

styxfan22

PostPosted: 08/24/06 6:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I think Bales will be the 7th best player in the draft.

ripleydc

PostPosted: 08/24/06 8:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

styxfan22 wrote:
I think Bales will be the 7th best player in the draft.

do I remember correctly that the Styx have the #7 pick? Very Happy

AB & AB...together again, at last. Cool

cthskzfn

Location: In a world where a PSYCHOpath like Trump isn't potus.

PostPosted: 08/25/06 10:41 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ThreeBall25 wrote:
cthskzfn wrote:

Rolling Eyes Typical... Anyways I'll take Tina Charles thanks.

typical? what's typical? that i compliment 2 players by saying i wouldn't mind either one in a uconn uniform?

your reference to TC is germane to what? oh, i get it. in your uconn mind i dissed TC? is that it? typical.

and you are, who? i don't believe i've had the pleasure.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: