RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Bird can't hide pain of coming up short.

View previous topic :: View next topic  
stever

PostPosted: 08/23/06 3:36 am    ::: Bird can't hide pain of coming up short. Reply Reply with quote

http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/wnba/282250_miller23.html

Quote:
Bird, who suffered a nose contusion in Sunday's loss, didn't want to talk about what boiled beneath the surface, but sometimes a mask can't cover up everything. "It's very disappointing," she said when the cameras no longer rolled. "The way I feel now, I will feel for a long time."

Jackson51181

PostPosted: 08/23/06 7:24 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Really don't care for this article too much at all. I don't think this writer has any right to try and force all the blame for this loss on Sue. did she miss a shot, yes she did but so did everyone else on the team.

cthskzfn

Location: In a world where a PSYCHOpath like Trump isn't potus.

PostPosted: 08/23/06 8:21 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

i thought it was a good article. the writer doesn't blame bird for the loss-

"Bird didn't lose this game for the Storm. She played aggressively and scored 15 points. There were plenty of misses to go around, considering the Storm shot 29.9 percent from the field."

the point of the artcle quickly follows-

"But she didn't win it either, which is what great players -- all-decade players -- do in the playoffs."

fair criticism, imHo.

if you accept the glory when you make the play, you should face some criticism when you don't. looks like sue handled herself like the upfront, straight forward person she is....good for her.

BCBG25

PostPosted: 08/23/06 10:03 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The article is right on. To whom much is given, much is expected. Simple as that. The 3rd quarter killed the Storm and there wasn't much time in the 4th to make up for lost time, even though they got as close as they could.

PostPosted: 08/23/06 1:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Sue's gonna be beating herself up for this for a long time. Nine months, probably. I don't know that it's good for her to do that, but she will.

Doesn't she have to have surgery on her foot to make it better? If so, she might be staying home this offseason. That would be a good thing, too. I'm sure ESPN will have her if she wants to do some broadcasting.

I feel bad for Sue, I really do. She played well last night for the most part, but everyone's gonna blame her for missing the free throw, the jumper, and the three, any of which at the time could've tied the game. I, personally, don't.

My big question is where was Janell Burse the entire game? She didn't play well at all until the run started. Of course, no one did, really, but her performance (or lack thereof) really stood out.

It's a team loss. They all sucked for three quarters. So I, for one, will not blame this one on Sue or Janell or Betty or anyone else. If you want to, fine. But I won't.

4ever_bball_fan

PostPosted: 08/23/06 1:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Maybe Janel was having to deal with lots of yellow jerseys in the paint every time she tried to rebound or shoot the ball??? Maybe her injury was an issue last night...she isn't 100%, either...all part of being a warrior.

I agree that Burse's outside shots were not falling last night, but that was an issue all around. Neither team scoring in the 40% range is not characteristic of the WNBA these days. There was a time when 38% would make you look like a team with lasera on their shots, but not now.

Bird has a lot of thinking to do this off season. I would hope she stays in the States, works the TV thing...I really miss her doing college commentary...and gets her head together, and her foot, and her nose...LOL...sorry.

PostPosted: 08/23/06 1:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Good article. It's tough to be a superstar these days. Damned if you do, damned if you don't. (IMO) I'm glad she handled it well.

Stop the presses! Stop the hot damn presses!! We won the ship!! Very Happy

*fondles lucky Penny!*

The Big Three!

Like a fanstatic story told in three parts:

In the beginning there was Dee
In the middle there was Penny
Though all parts are interchanagable -- at the end of this story there was Cappie!!

- PHX Mercury '07 Champs!!
SueBirdFan

PostPosted: 08/23/06 3:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Jackson51181 wrote:
Really don't care for this article too much at all. I don't think this writer has any right to try and force all the blame for this loss on Sue. did she miss a shot, yes she did but so did everyone else on the team.

true

Go Storm!

"Go smack yourself in the face and see what happens."
potd41

PostPosted: 08/23/06 4:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It was AD who wanted to play against LA because she said they matched up better than with Sac. so they tanked that game against Houston IMO which resulted in the Merc missing the playoffs. Be careful what you wish for.

kentubbybasketball

PostPosted: 08/23/06 4:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

potd41 wrote:
It was AD who wanted to play against LA because she said they matched up better than with Sac. so they tanked that game against Houston IMO which resulted in the Merc missing the playoffs. Be careful what you wish for.

Oh Anne Donovan.

lil_Hammon25

PostPosted: 08/23/06 4:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

i fell really bad for Sue, i thought she played pretty good, but she shouldnt blame herself for the loss, she wasnt the only one on the team that missed a couple shots..LJ didnt really show up until the last quarter

Avatar: Becky Hammon knows she rules
inky

PostPosted: 08/23/06 5:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

potd41 wrote:

Resting hobbled Lauren Jackson once the Storm had clinched a spot equals tanking the game?

A lot of people speculated that the Storm wanted to face the Sparks in the first round, but no one on the Storm ever said anything about it but "we just want to make it to the playoffs," and that the higher the seeding the better. A #3 seed has the chance of home court in the conference and league championship rounds, and a #4 does not.

Don't mistake what you hear on message boards for official communication.

threefrom60

PostPosted: 08/23/06 5:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Exactly. It was we, the message board nation, that kept talking about how we'd rather face the Sparks. Neither the players nor the coaching staff ever said anything to that affect. I firmly believe we would have been swept facing the Monarchs, so I'm glad we DID face the Sparks. At least our final home game was a rousing, stirring win over our hated rival.

We in no way tanked that game against Houston, or the one against San Antonio. The rest of our starters played pretty good minutes, especially Janell Burse, and the only player who really wasn't there was Lauren. We should have been able to beat SAN without LJ, but we couldn't pull it out. Definitely a sign of things to come. With all the fatigue of being so injured all season, our offensive game finally began to suffer at the worst possible time.

Houston had our number all season - 2 years really - how can losing a game to them, in their house, when their playoff lives are on the line, be considered tanking?

amaha05

PostPosted: 08/23/06 5:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I would agree to some degree about superstars stepping up in Play-off situations.

But here is Bird who is playing in pain, and she gets criticisms. If that is true, then why not LJ shoulder some. She is been ailing now for almost 2 1/2 years. She could have chosen to take time off last winter or the winter before or part of the season and get 100% well and she didn't. She could have done a great many things before her situation got to this point.

Instead we call her a Warrior, and when she can't play up to standards we lay it on her injuries. BTW she is fairly impressive even injured. But It took almost til the middle of the 4th quarter for her to have some impact.

I ask where was the rest of the supporting cast. Sue has some very timely buckets, and I thought played a solid game. And I am hardly what one would call a Sue Bird Fan.

I may be wrong But it is my 2 cents

I'd rather be trapped in someone else's dutch oven than deal with the "breath of fresh air" Gavin Newsom would bring to Sacramento.
That's change NO-ONE can believe in.
Chuy's Mom

PostPosted: 08/23/06 6:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I am no Sue Bird fan either, but she not only played a solid game 3 in pain, she played very well in the entire series. LJ definitely carried the team in the 4th quarter last night, but with Betty and Janell MIA and no opportunities for Barbara Turner, they came up short. IMHO the Storm really only need 1 other person to step up...LLL and LJ are the 2 best players in the world no doubt, but they still need teammates to win games.

PostPosted: 08/23/06 6:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Yes, I agree..Although Bird missed a few shots in the end...People are forgetting what LJ did...or did not do..she didn't show up until the final quarter...where as Bird was the only player playing well in the first three..

If People aren't going to give Bird the excuse of playing in Pain (with the mask that she hates..) and "with much is given, much is expected.." then an article needs to be written about where the hell LJ was in the first three quarters..

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: