RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Adams Resigns as Mystics Head Coach!
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Admiral_Needa

PostPosted: 04/15/05 5:18 pm    ::: Adams Resigns as Mystics Head Coach! Reply Reply with quote

Quote:
President of Washington Sports & Entertainment Susan O’Malley today announced that Michael Adams has resigned as Head Coach of the Washington Mystics. Adams has accepted an assistant coaching position with the University of Maryland under Head Coach Gary Williams.

"The Washington Mystics would like to thank Michael Adams for his contributions over the past season and for leading our team to the playoffs," said O'Malley. "He will always be a member of our family, and we wish him all the best in his new position at the University of Maryland."

http://www.wnba.com/mystics/news/adams_050415.html

Shocked

sambista

PostPosted: 04/15/05 5:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

on the eve of the draft? that's just messed up. my sympathies, mystics fans. can't win for losing.

PostPosted: 04/15/05 5:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shocked Embarassed Very Happy Rolling Eyes Crying or Very sad Evil or Very Mad

wnbafan

PostPosted: 04/15/05 5:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Now is the time for O'Malley to convince Pat to step up as an interim coach......who knows, she might like it and stay!! Laughing

PostPosted: 04/15/05 5:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

No way Pat coaches...no incentive.

And if Pat does coach for the Mystics for the entire 2005 season, I will change my signature to this: Admiral Needa is my daddy.

Mysticwiz

PostPosted: 04/15/05 5:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

THIS FRANCHISE IS A FARCE!!! Evil or Very Mad

rebkell
Site Admin

PostPosted: 04/15/05 5:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

sebibb wrote:
on the eve of the draft? that's just messed up. my sympathies, mystics fans. can't win for losing.

That is whacked, now if they'll get rid of Chasity, I'll be a Mystics fan again.

sambista

PostPosted: 04/15/05 5:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

jim lewis
cathy parson
nancy darsch
darrell walker
tom maher
marianne stanley
michael adams

seems like there were even more, huh? darrell walker . . . how many games was he there for? sheesh. the team with every advantage . . . and then there's pat summitt . . . so close, yet sooooooo far away . . . at the mystics fans' expense, the liberty fans might actually be able to buck up.

hey, reb, why you trashin' my girl, chas? she just needs a good team/coach.

PostPosted: 04/15/05 5:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

CamrnCrz1974 wrote:
No way Pat coaches...no incentive.

And if Pat does coach for the Mystics for the entire 2005 season, I will change my signature to this: Admiral Needa is my daddy.

Pat seems like the kind of person who is motivated by a challenge. I'm wishing her incentive to be the challenge of taking a team in which no one has any faith all the way to the championship.

PostPosted: 04/15/05 5:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

wnbafan wrote:
Pat seems like the kind of person who is motivated by a challenge. I'm wishing her incentive to be the challenge of taking a team in which no one has any faith all the way to the championship.

if the vols had done less well this season, she might've been ready for such a challenge - man, that story would write itself! but cam's prolly right. too much of a crapshoot, that.

PostPosted: 04/15/05 5:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

i have to tell ya Mystics F/O you have done a great job.you have run this franchise into the ground.You should be proud.
it take a lot of talent to do what you have done in a short period of time,so keep up the good work and we will be back to 3-27 before you know it.

rebkell
Site Admin

PostPosted: 04/15/05 5:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

sebibb wrote:

hey, reb, why you trashin' my girl, chas? she just needs a good team/coach.

Oh Bibb, she's really good when she decides to show up, but the problem is, she doesn't show up that often. Why is she your girl? She's not impressed me, if she wants to play she's good, but she mails it in too often for my tastes.

sambista

PostPosted: 04/15/05 6:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

her time in d.c. hasn't been memorable. the chas i know and love played in cleveland. dunno if her numbers bear it out, but i thought her best play was her last season there. seemed she was just hitting her stride when cleveland fell apart.

PostPosted: 04/15/05 7:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

That's effed up, people. This guy quits a WNBA head coaching position to be an assistant on a college team?

What's that say about the W? And the day before the freaking draft! You Mystics fans. Wow. First they trade away Chamique Holdsclaw for Cheez-It, and now this.

That really stinks.

sambista

PostPosted: 04/15/05 7:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

cheez-it! waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa-hahahahahahahahahahaha!

sorry, mystics fans. it really is tragic. but boy, that was funny.

PostPosted: 04/15/05 7:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Quote:
cheez-it! waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa-hahahahahahahahahahaha!

Caune has been calling her Cheese Knees since last year!

accommodatingly

PostPosted: 04/15/05 8:13 pm    ::: what it says Reply Reply with quote

jammerbirdi wrote:
That's effed up, people. This guy quits a WNBA head coaching position to be an assistant on a college team?

What's that say about the W? And the day before the freaking draft! You Mystics fans. Wow. First they trade away Chamique Holdsclaw for Cheez-It, and now this.

All it says about the W in general is that top-level college assistants, at least in the MEN'S GAME-- and Adams is becoming a MEN'S assistant-- can make as much or more than a W head coach. I wish it weren't that way, and eventually it may not be, but that's no surprise.

The Terps head coach for whom Adams will work played alongside him, I believe in college, and they've been close for a while. Adams (unlike, say, Van) had no particular commitment to the women's game before the Stics tapped him, and (unlike BL) neither made headlines for his great performance as a head coach, nor seemed to bond especially well with his players. Adams gets a raise, gets to work with a longtime pal, and gets out of what's going to be a quite difficult season (no SDS, no Claw, no Fantastic Four draft pick to save the team).

Think of it as the Mystics' sneaky way to be sure they get to draft Currie. (Or Augustus. Or Young.)

MSUstudent31

PostPosted: 04/15/05 8:18 pm    ::: Re: what it says Reply Reply with quote

accommodatingly wrote:
Think of it as the Mystics' sneaky way to be sure they get to draft Currie. (Or Augustus. Or Young.)

According to VeProf they will be trading that pick and melvin for the mercury's pick Sad ..this just keeps getting better and better Crying or Very sad

jammerbirdi

PostPosted: 04/15/05 8:19 pm    ::: Re: what it says Reply Reply with quote

accommodatingly wrote:
jammerbirdi wrote:

All it says about the W in general is that top-level college assistants, at least in the MEN'S GAME-- and Adams is becoming a MEN'S assistant--

Okay okay okay.. that I didn't know. I thought he was a women's basketball coach and he was going to Maryland's women's program. This, I guess, makes more sense now in terms of money and career.

Never mind!

At least they still got Cheez-It.

bluewolfvii

PostPosted: 04/15/05 10:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WTF? Go out a little on a Friday eve, get back, and there's no 'Styx coach? On the eve of the draft? That's weird! Dial F for Freakin' Mystics!

-Dales-Schumann
-Mique
-Michael Adams

Did someone issue a general evacuation order for the Booth?

I don't buy the men's college ball = money-power-etc. line. No coach leaves his team on the eve of the draft unless its mega bucks, he's fired, or its personal. I think its personal between Adams and either Pollin, Hargrove, or both. Don't know what Adams was making, but Tom Maher was making good money when he coached the 'Styx. Well over what some assistant universtiy coach would make. Wouldn't be surprised if Adams if taking a pay cut. My hunch is there is a story here. Maybe Adams wanted more control, input on personnel matters, and Hargrove coming in meant he had less. Maybe its connected to the draft. Whatever it is the timing makes it suspicious. And no one can blame Mique for this one.

rebkell
Site Admin

PostPosted: 04/15/05 10:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

bluewolfvii wrote:
And no one can blame Mique for this one.

Don't bet on that. I think it was BeckyFanClub on the ESPN board, that figured Mique was partially responsible for it, last night. I think she was serious.

accommodatingly

PostPosted: 04/15/05 10:54 pm    ::: push me pull you Reply Reply with quote

bluewolfvii wrote:
No coach leaves his team on the eve of the draft unless its mega bucks, he's fired, or its personal.

I think this sucks for the Stix and it's wrong for any coach to do. But we shouldn't forget there's a "pull" as well as a "push": reports suggest Adams really wanted to work with Gary Williams (men's coach at Maryland), and it's about the only top DI men's job he could have had without selling his house and leaving the DC area (especially since the UVA men have just hired a coach, and it wasn't him).

At the least it suggests that he didn't feel very attached to the Stix, either because of the way the Mystics front office treats its coaches, or because of the way he saw his players.

If that's the way Adams saw his team, though, his team perhaps shouldn't be too sorry to see him gone.

pilight

PostPosted: 04/15/05 11:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Even Carolyn Peck gave her team a couple of weeks before the draft when she quit.

My guess is that Meadors will be the coach for this season. It's too late to do anything else.

PostPosted: 04/16/05 6:52 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

rebkell wrote:
bluewolfvii wrote:
And no one can blame Mique for this one.

Don't bet on that. I think it was BeckyFanClub on the ESPN board, that figured Mique was partially responsible for it, last night. I think she was serious.

Can you find that post? I am really interested in how she ties Meek to this, but I couldn't find the post. I think if Meek was responsible for it, she'd still be in Washington.

This action by Adams adds support to my theory that he charmed Pollin into firing Stanley and giving him the job (I guess when you are out of work, you'll take anything). The man has no scruples.

PostPosted: 04/16/05 6:59 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Quote:
[quote="bluewolfvii"]WTF? Go out a little on a Friday eve, get back, and there's no 'Styx coach? On the eve of the draft? That's weird! Dial F for Freakin' Mystics!

-Dales-Schumann
-Mique
-Michael Adams

Did someone issue a general evacuation order for the Booth?

I don't buy the men's college ball = money-power-etc. line. No coach leaves his team on the eve of the draft unless its mega bucks, he's fired, or its personal. I think its personal between Adams and either Pollin, Hargrove, or both.

general evacuation? LOL, it's getting to seem that way! I prefer to think of MCI as the Bermuda Triangle of the WNBA...enter at your own risk.

but don't kid yourself about his reason for leaving. this twerp NEVER cared about the women's game...nada...and jumped at the chance to get back into REAL basketball (read "men"). the loyalty of Abe was clearly one-sided. before Abe gave him a break, adams was hanging around the Run & Shoot trying to catch on with high school teams. So now that his old college coach gary offers him a job, you think he's going to turn that down to coach GIRLS? hell no. good riddance. he wasn't fired and he didn't care that it was on the eve of the draft. he never did and doesn't now give a sh*t about the W. would that he had been fired.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: