RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Fans and players go at it again

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » Area 51
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BCBG25

PostPosted: 04/14/05 11:04 pm    ::: Fans and players go at it again Reply Reply with quote

More beer sprayed and another chapter in the Red Sox-Yankees rivalry.

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/recap;_ylc=X3oDMTBpcDBuM2RlBF9TAzk1ODYxNzc3BHNlYwN0aA--?gid=250414102&prov=ap

PostPosted: 04/15/05 8:33 am    ::: Re: Fans and players go at it again Reply Reply with quote

Yeah, cause Boston fans plain ole SUCK! Ugh! What a bunch of losers!!!

I would've reacted the same way Sheff did...good for him to pull back and for his teammates to close rank! That low fence is an accident waiting to happen.

BCBG25 wrote:
More beer sprayed and another chapter in the Red Sox-Yankees rivalry.

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/recap;_ylc=X3oDMTBpcDBuM2RlBF9TAzk1ODYxNzc3BHNlYwN0aA--?gid=250414102&prov=ap

inky

PostPosted: 04/15/05 10:57 am    ::: Re: Fans and players go at it again Reply Reply with quote

KeiraNY wrote:

Coincidentally, I was having dinner last night with a friend who played outfield for an American League team for several years. The game was on at the restaurant, and we saw the incident - ad nauseum.

He thought Sheffield was entirely in the wrong. "A player with the ball in his hand should not be bothering with fans," he said. Sheffield's action only served to potentially escalate the situation, in his opinion. Sheffield was not in a dangerous position to where he needed to defend himself, but once he smacked that fan in the face, he might have been.

The fans in Boston were planty vociferous, he said, but he never feared bodily harm when he played there, not like at Yankee Stadium. "You ever take a 9 volt battery to the neck?" he asked. He did allow that he collected several dollars worth of pocket change every time he played in NYC from all the coin that was pelted his way. (Funny, while this behavior has been common knowledge around the league forever, I never heard New York fans get their panties in a wad over what a bunch of losers, and how much those guys in the outfield seats who throw stuff suck. And where was the outcry over that head case Jeff Nelson's thuggery?)

My buddy also predicted a melodramatic overreaction from Torre. What did I hear this morning? "People [like that] shouldn't be allowed to walk the streets." Give me a break.

The fans were entirely in the wrong, but hearing about the grave social injustice in angry tones from the Yankee organization and its fans is laughable.

KeiraNY

PostPosted: 04/15/05 1:00 pm    ::: Re: Fans and players go at it again Reply Reply with quote

Laughable, schlafable! The fans make this "rivalry" worse than it is. I'm sure Sheffield didn't expect to get hit in the face while bending over to pick up a ball....that fan is a schmuck and even all of Boston agrees with that.

I gotta tell ya, you have to have a damn good aim to hit an outfielder in the neck with ANYTHING! I'm not saying it ain't possible but it's highly unlikely...besides, fans are mighty far at Yankee Stadium, unlike the RF at Fenway.

Joe Torre defended his player. Isn't that what he's supposed to do? Francona did the same and got ejected, albeit not for the same reason. He stuck up for his player. It happens.

The Yankees are the Yankees....the guy who hit Sheffield should have his season tickets revoked, PERIOD!

I'm behind Sheff 100% and not b/c he's a Yankee...but because he didn't have to be slapped in the face. That shove, fist or whatever (since there are different versions of the story) that he threw at the fan was more adrenaline than anything (kinda like when Roger "threw" the bat at that pansy Piazza). It's the type of thing you do and then go "calm down".

I'm sure that'll be the incident that will be talked about for the ENTIRE season (like the Pedro the Coward/Zim melee 2 years ago).

inky wrote:
KeiraNY wrote:

Coincidentally, I was having dinner last night with a friend who played outfield for an American League team for several years. The game was on at the restaurant, and we saw the incident - ad nauseum.

He thought Sheffield was entirely in the wrong. "A player with the ball in his hand should not be bothering with fans," he said. Sheffield's action only served to potentially escalate the situation, in his opinion. Sheffield was not in a dangerous position to where he needed to defend himself, but once he smacked that fan in the face, he might have been.

The fans in Boston were planty vociferous, he said, but he never feared bodily harm when he played there, not like at Yankee Stadium. "You ever take a 9 volt battery to the neck?" he asked. He did allow that he collected several dollars worth of pocket change every time he played in NYC from all the coin that was pelted his way. (Funny, while this behavior has been common knowledge around the league forever, I never heard New York fans get their panties in a wad over what a bunch of losers, and how much those guys in the outfield seats who throw stuff suck. And where was the outcry over that head case Jeff Nelson's thuggery?)

My buddy also predicted a melodramatic overreaction from Torre. What did I hear this morning? "People [like that] shouldn't be allowed to walk the streets." Give me a break.

The fans were entirely in the wrong, but hearing about the grave social injustice in angry tones from the Yankee organization and its fans is laughable.

dtsnms

PostPosted: 04/15/05 1:06 pm    ::: Re: Fans and players go at it again Reply Reply with quote

KeiraNY wrote:
Laughable, schlafable! The fans make this "rivalry" worse than it is. I'm sure Sheffield didn't expect to get hit in the face while bending over to pick up a ball....that fan is a schmuck and even all of Boston agrees with that.

I gotta tell ya, you have to have a damn good aim to hit an outfielder in the neck with ANYTHING! I'm not saying it ain't possible but it's highly unlikely...besides, fans are mighty far at Yankee Stadium, unlike the RF at Fenway.

Joe Torre defended his player. Isn't that what he's supposed to do? Francona did the same and got ejected, albeit not for the same reason. He stuck up for his player. It happens.

The Yankees are the Yankees....the guy who hit Sheffield should have his season tickets revoked, PERIOD!

I'm behind Sheff 100% and not b/c he's a Yankee...but because he didn't have to be slapped in the face. That shove, fist or whatever (since there are different versions of the story) that he threw at the fan was more adrenaline than anything (kinda like when Roger "threw" the bat at that pansy Piazza). It's the type of thing you do and then go "calm down".

I'm sure that'll be the incident that will be talked about for the ENTIRE season (like the Pedro the Coward/Zim melee 2 years ago).

Unfortunately I think Sheff is going to get suspended for this one. A player can't touch a fan, period. And the icing will be that after he threw the ball in he turned back to the fan, fists clenched.

As Dan Patrick said when I was out at lunch, let's say he gets 3 games. Steroids is 10 games. What are we trying to say there?

inky

PostPosted: 04/15/05 1:35 pm    ::: Re: Fans and players go at it again Reply Reply with quote

KeiraNY wrote:

So, because in your opinion, it would be hard to actually hit an outfielder with a battery or coins at Yankee Stadium, it's not a big deal that fans have been throwing them for years.

BTW, my friend is a tough and successful SOB, and if he says he was hit by a battery, he was.

dtsnms

PostPosted: 04/19/05 3:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Red Sox have revoked the season tickets of the doofus involved, and banned selling season tix to the guy who spilled the beer. Good job!!

http://sports.excite.com/news/04192005/v5423.html

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » Area 51 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: