RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

High Drama at Penn State

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bluewolfvii

PostPosted: 04/12/05 5:38 pm    ::: High Drama at Penn State Reply Reply with quote

Quote:
Portland keeps getting away with it, too. And athletic director Tim Curley and president Graham Spanier look the other way, a pair of worms diving below the topsoil, apparently terrified of the consequences of a public admonishment of the white-haired matron.

http://www.pennlive.com/weblogs/pasports/

The Other Penn State Way
http://www.pennlive.com/columns/patriotnews/jones/index.ssf?/base/columnists/1113297723152820.xml

Scuttlebutt: Through the AD grapevine, one of the girls recently dismissed from the basketball team is planning a lawsuit.

http://www.pennlive.com/forums/psuhoopswomen/

bballjunkee212

PostPosted: 04/13/05 7:56 am    ::: Re: High Drama at Penn State Reply Reply with quote

I read through the thread over on Pennlive. Some real hostility towards lawyers- can't imagine why Razz - and real hostility towards public knowledge of the actual facts- the "accept it and move on" attitude.

Well I AM a lawyer, and here's what I think about the situation:

First, I think a lot of the anger over this situation is directed at Rene Portland because of her not-so-private view towards Lesbians. As richly deserved as our contempt for her on this matter may be, we have no facts to support any assumption that her anti-Lesbian attitude played any role in the dismissal of the players. Until facts of wrongdoing (which is where, in this context, I would place Rene's atttitude) are revealed, we would do well not to assume the innocence of the players and the guilt of Rene/PSU.

That said, I don't see a problem with a lawsuit.

We may be a litigious society, and there are reasons for that which I will not address here. But even so, I can tell you that nearly every lawyer I know would weigh very carefully the merits of a possible lawsuit by one of the players, as well as what the lawsuit could hope to accomplish. Lawsuits, however many there may be, are generally not filed rashly.

So what could the player(s) hope to achieve here? A couple of things, maybe. First, keep in mind that by NCAA rule a player who transfers must sit out a year. In addition, if a B10 player transfers to another B10 school, conference rules dictate that she give up the scholarship. This occurred with April Calhoun when she transferred from Iowa to Minnesota (although the cynic in me believes that Minnesota is finding ways to ease the financial path for her.) But if the player could show that she lost her scholarship due to wrongdoing by PSU or its representative (Portland), that might serve as a basis to petition the NCAA to waive the one-year sitting out period. In addition, even though another B10 (or other school) might not be compelled to pick up her a scholarship, she would certainly have a case for damages, where PSU could be liable to the extent of the scholarship. Of course, all this may be superseded by scholarship rules I don't know about, but in the ordinary course of things, if the player lost the scholarship because wrongful conduct by the school, she should have a case for damages.

In addition to money damages, a lawsuit would also clear the air about what was said and why. If, as we suspect, Rene ran the players off for being Lesbians, and that information became public, it would likely be the end of her career and a real black mark on PSU- in short, heads would roll. I imagine PSU would do much to avoid that- although if it came down to sacrificing Rene for the good of the institution, she would be sacrificed. So a lawsuit which revealed wrongdoing by Portland would probably be a good housecleaning for PSU.

But the matter is a double-edged sword if the players involved were Lesbian and were not planning on coming out. In a lawsuit, all would be revealed. The question is whether they are ready for that.

~Bill

bluewolfvii wrote:
Quote:
Portland keeps getting away with it, too. And athletic director Tim Curley and president Graham Spanier look the other way, a pair of worms diving below the topsoil, apparently terrified of the consequences of a public admonishment of the white-haired matron.

http://www.pennlive.com/weblogs/pasports/

The Other Penn State Way
http://www.pennlive.com/columns/patriotnews/jones/index.ssf?/base/columnists/1113297723152820.xml

Scuttlebutt: Through the AD grapevine, one of the girls recently dismissed from the basketball team is planning a lawsuit.

http://www.pennlive.com/forums/psuhoopswomen/

PostPosted: 04/13/05 10:03 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Quote:

I could be wrong, but Portland strikes me as quite vain and I'd bet she would be steamed being called a "white-haired matron." Ha!!

Sass

PostPosted: 04/13/05 11:39 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

This is delicious. I hope she gets her ass sued off.

He's the greatest of the greater
get it straight - he's great
- Run-DMC
CamrnCrz1974

PostPosted: 04/13/05 12:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Sass wrote:

From the looks of her ass, that would require one big lawsuit.

dtsnms

PostPosted: 04/13/05 12:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Hey Cam, it's getting uncomfortable.

Your avatar keeps staring at me.. Embarassed

bluewolfvii

PostPosted: 04/13/05 3:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

CamrnCrz1974 wrote:
Sass wrote:

From the looks of her ass, that would require one big lawsuit.

There's talk of settling out of court to save face, but in Rene's case the question is which one. Twisted Evil

Please feel free to keep the Rene jokes coming.

p_d_swanson

PostPosted: 04/13/05 6:17 pm    ::: Re: Cognitive Dissonance Reply Reply with quote

bballjunkee212 wrote:
we have no facts to support any assumption

bballjunkee212 wrote:
This occurred with April Calhoun when she transferred from Iowa to Minnesota (although the cynic in me believes that Minnesota is finding ways to ease the financial path for her.)

Well, now...

shock6666

PostPosted: 05/17/05 11:01 am    ::: Re: High Drama at Penn State Reply Reply with quote

Looks like Harris has found a home...but Bland seems to be having some difficulty getting her release....

http://www.pennlive.com/sports/patriotnews/index.ssf?/base/sports/1116321660102630.xml#continue

"Bland needs to secure her release by tomorrow in order to meet the NCAA transfer deadline.

"I have requested my release and been told that, unless my father calls, my release will not be granted," said Bland, a 5-10 freshman guard. "Rene told me I really don't want you to go, but I just want to go [transfer]." "

Hoopsta1415

PostPosted: 05/17/05 5:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I wish none of this drama had happened. I'm going to Penn State next year and was hoping to be able to see Harris play. So much for that.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: