RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

an international player draft question

View previous topic :: View next topic  
inky

PostPosted: 04/12/05 3:22 pm    ::: an international player draft question Reply Reply with quote

To the WNBA Cognoscenti at RebKell's:

What is the protocol for international players entering the league?

Example: The Storm drafted international stars Lauren Jackson, Sun Jung Min and Suzy Batkovic. But Sui Fei Fei signed with the Monarchs this off-season.

Did the Monarchs choose Sui in a previous draft, and just nail her to a contract this year, or was there some other set of rules working?

pilight

PostPosted: 04/12/05 5:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

International players are eligible for the draft when they are 22 years old or have two years of professional experience. If they don't get drafted the first year they are eligible then they can be signed as FAs.

PostPosted: 04/12/05 5:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

so, to be clear (because this confuses me, too), ann wauters and lauren jackson were formally taken in the draft because it was the first time (year?) they were eligible? and others signed but not in the draft pool had already been eligible (and not taken) for a year? is there a cutoff date? like, if lauren hadn't been quite yet eligible to be drafted in april 2001 but became eligible as of, say, june17th, could someone have signed her on june 17, 2001, without her waiting for the next draft?

PostPosted: 04/12/05 5:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Wauters and Jackson came under slightly different rules, as they entered the league under the old CBA.

PostPosted: 04/12/05 5:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

hmmm, okay, so pilight, what would be the case if a wauters or jackson came down the pike now? same question pending, because i never understood why hughes wasted his first pick on wauters (which is not dissing wauters, mind you) when he could have "signed" her outside of the draft and picked someone else at no. 1. i don't think anyone had their eyes on her. hell, even val said she didn't know who the girl was when it happened!

PostPosted: 04/12/05 5:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I believe both had more than two years of pro experience when they were drafted, and as such would have been available as FAs.

Eventually the W will have to do like the NBA and NFL and require players to declare their eligibility. Otherwise teams could draft players like Currie and Pondexter this year, since both are 22, and just wait for them. The Celtics did that with Larry Bird, which is what prompted the NBA to require players to declare.

PostPosted: 04/12/05 5:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
Eventually the W will have to do like the NBA and NFL and require players to declare their eligibility. Otherwise teams could draft players like Currie and Pondexter this year, since both are 22, and just wait for them. The Celtics did that with Larry Bird, which is what prompted the NBA to require players to declare.

I thought you had to give up all remaining college eligibility in order to be eligible to be drafted.

My understanding is that any international player can be drafted if eligible.
sambista

PostPosted: 04/12/05 5:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

requiring a declaration of eligibility would take the element of surprise away, but it'd certainly make it more clearcut. whenever a foreign player pops up out of the blue, makes you wonder what gem has been unearthed. when lin dunn tapped kamila, for example, i thought she'd had a particularly discerning eye for her. vodi was/is good, but not the superstar i thought we might see.

in all of the dotcom's copy on the draft, this would have rated a discussion of how it all works.

PostPosted: 04/12/05 5:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Quote:
A player is eligible to be selected in the WNBA Draft if she: (i) will be at
least twenty-two (22) years old during the calendar year in which such Draft is held; (ii) has
graduated from a four-year college or university, or is to graduate from such college or
university, during the calendar year in which such Draft is held; or (iii) attended a four-year
college or university, her original class in such college or university has already been graduated
or is to graduate during the calendar year in which such Draft is held, and she either has no
remaining intercollegiate eligibility or renounces her remaining intercollegiate eligibility by
written notice to the WNBA at least ten (10) days prior to such Draft.

If the player is 22, it doesn't matter whether they or their class has graduated or whether they have eligibility remaining. That's how it reads to me.

PostPosted: 04/13/05 12:03 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Quote:
If the player is 22, it doesn't matter whether they or their class has graduated or whether they have eligibility remaining. That's how it reads to me.

But I think it does matter to the NCAA. So to draft a college player with remaining eligibility might void that eligibility.

Or maybe not...

HoopMatron

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: