RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Watching the draft
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
BCBG25

PostPosted: 04/10/05 10:41 pm    ::: Watching the draft Reply Reply with quote

I'm only a few miles away from Secaucus, so I was wondering if anyone knows if there's an audience at the draft studio? (aside from the players and their families, agents, dogs and general stalkers).

PostPosted: 04/10/05 11:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

there's an "audience," bcbg, but by invitation only. you gotta have the right creds to get beyond the lobby. it's a relatively small space for all that's jammed into one - the tv anchor desk, the podium, the spot-interview spot, and the dotcom chat handlers forming a sort of circle around the tables where players, their families and coaches sit. anyone else with creds of some kind catch as catch can, but it's mostly SRO. there are other tents, for media, for ongoing dining and general chilling by everyone, interviews and such, but there's hardly a point to being there if you don't find a spot in that studio space.

PostPosted: 04/10/05 11:22 pm    ::: Re: Watching the draft Reply Reply with quote

I can't wait until Saturday, I'm excited. Actually I'm excited every year but that quickly turns into anger once the Lib selects someone I've never heard of, last year was good though (Meka).

sambista

PostPosted: 04/10/05 11:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

are they having the thing at the espn zone again? has anyone ever gone to that?

PostPosted: 04/11/05 4:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

y'know, this is a little disturbing. i just called the espn zone (times square), where i am pretty sure they had a wnba draft "thing" last year, and they have nothing planned for saturday. nothing. who dropped the ball on this?!! argh!!!

PostPosted: 04/11/05 7:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

sebibb wrote:
y'know, this is a little disturbing. i just called the espn zone (times square), where i am pretty sure they had a wnba draft "thing" last year, and they have nothing planned for saturday. nothing. who dropped the ball on this?!! argh!!!

So how come none of y'all have your own draft party? Everyone throws in a few dollars, rent a banquet room somewhere, set up tv sets, contacts the local team to help out, etc?

Yeah, yeah, I know...expensive. But it's either have your own party or none at all. At least New York has an ESPN Zone. I got nothing here.

pilight

PostPosted: 04/11/05 7:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'm like 300 miles from the closest team.

OTOH, maybe next year we should do some kind of big board get together for Draft Day.

PostPosted: 04/11/05 7:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

shyguy1701 wrote:
So how come none of y'all have your own draft party? Everyone throws in a few dollars, rent a banquet room somewhere, set up tv sets, contacts the local team to help out, etc?

Majerles is having an early morning booze fest um I mean draft party.
BBallFanCT729

PostPosted: 04/11/05 7:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:

OTOH, maybe next year we should do some kind of big board get together for Draft Day.

Hmm...it would be nice to put faces to the names. Too bad my spring break is in March & not April.

Richard 77

PostPosted: 04/11/05 7:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:

Wasn't that suggested once? I thought it was. In any case, it's a good idea. We could have it in the city that has the first pick in the draft each year. Of course, we may get sick of Washington DC every year at some point... Laughing

BCBG25

PostPosted: 04/11/05 7:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Actually, I think we had something scheduled for the ASG in CT?
Too bad they are sold out...I wish I could stay there again, it's so much fun!

PostPosted: 04/11/05 7:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:

That would be fun.

I'm a couple miles from my favorite team but the Race for the Cure is Saturday here in Indy.
I may be tuning in late...

http://www.komenindy.org/

pilight

PostPosted: 04/11/05 7:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'm still going to the ASG. I'm waiting for someone to organize something there.

PostPosted: 04/11/05 8:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
I'm still going to the ASG. I'm waiting for someone to organize something there.

I hope we can all meet there. I can't commit just yet. I need to get a job here and then see what I can afford to do this summer.

wnbafan

PostPosted: 04/11/05 8:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

shyguy1701 wrote:
pilight wrote:

Wasn't that suggested once? I thought it was. In any case, it's a good idea. We could have it in the city that has the first pick in the draft each year. Of course, we may get sick of Washington DC every year at some point... Laughing

Hey! We have the 6th pick this year!

The Mystics are hosting a draft party - by invitation only - for STHs at the new MCI bar, Fagan's. I will be there.

PostPosted: 04/11/05 8:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

wnbafan wrote:
Hey! We have the 6th pick this year!

The Mystics are hosting a draft party - by invitation only - for STHs at the new MCI bar, Fagan's. I will be there.

I'm just teasing...I really wouldn't mind going to DC every year. I'd love to see the Starship Enterprise in the National Air and Space Museum every visit.

dtsnms

PostPosted: 04/12/05 8:25 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Hey I told y'all the hotel to go to for the ASG. It's cheap and 5 minutes from the Reservation.

I'll be trying to get all my STH surrounding seat people that aren't interested to get me their tix, but we'll see what happens.

Regarding this week, it's AAU season folks! Dani's first tournament is this Saturday and Sunday, but there's enough time between her Saturday games that I may get to see the first round. See link below!

http://www.connecticutspirit.com/94_red.htm

Note the number choice, gee, who might that be after?

Queenie

PostPosted: 04/12/05 8:30 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

bibb, be glad ESPNZone isn't doing a draft party this year. They screwed it five kinds of sideways last year. And they're overpriced anyway.

(...of course, I ended up getting a boyfriend out of the whole thing, but still.)

PostPosted: 04/12/05 8:46 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Queenie wrote:
bibb, be glad ESPNZone isn't doing a draft party this year. They screwed it five kinds of sideways last year. And they're overpriced anyway.

i know. i've heard nothing but bad stuff about the espn zone, which is why i've never gone there. but it grates me that espn is allegedly in "partnership" with the wnba (obviously, a very loose term) and never, well, participates. i mean, exactly where on the scale of importance does the wnbafreakindraft fall? in any event, because the last three rounds are only on nba tv, it's not like you can walk into any bar and not only find nba tv but then also hope against hope that absolutely nothing else is on tv! thankfully, i get it at home.

Queenie wrote:
(...of course, I ended up getting a boyfriend out of the whole thing, but still.)

dayum. and you're complaining because . . . ?

dts, dunno which place you recommended for the asg, but a bunch of us are staying at the cristata inn (suites). it'd be great to rope one of the mohegan's 40-some restaurants for a confab, maybe check in with guest services and find out how to pull that off. i'd volunteer, but my brother recently suffered a stroke and, between shuttling between nyc and l.a., my life's kinda up in the air. i've no guarantee i'll be there myself - just a wish at this point.

PostPosted: 04/12/05 8:56 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

sebibb wrote:

dts, dunno which place you recommended for the asg, but a bunch of us are staying at the cristata inn (suites). it'd be great to rope one of the mohegan's 40-some restaurants for a confab, maybe check in with guest services and find out how to pull that off. i'd volunteer, but my brother recently suffered a stroke and, between shuttling between nyc and l.a., my life's kinda up in the air. i've no guarantee i'll be there myself - just a wish at this point.

Sorry to hear about the family health, bibb. There are things more important than a basketball game that's for sure. My thoughts and best wishes to you and your family; I hope everything works out.

There's a pretty decent Ramada up the road that's like $70/per night AAA rate. I don't know the suites there, I wonder if there's a meeting room there where we could bring stuff in if not on the Res? The problem with the restaurants at the Res is SO MANY people are always there, it might be tough to get a large reservation.

I think we need to get some idea how many people and who are going though.

4ever_bball_fan

PostPosted: 04/12/05 9:13 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The talk about the draft on Saturday has my blood pressure up...and now I am getting weak all over thinking about the ASG this summer!! My vacation fund is bulging and ready to be relieved of it's fortune.

Perhaps mid June would be a good time to take a poll regarding who is going to be able to make the trip and get something planned. We might look at putting committees together or something so that one person is stuck getting all the information and making the phone calls/e-mails.

And, special thanks to DTS for being our man on the ground there in CT.

bibb, take care of your brother...just being there for him is a great blessing I am sure. I talked to mine in Cali last night and he is concerned about a cateract they just found on one eye.

Face it, aging is not for sissies.

sambista

PostPosted: 04/12/05 2:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

thanks, dts and 4ever. y'know, after this happened to my brother, i sent an e-mail out to friends urging them to get their affairs in order. no one, no matter how much you plan, is quite prepared for this. my brother's the most gregarious person i know, the proverbial norm of the cheers bar (quite the opposite of me), and for his mind to still be sharp as a tack but physically be without some very basic control over his life (he's paralyzed on one side) and unable to be out there movin' and groovin' . . . well, i think it's a blessing he's alive, but it's really killing him in another way, proud man that he is. you're right - aging really bites! when i turned 50, i was really whining, but obviously for no good reason. this here is some seriously sobering shit. don't let me even get started about how men in general, and black men in particular, often aren't vigilant enough about visiting the doctor regularly. i'm facing the very real possibility of having to move or change jobs or fill-in-the-blank to keep our family strong, forget about sailing quietly into retirement. thing is, this shit happens every day, to a whole bunch of people. (you learn that when every other person says, "yeah, so-and-so had a stroke just last week" or "so-and-so just died of a heart attack.") and no one's ever ready for it. the first big exhausting task was tearing up the house looking for keys, documents, bills, address books, etc., the whereabouts of which no one knew. (don't let that happen to you! get your stuff together and let everybody know what's what and where it is!)

don't mean to bring anybody down, but seriously, my friends, this kind of thing can be particularly debilitating for everyone in your circle. i can't remember when i last had a sound sleep. the stroke happened right before xmas, and i'm only now of a mind to talk about it.

so people, stop fuckin' around and get your shit together!

i just got back from l.a., so thanks for letting me get that out.

moving on to bball and to remain true to the thread, and apologizing for offering ideas but no real help, don't you guys think that because the asg is a very special event, one expected to draw people from all over the country, that guest services would make a special effort to find a way for this very special group of wnba junkies to convene?

PostPosted: 04/12/05 2:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'm sorry to hear about you're brother.

: (

As for watching the draft, I wish Indy had something planned for after the Race for the Cure. That's something the Fever organization should be present at anyway.
There's plenty of places we could get together. Any Hoosiers have plans?

dtsnms

PostPosted: 04/12/05 2:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Nykesha Sales has her annual Basketball Boot Camp clinics this weekend, and the Sun have nothing else planned. Couldn't have gone anyway, but it would be nice if they would have done something after we complained last year.

sambista

PostPosted: 04/12/05 2:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

maybe it's that this year's draft is so predictable, more or less? i mean, based on what folks are saying about what's not being planned by their own franchises, i'd say the anticipation is decidedly underwhelming. also makes me very curious about what the media turnout was at the combine. i had a feeling the w was gonna hurt itself by being so restrictive with credentials at one point; now newspapers won't even pay for their own people to go and cover the league, leaving it to freelancers. doesn't it seem strange that the mel greenbergs and oscar dixons didn't weigh in?

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: