RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Next Year
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MSUstudent31

PostPosted: 04/06/05 8:20 pm    ::: Next Year Reply Reply with quote

Preaseason Top 10
1.Tennessee(Loree and Shyra are gone. But now we get to see the fabulous four play together)
2.Duke(Monique is back and they have the best high schooler in the nation)
3.Rutgers(Best Backcourt and with the addition of Ms.20 rebounds per game they should be in good shape)
4.UNC(with a lotta latta and their tremendous recruiting class)
5.UCONN(Brittany has to step up and play how she was expected at Duke)
6.LSU(No more Temeka, but their backup point is solid)
7.Georgia(Player of the year candidate and great recruitng class)
8.Baylor(Blackmon gone but Kim will make it work)
9.Oklahoma(they have the best recruiting class in the nation so I thought they were worthy of this spot)
10.Ohio State(Davenport=SHAQ)

What are yall preseason top 10???

rebkell
Site Admin

PostPosted: 04/06/05 8:53 pm    ::: Re: Next Year Reply Reply with quote

MSUstudent31 wrote:
Preaseason Top 10
9.Oklahoma(they have the best recruiting class in the nation so I thought they were worthy of this spot)

I thought Texas had the best recruiting class, and is Brittany going to be able to play for UConn?

LSU's backup point is solid? Who is it, and didn't TJ play nearly 40 minutes of all their games, at least the competitive contests?

BBallFanCT729

PostPosted: 04/06/05 9:14 pm    ::: Re: Next Year Reply Reply with quote

To answer rebkell:

Yes, Texas has the best recruiting class.
We won't know about Brittany till the summer.
Haven't got a clue...never saw a PG for LSU besides Temeka.

MSUstudent31

PostPosted: 04/06/05 9:19 pm    ::: Re: Next Year Reply Reply with quote

Quote:

I thought Texas had the best recruiting class, and is Brittany going to be able to play for UConn?

LSU's backup point is solid? Who is it, and didn't TJ play nearly 40 minutes of all their games, at least the competitive contests?

Oklahoma has the best recruiting class according to blue star:http://www.bluestarbb.com/blue70.htm
I dont know if brittany will play next year,I was just assuming she was.. RaShonta LeBlanc is her name she is a freshman.. she got to play against liberty and I was very impressed..she reminded me alot of temeka except bigger..

BBallFanCT729

PostPosted: 04/06/05 9:38 pm    ::: Re: Next Year Reply Reply with quote

LeBlanc...I remember her. She'll do ok I think.

While Oklahoma got the Paris Twins I'd have to say Texas has the best recruiting class, looking at the players:

Erika Arriaran
Carla Cortijo
Mariana Mergerson
Earnesia Williams
Crystal Boyd
Aubrey Cook

rebkell
Site Admin

PostPosted: 04/06/05 9:39 pm    ::: Re: Next Year Reply Reply with quote

MSUstudent31 wrote:
Quote:

Oklahoma has the best recruiting class according to blue star:http://www.bluestarbb.com/blue70.htm
I dont know if brittany will play next year,I was just assuming she was.. RaShonta LeBlanc is her name she is a freshman.. she got to play against liberty and I was very impressed..she reminded me alot of temeka except bigger..

Oh yeah, I'd forgotten about the Paris' twins.

I thought it was interesting that Tennessee was ranked 15th, and this is the entire recruiting class for next year:
35. Lindsey Moss 6-0 Alpharetta Chattahochee HS GA -- TENNESSEE

I think Georgia, may have the most talented/athletic team in the NCAA, but they never seem to achieve the brass ring, of course that is attributed to Andy Landers, but they are dangerous, and if they were to ever play up to their potential they could easily take the title, of course I figure Tennessee has as much talent, I'm just praying that Candace Parker gets over her knee problems, I want to see that woman play ball, I've heard so much about her, and have never seen her in action, not even in practice.

boilerjay

PostPosted: 04/06/05 9:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

With a healthy Katie Gearlds and another top-10 recruiting class, I fully expect Purdue to challenge for the Big 10 title.

CamrnCrz1974

PostPosted: 04/06/05 9:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Don't sleep on Georgia. Landers returns Kendrick, Baker, Hardrick, and Chambers in the backcourt, plus Humphrey up front. Thrown in Erica Brown, PSU transfer Receina Russell, and Angel Robinson (2 HS A-A and one transfer), and you have a VERY solid and athletic rotation.

Now, can Landers harness the talent?

MSUstudent31

PostPosted: 04/06/05 9:48 pm    ::: Re: Next Year Reply Reply with quote

BBallFanCT729 wrote:

While Oklahoma got the Paris Twins I'd have to say Texas has the best recruiting class, looking at the players:

Erika Arriaran
Carla Cortijo
Mariana Mergerson
Earnesia Williams
Crystal Boyd
Aubrey Cook

But the paris twins look like linebackers Laughing ..they will have an immediate impact..

BBallFanCT729

PostPosted: 04/06/05 9:50 pm    ::: Re: Next Year Reply Reply with quote

MSUstudent31 wrote:
BBallFanCT729 wrote:

Erika Arriaran
Carla Cortijo
Mariana Mergerson
Earnesia Williams
Crystal Boyd
Aubrey Cook

But the paris twins look like linebackers Laughing ..they will have an immediate impact..

Oh, I know. I feel bad for the post players in the Big 12 Laughing

njjosh

PostPosted: 04/06/05 10:11 pm    ::: Re: Next Year Reply Reply with quote

MSUstudent31 wrote:
Preaseason Top 10
1.Tennessee(Loree and Shyra are gone. But now we get to see the fabulous four play together)
2.Duke(Monique is back and they have the best high schooler in the nation)
3.Rutgers(Best Backcourt and with the addition of Ms.20 rebounds per game they should be in good shape)
4.UNC(with a lotta latta and their tremendous recruiting class)
7.Georgia(Player of the year candidate and great recruitng class)
8.Baylor(Blackmon gone but Kim will make it work)
10.Ohio State(Davenport=SHAQ)

What are yall preseason top 10???

I agree on Tennessee and Duke, but the rest, IMO, is up in the air.

Rutgers will still be its usual self defensively. But they're not going to get to the next level (ie, the Final Four and winning a championship) unless they make a dramatic improvement on the offensive end. You're not going to win games deep in March when you struggle just to score 60 points. Right now, Cappie is their only offensive weapon that scares me any. She can't do it alone offensively.

UNC returns pretty much everyone, so they'll still be very good. Next season's Duke-UNC games should be awesome. Alas, UNC is still a one trick pony - if they can't outrun the opponent and/or are forced into a halfcourt game, they don't have a Plan 'B'. This will once again prove their undoing in March.

Baylor could return to the Final Four next year, but Blackmon and Whittaker are two big holes to fill. They also have to handle the pressure of being the defending National Champions.

While Augustus is a great player, I think LSU will really miss Temeka Johnson, especially when LSU plays Tennessee and other top teams. LSU will still be good, but not Final Four-good. This year was their chance to win it all, and they blew it.

MSU will be lucky to reach the Sweet 16 next year, and this is about more than Haynie and Roehrig graduating. As Baylor illustrated last night, MSU was not particularly quick or athletic and they had zero depth. They needed to be at the very top of their games and have a lot of good luck and breaks go their way in order to do what they did. MSU deserves a ton of credit for their great season, but expecting them to even come close to duplicating this season is very unrealistic. If McCallie can get a steady stream of better talent into the program, MSU can get back to this point and win it all some day. But it isn't going to happen next year or for the next several years. Remember how Sherri Coale took Oklahoma from the ashes to the Final Four in 2002 and lost very respectably to that 39-0 UConn team in the title game. The Sooners have one NCAA Tournament victory since.

Speaking of Oklahoma, they have a lot to prove before I rank them that high. Same with Georgia, which will certainly be talented but has a oft-mentioned tendency to self destruct at inopportune times.

UConn's fortunes next year will depend on Brittany Hunter. They still don't have proven guards, and with Jessica Moore and Ashley Battle graduating, they really need Hunter to not only play, but play well. If she does, UConn is a top-10 team and could make the Final Four, especially since one of next year's regionals is in Bridgeport and the NCAA will almost certainly place UConn there to ensure a sellout.
If Hunter can't play at a reasonably high level, UConn may be a borderline top-25 team at best.

icey23

PostPosted: 04/06/05 10:14 pm    ::: Re: Next Year Reply Reply with quote

For LSU PG's Erica White and LeBlanc will battle it our for the starting postion next year. Semione can handel the ball real good also.

PostPosted: 04/06/05 10:18 pm    ::: Re: Next Year Reply Reply with quote

njjosh wrote:

I agree on Tennessee and Duke, but the rest, IMO, is up in the air.

Rutgers will still be its usual self defensively. But they're not going to get to the next level (ie, the Final Four and winning a championship) unless they make a dramatic improvement on the offensive end. You're not going to win games deep in March when you struggle just to score 60 points. Right now, Cappie is their only offensive weapon that scares me any. She can't do it alone offensively.

UNC returns pretty much everyone, so they'll still be very good. Next season's Duke-UNC games should be awesome. Alas, UNC is still a one trick pony - if they can't outrun the opponent and/or are forced into a halfcourt game, they don't have a Plan 'B'. This will once again prove their undoing in March.

Baylor could return to the Final Four next year, but Blackmon and Whittaker are two big holes to fill. They also have to handle the pressure of being the defending National Champions.

While Augustus is a great player, I think LSU will really miss Temeka Johnson, especially when LSU plays Tennessee and other top teams. LSU will still be good, but not Final Four-good. This year was their chance to win it all, and they blew it.

MSU will be lucky to reach the Sweet 16 next year, and this is about more than Haynie and Roehrig graduating. As Baylor illustrated last night, MSU was not particularly quick or athletic and they had zero depth. They needed to be at the very top of their games and have a lot of good luck and breaks go their way in order to do what they did. MSU deserves a ton of credit for their great season, but expecting them to even come close to duplicating this season is very unrealistic. If McCallie can get a steady stream of better talent into the program, MSU can get back to this point and win it all some day. But it isn't going to happen next year or for the next several years. Remember how Sherri Coale took Oklahoma from the ashes to the Final Four in 2002 and lost very respectably to that 39-0 UConn team in the title game. The Sooners have one NCAA Tournament victory since.

Speaking of Oklahoma, they have a lot to prove before I rank them that high. Same with Georgia, which will certainly be talented but has a oft-mentioned tendency to self destruct at inopportune times.

UConn's fortunes next year will depend on Brittany Hunter. They still don't have proven guards, and with Jessica Moore and Ashley Battle graduating, they really need Hunter to not only play, but play well. If she does, UConn is a top-10 team and could make the Final Four, especially since one of next year's regionals is in Bridgeport and the NCAA will almost certainly place UConn there to ensure a sellout.
If Hunter can't play at a reasonably high level, UConn may be a borderline top-25 team at best.

You are right about brittany, thats why I made sure I metioned her in my post. Oklahoma and Georgia have alot riding on their in coming class. You are also correct about MSU not going very far next year. Matee Ajavon is a offensive weapon for rutgers..a very good one. She was the big east freshman of the year and will only be better next year.Cappie and Matee=best backcourt in the nation.

accommodatingly

PostPosted: 04/06/05 10:32 pm    ::: Re: Next Year Reply Reply with quote

I like this thread, but I'm too chicken to put up my own list. That and I don't have the time to consider one, only to react to yours...

Rutgers isn't going any farther until they learn what an assist is. Cappie knows, but does Ajavon?

I like the Sherri Coale/ Oklahoma 2002 analogy with MSU.

I don't see UConn going any farther next year than they did this year; Geno spent an entire year trying to solve the guard mystery and the best he could do was Ashley Valley (who graduated): Charde Houston improved drastically over the course of the season, but did Ketia? Did Mel Thomas? I hope I'm wrong-- I like UConn-- and I'm sure they'll be a great defensive team again, but they're not going to improve over what we saw this year until they get a reliable guard who can distribute the ball (three-point shooting a plus, but not a requirement).

I agree that Purdue will be very good next year. They could end up with the Big Ten title: that team improved drastically in the course of their conference season, they'll be better-off medically than they were this year, and they've supposedly got some great post recruits, plus every single one of the teams ahead of them (MSU, OSU, Penn State, and my Gophers) lose at least one of their two most important players-- and none of those teams were that deep. (OSU lose Matter, and they weren't very deep: they relied on her, Davenport and Hoskins to score in big games, and that's about it.)

UCLA will be good again with Quinn, Blue and Willis back and healthy, just as they were at the beginning of the year. And isn't Cal (Berkeley) supposed to have a superb recruiting class?

MSUstudent31

PostPosted: 04/06/05 10:38 pm    ::: Re: Next Year Reply Reply with quote

accommodatingly wrote:
I like this thread, but I'm too chicken to put up my own list. That and I don't have the time to consider one, only to react to yours...

Rutgers isn't going any farther until they learn what an assist is. Cappie knows, but does Ajavon?

I like the Sherri Coale/ Oklahoma 2002 analogy with MSU.

I don't see UConn going any farther next year than they did this year; Geno spent an entire year trying to solve the guard mystery and the best he could do was Ashley Valley (who graduated): Charde Houston improved drastically over the course of the season, but did Ketia? Did Mel Thomas? I hope I'm wrong-- I like UConn-- and I'm sure they'll be a great defensive team again, but they're not going to improve over what we saw this year until they get a reliable guard who can distribute the ball (three-point shooting a plus, but not a requirement).

I agree that Purdue will be very good next year. They could end up with the Big Ten title: that team improved drastically in the course of their conference season, they'll be better-off medically than they were this year, and they've supposedly got some great post recruits, plus every single one of the teams ahead of them (MSU, OSU, Penn State, and my Gophers) lose at least one of their two most important players-- and none of those teams were that deep. (OSU lose Matter, and they weren't very deep: they relied on her, Davenport and Hoskins to score in big games, and that's about it.)

UCLA will be good again with Quinn, Blue and Willis back and healthy, just as they were at the beginning of the year. And isn't Cal (Berkeley) supposed to have a superb recruiting class?

No, Ajavon dosent know what a assist is..but Cappie will teach her Very Happy ..and yes, purdue will win the big ten..California has the #7 ranked recruiting class..

njjosh

PostPosted: 04/06/05 10:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Now that USC has a real coach, they'll make noise in the Pac-10 too. Remember that they came within one freak play of at least taking MSU to overtime in the second round this year. They also only lost to Stanford by 4 in the Pac-10 tournament.

Sass

PostPosted: 04/06/05 10:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Arizona will be a team to make waves for the Pac-10 too, as they've landed one of the best high school players in the nation in Malia O'Neal. Arizona State is hot as well.

He's the greatest of the greater
get it straight - he's great
- Run-DMC
BBallFanCT729

PostPosted: 04/06/05 11:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Sass wrote:
Arizona will be a team to make waves for the Pac-10 too, as they've landed one of the best high school players in the nation in Malia O'Neal. Arizona State is hot as well.

I think Arizona is going to have a down year this year, as Dee Dee Wheeler graduates and especially if Shawntinice Polk remains in the shape that she's in. Arizona State should definitely be at the top or close to it in the Pac-10, despite the departure of Loney.

accommodatingly

PostPosted: 04/06/05 11:30 pm    ::: wow, it's a Pac-10 thread! Reply Reply with quote

Because everyone here except a couple of Dukies are tired of this year's ACC?

BBallFanCT729 wrote:
Sass wrote:

I think Arizona is going to have a down year this year, as Dee Dee Wheeler graduates and especially if Shawntinice Polk remains in the shape that she's in. Arizona State should definitely be at the top or close to it in the Pac-10, despite the departure of Loney.

I'm also down on Arizona, though who knows what a top first-year can and can't do?

ASU this year had real trouble scoring. If they've got a sharpshooter coming in, they'll go far. If not, then not.

Back to the ACC, what about Maryland? Supposedly more great recruits, a healthy Shay Doron, and a healthy Laura Harper, and they could impress us all.

MSUstudent31

PostPosted: 04/07/05 12:49 am    ::: Re: wow, it's a Pac-10 thread! Reply Reply with quote

accommodatingly wrote:
Because everyone here except a couple of Dukies are tired of this year's ACC?

Back to the ACC, what about Maryland? Supposedly more great recruits, a healthy Shay Doron, and a healthy Laura Harper, and they could impress us all.

The ACC will be the best conference next year..Duke,UNC,Georgia and Maryland should all be in the top 25..dont forget about langhorne for maryland..

CamrnCrz1974

PostPosted: 04/07/05 12:54 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Georgia is in the SEC, not the ACC.

Keegan

PostPosted: 04/07/05 2:14 am    ::: Re: wow, it's a Pac-10 thread! Reply Reply with quote

accommodatingly wrote:
ASU this year had real trouble scoring. If they've got a sharpshooter coming in, they'll go far. If not, then not.

Former leading scorer Jill Noe comes back from injury. Incoming backcourt frosh Danielle Orsillio is apparently a really good scorer (leading Californian state scorer). ASU will have a good season.

Maryland - I think they could have a Baylor-esque run in a season or two.

Arizona might have a down year but they've got some decent youngsters besides Polk and have a decent guard transfer coming in. If Polk can get into shape, I think they'll be ok.

Is Brittany Hunter even confirmed to play? I thought there were significant doubts about whether she'd even play basketball again.

As for my team, we're going to be lacking in depth but I will make this prediction - Rosalyn Gold-Onwude and Candice Wiggins will become one of the most exciting DI backcourts. We finally have athletic guards Wink All we need are athletic posts (I hope Okafor can stay uninjured).
GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 04/11/05 9:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Duke and Tennessee are the two dominant favorites, IMO ... followed by Baylor, and then LSU and Rutgers.

Erica White, a very flashy pg in HS, will be a soph for LSU.

Maryland should be very good. Remember, 6-3 Laura Harper went down early in the season with an injury, and up until then she was essentially neck-in-neck with Crystal Langhorne in scoring and rebounding. Frese gets freshman Marissa Coleman, who turned in the best outside shooting performances in the McD and WBCA AA games.

Re UConn, I wouldn't say Charde Houston improved over the season. She never had a consistent opportunity ... because Geno kept futzing about whether he would play her, when he would play her, how long he would play her, where he would play her, and with what lineup he would play her. She peaked in mid-season when Turner was out with injuries. Mel Thomas improved her 3pt shooting dramatically in the last third of the season.

Hunter is not cleared to play and nothing will be known until the summer at the earliest. There is even talk that she may sit in recovery for two years. For more than you ever wanted to know about the seriousness of her injury, the nature of her surgery and her general prognosis, you can take a look at this thread on UConn Insider:

http://mb4.scout.com/fuconnfrm2.showMessage?topicID=281.topic

giraffespots

PostPosted: 04/14/05 1:39 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

hello, my first post here.

My opinion on Okla is this: look what Baylor did this year with two great inside players and one really good perimeter player. Next year Okla has the Paris twins and a guard who regularly hits NBA three pointers (absolutely not an exaggeration). Add to that Coale structured her substitutions this year to give key players extensive playing experience. I think that the big 12 ends up like this:

1. Okla
2. Texas
3. Baylor

As for Rutgers, don't forget they added the highly sought after (just ask Geno how bad he wanted her) Kia Vaughn. They will be a force next year most definitely.

Aside, Pilight, how did you ever get access to The Daily Lobo?????? No shock AT ALL that Moore and Arndt won't be in the WNBA draft. Moore is only suited for that slow-down "20-passes around the perimeter" offense that UNM plays and Arndt doesn't have that "play bball or die" attitude. She's a good player, but it is just a game for her.

njjosh

PostPosted: 04/14/05 10:21 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

giraffespots wrote:
hello, my first post here.

My opinion on Okla is this: look what Baylor did this year with two great inside players and one really good perimeter player. Next year Okla has the Paris twins and a guard who regularly hits NBA three pointers (absolutely not an exaggeration). Add to that Coale structured her substitutions this year to give key players extensive playing experience. I think that the big 12 ends up like this:

1. Okla
2. Texas
3. Baylor

No question the Paris twins are talented. But basing all your hopes on freshmen is a very dicey proposition. Tennessee had a bunch of great frosh this year, some of which will, because of redshirts, still be "frosh" next year. But the Lady Vols also have some very talented veterans, so they aren't going to live and die by their first year players.

I have to see it from Oklahoma before I'll believe it.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: