RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Young = POY

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
womens_hoops

PostPosted: 04/06/05 10:57 am    ::: Young = POY Reply Reply with quote

don't ya think?

The awards were decided early (even the Wooden, which isn't announced till next week). And Young didn't even make the Wooden and Naismith finalists list.

But wasn't she the best player in the game this year?

pilight

PostPosted: 04/06/05 11:48 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

She's the best player on the best team, that doesn't necessarily mean that she's POY.

She didn't win her conference's POY award, for anyone not named McCarville that takes your out of contention for national POY.

PostPosted: 04/06/05 12:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

She's MY new favorite player!

womens_hoops

PostPosted: 04/06/05 1:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
She's the best player on the best team, that doesn't necessarily mean that she's POY.

yes, she's the best player on the best team. She also had all-around individual numbers comparable to anyone. So what else can you ask for? What's the argument against her?

pilight wrote:

She didn't win her conference's POY award, for anyone not named McCarville that takes your out of contention for national POY.

I don't buy that at all. The conference POY awards are decided at the end of the conference regular season. They are decided before the conference tournaments and before the NCAA tournament.

In other words, they are decided before the most important games of the year.

Davenport correctly won B10 POY at the time it was decided. But if the vote had taken place after the B10 tournament (when McCarville beat up Davenport), it might have been different.

Wecker (maybe) correctly won the B12 POY at the time it was decided. But if you were deciding national POY today -- at the end of the FULL SEASON -- wouldn't you have to put Young ahead of Wecker?

pilight

PostPosted: 04/06/05 6:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

You could wonder about the quality of competition. Baylor's SOS is ranked 33rd, lower than LSU or Duke or Minnesota or even TCU.

You could wonder whether her numbers are a product of the system rather than real skill. Danielle Crockrom posted similar numbers her last two years at Baylor without really being all that good.

You could wonder whether having an All-American teammate like Blackmon makes opposing defenses give her less attention than players who don't have scoring partners that proficient.

Young certainly deserves to be in the conversation, but it's not an open and shut case.

PostPosted: 04/06/05 6:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:

Young certainly deserves to be in the conversation, but it's not an open and shut case.

yep, that's all true. Definitely not an open and shut case. Not one for anyone this year.

herrade

PostPosted: 04/06/05 7:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
You could wonder whether her numbers are a product of the system rather than real skill. Danielle Crockrom posted similar numbers her last two years at Baylor without really being all that good.

the way that girl moves, i don't think it's just the system. she's a smart player, creates her own shot, and nails contested shots. i'm not arguing for POY, but i think she's going to develop into a really special player.

PostPosted: 04/06/05 7:11 pm    ::: Re: Young = POY Reply Reply with quote

Wecker.

womens_hoops wrote:
don't ya think?

The awards were decided early (even the Wooden, which isn't announced till next week). And Young didn't even make the Wooden and Naismith finalists list.

But wasn't she the best player in the game this year?

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: