RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Disappointing championship game

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Keegan

PostPosted: 04/05/05 9:39 pm    ::: Disappointing championship game Reply Reply with quote

In hindsight, a bad matchup for MSU - Baylor are quick *and* disciplined (as opposed to Tennessee who are just quick). They were also smashed on the boards and Baylor's bigs were just too quick for them. It was painful to see them get repeatedly beat on the baseline.

I have upgraded my opinion of Blackmon - she could be a nice bench post somewhere. Haynie looked good but had no support.

Congrats to Baylor. Bring on the WNBA season!
BBallFanCT729

PostPosted: 04/05/05 9:45 pm    ::: Re: Disappointing championship game Reply Reply with quote

Congrats to Baylor. I didn't want them to win for my own reasons, but I respect what they have done, and I'm happy for the Bears.

Someone put it well on the Boneyard: Kristin Haynie looked to be the only one worthy of being on the floor with Baylor. Sadly, that's the way it was tonight...she had no support.

Bring on the WNBA Season Smile

I look forward to seeing Kristin and Steffanie in WNBA uniforms. I think they've proven their worth. I just feel bad for Kristin...who truly puts her heart on the floor Crying or Very sad

Str8_Butta

PostPosted: 04/05/05 10:01 pm    ::: Re: Disappointing championship game Reply Reply with quote

Keegan wrote:
It was painful to see them get repeatedly beat on the baseline.

I enjoyed every minute of it.

MSUstudent31

PostPosted: 04/05/05 10:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Yeah, it was a bad matchup in every sense of the word..they were just way too fast and athletic for my spartans..but congratulations to baylor..especially Sophia..she has a bright future ahead of her..

BBallFanCT729

PostPosted: 04/05/05 10:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

No offense to Seimone, but if I had to choose between Seimone (or any player in WCBB) and Sophia, I'd take Sophia. She's just special, and will only continue to get better. Scary.

Sass

PostPosted: 04/05/05 11:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Very disappointing game. I hate blowouts.

He's the greatest of the greater
get it straight - he's great
- Run-DMC
inky

PostPosted: 04/05/05 11:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Worst game I've watched from tip to buzzer in years. A waste of two hours of my life. A clinic.

However, whatever that Baylor coach is taking? I want some of that.

CamrnCrz1974

PostPosted: 04/05/05 11:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Quote:
Someone put it well on the Boneyard:

That notion is horrifying! Shocked

Sass

PostPosted: 04/05/05 11:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

inky wrote:

However, whatever that Baylor coach is taking? I want some of that.

Grade A crack. She's like a chihuahua, humpin your leg. And yeah, I wanna try it too.

- Run-DMC
njjosh

PostPosted: 04/05/05 11:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It was a very disappointing championship game in the sense that we saw only a coronation, and not a competition, in the sport's ultimate game.

That being said, one of the upsides of a blowout like this is that there are no ifs, ands, or buts about who is the better team. And the way Baylor won also meant that we got to see a great team play at its very best in the biggest of games. This isn't always the case in blowouts - sometimes, one team plays its B or C game and the other team plays its F game, so you still get a blowout, but not one that is well-played.

Other than the first 12 minutes against LSU and the last 10 minutes vs. North Carolina, Baylor played better in the tournament than any other team, IMO.

MSUstudent31

PostPosted: 04/06/05 12:32 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It really wasnt as bad as you guys are making it out to be..it sure as hell is better than watching pat and geno for the 10000000th time..I agree with CT, next years draft is going to be *special*..

womens_hoops

PostPosted: 04/06/05 10:56 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

blowouts aren't fun.

On the other hand, it is fun watching a great team like Baylor.

The other day I watched the '95 championship between UConn and Tennessee. It's amazing how far the game has advanced since then in terms of athleticism. 10 years later, the game has shifted into a different gear. It's faster, and it's played higher above the floor.

So... it's not all bad.

Slovydal

PostPosted: 04/06/05 12:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I enjoyed it. Considering the fact that State could come back from behind at any time - it didn't feel like a blowout.

It wasn't until there were only two minutes left and Baylor had a 20 point lead that I finally relaxed and said, 'They've got it"

It would have been more fun if Baylor played Tennessee. It would have been closer.

Baylor still would have won.

BBallFanCT729

PostPosted: 04/06/05 2:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

CamrnCrz1974 wrote:
Quote:
Someone put it well on the Boneyard:

That notion is horrifying! Shocked

I know. Needless to say, it came from someone who isn't held in high regard by the Boneyard elitists.

Richard 77

PostPosted: 04/06/05 4:28 pm    ::: Re: Disappointing championship game Reply Reply with quote

I've read this thread and the similar one on the top 25 board. So you were disappointed with the game...so what? Change the channel and watch something else. What were you expecting? Sure...I wish Michigan State showed up, but there wasn't anything I or anyone could do to change the fact Baylor wanted to win last night and looked as if they would have blown out no matter who they played. Yeah, most fans of any sport wants a highly contested and exciting game, but when it comes down to it, I think most players who play the sport want to take total control of a game and dominate their opponent, espically in a championship game.

If I were a Baylor player, if it came to choosing between winning the game impressively or making the game exciting and nailbiting for thousands of women's basketball fans, I'd always choose winning the game impressively. What I'd want (winning) comes first and what the general fan wants (a close exciting game) comes a distant last.

I'm sure there wasn't one Baylor player who, when they finally got to bed, didn't lose any sleep thinking about those fans who were disappointed with this game because of the way they handled their business.

Sass

PostPosted: 04/06/05 6:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Slovydal wrote:

It would have been more fun if Baylor played Tennessee. It would have been closer.

Baylor still would have won.

I kept thinking that last night, too.

- Run-DMC
inky

PostPosted: 04/06/05 7:26 pm    ::: Re: Disappointing championship game Reply Reply with quote

shyguy1701 wrote:

If I were a Baylor player, if it came to choosing between winning the game impressively or making the game exciting and nailbiting for thousands of women's basketball fans, I'd always choose winning the game impressively. What I'd want (winning) comes first and what the general fan wants (a close exciting game) comes a distant last.

I'm sure there wasn't one Baylor player who, when they finally got to bed, didn't lose any sleep thinking about those fans who were disappointed with this game because of the way they handled their business.

Nobody's saying that Baylor should have kept the game closer. Nobody's saying that college basketball should pander to the fan in a disingenuous way.

I think what we were all doing was expressing a simple opinion. Nothing worth taking personally, for you or for Baylor - or even for MSU.

It was just a boring game. That's all. I'm pressed to see how this is controversial.

The Blimp

PostPosted: 04/06/05 7:38 pm    ::: Re: Disappointing championship game Reply Reply with quote

BBallFanCT729 wrote:

I look forward to seeing Kristin and Steffanie in WNBA uniforms. I think they've proven their worth. I just feel bad for Kristin...who truly puts her heart on the floor Crying or Very sad

I think you're right, both of them deserve to be picked up by WNBA teams. Haynie is better than her performance in the championship game showed and she really shouldn't be too downhearted - easy to say I know. Sorry in a way that Baylor did such a number on MSU. As a spectacle it didn't live up to expectations, but that was because of Baylor's 'D', and their ability to get it (the championship game)done. But I don't think that it means that Baylor are a better team than MSU. And I don't think that the 'W' means that Kim Mulkey-Robertson is a better coach than Coach 'P'. Like all championship games, it is only one game. But who will remember that in a few years time?

BBallFanCT729

PostPosted: 04/06/05 7:54 pm    ::: Re: Disappointing championship game Reply Reply with quote

Kristin had a good championship game performance, she just didn't have support from Victoria, Liz, and Kelli. Kristin had 17 points, 5 assists, and 5 steals...numbers not to frowned at. I hope she does well in the WNBA. I have a newfound respect for her, as well as the other Spartans. I will definitely be following them for years to come.

Slovydal

PostPosted: 04/06/05 10:07 pm    ::: Re: Disappointing championship game Reply Reply with quote

inky,

Had I watched it on TV, I would have said it was boring too.

Having watched State come back and win over Tennessee a couple days earlier, I spent the whole game saying, "Please don't blow this game..."
It wasn't so much exciting as uncomfortable.

The games sunday were really good though.

accommodatingly

PostPosted: 04/06/05 10:21 pm    ::: Re: Disappointing championship game Reply Reply with quote

BBallFanCT729 wrote:
Kristin had a good championship game performance, she just didn't have support from Victoria, Liz, and Kelli. Kristin had 17 points, 5 assists, and 5 steals...numbers not to frowned at. I hope she does well in the WNBA. I have a newfound respect for her, as well as the other Spartans. I will definitely be following them for years to come.

Yep. Bowen had a decent game too-- she's supposed to score for MSU, and she did-- I believe she put up 20. MSU got killed inside, on both ends, and by Baylor's ability to reverse the ball and feed Niemann. The MSU fans just behind us were shouting "Kristin can't do it all herself! Give her some help out there!"

MSU could be very good next year, or they could be a slightly-below-average Big Ten team with two wonderful players, Bowen and Haynes (like Illinois with Williams and Guthrie this year), depending on what MSU's bench looks like when they actually see more minutes, and how their incoming class turns out.

Slovydal

PostPosted: 04/06/05 10:27 pm    ::: Re: Disappointing championship game Reply Reply with quote

accommodatingly,

Thanks for introducing yourself at the game! I should have got your #.

What did you folks do after the games?

I met MNFan22 too. She's FINE !

: )

accommodatingly

PostPosted: 04/06/05 10:35 pm    ::: Re: Disappointing championship game Reply Reply with quote

Slovydal wrote:
accommodatingly,

Thanks for introducing yourself at the game! I should have got your #.

What did you folks do after the games?

I met MNFan22 too. She's FINE !

: )

If she and MinnyMe are the same person, then I'm sorry we couldn't get together with you afterwards! (If she and MinnyMe are not the same person, then I think I don't know her, but I'm still sorry we didn't see you.)

We were tired after the second game-- rounded up some chili and went back to our hotel-- and tired, for different reasons, after the championship game (also bummed out, since as you know we support the Big Ten). You should get to hang out with us, however, if you follow your Fever up here during the W season, or, at the latest, in the next Big Ten tournament-- we definitely want to come back to Indy for that if we can afford it-- cp'd to the F4, it's more basketball for less money, too!

Slovydal

PostPosted: 04/06/05 10:42 pm    ::: Re: Disappointing championship game Reply Reply with quote

Look me up when you folks get back to Indy for some basketball!

MNfan22

PostPosted: 04/07/05 6:26 pm    ::: Re: Disappointing championship game Reply Reply with quote

First, yes AC I'm one in the same. Over the yrs every time I registered on some boards I thought I needed get clever w/my board names. Why, I have no idea. As I begin to age, bad idea. Some times I don't remember who I am Rolling Eyes

And Slovy, I don't know what to say Embarassed thanks.
You know I almost came back over to sit w/you for the rest of the MSU/TN gm but the Spartans started to make it interesting, didn't want to miss anything Wink

I'm w/AC the Big10 tourny is in order for 2006. Of course if the Lynx & Fever happen to play for some hardware this fall, I'm as good as there.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: