RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Harrower will be in the WNBA this summer
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Keegan

PostPosted: 04/04/05 10:39 pm    ::: Harrower will be in the WNBA this summer Reply Reply with quote

Kristi's corner

Quote:
I have 5 weeks left here in France and then I am off to the WNBA. I have given a verbal agreement to a team but I am waiting to actually sign the contracts before I let everyone know who I am playing for. I am really looking forward to playing in the States this year since I missed last year. Its great to see so many Aussies signed contracts or are in training camps and I would like to wish them all the best on making teams and if you don't it is a great experience for you and shows you what you have to do to get to the next level. Training camps aren't easy but its great to be involved in the WNBA.
CamrnCrz1974

PostPosted: 04/05/05 12:34 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It will be bittersweet to see Kristi play the Mercury. We still love her. Kristi's a Ledge!

MT_Swoopes

PostPosted: 04/05/05 2:21 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

CamrnCrz1974 wrote:
It will be bittersweet to see Kristi play the Mercury. We still love her. Kristi's a Ledge!

Is that the team she made the verbal agreement for? Just need a confirmation, cam.

mb

PostPosted: 04/05/05 2:30 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It says "play the Mercury", not play FOR the Mercury.

She's a restricted free agent, so Minnesota would be a good guess.

CamrnCrz1974

PostPosted: 04/05/05 2:30 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

No, Kristi made the verbal commitment to the Lynx. Phoenix wanted her back, however.

MT_Swoopes

PostPosted: 04/05/05 9:03 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

CamrnCrz1974 wrote:
No, Kristi made the verbal commitment to the Lynx. Phoenix wanted her back, however.

OK

Keegan

PostPosted: 04/05/05 9:10 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

CamrnCrz1974 wrote:

It's a part of the "let's try and get every decent PG in Australian basketball" plan (sorry Alicia Poto, you don't qualify)
CamrnCrz1974

PostPosted: 04/05/05 9:11 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Timms, Kingi-Cross, Harrower, Cleary, and Veal. Not bad.

And no, Poto does not qualify. And if she does qualify, Jenny Whittle qualifies as a top center in the WNBA.

hellcat24

PostPosted: 04/05/05 9:55 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

CamrnCrz1974 wrote:
Timms, Kingi-Cross, Harrower, Cleary, and Veal. Not bad.

And no, Poto does not qualify. And if she does qualify, Jenny Whittle qualifies as a top center in the WNBA.

Hey clip clop was all star 5 this season..... actually that speaks more about the depletion of talent in the WNBL. Wink

I think it's a telling sign that Poto has been in Europe for so long and attracted no interest from the WNBA, especially given that everyone loves an Aussie point guard. Oh and basketball abilities asides, I can't bring myself to like anyone that's been associated with Anthony Mundine. Razz

Keegan

PostPosted: 04/05/05 10:01 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The next stage of the Mercury getting every decent Australian PG plan should be the acquisition of Erin Phillips. She's got the potential to be something special.
hellcat24

PostPosted: 04/06/05 5:02 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Keegan wrote:
The next stage of the Mercury getting every decent Australian PG plan should be the acquisition of Erin Phillips. She's got the potential to be something special.

Agreed.

Wouldn't mind seeing Jacinta Hamilton get a look in for training camp next year.

Keegan

PostPosted: 04/06/05 7:40 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

hellcat24 wrote:
Wouldn't mind seeing Jacinta Hamilton get a look in for training camp next year.

I'm still wondering how Grima and Summerton have invites and she doesn't.
hellcat24

PostPosted: 04/06/05 9:40 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Keegan wrote:
hellcat24 wrote:

I'm still wondering how Grima and Summerton have invites and she doesn't.

You aren't the only one!

Shaqfan

PostPosted: 04/06/05 8:25 pm    ::: Very Happy Reply Reply with quote

I am so happy that Kristi will be playing for the Lynx once again. I am a big fan of hers, and really missed her last summer. I think she is a great point guard and am happy that the Lynx organization realized we need her back.

The Blimp

PostPosted: 04/06/05 9:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I saw some of her play in the Olympics and its true that she was impressing some people. I just don't know if McConnel-Serio is one of them.

caune

PostPosted: 04/06/05 10:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The Blimp wrote:
I saw some of her play in the Olympics and its true that she was impressing some people. I just don't know if McConnel-Serio is one of them.

Umm, if Susie wasn't impressed do you think the Lynx would be offering her a contract??

The Blimp

PostPosted: 04/06/05 10:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I can't be expected to account for, or explain what may or may not impress members of the Lynx organisation. My thoughts on the relative merits of McConnel-Serio's selections and her preferences in point-guards haven't been relevant up to now and its a situation I can't see changing very soon. Everyone is happier that way.
Very Happy

MNfan22

PostPosted: 04/06/05 11:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The Blimp wrote:
I can't be expected to account for, or explain what may or may not impress members of the Lynx organisation. My thoughts on the relative merits of McConnel-Serio's selections and her preferences in point-guards haven't been relevant up to now and its a situation I can't see changing very soon. Everyone is happier that way.
Very Happy

If Kristi wasn't comfortable with the situation I would assume she'd sign with someone else. We'll find out soon.

As for SMS selection of guards, considering all the teams that are in search of the 'perfect' PG to run their team, why would her selections over her 2 seasons seem so irrelevant ?

mb

PostPosted: 04/06/05 11:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Please add me to the list pondering how Jacinta Hamilton doesn't get an invite along with some of her countrywomen.

The Blimp

PostPosted: 04/06/05 11:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

MNfan22 wrote:
The Blimp wrote:
Very Happy

As for SMS selection of guards, considering all the teams that are in search of the 'perfect' PG to run their team, why would her selections over her 2 seasons seem so irrelevant ?

No, my point was, my thoughts on McConnel-Serio's preferences were irrelevant. Her thoughts are relevant, but previously she seemed to prefer to bench the Aussie, Kristie Harrower. I felt that Harrower played well for her country in the limited coverage of them I saw. Team USA HC Chancellor liked her game. I was surprised to learn at that stage that she was a Lynx, I couldn't remember seeing her play for them.

accommodatingly

PostPosted: 04/07/05 12:17 am    ::: harrower Reply Reply with quote

The Blimp wrote:
No, my point was, my thoughts on McConnel-Serio's preferences were irrelevant. Her thoughts are relevant, but previously she seemed to prefer to bench the Aussie, Kristie Harrower. I felt that Harrower played well for her country in the limited coverage of them I saw. Team USA HC Chancellor liked her game. I was surprised to learn at that stage that she was a Lynx, I couldn't remember seeing her play for them.

Blimp, not sure if you know this, but Kristi didn't play in the WNBA in 2004-- she chose to stay home and practice for the Opals (Australian national team). Kristi did play with the Lynx in 2003, Suzie's first season, where she came off the bench (for significant minutes) at the 1 behind Teresa Edwards. She really didn't like not starting. I believe that team had chemistry issues which neither the '04, nor the '05, Lynx are likely to have.

The Blimp

PostPosted: 04/07/05 12:33 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Thanks for pointing that out, you're right I wasn't aware that she wasn't at the Lynx in the period in question. Looks as if I owe Coach McConnel-Serio an apology, she can hardly be blamed for not starting a player who just happened to be on another continent!!! My bad.
Hopefully if and when Harrower signs that contract she won't be disadvantaged by chemistry.
Smile

Shaqfan

PostPosted: 04/07/05 12:41 am    ::: Harrower Reply Reply with quote

When Darling was traded I breathed a sigh of relief, because I thought to myself, hey someone is looking out for the benefit of the team. Not sure if it was Suzie, Roger Griffith, Glenn Taylor, or a combination of any of the above.

I thought Kristi did a great job when she was here. I felt way more confident when the ball was in her hands instead of Teresa. I know T is a legend in the womens game, and for many years she was spectacular, but not these last few years. She is a good role model for the younger players, Tamika seems to adore her, and T also helped Svet out last year.

As far as last year, well Kristi made it clear that she wanted a certain amount of minutes to get her prepared for the Olympics. The Lynx could not guarantee that, therefore Harrower didnt come back.

The coach went with Darling, who also played at Penn State (Suzie's college team) and played for the Cleveland Rockers. For whatever reason, it seemed that Helen would be getting the majority of the minutes.

I was happy to see that someone, whoever it was, realize that we needed a change in our point guard position. We have too much talent on this team not to be very successful this season. With a healthy Katie Smith, Tamika, Svet, not to mention Ohlde and Hayden, well we just need a point guard.

The Blimp

PostPosted: 04/07/05 12:51 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

There is no doubt that the Lynx have serious potential and some great players.
Smile

Keegan

PostPosted: 04/07/05 7:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

MNfan22 wrote:
If Kristi wasn't comfortable with the situation I would assume she'd sign with someone else. We'll find out soon.

Well she's a RFA. Minny could match any offer made to her (and maybe they did *cough*).

That said, I think Kristi will fit in nicely and be happy with the 2005 Lynx.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: