RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Chill win NWBL Championship...Becky BigTime!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Str8_Butta

PostPosted: 04/01/05 11:47 pm    ::: Chill win NWBL Championship...Becky BigTime! Reply Reply with quote

http://www.nwbl.com/news.asp?intId=1565

Str8_Butta

PostPosted: 04/02/05 3:41 am    ::: Re: Chill win NWBL Championship...Becky BigTime! Reply Reply with quote

Quote:
Colorado Wins NWBL Title Over Dallas Friday, April 01, 2005

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Becky Hammon Wins MVP With 31 Points

LOVELAND, Colo. - Everyone who has followed the National Women´s Basketball League (NWBL) this season knew that Friday night´s championship game between Dallas and Colorado would be a dogfight, and the team´s didn´t disappoint.

Colorado was able to escape with a 77-70 victory over the Dallas Fury.

The game was physical from the beginning with each team collecting fouls early and often, the trend continued in the second half. With 5:05 remaining in the game, Dallas´s frustration began to show as La´Neisha Caufield committed a hard foul on a Becky Hammon drive. Caufield was called for the intentional foul on the play to give Hammon two free throws and the ball on the side.

After the hard foul by Dallas, Colorado would stretch the lead from 15 to 19 points, it´s biggest of the game.

Minutes earlier on a fast break by Hammon and Katie Cronin, Anna DeForge took out both players with a physical play resulting in a 3-point opportunity. Hammon converted the chance for Colorado.

The game that featured the league´s number one scorer in Hammon and the number two scorer in DeForge turned into a defensive battle, as both teams clamped down on the defensive end.

Hammon had the better game of the two as she finished with a game-high 31 points. With her effort of 31 points, six assists and three rebounds in the game, Hammon wrapped up her second most valuable player award of the season. She also won the MVP award for the 2005 NWBL All-Star Game held in February.

DeForge struggled all night long from the field as she finished just 7-of-21 from the field, good for 19 points. Much of her struggles on the offensive end were contributed to the stellar defense played by Cronin. Cronin held DeForge to just 1-of-8 shooting from the floor in the first half. Four of DeForge´s seven field goals came in the final four minutes when Colorado had the game in hand.

The only other players to score in double-figures for the Chill was Cronin, who finished with 19 points, and Erin Scholz who scored 10 points in just 13 minutes. Ruth Riley also had a solid game as she ended the night with nine points and 10 rebounds. She was one of three players to play all 40 minutes in the game for Colorado. Hammon and Cronin were the others.

Jia Perkins and Joanne Aluka scored 13 points a piece for the Fury, and Caufield added 10 points of her own.

With the win, Colorado won the 2005 NWBL Championship of the Americas, something they missed by just one game last season. Dallas defeated the Chill by four-points to win last season´s championship game, which was held in Dallas.

Str8_Butta

PostPosted: 04/02/05 4:04 am    ::: Re: Chill win NWBL Championship...Becky BigTime! Reply Reply with quote

I wonder if this quote from NLC got Becky fired up for the game...

Quote:
Becky is a heck of a player, but I don’t think she has the overall ability of Anna as far as athleticism,” Lieberman said. “(DeForge) is 6-foot and she defends. They’re both scorers, but that’s as far as the comparison goes for me.

or this one...

Quote:
I’m a big fan of Becky’s and how she plays, but the key to that team is Ruth Riley,” Lieberman said. “I think she makes things open up for Becky, but I’m not sure Becky opens up things for her. Riley is one of the best post players in the world.

If Becky is knocking down her perimeter jumpers (which she has been), shouldn't that open things up for Ruth down low?

http://www.lovelandfyi.com/sports-story.asp?ID=33

Keegan

PostPosted: 04/02/05 9:44 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I see NL still has "foot in mouth" syndrome Laughing

Anna is more athletic than Becky and may defend a bit better but 6-foot? NL - your training isn't that good!
CamrnCrz1974

PostPosted: 04/02/05 1:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

If Anna is six feet, Taurasi is 6-1. Having stood next to her several times, Anna is 5-10 (and Taurasi is 5-11).

badger

PostPosted: 04/02/05 2:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

lol Very Happy I would think that from your and Keegan's "vantage point," it would be quite difficult distinguishing between 6 ft., 5"11, or 5'10. At any rate, it is nice to have you back on board. I've been wondering where you've been for the past week but thought you may have been in mourning with the double-losses of the Duke teams.

Keegan

PostPosted: 04/03/05 8:53 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Anna is only an inch or two taller than me. Cam is certainly an inch shorter than me (despite claims to the contrary Razz Wink )
dtsnms

PostPosted: 04/03/05 9:02 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Keegan wrote:
Anna is only an inch or two taller than me. Cam is certainly an inch shorter than me (despite claims to the contrary Razz Wink )

Oh that's way too much information! Oh, sorry, you mean height!

Keegan

PostPosted: 04/03/05 9:07 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

dtsnms wrote:
Keegan wrote:

Oh that's way too much information! Oh, sorry, you mean height!

I guess somebody had to make that call Razz
mb

PostPosted: 04/03/05 10:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

As if everybody didn't already know Cam has short man's syndrome Wink

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: