RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

My new mock draft
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Keegan

PostPosted: 03/31/05 6:50 pm    ::: My new mock draft Reply Reply with quote

Since it's all the rage at the moment...

http://www.insaneplatypus.com
wadethered

PostPosted: 03/31/05 10:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'd say that's one of the better mock drafts we've seen. Good job!

I for one really hope that Wecker ends up with the Silver Stars. She can be the outside shooter that they need so much and could be AWESOME on the wings with Ferdinand.

SORF

PostPosted: 03/31/05 11:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Keegan, I'm hearing Temeka Johnson may go earlier than the Liberty pick. Wink

Keegan

PostPosted: 03/31/05 11:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

SORF wrote:
Keegan, I'm hearing Temeka Johnson may go earlier than the Liberty pick. Wink

Is that a hint you have info that the Comets are going to take her?

If so, well that's why I do more than one mock draft...

EDIT: Not that you would have to state it so openly... Wink
Alepp03

PostPosted: 03/31/05 11:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

If Van picks Johnson I will be furious. If Dionnah Jackson is on the board, and we go with Johnson, I will just be ticked. I like Johnson a lot, but Jackson brings the passing and scoring to the table with the same ball control, court awareness, as well as a bigger body, but with good speed still and mobility. Get with it Van.

PostPosted: 04/01/05 12:00 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Temeka Johnson has one real problem - she's 5'2". That's a pretty big hurdle IMHO and in this draft, there are bigger PGs with intriguing all-round games.
SORF

PostPosted: 04/01/05 12:10 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Quote:
Is that a hint you have info that the Comets are going to take her?

That's what I'm hearing right now. Smile

icey23

PostPosted: 04/01/05 12:14 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Alepp03 wrote:
If Van picks Johnson I will be furious. If Dionnah Jackson is on the board, and we go with Johnson, I will just be ticked. I like Johnson a lot, but Jackson brings the passing and scoring to the table with the same ball control, court awareness, as well as a bigger body, but with good speed still and mobility. Get with it Van.

Johnson has all of that only thing is she is short and she stills scores over big girls. She also plays in best league the SEC.

She can score she drop 28 on Arkansas.

PostPosted: 04/01/05 12:22 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Keegan, I agree with you about TJ's height...I think the shorter pgs are a thing of the past for the WNBA. But, Van likes La. point guards that invoke visions of KP.

We will have to wait and see if he really does pick TJ...he has a knack for disinformation.

Smoovie

PostPosted: 04/01/05 1:58 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Alepp03 wrote:

It wouldn't be the worst thing he could do with that pick. I'm still nervous as hell, that he's going to do something stupid with it

(¸.•´ (¸.•´ .•´ ¸¸.•¨¯`•.•´*~Smoov
pilight

PostPosted: 04/01/05 7:34 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

http://www.twincities.com/mld/twincities/sports/columnists/charley_walters/11281212.htm

There's talk in Indiana that the Fever, who have the No. 2 overall pick in the April 16 WNBA draft, plan to take the Gophers' Janel McCarville if she's available.

PostPosted: 04/01/05 7:47 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

SORF wrote:
Keegan, I agree with you about TJ's height...I think the shorter pgs are a thing of the past for the WNBA. But, Van likes La. point guards that invoke visions of KP.

that's exactly why he would pick her. and she's the only pg who's come down the pike lately with enough of the goods that he might actually shut up, siddown and let play the way she knows how. this could be his last shot at a pg of perrot's qualities. someone of her size goes so against the tide of today's game, but there could be a (uh-oh, i'm gonna use that word i hate) tremendous payoff to such a huge gamble. one way she has an edge is, imo, there will be no learning curve for her; i think she'll walk onto the court and do the do right off. if she does, she'll already be better than some current pgs. i agree, keegan, there are other choices, but i can't say as i've seen any who come anywhere near johnson's talents. her instincts are otherworldly. that stuff just can't be coached. she has really turned my opinion around over the course of this last season. that's not to say she won't be vertically challenged, but there's a chance her other talents will neutralize the down side.

PostPosted: 04/01/05 9:53 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

There's talk in Indiana that the Fever, who have the No. 2 overall pick in the April 16 WNBA draft, plan to take the Gophers' Janel McCarville if she's available.

If they do, I'll give up my season ticket. We need 5 players on defense not 4 and we also need a shot blocker. Irvine is my choice and also the choice of a Fever player. Don't jump on me Goofer fans, I'm not going to change my mind!

womens_hoops

PostPosted: 04/01/05 10:05 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ILuvCatch wrote:
Don't jump on me Goofer fans, I'm not going to change my mind!

pretty please? not even if i jump very softly?

Four

PostPosted: 04/01/05 11:04 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Why do people think McCarville sucks on defense?

I don't want her to go to Indiana, even though they do have the nicest uniforms.

womens_hoops

PostPosted: 04/01/05 11:25 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Four wrote:
Why do people think McCarville sucks on defense?

Because rebounding is apparently meaningless. And so even if you are the best defensive rebounder in the country, you still suck at defense.

http://sports.yahoo.com/ncaaw/stats/bycategory?cat=Fielding&sort=37&conference_id=NCAAW

It remains true even if you get a lot of steals and block quite a few shots. And even if you are often able to effectively defend people 2, 3, and 4 inches taller than you.

Because people base their opinion on two games: first Ohio State game, and Baylor game.

The truth is that her biggest stuggles, when she struggles, are at the other end. The two big weaknesses in her game are turnovers and scoring, especially the ability to score when defended by bigger posts.

womens_hoops

PostPosted: 04/01/05 12:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
http://www.twincities.com/mld/twincities/sports/columnists/charley_walters/11281212.htm

do ya think there was really "talk in Indiana," or did Shooter just look at Keegan's draft last night before putting that down?

The latter seems more likely to me. I guess he's decided that he no longer needs to give credit where it's due, and that he can just go ahead and make it sound like he has some secret sources at the Fever.

Four

PostPosted: 04/01/05 12:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

She wouldn't have half the turnovers if her teamates would catch the ball.

Everyone that McCarville goes up against is either at her height or taller. So I don't get how you can say that she doesn't do well when people are bigger than her.

But you are going to see only the things you want to see, and if you don't feel like enjoying yourself while watching a great player like McCarville, than thats just too bad.

womens_hoops

PostPosted: 04/01/05 1:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Four wrote:

But you are going to see only the things you want to see, and if you don't feel like enjoying yourself while watching a great player like McCarville, than thats just too bad.

yeah, I never enjoy myself watching Janel. Ask anyone. Cool

accommodatingly

PostPosted: 04/01/05 2:20 pm    ::: why does no other player provoke this much disagreement? Reply Reply with quote

Four wrote:

She'd also have almost twice the assists...

accommodatingly

PostPosted: 04/01/05 2:24 pm    ::: why does no other player provoke this much disagreement? Reply Reply with quote

Four wrote:

She'd also have almost twice the assists...

womens_hoops

PostPosted: 04/01/05 2:29 pm    ::: Re: why does no other player provoke this much disagreement? Reply Reply with quote

True, both of you, that crappy teammates have cost Janel some turnovers and contributed some assists.

However -- probably a quarter or so of her turnovers are from traveling and charges. Some of these (of course) are bad calls -- I think some refs see the huge pivots and say, "that must be a travel!" But sometimes she just gets happy feet.

We also run a lot of "high risk" plays with Janel as passer.

Two plays in particular (1) Janel posts up, high or low, she gets fed, post-feeder immediately cuts (sometimes followed by another cutter on alternate side), and Janel makes a no-look, behind-the-back bounce pass. And (2) Janel gets ball at top of the key, Jamie seals under the basket, and Janel throws a lob.

Both plays produce very easy buckets when they work -- wide open layups. Both plays also produce a lot of turnovers, because they involve thread the needle passes, either through traffic, or over the top.

High risk plays are ok. Suppose that you run those plays, and 50% result in layups, but 50% in turnovers. If your possessions otherwise yield hoops only 40% of the time, then it's great to run them despite the huge number of turnovers you rack up. (assuming no offsetting increase in fast break points for the opponent.) And it's a little unfair that the passer gets penalized just because she's carrying out the team strategy.

So some of it isn't Janel's fault -- it's just part of the the Gophers (not so great) offense.

At the same time... some of it is her fault. Sometimes she tries for those passes when she shouldn't. Sometimes you have to read the risk and abandon the play. Sometimes she fails to do that properly.

CamrnCrz1974

PostPosted: 04/01/05 2:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I wonder what would happen if Courtney Paris, instead of LaTonya Blue, were to run into one of the McCarville picks. Two forces of nature going at it...

4ever_bball_fan

PostPosted: 04/01/05 2:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Sue Bird was the turnover queen her first two years in the W. Mostly because she was accustomed to her team mates being where they needed to be when she ran a high risk play. She cleaned all that up last year and that no doubt added to the Storm's success.

High risk plays require a lot of confidence in each other as a team.

Alepp03

PostPosted: 04/01/05 2:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

In a little more than 4 years, we can test out that Courntey Paris VS. Janel McCarville thing... eek.

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: