RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

April Fools

View previous topic :: View next topic  
pilight

PostPosted: 03/30/05 9:00 am    ::: April Fools Reply Reply with quote

The WNBA has been subjected to April Fools jokes in the media in each of the last three years.

Last year it was Shawntinice Polk coming out early.

Two years ago it was Sheila Bronson.

Three years ago it was Jeff Van Gundy coaching the Mystics.

What will we get this year?

PostPosted: 03/30/05 9:16 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Mystics name Linda Hargrove GM...oh wait!

8^)

BCBG25

PostPosted: 03/30/05 11:12 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Blaze resigns...

PostPosted: 03/30/05 11:30 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

BCBG25 wrote:
Blaze resigns...

Phil Jackson to coach the LA Sparks. Laughing

PostPosted: 03/30/05 12:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

VeProfessor revealed to be leader of Mercury Brigade.

dtsnms

PostPosted: 03/30/05 12:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Cam posts on the Boneyard as HuskyNan. Embarassed

Alepp03

PostPosted: 03/30/05 12:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'm transferring to Duke...

PostPosted: 03/30/05 1:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

dtsnms wrote:

Laughing

doggydaddy or huskyrob are much better choices in my opinion Very Happy .

FREEDOM4CHRISTON

PostPosted: 03/30/05 1:22 pm    ::: Re: April Fools Reply Reply with quote

the refs stop sending ut to the ft line and they actually have to make some fgs.

PostPosted: 03/30/05 2:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Nancy Lieberman replaces Rene Portland as Penn State coach.

{yeah, I know, not WNBA-related, technically, unless she brought Anna DeForge along as assistant coach- was the weirdest thing I could think of off the top of my head}

PostPosted: 03/30/05 4:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

NEW YORK – In a surprise turn of events to help turn around the fortunes of her WNBA team, basketball hall of famer Carol Blazejowski has resigned as senior vice president and general manager of the New York Liberty to become its fourth coach.

Blazejowski, 48, will start her new role immediately. Although the dismissals of current coach Patty Coyle and her assistant, Marianne Stanley, have not been formally announced, Blazejowski said she expects to name a new coaching staff to join her before the WNBA’s pre-draft combine gets under way next week in New York.

The general manager, who has come under fire for failing to orchestrate a championship during her eight-year tenure, said she was compelled to take the coaching job after “a challenge and a dare” with Cablevision CEO Charles Dolan, whose family owns the Liberty and the New York Knicks, came to a head. “Dolie jammed me up, saying he never liked my choices in coaches and players, and I said ‘I challenge you to find someone who can coach this team better.’ He said he would, I said some things, and it all really spun out of control,” Blazejowski said. “When the dust settled, I agreed to coach the team myself, to prove that things weren’t as bad as he thought.”

League insiders speculated that accepting the coaching challenge was the only way Blazejowski could remain on Dolan’s payroll in any capacity. But the former hoops star insisted that Dolan promised her a more prominent role in his family’s $2.3 billion empire if her coaching acumen translated into a profitable 2005 season for the Liberty. “Let’s be realistic. A championship crown is the goal, but the cash is what counts,” she said.

Blazejowski said her new assistants will support her and the team, “but each and every decision, from draft picks to starting lineups to every play called on the floor, will be my own.

“I’m only playing this game long enough to get to the next level,” she added. “But while I’m at it, I’m going to give some thought to suiting up myself.”

Key Liberty players were not reached for comment because it was too early to determine which ones Blazejowski considered essential to the team or who would be remaining when New York's regular season tips off on May 22.

Last edited by sambista on 03/30/05 6:38 pm; edited 2 times in total
CamrnCrz1974

PostPosted: 03/30/05 4:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

BBallFanCT729 wrote:
dtsnms wrote:

doggydaddy or huskyrob are much better choices in my opinion Very Happy .

Messages Cam is sending by posting as Olde Coach... ROFL!

KeiraNY

PostPosted: 03/30/05 4:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Great media alert sebibb!! LOL!!

sebibb wrote:
NEW YORK – In a surprise turn of events to help turn around the fortunes of her WNBA team, basketball hall of famer Carol Blazejowski has resigned as senior vice president and general manager of the New York Liberty to become its fourth coach.

Blazejowski, 48, will start her new role immediately. Although the dismissals of current coach Patty Coyle and her assistant, Marianne Stanley, have not been formally announced, Blazejowski said she expects to name a new coaching staff to join her before the WNBA’s pre-draft combine gets under way next week in New York.

The general manager, who has come under fire for failing to orchestrate a championship during her eight-year tenure, said she was compelled to take the coaching job after “a challenge and a dare” with Cablevision CEO Charles Dolan, whose family owns the Liberty and the New York Knicks, came to a head. “Dolie jammed me up, saying he never liked my choices in coaches and players, and I said ‘I challenge you to find someone who can coach this team better.’ He said he would, I said some things, and it all really spun out of control,” Blazejowski said. “When the dust settled, I agreed to coach the team myself, to prove that things weren’t as bad as he thought.”

League insiders speculated that accepting the coaching challenge was the only way Blazejowski could remain on Dolan’s payroll in any capacity. But the former hoops star insisted that Dolan promised her a more prominent role in his family’s $2.3 billion empire if her coaching acumen translated into a profitable 2005 season for the Liberty. “Let’s be realistic. A championship crown is the goal, but the cash is what counts,” she said.

Blazejowski said her new assistants will support her and the team, “but each and every decision, from draft picks to starting lineups to every play called on the floor, will be my own.

“I’m only playing this game long enough to get to the next level,” she added. But while I’m at it, I’m going to give some thought to suiting up myself.”

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: