Charlotte - Monique Currie
Indiana - Sandora Irvin
Phoenix - Janel McCarville
SA - Kendra Wecker
Houston - Tan White
Washington - Jacqueline Batteast
Detroit - Kristin Haynie
Connecticut - Sancho Lyttle
Sacramento - Caity Matter (this is a hard one for me)
New York - Dionnah Jackson
Minnesota - Temeka Johnson
Seattle - Shyra Ely
Washington - Tanisha Wright

CamrnCrz1974

PostPosted: 03/30/05 1:02 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I just don't see Caitty Matter as a first round pick. As far as WNBA prospects, I would rank Erica Smith-Taylor and Nikita Bell over her. Matter is a fine player, and an excellent shooter, but her ability to defend and the timing of her release make me question her as a first round pick.

Keegan

PostPosted: 03/30/05 1:03 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Indy would probably go for McCarville over Irvin (despite their claims of wanting an 'athletic post player').
CamrnCrz1974

PostPosted: 03/30/05 1:05 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It wouldn't surprise me if Indiana took McCarville or Tan White.

wadethered

PostPosted: 03/30/05 1:12 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

CamrnCrz1974 wrote:
I just don't see Caitty Matter as a first round pick. As far as WNBA prospects, I would rank Erica Smith-Taylor and Nikita Bell over her. Matter is a fine player, and an excellent shooter, but her ability to defend and the timing of her release make me question her as a first round pick.

I can't see either Bell or Smith-Taylor as a first rounder. To tell you the truth, I have no idea who the Monarchs will pick, I really don't know what they need, so I went with perimeter shooting, since that has been their downfall the last couple of seasons (although Powell and Lawson together will be pretty dangerous).

What's wrong with Matter's release? Look smooth to me.

CamrnCrz1974

PostPosted: 03/30/05 1:19 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Matter has trouble with athletic defenders (I have seen her a number of times in person...over 10). Also, she cannot put the ball on the floor and pull up for a mid-range jumper...just not in her arsenal.

Smith-Taylor is much more athletic and can get her shot better. Bell's stock is based on pure athleticism alone and the ability to create off the dribble (Bell's outside shot is questionable). Given the athleticism of the W, I would take both those players over Matter.

Mysticwiz

PostPosted: 03/30/05 1:31 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Jacqueline Batteast?? gawd i hope not...

to expound a bit... so we would have NO long range threat...then again MA will get his NBA style...plus would that mean AB would stay at the pg??

p_d_swanson

PostPosted: 03/30/05 1:43 am    ::: Re: Updated Mock Draft Reply Reply with quote

I think Sacramento would favor Wright over Matter, although either would of course be trumped by your garden-variety power forward...

Keegan

PostPosted: 03/30/05 1:45 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Maybe Sac will take Shyra Ely Laughing

If they do, at least Anne won't have the chance to take her! She could even make a pick that's useful - like Ro Hodges, Chelsea Newton, Erica Taylor etc
wadethered

PostPosted: 03/30/05 1:48 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Keegan wrote:
Maybe Sac will take Shyra Ely Laughing

If they do, at least Anne won't have the chance to take her! She could even make a pick that's useful - like Ro Hodges, Chelsea Newton, Erica Taylor etc

I can't imagine Chelsea Newton being more useful than Shyra Ely, and Erika Taylor is anything but in WNBA condition, but OK.

Keegan

PostPosted: 03/30/05 1:51 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ely is the last thing Seattle needs - a 3/4 type with limited perimeter skills. Seattle already has 3/4 types (even with more perimeter skills) - Alicia Thompson and Trina Frierson. Seattle is better off going for pure perimeter players (backup PG wouldn't hurt either but that's not a top priority).

I'd rather have Kristen Mann over Ely (no Kraayeveld).

Last edited by Keegan on 03/30/05 1:54 am; edited 1 time in total
p_d_swanson

PostPosted: 03/30/05 1:53 am    ::: Re: Updated Mock Draft Reply Reply with quote

For some reason, I still get the impression that Connecticut will take Feenstra at #8, presuming they don't trade the pick. And Pondexter has one more week to change her mind and shuffle everyone's mock draft...

Keegan

PostPosted: 03/30/05 1:54 am    ::: Re: Updated Mock Draft Reply Reply with quote

p_d_swanson wrote:
And Pondexter has one more week to change her mind and shuffle everyone's mock draft...

Indeed Wink
CamrnCrz1974

PostPosted: 03/30/05 1:55 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Quote:
Erika Taylor is anything but in WNBA condition, but OK.

Wait one year. A team should gamble on her. With the 13th pick, Washington should look at her. She would be a nice backup shooting guard this year.

Mysticwiz

PostPosted: 03/30/05 1:58 am    ::: Re: Updated Mock Draft Reply Reply with quote

p_d_swanson wrote:
For some reason, I still get the impression that Connecticut will take Feenstra at #8, presuming they don't trade the pick. And Pondexter has one more week to change her mind and shuffle everyone's mock draft...

i think the person that will kill mock drafts this year will be Temeka Johnson.

pilight

PostPosted: 03/30/05 6:16 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Mysticwiz wrote:
Jacqueline Batteast?? gawd i hope not...

to expound a bit... so we would have NO long range threat...then again MA will get his NBA style...plus would that mean AB would stay at the pg??

I wish someone would explain the appeal of Batteast. I've seen her on TV several times and she's never impressed. She's got nothing on Ely.

PostPosted: 03/30/05 7:20 am    ::: Re: Updated Mock Draft Reply Reply with quote

Mysticwiz wrote:
i think the person that will kill mock drafts this year will be Temeka Johnson.

agreed. she's the true wild card in this draft. and i have a feeling that, if she's tapped in the first round, whoever taps her, in that moment of hindsight it will seem like a brilliant choice.

PostPosted: 03/30/05 9:57 am    ::: Re: Updated Mick Draft Reply Reply with quote

I don't think Shyra Ely will go that far down! Her stock has risen considerably. CT could easily pick her over Sancho Lyttle. Wouldn't that be a kick in the pants for all the TN fans?? LOL!!

Indiana will take McCarville...which means we'll have to see her big ass self 4 times a season. Her & Nat together are like two Mack trucks! Ouch!

wadethered wrote:
Indiana - Sandora Irvin
SA - Kendra Wecker
Houston - Tan White
Detroit - Kristin Haynie
Seattle - Shyra Ely

Slovydal

PostPosted: 03/30/05 10:01 am    ::: Re: Updated Mick Draft Reply Reply with quote

I guess "mick" draft was a typo. I read this expecting a clever St Patrick's day joke...

KeiraNY

PostPosted: 03/30/05 10:04 am    ::: Re: Updated Mick Draft Reply Reply with quote

I forgot to mention...swap Caity Matter for potentially Loree Moore. I wouldn't mind if the Libs drafted her!

If the Libs draft: Loree Moore, Katie Feenstra & Jamie Carey, I'd be VERY happy!!! (Feenstra will get rid of Donafoe and I'm ALL for that!)

First string:
Becky (you just KNOW she won't come from the bench)
VJ
C-Rob
Baranova
Wauters/Frett (first part of the season while the Waffle gets her sweet behind back)

2nd string
PG Carey
SG Moore
SF Christon
PF D-Train
C- Frett

With Stacy Stephens & Feenstra filling the blanks and play the garbage minutes (toss up for roster spot -- it's 11 right?)

wadethered wrote:
Indiana - Sandora Irvin
SA - Kendra Wecker
Houston - Tan White
Detroit - Kristin Haynie
Seattle - Shyra Ely

dtsnms

PostPosted: 03/30/05 10:10 am    ::: Re: Updated Mick Draft Reply Reply with quote

Slovydal wrote:
I guess "mick" draft was a typo. I read this expecting a clever St Patrick's day joke...

My mick draft:

1. Guiness Stout
2. Black and Tan
3. Boiled potatoes
4. Irish Cream flavored coffee

accommodatingly

PostPosted: 03/30/05 10:17 am    ::: Yep Reply Reply with quote

CamrnCrz1974 wrote:
Matter has trouble with athletic defenders (I have seen her a number of times in person...over 10). Also, she cannot put the ball on the floor and pull up for a mid-range jumper...just not in her arsenal.

Smith-Taylor is much more athletic and can get her shot better. Bell's stock is based on pure athleticism alone and the ability to create off the dribble (Bell's outside shot is questionable). Given the athleticism of the W, I would take both those players over Matter.

I've seen OSU three and a half times this year, twice against the Gophers, half the reg-season game against Rutgers, and the Sweet 16 match vs. RU. Each time Matter has been mostly shut down. Like Mazzante last year, she's depended in the past on an offense designed to get her open; also (as Ted and others have pointed out) she's benefited from the fact that almost everybody needs to double-team Davenport. I wouldn't draft her.

I [heart] Haynie, but does anyone else like Jess Strom? Watching her this year has made me wonder how good she'd look if Penn State had real posts she could pass to. Is she a promising second-rounder?

dtsnms

PostPosted: 03/30/05 10:20 am    ::: Re: Yep Reply Reply with quote

accommodatingly wrote:
CamrnCrz1974 wrote:

I've seen OSU three and a half times this year, twice against the Gophers, half the reg-season game against Rutgers, and the Sweet 16 match vs. RU. Each time Matter has been mostly shut down. Like Mazzante last year, she's depended in the past on an offense designed to get her open; also (as Ted and others have pointed out) she's benefited from the fact that almost everybody needs to double-team Davenport. I wouldn't draft her.

I [heart] Haynie, but does anyone else like Jess Strom? Watching her this year has made me wonder how good she'd look if Penn State had real posts she could pass to. Is she a promising second-rounder?

I like Strom, but she reminds me (in limited viewing) of Valek. Is she a better all around player?

Alepp03

PostPosted: 03/30/05 10:28 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Strom and Valek do not compare. Strom is leagues ahead of Valek offensively and has better size and quickness.

By the time Valek was a senior, she seemed to forget how to even put points on the board. She was more impressive in her younger seasons. Strom was able to make a lot of tough threes this year while being keyed on, did some driving, handled the ball well, and just lacked anything inside to go to. Mystics/Lynx would serve themselves well to take Strom (assuming Jackson is off the board).

PostPosted: 03/30/05 10:31 am    ::: Re: Updated Mick Draft Reply Reply with quote

wadethered wrote:
Indiana - Sandora Irvin
SA - Kendra Wecker
Houston - Tan White
Detroit - Kristin Haynie
Seattle - Shyra Ely

...Haynie at #7 to Detroit seems a little high to me, although with MSU's tourney success and the "Whalen effect" it might happen.
Seems to me that BL will be looking for a bigger, perimeter scorer, maybe he'll enlighten us here(yeah right.) 8^)
No Kristen Mann in the first round?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: