RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Not another one?!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
1carol

PostPosted: 03/28/05 5:33 pm    ::: Not another one?! Reply Reply with quote

Forgive my naivete but I just discovered that Baylor is a Bapist University
Another school headed by homophobes & bigots. Those that attend sign allegiance to their doctrin. Where I was waivering, I'm not indecisive any more! Thus, as I go to the Tempe Regional game tonight, my allegiance will most definitely be with North Carolina. We must all have a prayer meeting to sic our deities on Baylor & get North Carolina the win

readyAIMfire53

PostPosted: 03/29/05 1:04 am    ::: Re: Not another one?! Reply Reply with quote

1carol wrote:
Forgive my naivete but I just discovered that Baylor is a Bapist University
Another school headed by homophobes & bigots. Those that attend sign allegiance to their doctrin. Where I was waivering, I'm not indecisive any more! Thus, as I go to the Tempe Regional game tonight, my allegiance will most definitely be with North Carolina. We must all have a prayer meeting to sic our deities on Baylor & get North Carolina the win

While I appreciate your sentiments, rooting for North Carolina for the above reason is a little mis-guided. While Baylor, as a private institution, can put homophobic language in their student policies, North Carolina, as a publicly funded university, is doing the same kind of discrimination behind the scenes: at least with the women's basketball program. coach Hatchell holds mandatory prayer meetings, which she promises the parents of her recruits she will do. Why do you think she's so successful recruiting in the bible belt?

~rAf

~rAf
accommodatingly

PostPosted: 03/29/05 1:28 am    ::: Re: Not another one?! Reply Reply with quote

readyAIMfire53 wrote:
While I appreciate your sentiments, rooting for North Carolina for the above reason is a little mis-guided. While Baylor, as a private institution, can put homophobic language in their student policies, North Carolina, as a publicly funded university, is doing the same kind of discrimination behind the scenes: at least with the women's basketball program. coach Hatchell holds mandatory prayer meetings, which she promises the parents of her recruits she will do. Why do you think she's so successful recruiting in the bible belt?

Yikes. I believe Kay Yow (NC State) is also very devout, and I seem to recall that she holds similar meetings: I hope I'm wrong.

Coaches at private religious institutions are and should be free to hold team prayer meetings: if you don't like the religion, choose another college.

Coaches at public institutions should not. (I have no problem with such coaches speaking about their own personal faith, and if that's all Kay Yow does, fine with me: I hope she gets well soon.)

CamrnCrz1974

PostPosted: 03/29/05 2:49 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Quote:
North Carolina, as a publicly funded university, is doing the same kind of discrimination behind the scenes: at least with the women's basketball program. coach Hatchell holds mandatory prayer meetings, which she promises the parents of her recruits she will do. Why do you think she's so successful recruiting in the bible belt?

ReadyAIMFire is being kind with her comments. Sylvia Hatchell has told players in recruiting that they should not go to Duke because of the "lesbians" at the school. She said this to more than one recruit...and those recruits ended up picking Duke.

mercfan3

PostPosted: 03/29/05 1:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ReadyAIMFire is being kind with her comments. Sylvia Hatchell has told players in recruiting that they should not go to Duke because of the "lesbians" at the school. She said this to more than one recruit...and those recruits ended up picking Duke.[/quote]

I think it'd be funny if some stupid coach, who uses this type of recruiting method, ended up telling this to a lesbian...of course I have a warped since of humor..

UCThreeD

PostPosted: 03/29/05 2:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mercfan3 wrote:
I think it'd be funny if some stupid coach, who uses this type of recruiting method, ended up telling this to a lesbian...of course I have a warped since of humor..

I guess I have a warped sense of humor too because I was wondering the same thing.

OldMan

PostPosted: 03/30/05 1:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'm sure that's happened in all the years that she's been recruiting. But what would result? Either the player would say she is gay, in which case Hatchell walks out; or she keeps it to herslef and goes to Duke or somewhere else.

Given the amount of homophobia in this country, I'm sure there are a good number of college coaches who have this view. I imagine the lesbian players know enough to not go where they are not welcome.

PUmatty

PostPosted: 03/30/05 2:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It is VERY common for this type of recruiting to go on in WCBB and all women's sports. I don't know specifics about different teams and coaches more than just antecdotally, but there has been at least one major research article published that talked about the prevalence of negative recruiting based on sexual orientation.

It might surpsise people to learn that the majority of women athletes who were subjects in this study were as homophobic as these coaches.

womens_hoops

PostPosted: 03/30/05 3:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

yeah, I agree that it's all too common. There are quiet, rumored accusations all the time against various coaches.

The problem is largely the fault of homophobic parents who don't want their daughters to be "recruited." Coaches pick it up from there -- too many play to those prejudices by promising a straight or "family" atmosphere. And not enough stand up to parents and say: we allow anyone, straight or gay.

It would help if some more coaches, parents, and players would be willing to stand up and make public accusations when this stuff happens. It's hard to fight so long as it remains underground.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: