RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Coaching carousel: La. Tech coach to Oklahoma State:

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
stever

PostPosted: 03/27/05 10:58 am    ::: Coaching carousel: La. Tech coach to Oklahoma State: Reply Reply with quote

http://www.thenewsstar.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20050327/SPORTS/503270334/1006

According to a story published in today's Daily Oklahoman citing sources close to the program, Budke will leave Tech to replace Julie Goodenough, who was forced to resign after three seasons.

PUmatty

PostPosted: 03/27/05 6:53 pm    ::: Re: Coaching carousel: La. Tech coach to Oklahoma State: Reply Reply with quote

IMO for a coach to consider OKST a step up from Ruston effectively ends LaTech's period as a power in WCBB. Been nice knowing you Techsters.

pilight

PostPosted: 03/27/05 7:03 pm    ::: Re: Coaching carousel: La. Tech coach to Oklahoma State: Reply Reply with quote

PUmatty wrote:
IMO for a coach to consider OKST a step up from Ruston effectively ends LaTech's period as a power in WCBB. Been nice knowing you Techsters.

Given how far Tech has fallen, I wouldn't be surprised to find that LT asked him to leave.

PostPosted: 03/27/05 8:58 pm    ::: Pilight may be right Reply Reply with quote

For the AD to say they are ready to act, pretty much is like saying... "Budke, don't let the door hit you on the ass on the way out"

Besides there is more to life than coaching prestige and $$. I mean UCSBs coach French could probably be better served somewhere other than the Big West, but I'd be shocked to see him leave (except to retire).

rebkell
Site Admin

PostPosted: 03/27/05 9:03 pm    ::: Re: Pilight may be right Reply Reply with quote

Gaucho Don wrote:
For the AD to say they are ready to act, pretty much is like saying... "Budke, don't let the door hit you on the ass on the way out"

Considering that KMR turned down the job and went to Baylor, it may not be so great of a job, money wise.

They don't have enough exposure, and the conference is very weak.

Gaucho Don

PostPosted: 03/27/05 9:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Yeah, the conference is weak (and getting weaker with the addition of Idaho and Utah State, who were both up and coming in the Big West, but will drag the WAC down toward the Big West Sad ).

And there is probably much pressure to succeed (I was gonna say, can the money be that bad, but I looked up the average coaching salary on the equity in athletics disclosure site). Ouch. 4.5 head coaches for women's teams $56,620 average salary per FTE. Even if the other coaches are dragging his salary down to reach that average it doesn't leave much room for his salary to be that big. UCSB may actually be a step up in salary from that! UCSB has an average/FTE of $57,094 with 8 head coaches of women's teams. Leaves a bit more room for French to be paid more than Budke Smile Reported expenses of the two programs are similar. Oklahoma State average for 7 Head coaches $107,022 (so it'd be very easy to squeeze a larger salary in)

Not looking good for the La Tech's and UCSBs of the world Sad (Oklahoma State also reported over 60% more expenses related to women's basketball than La Tech or UCSB

el_barrio_96_125

PostPosted: 03/28/05 3:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Kim supposedly left because Tech couldn't offer her the security that Baylor could in a 5th year. Losing Budke isn't much of a loss. He probably had 1 or 2 years left anyway. IMO, they should give Janice Braxton a call. However, it seems there is a real possibility Barmore AND Spoon could be heading back to Ruston if Oakes and the lifers get their way, with Chris Long as the backup plan. Interestingly enough, Tech wanted Spoon back as a recruitor around 2002 or 2003, but neither she nor Budke were jumping at the thought of working with each other.

Long is supposedly already looking to add Spoon to the staff if he gets the job but there's the question of Spoon leaving NY. However, if Leon were to come back and she could learn under him for a couple of years and smooth some of the edges, I don't think she'd mind Ruston. It's too bad Spoon may end up back where it all started with Leon keeping her seat warm, while Blaze and Patty still have no assistant other than Harry. Once again, Spoon follows in Sue's footsteps and says, F Blaze.
caune

PostPosted: 03/28/05 4:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

f_blaze_coalition wrote:
Kim supposedly left because Tech couldn't offer her the security that Baylor could in a 5th year. Losing Budke isn't much of a loss. He probably had 1 or 2 years left anyway. IMO, they should give Janice Braxton a call. However, it seems there is a real possibility Barmore AND Spoon could be heading back to Ruston if Oakes and the lifers get their way, with Chris Long as the backup plan. Interestingly enough, Tech wanted Spoon back as a recruitor around 2002 or 2003, but neither she nor Budke were jumping at the thought of working with each other.

Long is supposedly already looking to add Spoon to the staff if he gets the job but there's the question of Spoon leaving NY. However, if Leon were to come back and she could learn under him for a couple of years and smooth some of the edges, I don't think she'd mind Ruston. It's too bad Spoon may end up back where it all started with Leon keeping her seat warm, while Blaze and Patty still have no assistant other than Harry. Once again, Spoon follows in Sue's footsteps and says, F Blaze.

The problem with this job it that Rushton is in the middle of nowhere and the commute to games in the small turbo prop planes is not on anyones favorite things to do list;)

el_barrio_96_125

PostPosted: 03/28/05 4:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Exactly. I think it would take a lot to get Spoon to go back and then even more for her to convince her big city living family to come with her. If anyone could do it though, it would be Papa Leon. Budke was a goner anyway. They really need to call Janice. Those planes need to be banned. They have a habit of falling out of the sky.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: