RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Janel McCarville & Steffanie Blackmon
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
BBallFanCT729

PostPosted: 03/26/05 11:47 pm    ::: Janel McCarville & Steffanie Blackmon Reply Reply with quote

For those of you who watched the Minnesota-Baylor game, what are your impressions of Janel and Steffanie? I'll give my Janel thoughts:

Postives:

Very aggressive on the glass.
Hit timely shots to help Minnesota stay close/take the lead.
Did have key steals/defensive plays.
Showed variety in shots.

Negatives:

Very bad decision making sometimes.
Happy feet.
Attitude-A tad too cocky for me tonight.
Showed fatigue.

I could go really in-depth, but I wanted to see what everyone thought about her now after this game. If you wish, please add in your thoughts on Steffanie. I though she was solid, but not spectacular, as the night belonged to Sophia Young. Can we get Sophia to leave early Smile ?

Sass

PostPosted: 03/27/05 12:39 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I concur completely on McCarville. I wouldn't draft her.

I also agree on Young. Is she only a sophomore? Her game is ridiculous.

herrade

PostPosted: 03/27/05 8:12 am    ::: Re: Janel McCarville & Steffanie Blackmon Reply Reply with quote

i was disappointed in mccarville's play last night, but then again, if your teammates make the shots when you pass them the ball (instead of turning it over) you look 10 times better. but she *was* playing desperate, that much is clear.

if we don't trade for a banger in ny, i would take her. bcbg and keira can rail me on that one all they want Wink

PostPosted: 03/27/05 8:48 am    ::: Re: Janel McCarville & Steffanie Blackmon Reply Reply with quote

i wasn't particularly disappointed in McCarville's play last night.

She dominated the glass, as usual. She made some nice passes, blocked 4 shots, stole or deflected several balls.

In the first half, she wasn't guarding Young tight enough, probably because she didn't want to pick up her second. Really, the Gophs should have put someone longer (Williams) on Young.

The only thing she really did bad was take 6 or 7 really bad shots. But when the rest of your team isn't scoring, and the other scorer on your team (Broback) is having one of her worst games of the season, what else are you gonna do?

It's the same problem -- she fades away too much and settles for low percentage shots rather than pounding it to the hole. That might be fatigue/conditioning.

dtsnms

PostPosted: 03/27/05 9:33 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I think you put McCarville on a better team, with some outside shooting (like a Phoenix) she'll be a real asset. Her passing skills will more than offset her flaws IMO, if she is in the right place. That is a HUGE caveat!

caune

PostPosted: 03/27/05 11:19 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

dtsnms wrote:
I think you put McCarville on a better team, with some outside shooting (like a Phoenix) she'll be a real asset. Her passing skills will more than offset her flaws IMO, if she is in the right place. That is a HUGE caveat!

McCarville is a women (or beast as someone so put it last night) playing among girls! her team lets her down big time by not being able to catch creative passes, hit open outside shots to free up the paint or properly box out so she can get a put back without getting hacked.

But Sophia Young, that girl has game! The second coming of Tina Thompson!

herrade

PostPosted: 03/27/05 12:15 pm    ::: Re: Janel McCarville & Steffanie Blackmon Reply Reply with quote

womens_hoops wrote:

The only thing she really did bad was take 6 or 7 really bad shots. But when the rest of your team isn't scoring, and the other scorer on your team (Broback) is having one of her worst games of the season, what else are you gonna do?

six or seven really bad shots is too many in a game as close as that. she did not step her game up, but rather unravelled a bit under pressure. like i said, i don't think you can blame that all on her. it would be fun to watch mccarville play on a team where she doesn't have to double as the point guard.

if she goes to phoenix, it will give me yet another reason to go out there this summer. but will she really get that much PT? it's not like it will happen, but i do think she'd do well in a libs uni -- and she would probably have better luck in the east.

PostPosted: 03/27/05 3:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

yes, 6 or 7 bad shots is definitely too many. Scoring is the weakest part of her game. The best skills she'll bring to the next level are rebounding and passing. She will probably stuggle to put a lot of points on the board, unless she keeps extending her range.

With her lack of scoring, it may be hard for some teams to keep her on the floor. (So by all means, if you're in the top 10, don't draft her! I'm serious! She really shouldn't go higher than, oh... I don't know... 11.)

as far as her attitude...

i don't know. She took an elbow to the chin from Wabara, they had some words, Wabara lost her top and started screaming at her. Not sure what she was saying (maybe calling Janel a "fat ugly dyke" like Baylor fans were all week?). Janel just walked away and laughed it off, and after the game, went and gave Wabara a big hug, said no hard feelings, good luck.

Reporters asked her what Wabara was saying, Janel (lying) said "I don't know, I couldn't hear." The MN press wanted to make a big deal of it, but Janel just diffused the story.

Rather than crying or losing her cool at the refs (like Whalen did in the UConn game last year), Janel was upbeat. Everyone in the lockerroom was down and Janel apparently was going around saying "don't worry about it, they're a great team, we didn't play great tonight, but we had a great season."

To me, that's about the best attitude in losing I can imagine.

As far as cockiness... well, I have different preferences than others on that. Taurasi was the cockiest ever, and I LOVED it. That was part of what made her so great. My favorite Taurasi moment was "this is my house, m-fs!!!" I understand that that sort of thing turns a lot of people off. I think it makes the game even more fun.

herrade

PostPosted: 03/27/05 5:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

womens_hoops wrote:

With her lack of scoring, it may be hard for some teams to keep her on the floor.

don't you think that will be more of an issue in the west than the east? she'd be more of a presence in the paint than the libs have right now, and we could use the rebounding, particularly if patty/potter fuck up with d-train. oh wait... i forgot about stacy stephens. forget about it. we're saved. gah.

womens_hoops wrote:

as far as her attitude...

whatever. attitude is monique currie, who with her pigtails and snotty expression yesterday looked for all the world like a four year old whining about having to share her toys with the other kids in the sand box. that really turned me off.

PostPosted: 03/27/05 5:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

dtsnms wrote:

I have this feeling Phoenix won't draft her. Unless they want the slowest and most unathletic starting 5 in the league. I want somebody a bit quicker at the 4.
caune

PostPosted: 03/27/05 5:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Keegan wrote:
dtsnms wrote:

I have this feeling Phoenix won't draft her. Unless they want the slowest and most unathletic team in the league. I want somebody a bit quicker at the 4.

Phoenix won't draft her because she won't be there;)

And I do find it ironic for a UCONN fan to question a players attitude Rolling Eyes
Don't ya know that is the excuse people use to hate UCONN and it's players Razz

KeiraNY

PostPosted: 03/27/05 7:01 pm    ::: Re: Janel McCarville & Steffanie Blackmon Reply Reply with quote

No railing from me Herrade! I agree with you. She's definitely a banger but I saw her as too cocky too and even perhaps a thug in training. The way she laughed at that girl after she set the pick wasn't very sportsmanlinke in my opinion.

It's a good thing LA has no chance on taking her...I can't imagine LL, Christi Thomas, Shitmore & Janel on the same team...ugh!

herrade wrote:
i was disappointed in mccarville's play last night, but then again, if your teammates make the shots when you pass them the ball (instead of turning it over) you look 10 times better. but she *was* playing desperate, that much is clear.

if we don't trade for a banger in ny, i would take her. bcbg and keira can rail me on that one all they want Wink

womens_hoops

PostPosted: 03/27/05 7:12 pm    ::: Re: Janel McCarville & Steffanie Blackmon Reply Reply with quote

KeiraNY wrote:
The way she laughed at that girl after she set the pick wasn't very sportsmanlinke in my opinion.

she didn't laugh after setting the pick. After setting the pick (in the Virginia game, I assume you mean) she just stared her down for a second. She laughed after the Wabara fracas.

(I love the word "fracas.")

BCBG25

PostPosted: 03/27/05 7:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Don't worry herrade, we have no shot at her anyway. I still haven't made up my mind about her, having seen enough is more appropriate, but after today's games I made up my mind about Cappie. She's a stud.

PostPosted: 03/27/05 7:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

BCBG25 wrote:
I made up my mind about Cappie. She's a stud.

And staying at Rutgers for another year....

BBallFanCT729

PostPosted: 03/27/05 7:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I think Janel is talented, I think she'll help out any team she goes to, but I just didn't like her attitude in a couple of the games this year. Maybe it's just me, but I find DT's cockiness and Janel's to be slightly different, and not just because one played for UConn and one didn't. Janel just bugged me last night with her attitude. I'm sure she is a great person off the court, but her on the court persona last night was unappealing to me. Maybe she was just having a bad night. I wish the best for Janel, but I don't want her in a Mercury or Sun uniform.

womens_hoops

PostPosted: 03/27/05 8:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

the Strib got a great shot of Janel's dirty chin shot to Wabara's elbow.

http://www.startribune.com/images/5/127642.html

That was the front page of the sports page today, large headline: "One to the Chin!"

herrade

PostPosted: 03/27/05 8:46 pm    ::: Re: Janel McCarville & Steffanie Blackmon Reply Reply with quote

KeiraNY wrote:
The way she laughed at that girl after she set the pick wasn't very sportsmanlinke in my opinion.

I didn't see that one. I suspect Janel gets a lot of shit on and off the court, and probably always has. I don't see her as a thug, because I'm not picking up on malice. It just seems like she has established a buffer for herself. How should she react when Baylor fans are calling her a "big ugly dyke"? You think she hasn't heard that one before? Banking on her own self-confidence seems like a better bet than the Mendiola approach.

Lindsay Whalen on McCarville:
Quote:
Anyone that knows her knows that she is her own person and she embraces that.

Exactly.

PostPosted: 03/27/05 8:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

rebkell wrote:
BCBG25 wrote:
I made up my mind about Cappie. She's a stud.

And staying at Rutgers for another year....

Looks to me like the Libs will be in a good position to steal her up next year Wink

PostPosted: 03/27/05 9:11 pm    ::: Re: Janel McCarville & Steffanie Blackmon Reply Reply with quote

Well, to clarify, I wasn't referring to anything the Baylor fans said or didn't say to her. I didn't hear anything nor I was there.

Nor was I referring to the VA game, I didn't see that one. I believe it was the game against Baylor...although I do think her picks are out of this world. It's like bumping into a wall....

Like Mel said, she ain't coming to NY, so no point in imagining so. I do think she is talented, great passer, good defender and all that jazz.

herrade wrote:
KeiraNY wrote:

I didn't see that one. I suspect Janel gets a lot of shit on and off the court, and probably always has. I don't see her as a thug, because I'm not picking up on malice. It just seems like she has established a buffer for herself. How should she react when Baylor fans are calling her a "big ugly dyke"? You think she hasn't heard that one before? Banking on her own self-confidence seems like a better bet than the Mendiola approach.

Lindsay Whalen on McCarville:
Quote:
Anyone that knows her knows that she is her own person and she embraces that.

Exactly.

Str8_Butta

PostPosted: 03/27/05 9:45 pm    ::: Re: Janel McCarville & Steffanie Blackmon Reply Reply with quote

KeiraNY wrote:
No railing from me Herrade! I agree with you. She's definitely a banger but I saw her as too cocky too and even perhaps a thug in training. The way she laughed at that girl after she set the pick wasn't very sportsmanlinke in my opinion.

It's a good thing LA has no chance on taking her...I can't imagine LL, Christi Thomas, Shitmore & Janel on the same team...ugh!

Grrrrrrr, LOL

Last edited by Str8_Butta on 03/28/05 2:16 am; edited 1 time in total
Sass

PostPosted: 03/28/05 1:13 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

A "big fat ugly dyke" ? Parts of Texas are pathetic.

womens_hoops

PostPosted: 03/28/05 8:07 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

yeah, and the Baylor women's basketball message board is truly the worst one I've seen.

ESPN is unmoderated, so you see a lot of that sort of crap on it. But at least most of the time it's just from trolls. And when people say offensive stuff, someone responds.

On the Baylor board, it's all the regulars who sit around and talk this kind of stuff. It's moderated, but apparently saying that kind of shit is ok there. And no one ever steps in and says "hey, maybe we should talk about basketball instead of which player on __ is the ugliest or who looks most like a man or who i'd most like to fuck."

gopherfan

PostPosted: 03/28/05 9:34 am    ::: Baylor fans were very disrespectful Reply Reply with quote

I have to agree with you herrade they were very hatefull this weekend and saying some pretty mean things about shaq. But do you know what the Beauty about that is Janel dosent care what people think of her.

Want your bad romance

http://www.elyricsworld.com/bad_romance_lyrics_lady_gaga.html
KeiraNY

PostPosted: 03/28/05 9:35 am    ::: Re: Janel McCarville & Steffanie Blackmon Reply Reply with quote

Sorry man!! That one just slipped!!! For all my Whitmore dislikes, this is probably one time I did (among a handful).

Str8_Butta33 wrote:
KeiraNY wrote:

Grrrrrrr, LOL

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: