RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Am I the only one...

View previous topic :: View next topic  
readyAIMfire53

PostPosted: 03/23/05 10:45 pm    ::: Am I the only one... Reply Reply with quote

...who thinks the Mystics did fine in this trade? As everyone knows, Mique's actual value to any team at this point is a bit of a crap shoot. But Delisha Milton is an Olympic player, coming back to playing shape following her knee fiasco. With her and AB, the Styx will have the defense locked down both in and out of the paint. And while Delisha adjusted her offense nicely to complement the LL scoring machine in LA, her inside/outside scoring abilities will give the Mystics a versatility unheard of previously.

This team will be one PG/SG short of a championship calibre team. Basically, right now, they've lost nothing from the team that went to the playoffs and they've gained a SOLID post player. Personally, I like Dionnah Jackson a LOT and think she'd be a great fit with Alana and Delisha. Or, pick up a sing (Wecker?) and hope Temeka Johnson is available at the 13. i think she will be.

And regarding the Tamecka Dixon/13th pick: I'd rather have the pick to be honest. Dixon is very talented, but just doesn't do "it" for me. I don't think she'd be the answer for this franchise. And perhaps DJM is the one who suggested they take the 13th pick over Dixon? I'm thinking if Delisha wanted to keep playing with Dixon, Tamecka would be a Mystic right about now. I don't think the Mystics will get an All*Star with the 13th pick, but I'd rather gamble on finding a player that will play their way onto the roster.

Just my thoughts on the subject, which seems to be a minority opinion on these boards...

~rAf

~rAf
Slovydal

PostPosted: 03/23/05 10:55 pm    ::: Re: Am I the only one... Reply Reply with quote

I'm with you RAF.

The Mystics did the right thing.

DeLisha will be AMAZING with Alana.

Keegan

PostPosted: 03/23/05 10:58 pm    ::: Re: Am I the only one... Reply Reply with quote

readyAIMfire53 wrote:
And regarding the Tamecka Dixon/13th pick: I'd rather have the pick to be honest.

They probably could have had both.
kinkitola

PostPosted: 03/24/05 2:12 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The big question mark is how well Delisha is going to come back from her ACL tears. If she comes back even close to 100%, then she's going to be a huge addition to DC.

PostPosted: 03/24/05 3:15 am    ::: I think they got hosed... Reply Reply with quote

I agree with Keegan that they could have gotten all three from the Sparks. Dixon doesn't do it for me either but she sure did it for the Sparks. She brought it when it counted. As far as Milton providing an inside/outside scoring threat that the Mystics have never had before... I don't know. I don't see that she's going to bring anything at all offensively to the table that Mique wasn't already providing and then some.

Defensively? Hell yeah. Leadership on a PROFESSIONAL level and the bracing team defense benefits of having a player with that kind of defensive intensity in the post... oh yeah. Milton provides all the intangibles to a team that don's show up, as they say, in the stat page. But on this team, if her leg is better, she's going to put up some numbers.

And the Sparks are still a Mique sprained ankle or a Leslie broken fingernail away from missing the finals completely again this year. It's going to be hard for them to get back to a title. The odds are really against them being able to do that just because they've gotten Holdsclaw.

I was saying last year when Milton had her tits in a wringer over Claw and was talking shit about her (remember that?) that Milton was absolutely right. Don't remember at this point what she was right about but Milton was a competetor at the highest levels of the WNBA, and by that I mean the playoffs and championship winning levels, and had proven that she was a key part of the post defense that got that team through many other playoffs againsts Yo and LJ and Tina and everyone else. Mique has done none of that in her pro career.

I wish nothing but the best for Mique personally but dang it, I can't wish good things for her as a Spark now can I? Not yet, anyway. lol! I'm still one big trade away from being at that point. Then I'm on board all the way to the end. Twisted Evil

But I think the Mystics got hosed. I would have taken Swoopes and a five. Deforge, PP, and the freaking #3 pick (someone you'd have to think would be a WNBA all-star level player very soon). But in a trade with the Sparks, I would have wanted as many of those key five players as I could have gotten. Milton and Dixon would have been a good start. AB could learn a lot from playing with those two.

That's one thing that's for certain. The Mystics players will certainly benefit from the coaching/competetor/work ethic package that Milton will bring to their team. She's a motivated PRO. She's deserved a lot more respect than she's gotten and if her knee is better she's going to get the respect she's been missing, I'd be willing to bet.

bluewolfvii

PostPosted: 03/24/05 10:26 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

RAF, I agree.

The Mystics did the best deal that worked not just for them but for CH. The deal had to work for CH, because in other deal the Mystics might have liked, a no report puts CH back in DC.

No way does DC profit from a 'Back On Market' bomb. If they trade her to a team she doesn't want to go to, or if they force her to play in DC and it doesn't work out, they have nothing.

Now they have another impact player to go along with AB, and its someone who will make Chasity Melvin and Nakia Sanford the best players they can be. That's huge improvement over a situation that three days ago was a cloud of unsettled business with CH.

Now, if Washington finds a 5th starter either drafting one or trading for one using a package of that no.6 pick and a veteran ...

dtsnms

PostPosted: 03/24/05 10:43 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Yep, you're right. I think it made Washington a legit contender in the East. I saw those playoff games where they took the Sun to the limit with SDS out there instead of DMJ.

Add a good draft choice (or two) and they'll be right there in the end. And as the Sun showed, once you get on a roll (almost) anything can happen.

Slovydal

PostPosted: 03/24/05 10:48 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I have more concern about Chamique's ankle than DeLisha's knee.

Except for that one injury, DeLisha isn't known to miss games.

Chamique has had ongoing injury problems.

The Sparks are taking a gamble that might pay off big. If everything works out in LA, a lot of Sparks haters will learn to like that team - lol!

The Mystics have a sure thing - that I think will pay off big.

Imagine the defense with D and Alana together!

bluewolfvii

PostPosted: 03/24/05 10:54 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Imagine the defense with D and Alana together!

Bring somebody on with that no.6 pick like PSU's Tanisha Wright, and Washington's opponents are going to need albuterol because DC's D is going to be s-u-f-f-o-c-a-t-i-n-g.

Last edited by bluewolfvii on 03/24/05 11:03 am; edited 1 time in total
Slovydal

PostPosted: 03/24/05 10:59 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Yep!

I may have to eat these words in August, but I think the Mystics will lead the East.

swok34

PostPosted: 03/25/05 12:06 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Well, if Washington happens to get Dionnah Jackson....something that Dionnah showed her first three years was her DEFENSE. She was absolutely outstanding last year. This year, she had so much responsibility to the OU team offensively that I don't think her defense was as predominant. Nor did she have the kind of help that she had last year.

But, put her with a better team, and this kid can defend.

suemar

PostPosted: 03/25/05 9:36 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Just saw your post and started thinking about the Mique Mystics years. Not only missed games several years but also was no show for All-Stars and never played in Olympics. She is an Olypmian in name only!!

As far as Dixson, thanks god she didnt come to DC. Just hope they pick better than they usually do.

Have you noticed Page hasnt signed yet? Very interesting.

PostPosted: 03/25/05 10:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

swok: Dionnah Jackson is the player I want the Styx to snatch. She's a solid defender, good passer, has fine athleticism and is a team-first kind of player. I think she'd be a great complement to Alana, Delisha and Chas. OK, here's my dream for the Mystics: Wecker at #6, Dionnah Jackson at 13. With neither player in the Sweet 16, perhaps they'll each be available.

PS: I think Indiana is taking Feenstra, which IMHO is just as silly (for different reasons) as last year's Ebony (KFC) Hoffman. Feenstra is having a great run in the tourney, but is not WNBA star material. If she works HARD, she could make the roster and give the real post players the experience of practicing against a tall opponent every day.

~rAf

~rAf
PUmatty

PostPosted: 03/26/05 2:20 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I can't imagine we would take Feenstra with the No. 2. She will go higher than she should, but that high would be ridiculous. I am hoping for IRvin, but word is the Fever braintrust really like McCarville and Wecker. Wecker would make me pretty happy as well.

ChasingDogma

PostPosted: 03/26/05 9:42 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Assuming both players are healthy (big assumption on both ends), I just don't see how the addition of Milton-Jones and the number 6 and 13 picks and the subtraction of Holdsclaw and SDS is an improvement for Washington.

Mysticwiz

PostPosted: 03/26/05 11:05 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ChasingDogma wrote:
Assuming both players are healthy (big assumption on both ends), I just don't see how the addition of Milton-Jones and the number 6 and 13 picks and the subtraction of Holdsclaw and SDS is an improvement for Washington.

imo the Mystics are lagging behind in talent.plain and simple.in the last year we went from a team that needed a PG,C,and a backup wing(prior to DD and rookie draft of '04) to a team that imo needs a PG,SF,C(of starting quality)a shooter off the bench,a backup wing,

the loss of SDS the only real outside threat,must be replaced.
how Adams used coco was deplorable.Now this year he says she will be more involved,yeah right.
Chas is not a center, never have been never will be.she Can Not rebound.

when you start to peel away the the layers of the mystics, you can see that this is not a sound team, with meek or DMJ.

Luuuc
#NATC

PostPosted: 03/26/05 11:35 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

As an outsider my impression is pretty much the same as what Mysticwiz is conveying.
I don't understand how the Mystics did so well after Meek left last season, but whatever the secret is they will have to replicate it to continue to compete.

The obvious positive is that during that run there was no Holdsclaw. Compare that to the situation now, and they have effectively gained DeLisha for nothing. How much the loss of SDS affects the team remains to be seen. She wasn't a dominant player by any means, but as wiz said she was at least a legitimate outside threat who kept the opposing defence honest.

Chas isn't a centre, and Alana really isn't a point guard either.

Interesting times ahead indeed for the team.
Adams & Summit need to quickly decide on a direction for the team, and recruit accordingly. They are not going to get sufficient talent this season, but what they must do is make sure that what they do get is good enough to still be producing for them a few years down the track.
i.e. don't try to cover every hole in a half-assed manner (like Phoenix have been known to do in the past), because two years down the track they won't be any better off.

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: