RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Meek is GONE
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mysticwiz

PostPosted: 03/21/05 5:17 pm    ::: Meek is GONE Reply Reply with quote

The Sparks and Washington Mystics have agreed to a major trade involving two of the WNBA's best players, it was announced today.

Washington will send its star, Chamique Holdsclaw, to Los Angeles in exchange for Los Angeles forward DeLisha Milton-Jones and the Spark's first round pick (13th) in the league's 2005 draft.

The price is a steep one for the Sparks because if Holdsclaw, who missed part of last season and later acknowledged she was battling clinical depression, decides not to report to the Sparks, they will still lose Milton-Jones and their draft pick.

Milton-Jones missed nearly half of the Sparks season, including the playoffs because of a knee injury, but has been overseas this winter and is reportedly playing without difficulty.

Sparks general manager Penny Toler, attempting to contact Holdsclaw, who is playing overseas in Spain, was unavailable for comment today. Sparks' President Johnny Buss confirmed the trade.

"People [in Washington] were worried whether DeLisha is healthy, but her knee is fine," Buss said. "We wish her nothing but the best. She has a real spirit for WNBA and is a great player. We hated to give her up, but also we needed some new energy in Los Angeles. When we thought that Washington might be interested in a trade, Penny held on and kept talking to them.

"We are taking a risk, but that is what we're about. I don't know Chamique personally, but from what I know of her, I think she will be excited to come to L.A. We have a strong organization and a respectful approach for the players who play for the Lakers and Sparks."

Buss went on to say this would probably be the one major deal the Sparks complete this off-season. He said the team lacks the cap room to attract top-level unrestricted free agents "and we're not interested in any other trades."

After an outstanding college career, where she won three national championships at the University of Tennessee, Holdsclaw, 27, was the Mystics' and the WNBA's top first round selection in 1999. She was the WNBA rookie of the year in 1999.

In her six WNBA seasons, the 6-1,172-pound forward has averaged 18.3 points and nine rebounds. Holdsclaw is a three-time all-star, two-time all-WNBA selection, and won a gold medal with the 2000 USA Olympic women's basketball team.

Last year, Holdsclaw played in 23 games for Washington, averaging 19 points and 8.3 rebounds. She left the team for the final 11 regular season and two playoff games for undisclosed reasons. She later revealed that she had been suffering from depression.

Milton-Jones, a popular player in Los Angeles, has been considered one of the league's best defenders as well as a solid offensive complement to reigning league MVP Lisa Leslie.

In her six seasons with the Sparks, who took her in the first round of the 1999 draft out of Florida University, Milton-Jones, 30, averaged 11.2 points and six rebounds. She also won a gold medal in the 2000 Games, and was part of the USA teams that won gold medals at the Fiba 2000 and 2002 world championships. Like Holdsclaw, Milton-Jones is listed at 6-1, 172 pounds.

Her 2004 season was restricted to 19 games because of knee injuries sustained overseas in Russia and during the WNBA season in July. She averaged 9.8 points and 4.7 rebounds.

The Sparks are still looking for a head coach after Michael Cooper, who guided the team to WNBA championships in 2001 and 2002, left last season to take an assistant coach position with the Denver Nuggets. Interim co-coach Karleen Thompson has been hired by the Houston Comets, and Ryan Weisenberg, the other co-coach, is back on the L.A. Lakers staff.

Among those candidates reportedly interested in the Sparks job is former USC men's coach Henry Bibby, who was fired four games into the 2004-05 college season. Buss would neither confirm nor deny Bibby's interest.

"We'd like to have a coach in place by the [April 16] draft," Buss said. "But it's not that critical since we no longer have a first round pick."

http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-032105sparks_lat,0,7934363.story?coll=la-home-sports[/i]

Str8_Butta

PostPosted: 03/21/05 5:21 pm    ::: Re: Meek is GONE Reply Reply with quote

DAMN!

Last edited by Str8_Butta on 03/21/05 5:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
CamrnCrz1974

PostPosted: 03/21/05 5:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

What did I say? What did I say?

Can't wait to see VeProf's reaction!!!

BBallFanCT729

PostPosted: 03/21/05 5:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

CamrnCrz1974 wrote:

Cam's a ledge Very Happy .

Str8_Butta

PostPosted: 03/21/05 5:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

CamrnCrz1974 wrote:

Neither can I.

Keegan

PostPosted: 03/21/05 5:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

There might not be enough valium in the world for VeProf...
CamrnCrz1974

PostPosted: 03/21/05 5:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Thanks, BBallFan. Nice to see that the trade offers I posted actually came to fruition (Tangela Smith, Chamique Holdsclaw, plus the free agent signings and the offers that were extended and later matched).

Keegan

PostPosted: 03/21/05 5:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

666 posts for Cam

Laughing Laughing Laughing
BBallFanCT729

CamrnCrz1974 wrote:
Thanks, BBallFan. Nice to see that the trade offers I posted actually came to fruition (Tangela Smith, Chamique Holdsclaw, plus the free agent signings and the offers that were extended and later matched).

You're okay for a mouth piece I guess. Seriously, thank you for all the information you post.

The next couple of days should be interesting...

Admiral_Needa

Penny Toler, WNBA GM of the Year! Shocked

BBallFanCT729

PostPosted: 03/21/05 5:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Keegan wrote:
666 posts for Cam

Laughing Laughing Laughing

He really is the devil Twisted Evil

Mysticwiz

PostPosted: 03/21/05 5:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

now lets send DeLisha Milton-Jones to indy for the #2...

4ever_bball_fan

PostPosted: 03/21/05 5:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

DMJ could definitely be trade fodder for.

Keegan

PostPosted: 03/21/05 5:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Depending on the status of her knee, I'd trade the #3 and Plenette for D-Nasty.
BBallFanCT729

PostPosted: 03/21/05 5:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

4ever_bball_fan wrote:
DMJ could definitely be trade fodder for.

*cough*#3 for DMJ*cough*

BBallFanCT729

PostPosted: 03/21/05 5:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Keegan wrote:

That would work. Gives WAS a very nice draft pick (Irvin, Currie, McCarville, White, Wecker, etc.) and a solid post player.

Mysticwiz

PostPosted: 03/21/05 5:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Keegan wrote:

as long as Wecker falls to three deal...

BBallFanCT729

PostPosted: 03/21/05 6:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

As an aside:

With Mique leaving the Mystics Organization, will Summitt follow her out the door?

BCBG25

PostPosted: 03/21/05 6:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Damn, that post made me jump out of my skin!
And now I'm getting ready to jump off a cliff, but not before jumping down Blaze's throat for being so fucking complacent.
My two favorite players landed on the teams I dislike the most.
I cannot believe that... Sad
This is a sad, sad day...
I wonder if I'll actually get to hear ANY good news this year...

PostPosted: 03/21/05 6:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

BCBG25 wrote:
And now I'm getting ready to jump off a cliff, but not before jumping down Blaze's throat for being so fucking complacent.

Better get started on your Yellow Mique jersey BCBG Wink

Too bad too... The Claw will most likely stay in LA after 2005... How could she not? Pass up playing with Leslie? Question Not to mention a top PG in Teasley to get her the ball and have your roster rounded out with Mabika, Dixon, Thomas, Macci and Hodges? Shocked Talk about a pressure-free environment... Confused

Not to mention that the California sun should work well to uplift her spirits... Cool

Alepp03

PostPosted: 03/21/05 6:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Well, I don't have much to say. Whatever. I'm excited to see Delisha on a new team. Still not a Claw fan, so whatev, now she's on my least favorite team. *shrug*

PostPosted: 03/21/05 6:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Holdclaw gets traded to L.A. four days before I move.

Ha!

You gotta love the irony.

Go Sparques!

AND Mystics

I think this was good for both teams.

pilight

PostPosted: 03/21/05 6:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

This could be the worst trade in the history of the WNBA.

Milton-Jones is a good player that's been made to look great by playing next to Lisa Leslie. Playing with Nakia Sanford and/or Chas Melvin will expose the weaknesses in her game. And that's not even considering the possibility that her knee might not be sound. The #13 pick the same spot Tawana McDonald and Olga Firsova were drafted.

The Claw is a stud. Capable of leading the league in scoring and rebounding. The only question is whether she can play with other stars. You may recall people asking similar questions about Cynthia Cooper and Sheryl Swoopes for years in Houston.

Unless the Sparks do something stupid, like bringing Linda Sharp back to coach or letting Mabika get an attitude about not being the #2 scoring option, they're clearly the odds-on favorite to win it all.

Site Admin

PostPosted: 03/21/05 7:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

BCBG25 wrote:

Oh my gawd, I'm now a Sparks fan, the world is a cruel place. I'll get over it, remember when you asked about if I would pull for the Liberty, if the Claw ended up there, well, that was a no brainer compared to this turn of events .. hehe, I am not really concerned about all this talk about can Mique play with another star and not being the main focus, just the opposite, I think she will relish not necessarily being the focus of everything. It probably had a lot to do with her depression to start with, trying to do everything, I'm pretty confident there won't be any chemistry issues ego wise.

jammerbirdi

PostPosted: 03/21/05 7:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

rebkell wrote:
BCBG25 wrote:

Oh my gawd, I'm now a Sparks fan, the world is a cruel place. I'll get over it, remember when you asked about if I would pull for the Liberty, if the Claw ended up there, well, that was a no brainer compared to this turn of events .. hehe, I am not really concerned about all this talk about can Mique play with another star and not being the main focus, just the opposite, I think she will relish not necessarily being the focus of everything. It probably had a lot to do with her depression to start with, trying to do everything, I'm pretty confident there won't be any chemistry issues ego wise.

I hope (well... not really) that this puts to rest the notion that the Sparks trade soon to be announced would be Mabika and Dixon for Sheryl Freaking Swoopes. If that happened, me and Reb would both have to find out how we look in yeller and purple.

YUCH!!! (but I'd take it) Embarassed

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: