RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Hey Keira (and others) - Liberty stuff
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
CamrnCrz1974

PostPosted: 03/21/05 5:03 pm    ::: Hey Keira (and others) - Liberty stuff Reply Reply with quote

Keira:

Thanks for your note in the other thread. Yes, I was high on Christon pre-draft (and for a few years). And yes, Blaze did well in taking her. I don't think she will be a superstar (the way BCBG thinks she will be), but I do think she has All-Star potential.

As for the Liberty, the biggest needs are at point guard and in the post (pretty much the same for the past few years).

If I were GM of the Liberty, I would:

1) Talk to Ukari Figgs and convince her to come out of retirement. Figgs is exactly what the Liberty need. Pay her whatever she wants...literally, whatever she wants. I give her whatever she wants (her own car, instead of sharing with others, as WNBA players do). If she wants a coaching change, Patty is fired. If she wants Marianne gone, she can have that too. I do whatever it takes...LITERALLY...whatever it takes...to get Figgs to play PG in New York.

2) Start Crystal at the 2. C-Rob may be in her 30s, but she is still a very good defender. And she rarely lets a missed shot lower her confidence.

3) Start Christon at the 3. You know have an athletic backcourt.

4) I trade VJ and Becky Hammon to Washington for Holdsclaw. Alternatively, I trade VJ and the draft pick to Washington for Holdsclaw. Heck, I would trade VJ, Becky, AND the 10th pick for Holdsclaw and the 6th pick. I then start Figgs, C-Rob, Christon, and the Claw, with the 5 position to likely be Baranova. However, if Washington wants more, I would trade VJ, Becky, Baranova, and the 10th pick for Holdsclaw and the 6th pick.

5) With the 6th pick, I pick up someone like Kendra Wecker (shooter off the bench), Tan White (scorer off the bench), or Dionnah Jackson (backup point guard who can be groomed). This way, I have perimeter player off the bench who can score (needed with VJ and Hammon gone), plus La'Kesiha Frett at one of the forward spots, plus Wauters and D-Train in the post. A pretty solid bench, IMHO. If Baranova is included in the trade, I start Wauters up front.

I am writing this quickly, so I am not sure if it all makes sense and is consistent. Let me know what you think.

Admiral_Needa

PostPosted: 03/21/05 5:21 pm    ::: Re: Hey Keira (and others) - Liberty stuff Reply Reply with quote

CamrnCrz1974 wrote:
Thanks for your note in the other thread. Yes, I was high on Christon pre-draft (and for a few years). And yes, Blaze did well in taking her. I don't think she will be a superstar (the way BCBG thinks she will be), but I do think she has All-Star potential.

Uh-oh, them's fightin' words Wink

Quote:
1) Talk to Ukari Figgs and convince her to come out of retirement. Figgs is exactly what the Liberty need. Pay her whatever she wants...literally, whatever she wants.

Good luck... Exclamation Ukari's probably making around $80k at Toyota with long-term job security and opportunity. Doubtful she'd give that up to play for 1-2 years all the while having to worry about being cut. Confused

Quote:
4) I trade VJ and Becky Hammon to Washington for Holdsclaw. Alternatively, I trade VJ and the draft pick to Washington for Holdsclaw. Heck, I would trade VJ, Becky, AND the 10th pick for Holdsclaw and the 6th pick.

2 SGs and a pick for The Claw? I'm still think Washington can squeeze out a better package from LA. Idea Personally, I think NY should just wait a year and get Boldsclaw in Free Agency in 2006. That way you can get her for just money. Neutral

Quote:
5) With the 6th pick, I pick up someone like Kendra Wecker (shooter off the bench), Tan White (scorer off the bench), or Dionnah Jackson (backup point guard who can be groomed).

Wecker? Shocked

BCBG25

PostPosted: 03/21/05 6:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

She will be a superstar under the right circumstances, yes. That's all I have to say. I appreciate you taking the time to write this down, Cam. You probably spent more time thinking up the Liberty situation than FFO has all this offseason.

PostPosted: 03/21/05 6:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Quote:
2 SGs and a pick for The Claw? I'm still think Washington can squeeze out a better package from LA

Doesn't look like they did!!! Washington could have had Dixon in the deal, but settled for the 13th pick. Linda strikes again.

Keegan

PostPosted: 03/21/05 6:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I wonder if the Yolanda Griffith thing is still on the table.
CamrnCrz1974

PostPosted: 03/21/05 6:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

BCBG25 wrote:
I appreciate you taking the time to write this down, Cam. You probably spent more time thinking up the Liberty situation than FFO has all this offseason.

I think it would be good. Even without Holdsclaw, Blaze should offer Figgs $89,000 guaranteed for however long Figgs wants it. And offer her everything else. If Figgs wants Blaze to run around with a t-shirt that says "I drafted Olga and Molly, and all I got was this lousy t-shirt," then Blaze should do it!!!

Admiral_Needa

PostPosted: 03/21/05 6:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

CamrnCrz1974 wrote:
Quote:
2 SGs and a pick for The Claw? I'm still think Washington can squeeze out a better package from LA

Doesn't look like they did!!! Washington could have had Dixon in the deal, but settled for the 13th pick. Linda strikes again.

Yep, I know. Washington got hosed... Shocked the 13th pick this year will likely be a backup player. I would have demanded Dixon to be added to the package.

Claw is likely to stay in LA, so there's no flight risk in 2006 as there would be if she went to SAC, SASS or MIN. She's only 27 compared to Delisha, who will be 31 this year, and WAS gets a good SG who can also play the point sometimes. LA has been prepping Macci to start over Dixon anyways, so Dixon was realistically movable. Idea

Maybe it's not a case of Linda blowing the big one and more of Penny Toler making another great hose/trade/non-trade/draft... Idea As I said before, GM of the Year! Exclamation

BCBG25

PostPosted: 03/21/05 6:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Cam, that Figgs thing is so far-fetched, I don't even know why you brought that up lol

PostPosted: 03/21/05 7:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

BCBG25 wrote:
Cam, that Figgs thing is so far-fetched, I don't even know why you brought that up lol

Sunstroke I guess...

Ukari Figgs given the Max? Shocked We're talking about Figgs, right? Figgs?

Shocked

CamrnCrz1974

PostPosted: 03/21/05 7:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It is no more far-fetched than Maria. And I firmly believe Ukari would be in the league if she had not played for Van.

As for Admiral, I agree it is a tremendous overpay for Figgs. But the Liberty franchise is desperate for a point guard. Why not lock up one that is very good...and one who could solve the team's problems?

CamrnCrz1974

PostPosted: 03/21/05 7:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Quote:
Yep, I know. Washington got hosed...

I see we are in agreement. Washington could have had Dixon and Holdsclaw (surely Dixon is better than the 13th pick!).

And the more I think about it, Swoopes and five might have been a better deal than I initially thought. Five and six in the draft could give the team plenty of options (or allow them to trade up).

BBallFanCT729

PostPosted: 03/21/05 7:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'm still baffled at how WAS can accept this trade, yet didn't accept the offers made by Houston and Phoenix. It does seem like Washington got hosed, and they did it to themselves.

el_barrio_96_125

PostPosted: 03/21/05 8:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'd take Ukari in a Libs uniform and I wouldn't mind Becky and VJ out of one if it meant a real point guard, a real young talent to build around and a real post player who plays in the post instead of jacking up 3's and trying to be a point guard, but if Blaze won't stop sitting up in her room worried about another PR nightmare, we'll never get anywhere. I agree with Blaze's unwillingness to give up Becky to an eastern conference foe for a flight risk who may wittle under the hometown pressure (yeah right) because she knew she could get Mique next year as a free agent. However, why on earth would Mique leave Lisa Leslie in 2006 to come play with Becky? The one team we didn't need her to go because she probably won't leave as a UFA is where she ended up and Blaze is still staring at that plate of Yo like it's going to bite her. The FBC needs to hurry up and execute The Takeover before Blaze completely runs the team into the ground although if I were them, I'd rather stay where I am now.
Keegan

PostPosted: 03/21/05 8:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

BBallFanCT729 wrote:
I'm still baffled at how WAS can accept this trade, yet didn't accept the offers made by Houston and Phoenix. It does seem like Washington got hosed, and they did it to themselves.

Carolyn Young/Tari Phillips - enough said Smile
sambista

PostPosted: 03/21/05 8:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

tho i'm among the ones who think a team won't risk a first-round pick on temeka johnson, i'm getting REALLY frustrated that new york is showing no activity. (okay, so i'm impatient. prove me wrong and blow us all away with this amazing deal you've been nursing behind the scenes.) if blaze & company aren't gonna be clever, they may as well pick johnson. she looks better, smarter to me with every game, and the only bad thing i can say about her is she's too damned short. right now, i'd rather have a damned good, too damned short true point than . . . well, you know.

PostPosted: 03/22/05 9:15 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

You're right Bibb! I'm getting (no, I AM) angsty about the lack of movements the Libs have done in the off season. All the free agents were picked up, key players traded and the Libs are mum!

Am I the only one who sees a Charlotte/LA finals again???

sebibb wrote:
tho i'm among the ones who think a team won't risk a first-round pick on temeka johnson, i'm getting REALLY frustrated that new york is showing no activity. (okay, so i'm impatient. prove me wrong and blow us all away with this amazing deal you've been nursing behind the scenes.) if blaze & company aren't gonna be clever, they may as well pick johnson. she looks better, smarter to me with every game, and the only bad thing i can say about her is she's too damned short. right now, i'd rather have a damned good, too damned short true point than . . . well, you know.

sambista

PostPosted: 03/22/05 10:57 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

KeiraNY wrote:
You're right Bibb! I'm getting (no, I AM) angsty about the lack of movements the Libs have done in the off season. All the free agents were picked up, key players traded and the Libs are mum!

angsty? i love it, keira! yeah, and not only did all the free agents get picked up, the GOOD ones DIDN'T get picked up by ny.

as for the finals, i don't think l.a. is a shoo-in. geez, guys, have we learned NOTHING from the old sparks-comets showdowns? l.a.'s notorious achilles heel is letting their emotions get the best of them, when they want it so badly they spin outta control; and though this team does practice what cooper preached, togetherness off the court as well as on, and it was genuine, there's still no guarantee the chemistry will be there this go-round. i'm not counting out phoenix, seattle or sacto just yet. charlotte can call the shots in the east, but i'm sure laimbeer will have something to say about that. homeboy's not gonna be hanging around just for the fun of it.

speaking of phoenix, am i the only one who's afraid they'll get a backlash of sorts in fan support, having overdosed on aussies?

PostPosted: 03/22/05 12:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

When you look at past Mystics trades and picks you will see a pattern that explains why Mystics got hosed. Did it to themselves again. They are just stupid at the top. Remember Tasha Mills? Yuck from word 1. Also player a couple years ago. Never played at all! Then not giving Vicki Bullett the bucks, whatever she wanted to stay! Or giving fans a night to say "goodbye" at weekend game to her. Also getting rid of Stanley. Not to mention hiring Michael Adams!! Come to think of it SDS never lived up to the hype. No staminia. Mique didnt have support from Mystics over the years, no matter what front office says. How many coaches did she have?

Okay.. nuff soap box. Have good day all.

PostPosted: 03/22/05 12:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

sebibb says
Quote:
speaking of phoenix, am i the only one who's afraid they'll get a backlash of sorts in fan support, having overdosed on aussies?

I don't think so, 'bibb. Phoenix signed Snellie to a look see as a free agent but that's about it. Its Sacto and Seattle who have been signing the young Aussies.

Phoenix got Penny Taylor for free in dispersal and no one's questioned that pick.

Weren't there more Aussies on board in the Cheryl Miller-Michele Timms glory days?

CamrnCrz1974

PostPosted: 03/22/05 12:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Quote:
Weren't there more Aussies on board in the Cheryl Miller-Michele Timms glory days?

Michelle Brogan, Michelle Cleary, Kristen Veal (later on)...we have had many Aussies...

sambista

PostPosted: 03/22/05 12:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

hmmmm. maybe it just feels like an aussie invasion.

not that there's anything wrong with that . . .

then, too, you've got an aussie coach AND and an aussie assistant.

PostPosted: 03/22/05 12:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Aussie Mercury players (past and present):

- Michele Timms
- Michelle Brogan
- Michelle Cleary
- Trish Fallon
- Penny Taylor
- Kristen Veal
- Belinda Snell
- Jae Kingi Cross
- Kristi Harrower

Coaches: Carrie Graf, Michele Timms.

dtsnms

PostPosted: 03/22/05 12:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

CamrnCrz1974 wrote:
Aussie Mercury players (past and present):

- Michele Timms
- Michelle Brogan
- Michelle Cleary
- Trish Fallon
- Penny Taylor
- Kristen Veal
- Belinda Snell
- Jae Kingi Cross

Coaches: Carrie Graf, Michele Timms.

4 players and 2 coaches? That's a pretty high percentage I'd say!

KeiraNY

PostPosted: 03/22/05 1:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Don't get me wrong!! I'm not saying that the other teams will lay dead while LA/Charlotte whomps us all...I'm sure SFO will have something to say about anything that happens in the east.

Yes, LA can be taken out of the game by a dirty push here & there, but I doubt they'll take it. They have made some excellent personnel moves (especially Charlotte) so we'll see...I think those are the teams to beat. Just my humble opinion!!!

sebibb wrote:
KeiraNY wrote:

angsty? i love it, keira! yeah, and not only did all the free agents get picked up, the GOOD ones DIDN'T get picked up by ny.

as for the finals, i don't think l.a. is a shoo-in. geez, guys, have we learned NOTHING from the old sparks-comets showdowns? l.a.'s notorious achilles heel is letting their emotions get the best of them, when they want it so badly they spin outta control; and though this team does practice what cooper preached, togetherness off the court as well as on, and it was genuine, there's still no guarantee the chemistry will be there this go-round. i'm not counting out phoenix, seattle or sacto just yet. charlotte can call the shots in the east, but i'm sure laimbeer will have something to say about that. homeboy's not gonna be hanging around just for the fun of it.

dtsnms

PostPosted: 03/22/05 1:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

KeiraNY wrote:
Don't get me wrong!! I'm not saying that the other teams will lay dead while LA/Charlotte whomps us all...I'm sure SFO will have something to say about anything that happens in the east.

Yes, LA can be taken out of the game by a dirty push here & there, but I doubt they'll take it. They have made some excellent personnel moves (especially Charlotte) so we'll see...I think those are the teams to beat. Just my humble opinion!!!

Keira I think Charlotte with Feaster at the 2 and Sam at the 3 are very weak defensively. They don't scare me that much.

I think Washington needs to be treated more seriously. I saw that playoff team sans Mique last year, and they took the Sun to the wall. Now they've lost SDS and added DMJ, plus the #6 and the #13, who both can be useful role players. They've also now unquestionably made the team Alana's. I think they will be right there too.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: