RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Red Flash - Gophers

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KatValeska

PostPosted: 03/15/05 4:36 pm    ::: Red Flash - Gophers Reply Reply with quote

I'm so happy the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette is FINALLY adopting the "little school that could."

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/05073/471118.stm

cthskzfn

Location: In a world where a PSYCHOpath like Trump isn't potus.

PostPosted: 03/15/05 5:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

jmac will eat swink alive. gophers by 20. Laughing

gopher5

PostPosted: 03/15/05 5:14 pm    ::: Re: Red Flash - Gophers Reply Reply with quote

Thanks for posting the article. I have been trying to read up on them as much as possible.

The St. Paul paper had an article today, but there is not a lot out there. I am planning on watching the open practices on Friday and am looking forward to seeing Beth Swink play.

Here is a link to the article in the St. Paul paper:

http://www.twincities.com/mld/twincities/sports/11137051.htm

KatValeska

PostPosted: 03/15/05 6:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Back at ya Gopher5

I think both teams are similar in overall makeup and style of play. I think if the Red Flash are going to have a chance they'll need to try to turn it into a track meet.

Swink certainly knows how to get her shots up against bigger players, but I still think it's best if she simply beats McCarville down the court. Also wouldn't hurt to get her into foul trouble. Equally important, Swink needs to avoid the foul trouble.

Both teams can shoot the three, both rely heavily on their posts to open up the perimeter and both have a top-notch defensive stopper, Bolden for yunz and Black for the Red Flash.

Obviously you have one of the top centers in the nation, a great atmosphere and superior depth. All I'm really hoping for is a competitive game, but I am am pleased to hear the Flash talking about playing to win.

And don't let cthskzfan fool ya - I love McCarville's game, but I'm confident Swink does belong on the same court.

gopher5

PostPosted: 03/15/05 6:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I am looking forward to a good matchup in the post and and hoping for a competitive game as well. I think this will only help the Gophers (like the game versus UCLA in the first round last year) should they advance.

I hope you have the opportunity to come and watch the game in person. The Barn is a great place to watch basketball.

Thanks for the insight on the team.

cthskzfn

PostPosted: 03/15/05 9:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

i hear all this great stuff about the red flash and swink and then i see them play their conf. championship game and i think, what the hell was she talking about?

swink won't beat jmac up/down the floor.

for the gophers not to blow st. f out, they will have to play their worst game of the year.

KatValeska

PostPosted: 03/16/05 8:20 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I think cth's statements should be qualified with the fact that this is coming from one who has been saying all year long how badly UConn (his team) sucks. Not putting that POV down, or saying it is inferior to my own POV, just think the above statement needs qualified.

Swink by no means had a good game against RMU - actually it was her worst performance of the year after the season opener at Vanderbilt. Had you seen her drop 40 on St. Francis (NY) or her 10-of-10, 28 point performance against Purdue in last year's tournament you'd probably be saying, "wow, I see what she was talking about."

Case in point is if one were to have read a lot of wonderful things about McCarville and then seen her for the first time against Michigan State it would have been natural for one to wonder what all the fuss is about, no?

Seriously, ask pumatty, who watched her performance live last year whether or not Swink can play ball. You don't score 2,000 points by accident.

Otherwise, what I'm talking about, as if you don't already know is that I love my teams and while I'm aware of their shortcomings, I prefer to focus on the positives when posting about them. I do "get" your tough love, it's just a different approach than my own.

My favorite team had a very difficult year, and I've never loved them more than I do now.

"Strange how people who suffer together have stronger connections than people who are the most content.
You've always said 'people don't do what they believe in, they just do what's supposed to be in, then they repent.' I always said 'hang on to me baby and let's hope that the roof stays on.'"

I don't think I've ever claimed that the Red Flash were ready to start taking down top 25 teams, but they are good enough to win their conference nine of the past 10 years. They're just my homies and we Pittsburgher's are pretty loyal to the home teams no matter how long and far removed we may be.

Gopher5, I'd love to be at The Barn for this one, but alas, I work two jobs and I can't get away from a late night shift I have on Saturday. Again, I hope you enjoy it.

cthskzfn

PostPosted: 03/16/05 11:00 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

<<I think cth's statements should be qualified with the fact that this is coming from one who has been saying all year long how badly UConn (his team) sucks.>>

i don't see the point of your point. Smile

whether i think uconn sucks or not, swink isn't beating mcarville up and down the court. swink chose to be a big fish in a small pond- and that is, obviously, her choice and the right one for her. she's a great player compared to those she plays against. the NEC.

and, chaos, if you can shoot down my POV because i happened to see swink's worst game in months, then don't use her one good game vs. a real team to showcase yours. Evil or Very Mad

KatValeska

PostPosted: 03/16/05 5:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Well since this is probably the longest Red Flash thread in history why stop now?

"and, chaos, if you can shoot down my POV because i happened to see swink's worst game in months, then don't use her one good game vs. a real team to showcase yours"

From an article in today's paper.

http://www.startribune.com/stories/512/5294925.html

Basically points out the fact that although Swink had a tough go at Vanderbilt, she averaged over 23 points per game against Virginia, Va. Tech, West Virginia and Kentucky combined this season. I think that would make it clear to most that she can indeed swim in the big pond as well. I reckon it will be even clearer after Saturday.

cthskzfn

PostPosted: 03/17/05 12:39 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

can't wait.

the avg. rpi of the teams you cite is 41. that ain't the big pond.

gopherfan

PostPosted: 03/19/05 5:59 pm    ::: Good luck to both teams tonight!! Reply Reply with quote

Were in for a good game tonight not to mention it’s going to be packed tonight at Willams Arena I heard 10,000 tickets were sold for that game tonight. This game going to come down to who wants more and hopefully the gopher will have a good night and not disappoint the barn that will be a rockin. Gooooo Goooophers

Want your bad romance

http://www.elyricsworld.com/bad_romance_lyrics_lady_gaga.html
Ballwinner

PostPosted: 03/19/05 7:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'm excited that Lobo is in Minnesota. Of course, I would be excited if Lobo was reading from an accounting textbook. March brings out the strongest of bias.

PostPosted: 03/19/05 8:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Still nearly an hour before tip off - and I think my butterflies all spent six hours at Starbucks prior to taking flight in my stomach. Hope the Red Flash are calmer than I am.

I've been burning Red candles all afternoon and I have vowed that if this miracle does transpire that I will change my patron saint to St. Francis (Pa.)

Also will have my Guardian Tigress with me throughout the game.

Am I forgetting anything?

GO RED FLASH!!!!!!!!!

cthskzfn

PostPosted: 03/19/05 11:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

blah.

"I think that would make it clear to most that she can indeed swim in the big pond as well. I reckon it will be even clearer after Saturday."

womens_hoops

PostPosted: 03/19/05 11:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

the worst part for Swink was all the rejections. McCarville sat down with about 8 minutes left, and Beth still couldn't score. Tasha Williams doinked one back off her head. Youch.

This is the first I've seen her play. Part of the problem was just that her team couldn't get her the ball or create anything for her (welcome to Janel's world). But she also just didn't have the strength to get good position on our players (Janel, Liz, or Tasha), and when she did get the ball, she just wasn't able to do much. She definitely displayed some flashed of great skill, but it was a mismatch, both for her and the team.

KatValeska

PostPosted: 03/20/05 6:35 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

So it's important for some posters to take full advantage of an opportunity to show a lack of class. I'm stunned?

I'm proud of the Red Flash- they made my season - that's all I have to say.

cthskzfn

PostPosted: 03/20/05 7:41 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

you know the deal, PC. when you shoot your mouth off about how great a player (you on swink) or a team (champ on LT) is, while refusing to acknowledge the pond in which they swim, and they clearly aren't up to snuff when they meet the big fish, you've earned some backlash. nothing personal, as you know.

as said above, swink is a nice player for the level of competition- the NEC- at which she chose to compete, and she showed good judgement w/ that choice.

womens_hoops

PostPosted: 03/20/05 9:37 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ProfessorChaos06 wrote:
So it's important for some posters to take full advantage of an opportunity to show a lack of class. I'm stunned?

I'm proud of the Red Flash- they made my season - that's all I have to say.

well, I'm assuming you're including me in the "lack of class" bunch. No hard feelings, my friend -- she just got beat badly last night. Believe me, I've been there (like when McCarville got spanked by Davenport in the first game, or when she shot 1-for-17 against MSU). It's not fun to see your favorite player do crappy, or to come to the boards and hear everyone talk about how crappy she is. But when someone correctly points out that someone has a bad game, it doesn't equate to a lack of class.

A bad game is a bad game. Even great players have them. Swink and the Flash were outmatched last night. Given the circumstances -- playing a good team in March on its home floor -- the result wasn't terribly surprising.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: