RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

WCBB...who got overlooked?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CamrnCrz1974

PostPosted: 03/14/05 11:18 am    ::: WCBB...who got overlooked? Reply Reply with quote

Villanova? Gonzaga?

Still surprised Purdue got in.

On the other hand, guess the Committee took Elaine Elliott's threat seriously...

dtsnms

PostPosted: 03/14/05 11:53 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

You must have read my post on TDD. I think Villanova and Gonzaga are the two most "glaring" of the bubble teams that didn't get in.

Villanova always plays tough, and is a quality tournament, with the wit and wisdom of Harry P, and I think will be missed.

How does a team go from Top 25 to not in the field of 64 with a conf. tourney loss? Ask Gonzaga!

CamrnCrz1974

PostPosted: 03/14/05 12:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Yes, I read your post on TDD, and it was spot on (to quote Keegan and Luuuc).

And let us not forget Iowa...especially compared to Purdue.

Gaucho Don

PostPosted: 03/14/05 12:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Yeah I would think Iowa before Gonzaga? definitely Iowa before Purdue though Sad

Anyway, don't matter mcuh now Sad

accommodatingly

PostPosted: 03/14/05 12:35 pm    ::: Boilers vs Hawkeyes Reply Reply with quote

CamrnCrz1974 wrote:

DTS, your post WHERE?

I agree with the choice of Purdue over Iowa, if you have to pick just one, though not necessarily with the seed for Purdue. Iowa had a great non-conf record, but look who they played-- other than Iowa State, nobody really good (though they did beat Oklahoma and Florida). Purdue had more losses, but lost to good teams; they also beat DePaul. UCLA were good at the time-- I saw that game, and Purdue just looked horrible: they've come a long way. Purdue looked much better in Purdue vs Gophers than Iowa looked in Iowa vs Penn State.

And look at their conference records-- not just the numbers but the schedule. When Purdue played Iowa, Purdue won. Purdue also beat Penn State. (Granted both games were at Purdue.) Iowa lost to Wisconsin; Purdue lost to Illinois. (Purdue only played MSU once, Gophers, PSU and OSU twice; Iowa played Gophers once, MSU, PSU and OSU twice.)

I think I would have put both teams in.

dtsnms

PostPosted: 03/14/05 12:40 pm    ::: Re: Boilers vs Hawkeyes Reply Reply with quote

accommodatingly wrote:
CamrnCrz1974 wrote:

DTS, your post WHERE?

I agree with the choice of Purdue over Iowa, if you have to pick just one, though not necessarily with the seed for Purdue. Iowa had a great non-conf record, but look who they played-- other than Iowa State, nobody really good (though they did beat Oklahoma and Florida). Purdue had more losses, but lost to good teams; they also beat DePaul. UCLA were good at the time-- I saw that game, and Purdue just looked horrible: they've come a long way. Purdue looked much better in Purdue vs Gophers than Iowa looked in Iowa vs Penn State.

And look at their conference records-- not just the numbers but the schedule. When Purdue played Iowa, Purdue won. Purdue also beat Penn State. (Granted both games were at Purdue.) Iowa lost to Wisconsin; Purdue lost to Illinois. (Purdue only played MSU once, Gophers, PSU and OSU twice; Iowa played Gophers once, MSU, PSU and OSU twice.)

I think I would have put both teams in.

The Devil's Den, also known as Cam's Dukie Playground!

womens_hoops

PostPosted: 03/14/05 12:40 pm    ::: Re: Boilers vs Hawkeyes Reply Reply with quote

I think Purdue-Iowa was a toss-up. Like Steve, my subjective impression from watching them play (especially recently) is that Purdue is better. But looking at wins, losses, and schedule, it's a close call.

The only thing really surprising is that Purdue got in with ease -- a 9 seed, which put them about 8 teams away from the cut line -- while Iowa didn't get in at all. So the Committee apparently thought that Purdue was better than Iowa by a big margin.

Richard 77

PostPosted: 03/14/05 5:14 pm    ::: Re: WCBB...who got overlooked? Reply Reply with quote

CamrnCrz1974 wrote:
Villanova? Gonzaga?

Still surprised Purdue got in.

On the other hand, guess the Committee took Elaine Elliott's threat seriously...

SMS of the MVC. Won their conference, but lost the first game of their tourney to eventual winner Illinois State. State is the MVC's only rep in the NCAA's and has to play Baylor. SMS should have gotten in...

Keegan

PostPosted: 03/14/05 8:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

dtsnms wrote:
Villanova always plays tough, and is a quality tournament, with the wit and wisdom of Harry P, and I think will be missed.

Maybe they didn't want to have to endure the halfcourt plod again.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: