RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Lisa Leslie & Purdue
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ballwinner

PostPosted: 03/13/05 5:54 pm    ::: Lisa Leslie & Purdue Reply Reply with quote

I respect them both but am left wondering, "How did they end up at the Selection Special?"

PostPosted: 03/13/05 6:08 pm    ::: Re: Lisa Leslie & Purdue Reply Reply with quote

Ballwinner wrote:
I respect them both but am left wondering, "How did they end up at the Selection Special?"

Did you see Purdue play Minnesota on Friday? They looked good-- and much improved from Purdue as of January. That and beating Penn State (50-44) were enough. Purdue looked terrible in their early-season loss to UCLA, but at the time UCLA were a good team-- they're one of a couple teams who lost to a healthy UCLA in nonconference play, then had their RPI dragged down as a Quinnless UCLA lost and lost.

1carol

PostPosted: 03/13/05 6:55 pm    ::: Re: Lisa Leslie & Purdue Reply Reply with quote

Ballwinner wrote:

LL has been doing some college comentating. IMO she knows her days are numbered & is preparing for life after the WNBA. As talented as she is, one must admit she was a tad slower last year. She's having to work harder to keep up with/ahead of some of the college players entering the W

Anyone else notice that she finally got help with her clothes? Today's suit actually fit & didn't look crumpled.

icey23

PostPosted: 03/13/05 7:06 pm    ::: Re: Lisa Leslie & Purdue Reply Reply with quote

1carol wrote:
Ballwinner wrote:

LL has been doing some college comentating. IMO she knows her days are numbered & is preparing for life after the WNBA. As talented as she is, one must admit she was a tad slower last year. She's having to work harder to keep up with/ahead of some of the college players entering the W

Anyone else notice that she finally got help with her clothes? Today's suit actually fit & didn't look crumpled.

She couldn't have looked to slow she won MVP.

PostPosted: 03/13/05 9:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

With Jenni Lingor, Southwest Missouri State is a very solid NCAA tournament team. Their upset came against Illinois State, who went on to win the MVC tourney on their home court. Notre Dame had to go into OT last year in South Bend to beat the Lady Bears in the first round of the NCAA.

Villanova also seemed a stronger pick with wins against Penn State, ND, and BC.

I guess much of my surprise was over Purdue going from the most fragile of bubbles to being given a #9 seed.

Lisa Leslie is still figuring herself out in the studio. She's just not quite ready to join the banter between SDS and Reece Davis. I'd rather have Lawson, Lobo, or even Lieberman.

PostPosted: 03/13/05 10:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Gosh you folks love to hate Lisa.

PostPosted: 03/13/05 10:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It has nothing to do with hating Lisa. She is not a great broadcaster. As for the "tired" comment, see the 2004 playoffs.

Gaucho Don

PostPosted: 03/13/05 10:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Maybe it's just a lack of confidence thing or something, she didn't seem to do well.

I was watching it thinking "Kayte would have been a better choice" (course I'm sure I'm biased)

icey23

PostPosted: 03/13/05 10:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

She's not the best broadcaster but she is ok.

PostPosted: 03/13/05 10:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Gaucho Don wrote:
Maybe it's just a lack of confidence thing or something, she didn't seem to do well.

I was watching it thinking "Kayte would have been a better choice" (course I'm sure I'm biased)

Personally, I think she would be fine, with a different crew. I'm not a big fan of Ren And Stimpy, aka Rece and SDS ... they are a bit full of themselves if you ask me, continuing in the long line of ditzes and dingbats they make the main focus of their broadcasting teams.

CamrnCrz1974

PostPosted: 03/13/05 10:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

All of this demonstrates is how much I miss ROBIN ROBERTS!

accommodatingly

PostPosted: 03/13/05 11:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ballwinner wrote:
Villanova also seemed a stronger pick with wins against Penn State, ND, and BC.

I guess much of my surprise was over Purdue going from the most fragile of bubbles to being given a #9 seed.

The 9-10-11 seeds are hard to distinguish, at least for me, but the 'Nova omission is easy to defend-- look at their conference losses. Purdue has only one "bad" loss (Illinois). Also, remember that the committee says it gives more weight to recent games (last ten) than to early-season play.

pilight

PostPosted: 03/14/05 12:47 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

accommodatingly wrote:
Also, remember that the committee says it gives more weight to recent games (last ten) than to early-season play.

Which is why Purdue, 5-5 over their last 10 with only one of the wins against the RPI top 100, is so puzzling. Nova finished 7-3.

PostPosted: 03/14/05 2:26 am    ::: Re: Lisa Leslie & Purdue Reply Reply with quote

1carol wrote:
Ballwinner wrote:

Here's a link about LL & Lawson with comments about SDS
http://www.wnba.com/features/broadcasting_050307.html
Quote:
excerpt
The Budding Broadcasting Careers of Current Players.
Behind the Microphone

As if they are not busy enough with their professional basketball careers, several WNBA players have taken on a second job.

If you have watched any of ESPN's basketball coverage in the past year, men's or women's, you have likely seen and heard the poignant insight of L.A. sparks center Lisa Leslie and Sacramento Monarchs guard Kara Lawson. Along with the recently-retired Stacey-Dales Schuman, who played with the Washington Mystics for three seasons after being the third pick in the 2002 WNBA Draft, Lawson and Leslie are wholly unique as the first current players to balance their on-the-court workload with broadcasting in the offseason.

The Blimp

PostPosted: 03/14/05 7:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I think Lawson has been good and Leslie was good as well. SDS is simply great, a good natural communicator with insider smarts who doesn't try to beat you over the head with her expertise. As a presenter/commentator SDS is the best - a warm, attractive personality. I think I like her. Laughing

Although some are suggesting that LL is kind of winding down her playing career and looking to a role as a broadcaster I think she will be playing for a while yet.

CamrnCrz1974

PostPosted: 03/14/05 7:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Quote:
SDS is simply great, a good natural communicator with insider smarts who doesn't try to beat you over the head with her expertise.

She doesn't beat you over the head with her expertise because she doesn't have any!

Natural communicator? She yells at the television. And she spends more time on engaging in banter with Reece Davis than she does on actual substantive analysis.

pilight

PostPosted: 03/14/05 7:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

LL on Sandora Irvin:

"She reminds me of myself"

Laughing

PostPosted: 03/14/05 7:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

"Although some are suggesting that LL is kind of winding down her playing career and looking to a role as a broadcaster I think she will be playing for a while yet."

If LL is planning to earn a living in the broadcast booth once her playing days are over, she'd better be saving up a nest egg right now. She MAY keep getting some bit jobs now and then (such as the one this year) but I doubt she'll even get those once she stops playing. She really, truly does NOT have what it takes.

~rAf

~rAf
readyAIMfire53

PostPosted: 03/14/05 7:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

"All of this demonstrates is how much I miss ROBIN ROBERTS!"

AMEN!

~rAf

PS: Are you kidding me?!?!!!

~rAf
pilight

PostPosted: 03/14/05 7:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I think LL does a nice job of calling games, especially for someone with little experience. She is not well suited to studio work.

PostPosted: 03/14/05 9:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The further away from bball Robin Robers is, the better off bball is!!!

4ever_bball_fan

PostPosted: 03/15/05 9:21 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Kelli wrote:
The further away from bball Robin Robers is, the better off bball is!!!

Now that is just wrong...Robin Roberts is the best, period, the end.

sbjules

PostPosted: 03/15/05 10:54 am    ::: Re: Lisa Leslie Reply Reply with quote

Gaucho Don:
Quote:

Of course I was thinking the same thing Laughing

Way better.

The Blimp

PostPosted: 03/15/05 5:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

CamrnCrz1974 wrote:

Natural communicator? She yells at the television.

Incorrect. She doesn't yell at the television.

CamrnCrz1974

PostPosted: 03/15/05 5:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Quote:
She doesn't yell at the television.

Should have clarified. She SHOUTS unnecessarily.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: