RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Los Angeles Goes International Again

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Admiral_Needa

PostPosted: 03/09/05 4:40 pm    ::: Los Angeles Goes International Again Reply Reply with quote

I believe the Sparks have their own gate at LAX... Arrow

Quote:
Laine Selwyn, point guard for the Israeli National Team and Anda Ramat Hasharon, has signed a contract with the WNBA’s Los Angeles Sparks. Selwyn will attend the Sparks’ pre season training camp in May, and compete for a spot on the roster.

“I got invited to go to training camp, it’s not a sure thing yet but I signed the contract for the camp which is about 3 weeks. The Sparks fed-exed it to me on Sunday.

Selwyn is the Israeli league leader in assists per game with 4.9 APG, she's scoring 10.2 points per game and is ranked 2nd in assists to turnover ratio with 1.9 assists per turnover. With 5 rebounds per game, she is the league's 4th best rebounding guard.

http://www.safsal.co.il/earticle.aspx?id=2262

Maybe Teresa Weatherspoon should check her horoscope to see if a bag and a plane ticket are in her future? Shocked

bluewolfvii

PostPosted: 03/09/05 6:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Count me in Laine's corner cheering for her to make the cut in LA. I never understood why she wasn't drafted out of Pitt.

Come to think of it, it was probably those 3 words, 'out of Pitt'.

nyl_fanatic55

PostPosted: 03/11/05 4:54 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Lol signing Laine isn't exactly going international Wink
Signing Marlous Nieuwveen and Marina Mazic, now that's going international (they're both posts).

I'm sooooooooo happy for Laine, I really hope she makes it.

Does anyone know if Spoon's coming back to LA this season?

Str8_Butta

PostPosted: 03/11/05 5:34 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

nyl_fanatic55 wrote:
Lol signing Laine isn't exactly going international Wink
Signing Marlous Nieuwveen and Marina Mazic, now that's going international (they're both posts).

I'm sooooooooo happy for Laine, I really hope she makes it.

Dex might know.

Lior

PostPosted: 03/11/05 6:03 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Yeah man Laine is American, she's only been Israeli for two years. She's Jewish so she got the citizenship. Still if she makes the roster we're gonna make a huge fuss about it, not as huge as we will if Shay Doron makes the W but still huge. Laine plays for our NT after all and we love her.

It is great to see her getting a chance, I think she can make the team if Spoon calls it a career. She's small but strong for her size, has great court vision, really energetic and speedy, can drive and shoot. In Ramat Hasharon she's surrounded by great players so she doesn't take a lot of shots but it's not cause she's a Spoon type who won't shoot, she's just a pass first PG which is what L.A needs.

el_barrio_96_125

PostPosted: 03/11/05 9:41 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Str8_Butta33 wrote:

Quote:
Dex might know.

I do and soon so will you.
Lior

PostPosted: 03/11/05 10:45 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

f_blaze_coalition wrote:
Str8_Butta33 wrote:

Quote:
Dex might know.

I do and soon so will you.

Aww come on man don't do this! this means she's hanging it up right?

el_barrio_96_125

PostPosted: 03/14/05 10:45 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GoLiberty03 wrote:
Aww come on man don't do this! this means she's hanging it up right?

It means either she's trying a new approach and fooling those closest to her as a product of her weird sense of humor and will sign with San Antonio on April Fool's Day or she's made a decision that she'll announce when she gets around to it. Instead of shopping in Melrose or hanging out with Lisa at Laker games, Spoon is in NY making sure the kids she mentors are keeping their grades up. She spent half of yesterday watching her girls at Francis Lewis and Bergtraum fight for the PSAL title and then stuck around for the boys' championship.

Why is any of this relevant? Because last year was the first time in a long time that Spoon wasn't a fixture on the high school basketball scene and this year she's back to making NY appearances as if Mike at MSG was still announcing her as 5'8 from Louisiana Tech after VJ. Last year this time Spoon was a month into her escape to LA, a co-conspirator in Miko's Penny robbery and waxing poetic about how good it felt to be wanted again.

This year she's spending her weeks working hard off the court, showing up for the occassional run on the courts of BBC with her crew and spending her weekends driving through Harlem less than 2 months before training camp is set to begin and and it's not like she's playing for the Libs or Sun in 2005. She hasn't re-signed with LA and she hasn't signed with anyone else, nor has she been talking to the media about loyalty and the business of sports or playoff runs and ferocious tigers who protect their own. Yet she's got a smile from ear to ear, just moving through life without a care in the world, more eager to talk about the oddity of seeing Mique, Swoopes, DeLisha or VJ in different uniforms than her own status. Since when have we ever known Spoon to be this quiet?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: