RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Sonics & Storm officially up for sale
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  

Where would you like the Storm to relocate??
Kansas City
28%
 28%  [ 16 ]
Anaheim
7%
 7%  [ 4 ]
Oklahoma City
26%
 26%  [ 15 ]
Other
37%
 37%  [ 21 ]
Total Votes : 56

toad455

PostPosted: 04/09/06 10:53 am    ::: Sonics & Storm officially up for sale Reply Reply with quote

http://www.thenewstribune.com/sports/story/5642056p-5064040c.html

Team won't stay in Seattle. Top three cities to get the teams: Kansas City, Anaheim & Oklahoma City.

It's a shame this is happening, but I'm pulling for Kansas City. There will be a new arena in 2008 and I think the city would support both teams. I don't think Anaheim should get the teams.

umbeta1455

PostPosted: 04/09/06 10:56 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Now how does this affect free agency since some players are comfortable in Seattle and maybe not in any of those 3 cities.

bullsky

PostPosted: 04/09/06 11:03 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I think Kansas City would be a solid asset to both the WNBA and the NBA.

PostPosted: 04/09/06 11:10 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

DALLAS, DALLAS, DALLAS!

(yeah i know what mark cuban said. )

if OKC gets it then i'll have a team @5 hours north of me and one @5 hours south of me. Rolling Eyes

i just want something closer!

PEACE
bullsky

PostPosted: 04/09/06 11:21 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

c_eggleston wrote:
DALLAS, DALLAS, DALLAS!

if OKC gets it then i'll have a team @5 hours north of me and one @5 hours south of me. Rolling Eyes

If the Mavs win a title,a WNBA team in Dallas should be on the horizon.

PostPosted: 04/09/06 11:36 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Orange][Krush wrote:
c_eggleston wrote:
DALLAS, DALLAS, DALLAS!

i know. i'm trying not to get my hopes up! Smile

(COME ON MAVS!)

PEACE
caune

PostPosted: 04/09/06 11:47 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I vote for a west coast city like San Francisco or Portland because they are great fun to visit!
I don't think Aneheim could support a team

PostPosted: 04/09/06 11:48 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Quote:

I really think that's the only way he'll buy a WNBA team. The Mavs are a good team this season, but it won't be easy.

scullyfu

PostPosted: 04/09/06 11:50 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

personally, i'll believe it when i see it. Wink this could well be just another of the consortium's press releases to try to put more pressure on the city council to make a decision one way or another. gov. gregoire sent a letter to mayor nickels the other day to tell the council to basically shit or get off the pot with regards to the sonics request. their contract with key arena runs to/thru 2010.

what can i say? i'm an optimist. Smile

PostPosted: 04/09/06 12:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

"....I vote for a west coast city like San Francisco or Portland because they are great fun to visit!"

Yeah, and I'll still have a snowballs chance in hell of ever watching my team play again! I still have a hole in my life where the Portland Fire should be. God I loved that team. (Curses upon Paul Allen)

C'mon CEg, we would have to scrape you off the ceiling if you had Sheryl and Sue both in Texas. It wouldn't be pretty, now would it? Laughing

peaceplease

PostPosted: 04/09/06 12:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Quote:
C'mon CEg, we would have to scrape you off the ceiling if you had Sheryl and Sue both in Texas. It wouldn't be pretty, now would it? Laughing

Shocked

that's a good point! after all i am their #1 fan!!!
Laughing

PEACE
R U DUN

PostPosted: 04/09/06 12:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'm thinking maybe it's time I should get your package to the post office, it's still sitting there waiting. Good Grief. Embarassed

scullyfu

PostPosted: 04/09/06 12:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

caune wrote:
I vote for a west coast city like San Francisco or Portland because they are great fun to visit!
I don't think Aneheim could support a team

hey, caune, don't think portland is going to be a viable option; they already had them once and couldn't get the job done. plus, paul allen wants out from under the trailblazers too; he's claiming the team is costing him something like $100 milions this year alone, i believe. i just think there's too much turmoil in portland for the w to take a chance on putting a team back there.

if the sonics/storm were to go to anaheim, that'd be a great addition to the freeway seriers for the sonics/nba and it would definitely be a plus for the storm travelwise.

but i'm hoping something can still be worked out here in seattle to keep the teams here.

PostPosted: 04/09/06 12:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

There are also venue issues in Portland similar to those in Seattle. The Jailblazers want a new facility built for them. (or else I'm taking my team and going home, so there!) Probably not going to happen.

jimmyk

PostPosted: 04/09/06 1:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'm still trying to find someone rich in Knoxville or Nashville (or even the Tri-Cities) to pick up at least the Storm...if you don't have to take both. Two NBA teams in this state would be a colossal mistake. Maybe we could have someone in OKC buy the Sonics and someone in Knoxville buy the Storm. That would work.

Although Sue and her yearly draft picks from UConn wouldn't like it all that much. Wink

threefrom60

PostPosted: 04/09/06 1:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I am crushed. Thank god for 2004.

rebkell
Site Admin

PostPosted: 04/09/06 1:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Gatlinburg or Pigeon Forge. maybe Cherokee, NC.

BCBG25

PostPosted: 04/09/06 1:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I read that Paul Allen is looking to sell the JailBlazers in order to pursue the Sonics, the team he wanted in the first place. That's your thread of hope right there.

PostPosted: 04/09/06 1:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Reb, I like the way you think.

Pigeon Forge is one of the biggest tourist attractions in the state. Wonder if there are any arenas down there...but we're talking 2010 or 11 before they arrive, so they could build one with all those tourist tax dollars without much problem at all.

I mentioned Tri-Cities earlier mainly because they're talking about blowing up the Mini-Dome (since they don't play football anymore) and building a new basketball arena at ETSU. That could definitely work since not much happens there in the summer, and Johnson City already has Freedom Hall for all the concerts and such. That way, any conflicts would be minimal, one would think.

Don't get me wrong, I'd rather see the team stay where it is, because if the team moves, the name most likely changes (although Storm is appropriate for OKC and KC), and that would really suck.

R U DUN

PostPosted: 04/09/06 2:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Not to burst bubbles but Paul Allen doesn't give a rats ass about the WNBA, didn't want the team he already had. I don't see any hope there. Maybe they could sell the Sonics and keep the Storm? Any buyers in Seattle for a much less expensive Championship team?

threefrom60

PostPosted: 04/09/06 2:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I was going to also say that Paul Allen doesn't want a WNBA team, but maybe if he really does want to own a basketball team in this area that has a realistic shot at winning a championship, he should see that the Storm are a hell of a lot closer than either the Blazers or the Sonics.

Regardless, I sort of wish I could just stick my head in the sand and pretend none of this exists. I just want to enjoy my summer with the Storm and worry about this some other day. I don't want this hanging over everything all summer. If I only get these girls for one more year or even a couple more years, I just want to enjoy it and not keep reminding myself that they're leaving.

But that's impossible, because as someone else pointed out, it's going to affect free agency and contracts. Especially for the two big stars - why would either of them want to be forced to move to Kansas City (for instance) when they could pick whatever city they wanted to go to.

{Insert Keegan's request for an LJ sign and trade here}

R U DUN

PostPosted: 04/09/06 2:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

threefrom60 wrote:
I was going to also say that Paul Allen doesn't want a WNBA team, but maybe if he really does want to own a basketball team in this area that has a realistic shot at winning a championship, he should see that the Storm are a hell of a lot closer than either the Blazers or the Sonics.

Regardless, I sort of wish I could just stick my head in the sand and pretend none of this exists. I just want to enjoy my summer with the Storm and worry about this some other day. I don't want this hanging over everything all summer. If I only get these girls for one more year or even a couple more years, I just want to enjoy it and not keep reminding myself that they're leaving.

But that's impossible, because as someone else pointed out, it's going to affect free agency and contracts. Especially for the two big stars - why would either of them want to be forced to move to Kansas City (for instance) when they could pick whatever city they wanted to go to.

{Insert Keegan's request for an LJ sign and trade here}
I feel a little sick here.....

I was just thinking the same kind of thing. If we are going to loose them, then I want to be able to enjoy the remainder without a gloom cloud hovering about. That could be difficult. The consolation is that once I'm in the Key most everything else but the game will disappear for a couple precious hours (hopefully).

Sass

PostPosted: 04/09/06 2:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

This is horrible. If it is just a publicity stunt, shame on the people doing it, for putting the fans through such stress. If they really are leaving, it is a tragic day.

He's the greatest of the greater
get it straight - he's great
- Run-DMC
threefrom60

PostPosted: 04/09/06 2:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

R U DUN wrote:
The consolation is that once I'm in the Key most everything else but the game will disappear for a couple precious hours (hopefully).

I'd say that's a pretty safe bet, unless they start losing at home, something they haven't done very much of over the last 3 seasons. As long as they're winning, the atmosphere at the games will remain the same magic it's been.

I think for my own sanity I'm going to avoid any more message board topics (here or at Stormfans) that deal with this until there is some concrete word one way or the other.

And wouldn't it be such a shame if one of the markets that the WNBA is actually having success in (the Storm made a tiiiiny profit last year) were taken away from them? Maybe there'd be hope for getting a new WNBA team down the road, with private ownership like the Sun have, but at that point we'd be starting all over without the solid base of AD, Sue and LJ.

peaceplease

PostPosted: 04/09/06 2:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

R U DUN wrote:
I'm thinking maybe it's time I should get your package to the post office, it's still sitting there waiting. Good Grief. Embarassed

what's the hurry?
Razz

PEACE
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: