RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

UNC - most athletic team ever?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
womens_hoops

PostPosted: 03/07/05 11:24 pm    ::: UNC - most athletic team ever? Reply Reply with quote

Seriously, it's amazing to watch. They have speed at all 5 positions. They run people out of the gym.

They aren't the smartest. They don't have lots of great shooters. They don't have an offense (unless you call running, throwing up shots, and crashing the boards an offense).

But unlike most of the other teams I've seen today in all the conferences, they aren't a bit tired. Some of the plays they make -- the cuts, the slashes, the drives, the pushes up the floor -- it's unbelievable. Some other teams have one, maybe two players who can make those kinds of plays. UNC seems to have about seven.

pilight

PostPosted: 03/07/05 11:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

That's a typical Hatchell team. This one has more talent than most, but the style is the same as it always is.

They could go deep in the tournament, they could blow a game to someone like Middle Tennessee in the first round again.

PostPosted: 03/07/05 11:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
That's a typical Hatchell team. This one has more talent than most, but the style is the same as it always is.

They could go deep in the tournament, they could blow a game to someone like Middle Tennessee in the first round again.

yep. I can't stand Hatchell, but I like the style. It's fun basketball to watch.

I'd be pretty surprised if they fell apart this year like they did last year. In fact, I'd bet my house they won't. They are too amped right now.

pilight

PostPosted: 03/07/05 11:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'd love to see them face Villanova in the second round. Talk about your contrast!

PostPosted: 03/08/05 12:31 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

[quote="pilight"]I'd love to see them face Villanova in the second round. Talk about your contrast![/quote]

yeah. Villanova's MO seems to be: we're not as talented as a lot of teams, so we're more likely to win a shorter game. Which is analogous to: we aren't as good, and while we couldn't beat you in a seven-game series, we might get you in one.

A little hoops numbers theory along those lines:

http://www.yocohoops.com/story/2005/2/27/203954/981

CamrnCrz1974

PostPosted: 03/08/05 12:52 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

UNC beat Villanova earlier this year on a neutral court.

Str8_Butta

PostPosted: 03/08/05 4:38 am    ::: Re: UNC - most athletic team ever? Reply Reply with quote

I LOVE UNC, they are in my top 5 favorite WCBB teams. Ivory Latta is one tiny player that I wouldn't mind having on my WNBA team, she is awesome at times and can be annoying at others but I love her. I also can't wait to see Erlana Larkins continue to grow through her college years, she is already an dominant player as a freshman.

womens_hoops wrote:
Seriously, it's amazing to watch. They have speed at all 5 positions. They run people out of the gym.

They aren't the smartest. They don't have lots of great shooters. They don't have an offense (unless you call running, throwing up shots, and crashing the boards an offense).

But unlike most of the other teams I've seen today in all the conferences, they aren't a bit tired. Some of the plays they make -- the cuts, the slashes, the drives, the pushes up the floor -- it's unbelievable. Some other teams have one, maybe two players who can make those kinds of plays. UNC seems to have about seven.

pilight

PostPosted: 03/08/05 6:33 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

CamrnCrz1974 wrote:
UNC beat Villanova earlier this year on a neutral court.

It was close and low scoring, and it was 4 months ago. Carolina might beat them again, but it would make for an interesting matchup.

PostPosted: 03/08/05 1:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Comparing this year's version of the Heels with last years':

1) Erlana Larkins this year - Candace Sutton last year BIGGEST DIFFERENCE!!! Post play, offenive boards, running the floor
2) Ivory latta to point guard college - she's making MUCH better decision about when to shoot the ball
3) Nikita Bell - playing to her potential - Sylvia Hatchell once compared Bell's game favorably to Alana Beard's. This year we're finally seeing it and Bell won the ACC DPOY
4) Moving Little to the 3, to play WITH Atkinson. The transition was a little rough for Camille at first, but it's paying off now, BIG time. Duke' strategy to give Little the 3 pt shot (based on her 3 pt shooting %) won't be repeated by a team in the NCAA tourney. The Bell-Little-Atkinson are responsible for disrupting the offense and controlling the offenive boards.

It's ALL about recruiting...finding the right players. Right now, the Heels have the most athletic and skilled players with the least number of head cases since their 1994 National Champion team. Leah Metcalf and Kenya McBee are the only "thugs" and neither of them starts. Last night McBee went in, threw a nasty elbow, got caught and went back to the bench. She just gives breathers for the post player. And Latta just "plays" at being a head case and lulls us into thinking she's gonna do a typical UNC-head case fizzle. But instead she buries a coupla deep 3's. When this team is ON, they are not stoppable.

~rAf

~rAf
CamrnCrz1974

PostPosted: 03/08/05 2:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Very good summary, RAF. UNC has always had athletes. Nikki Teasley, Juana Brown, LaQuanda Barksdale, and Coretta Brown were all on the same squad for a few years. Going back, Marion Jones, Tonya Sampson, Charlotte Smith, and Sylvia Crawley formed the nucleus of the 1994 championship team.

But the level of athleticism, coupled with the versatility of their offensive games, are what set this year's UNC team apart from others.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: