RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Batkovic to Seattle in 2005?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Keegan

PostPosted: 03/07/05 10:33 pm    ::: Batkovic to Seattle in 2005? Reply Reply with quote

http://www.fibaeurope.com/Default.asp?coid={EA2B38BB-40D1-461E-8D3B-7240B4FCA755}&articleMode=on

Batkovic is uncertain about her plans for the next 12 months but one thing is certain in the summer of 2006 - she will finally make her debut in the WNBA with the Seattle Storm.

The move will mean Batkovic will link up with her good friend and former Australian Institute of Sport team-mate Lauren Jackson, who is now arguably the best woman basketballer in the world.

"It will happen, as far as I'm concerned," said Batkovic.

"We played together for so many years at the Institute so we will be able to adapt really easily.

"But she needs to know her time zones. She rang me here (in Spain) last week from Seattle and woke me up at 2.30am.

"I am looking forward to being coached by Anne Donovan. I'm glad she still believes in me."

Batkovic revealed she had the chance to play for Seattle, who first drafted her in 2003, this summer but she turned the offer down, even though the decision cost her a WNBA championship ring.

"A break is important," she said.

"Playing eight months a year is enough"

"I'm still young and I don't want to burn myself out. Playing eight months a year is enough."

Last edited by Keegan on 03/15/05 4:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
pilight

PostPosted: 03/07/05 10:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

That might explain why they let Vodichkova go.

PostPosted: 03/08/05 12:59 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

What's the Australian assessment of Da Batgirl?

Keegan

PostPosted: 03/08/05 1:06 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

She looked decent at the Olympics. Has to get in the block more and use her jumpshot less. Her conditioning will have to get better but this will come with exposure to a higher level of play. I'm sure she'll do well under Anne and at least she already has the post moves, which is more than I can say about most of our other post players.
boogiezen

PostPosted: 03/08/05 7:30 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

then that's good news for Seattle...

"Kim Yu-Na. A living, breathing work of art from Korea" - Cam Cole, Vancouver Sun
4ever_bball_fan

PostPosted: 03/08/05 9:26 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Regarding Bat-girl, I will believe it when I see it. I still can't see her coming over here and having her be-hind kicked night after night, the likes of which she is not accustomed. She is a big, strong girl and it would be a kick to watch her up against the likes of McCarville and Roehig!!! I think she is used to making a lot of money without that much effort.

During the Olympics, I just had the feeling that she was telling LJ in the locker room that she had seen enough of the WNBA by going up against Thompson, Griffith and Leslie in just one game. We don't play the gentile Euro-style ball or on such a fluff schedule. She will have to bring it every couple of days, with the exceptional 4-5 days off occasionally.

We'll see it if it happens. If she gets a look at any of the film from the Minn/MSU game and sees those 250#, plus-sized gals going after each other for 30+ minutes, she might well rethink coming over and playing for the rookie minimum.

kinkitola

PostPosted: 03/08/05 12:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

But if anyone can take her and mold her into a WNBA caliber post then its Donovan. This also is a nice lure to keep LJ in Seattle in 2006. She needs more Aussies since the Merc are hogging all of them.

PostPosted: 03/08/05 4:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

4ever_bball_fan wrote:
Regarding Bat-girl, I will believe it when I see it. I still can't see her coming over here and having her be-hind kicked night after night, the likes of which she is not accustomed. She is a big, strong girl and it would be a kick to watch her up against the likes of McCarville and Roehig!!! I think she is used to making a lot of money without that much effort.

During the Olympics, I just had the feeling that she was telling LJ in the locker room that she had seen enough of the WNBA by going up against Thompson, Griffith and Leslie in just one game. We don't play the gentile Euro-style ball or on such a fluff schedule. She will have to bring it every couple of days, with the exceptional 4-5 days off occasionally.

We'll see it if it happens. If she gets a look at any of the film from the Minn/MSU game and sees those 250#, plus-sized gals going after each other for 30+ minutes, she might well rethink coming over and playing for the rookie minimum.

The only thing I'll say is that don't go jumping to conclusions. Give her a chance and see what happens.
The Blimp

PostPosted: 03/13/05 6:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

4ever_bball_fan wrote:
She is a big, strong girl and it would be a kick to watch her up against the likes of McCarville and Roehig!!! I think she is used to making a lot of money without that much effort. If she gets a look at any of the film from the Minn/MSU game and sees those 250#, plus-sized gals going after each other for 30+ minutes, she might well rethink coming over and playing for the rookie minimum.

Wrong game to pick! McCarville played like a beached whale for the whole game! Sure, she's better than that game indicated but then again Batkovic is a lot tougher than you give her credit for and cuts it at the International level which is um . . . just a little bit harder than the NCAA! Laughing

wadethered

PostPosted: 03/13/05 9:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The Blimp wrote:
cuts it at the International level which is um . . . just a little bit harder than the NCAA! Laughing

For the most part you are right, but I would bet my life that the 2002 UConn women's team would kick the crap out of Samara on any given night.

Also, anyone think/desperately hope (like me) that this is a stepping stone in getting Amaya Valdemoro to come to Seattle?

Keegan

PostPosted: 03/13/05 10:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

wadethered wrote:
For the most part you are right, but I would bet my life that the 2002 UConn women's team would kick the crap out of Samara on any given night.

Start digging that grave then...
wadethered

PostPosted: 03/13/05 11:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Keegan wrote:

You don't think Sue Bird, Swin Cash, Diana Taurasi, Tamika Williams, Asjha Jones and Geno Auriemma would beat Samara? They could have been the US Olympic team and walked out of there with a gold!

Keegan

PostPosted: 03/13/05 11:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

wadethered wrote:
Keegan wrote:

You don't think Sue Bird, Swin Cash, Diana Taurasi, Tamika Williams, Asjha Jones and Geno Auriemma would beat Samara? They could have been the US Olympic team and walked out of there with a gold!

Nope, not the 2002 version of them.

There is a huge difference between college and pro ball (even European pro ball) that is often not appreciated and Samara is one of the top European teams to boot with good vets from all over the world. Maybe the 2005 version of them could but definitely not the 2002 version. In addition, 2002 UConn had no depth whatsoever. If any of the five got in foul trouble, they would be in deep shit.
inky

PostPosted: 03/14/05 12:57 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

wadethered wrote:
Keegan wrote:

What have you been smoking? No, I don't think. I don't even entertain the thought. Have you watched much of the international game?

Keegan

PostPosted: 03/14/05 2:49 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I should also add that if the 2005 version of Bird, DT, Swin, Asjha and T Williams was the Olympics team, they would be very lucky to win bronze. You barely beat Russia and us with a full strength team!
wadethered

PostPosted: 03/14/05 1:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

inky wrote:

What have you been smoking? No, I don't think. I don't even entertain the thought. Have you watched much of the international game?

It's called sarcasm. Heck, there wasn't even an Olympics in 2002, LOL.

I don't know about the 2002 Samara team, but I could see the 2002 Huskies beating the 2005 Samara, that's what I meant.

Also, the 2004 US Olympic team was hardly at full strength. Our best shooter played all of about 8 minutes in the tournament with knee problems, and Sheryl Swoopes had chronic foot (?) injury.

inky

PostPosted: 03/14/05 1:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

wadethered wrote:
It's called sarcasm. Heck, there wasn't even an Olympics in 2002, LOL.

Sorry. You never know with UConn. Some of their fans seem to believe that the only reason Chicago won so many NBA titles behind Michael Jordan is because they never had to face Bird, Jones, Cash and Williams - and that it would only have taken those four to educate Jordan, Pippen, Rodman et al on the way the game is properly played. Very Happy

Keegan

PostPosted: 03/14/05 3:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

wadethered wrote:

I don't know about the 2002 Samara team, but I could see the 2002 Huskies beating the 2005 Samara, that's what I meant.

Unlikely

wadethered wrote:

Also, the 2004 US Olympic team was hardly at full strength. Our best shooter played all of about 8 minutes in the tournament with knee problems, and Sheryl Swoopes had chronic foot (?) injury.

TT/LL/Yo were effective and that's full strength enough.
Keegan

PostPosted: 03/15/05 4:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

According to SonOfOovy (who then proceeded to go on a rant about Seth. He's more predictable than gay men at a Kylie Minogue concert)
The Blimp

PostPosted: 03/15/05 5:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

There does seem to be a blind spot with assessments of US players versus others. Recently someone tried to suggest that Nicole Ohlde will be the dominant post player in the WNBA for the next five years. Janell McCarville was seen as a superior player to the Australian center Batkovic.

Firstly Nicole has yet to establish that she is a commanding post player, she may end up being the dominant post player in the WNBA for five or ten years but she ain't anywhere near that yet and it will take at least one or two seasons before she can absorb enough hard lessons from the existing strong post players before she is even in the ball park - although I agree that she has arrived, at this stage she is still in the car park rather than the ball park for post player dominance.
Janell McCarville is certainly a great prospect. But if she can be contained as she was in the game mentioned by 4ever_bball_fan - contained by heavy defense, we saw that she is a young relatively inexperienced player who can be thrown out of her groove. She then lost patience and started to force shots. What had appeared to be a game full of sweet moves, great hands etc, dissolved into panic.
I guess I'm just saying that whilst the NCAA and that great great U-Conn team are of a high standard - it isn't the same standard as we see at the top in International competitions.

Keegan

PostPosted: 03/15/05 5:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I agree, The Blimp.

With regards to Suzy, the biggest knock against her is conditioning but that will improve as she's exposed to a higher level of the game. If I had to choose between her and McCarville, I'd pick Suzy any day because #1 Suzy is at least 3 inches taller and #2 Suzy has a much more consistent outside shot. I did watch McCarville in that ugly MSU/Minn game and her draft stock has dropped a bit in my eyes (though it didn't help that Minny has very little perimeter firepower).
CamrnCrz1974

PostPosted: 03/15/05 5:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Quote:
the dominant post player in the WNBA for the next five years

I disagree with Ohlde in reference to the above statement. Ohlde will be a very solid player and will put up very good numbers, but not dominant.

"Dominant" post players will be players like Sylvia Fowles, Courtney Paris, and Jessica Davenport.

4ever_bball_fan

PostPosted: 03/15/05 5:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The one thing that we do know about Suzy Batkovic is that she has not played one minute of basketball in a WNBA uniform. Until she signs on the dotted line, shows up for training camp and takes her bumps from the veteran and young post players over here, we have no idea how she will perform or if she will stay for any period of time.

I just think the pay level compared to what will be required of her will be a constant struggle in her head. I don't mean to say that she is not mature enough to adapt and grow, but she is an unknown entity in the W at this juncture.

I loved watching her in the OG's and hope she does what it takes to compete in our league. It will only make her a better player when she goes back to Europe to make the big bucks.

Keegan

PostPosted: 03/15/05 5:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

4ever_bball_fan wrote:
but she is an unknown entity in the W at this juncture.

Just like any other rookie. However, considering she's played with and against WNBA players in Europe and the Olympics/World Champs, she's probably more of a known quantity. She's at least held her own in those competitions.

As for the pay thing, you know something I don't? Suzy's main issue has been about preserving the health of her body. You wouldn't want her to end up like LJ.

Last edited by Keegan on 03/15/05 6:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
inky

PostPosted: 03/15/05 6:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

4ever_bball_fan wrote:

I just think the pay level compared to what will be required of her will be a constant struggle in her head.

Just as it's been for Lauren Jackson? Swin Cash? Dawn Staley? Any of the other WNBA players that command a higher salary overseas?

You're making several quantum-leap assumptions here, unless you and Batkovic know each other well enough that you can assess her motivations.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: