RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Elaine Powell Fight at Polish Finals
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
dtsnms

PostPosted: 03/11/05 11:08 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I would like to take a second here for a quick intermission on the EP thread, and apologize for hijacking the thread yesterday. Embarassed

I hate it when others do it, and then I did it myself. Crying or Very sad

I will try to redirect to a new thread in the future or take it to email in the future.

smenko

PostPosted: 03/11/05 11:17 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Thanks dts for that apology. It kind of parallels EP's contrite way of apologizing. Your passion got the better of you and it showed. It happens.

sambista

PostPosted: 03/11/05 11:24 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

womens_hoops wrote:
A fine and a suspension from the league, to me, seem like a minimum. Paying for Jelena's injury, through a civil suit or something else, also seems fair.

just picking up this part of your quote to carry over, i agree with your whole argument, womens_hoops. well said. but i'd rather just leave it at her paying for jelena's injury. a civil suit would be a whole other ball of wax.

PostPosted: 03/11/05 11:36 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

sebibb wrote:

i'd rather just leave it at her paying for jelena's injury. a civil suit would be a whole other ball of wax.

Agreed absolutely! It's always better to work these things out out-of-court. Lawsuits, contrary to what most lawyers will tell you, rarely bring any sense of vindication or closure.

I hope EP is able to get in touch with Jelena, work something out for payment, avoid any lawsuit... so they can both move on with their lives. I'm sure this has been pretty terrible for both of them.

Slovydal

PostPosted: 03/11/05 12:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Personally, I accept Elain's apology/account of what happened.

Having lost my Mother less than two years ago - and only recently begun to FEEL the whole thing, I understand how she could "snap"
Everyone deals with loss differently.
...and while we're on the subject, if I hear one more person question Chamiqe's depression, I'M gonna snap!

As far as criminal charges - give me a break.
L.L. "could have" seriously injured DeMya last fall, but I bet it you asked her about it, she would say, "I was just caught up in the game and was frustrated. I didn't mean to injure anyone."

It's the responsibility of the officials to not let games get out of hand. Which by every account, this game was.

womens_hoops

PostPosted: 03/11/05 12:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Slovydal wrote:
but I bet it you asked her about it, she would say, "I was just caught up in the game and was frustrated. I didn't mean to injure anyone."

sorry, but things like "I just snapped" and "I was just caught up in the heat of the game" and "I didn't really mean to hurt her" are not a defense to criminal assault charges. Nor should they be.

Maybe you think that criminal charges should never be brought in cases of on-field violence in any sport. That's a fair argument (one that came up after Indiana-Detroit and plenty of other times). I don't really have a position on that one, but I note that most prosecutors (whose decision it is) reject the idea.

But the mere fact that "I snapped in the heat of the moment" isn't a defense. Imagine what the world would be like if it were.

Slovydal

PostPosted: 03/11/05 12:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

my statement has been taken completely out of context.

If the situation occured anywhere but -

DURING A GAME THAT THE OFFICIALS LET GET OUT OF HAND

it would be a diferent story.

womens_hoops

PostPosted: 03/11/05 1:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Slovydal wrote:
my statement has been taken completely out of context.

If the situation occured anywhere but -

DURING A GAME THAT THE OFFICIALS LET GET OUT OF HAND

it would be a diferent story.

ok, put it back in context.

You are charged with battery. You go into court and your defense is: "It's not my fault. Yes, I hit her, but it was during a game that the officials let get out of hand."

You say "based on that, your honor, I believe you should dismiss the charges."

What is the ruling?

michalu

PostPosted: 03/11/05 5:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Some news:

After tomography made in hospital, Jelena has the bone broken twice with misplacing (translocating? shifting? (I hope that myou understand)). Swelling is still big, so doctors havn't decided yet about an operation. They will decide next week.

According to our law, DA office decided to begin an investigation not against EP, but first they have to qualify an event. Probably it will be charge of making an injury which doesn't allowed to work longer than 7 days. (3 months to 5 years). DA office in Cracow wants to call EP for confession. Practically, if you didn't have any faults earlier, it's hard to go to jail. If there is any criminal charge in court, she will receive penalty with suspension.

Jelena hasn't talked to the press. All she left in her agent's hands. Her Agent says, that there will be civil accusation, and Wisla's chairman said, that he would do anything to help Jelena in her actions.

There are rumors that, Krakow wants Tamecka Dixon. If abybody hear about it? (maybe it is for next season, just sb. from US, wrote it on our board)

inky

PostPosted: 03/11/05 6:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

michalu wrote:
Some news:

After tomography made in hospital, Jelena has the bone broken twice with misplacing (translocating? shifting? (I hope that myou understand)). Swelling is still big, so doctors havn't decided yet about an operation.

Displaced fracture is what you mean, I think, michalu. It means that the bone will need to be reset, because it was knocked out of position. Do you know if the the fracture is in her nose? Cheekbone? Jaw? Orbit?

michalu

PostPosted: 03/11/05 6:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Of course I know, but in polish!!!! WRRRRRR, I am so mad at myself, that I can't find appropriate word!

It is not cheekbone, but that bone which is nearer the eye than a cheekbone.

EDIT

I think I know: ZYGOMA?

Slovydal

PostPosted: 03/11/05 7:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

supra-orbital ridge?

BBallFanCT729

PostPosted: 03/11/05 7:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The zygomatic is known as the cheekbone. Bones that are nearer to the eye are the lacriminal bone and the infraorbital bone.

Slovydal

PostPosted: 03/11/05 7:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

BBallFanCT729 wrote:
The zygomatic is known as the cheekbone. Bones that are nearer to the eye are the lacriminal bone and the infraorbital bone.

I've been away from school for a while - lol!

infra-orbital sounds right.

Anyway, I'm sorry to hear the girl got that banged up!

bluewolfvii

PostPosted: 03/12/05 9:32 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

From the English speaking FPKK fan board.
http://www.basketmania.pl/viewtopic.php?t=3037&sid=a19b22e81d481e0098673c7005a292fd

We had two games of play off of Polish league, yesterday and today. Elaine was sitting on the bench very quiet. She is sorry I'm sure. We, Gdynia's fans will help her with that problem. On Tuesday we play very important game in Brno, Czech Republik. A game of play offs to get to Final Four of Euroleague. About 40 Polish fans go to Brno to support Lotos and Elaine Powell. We are always with the team, the whole team, no matter what. Elaine did wrong, but she has her punishment. I really hope she and Tweety will play in Gdynia next season.

I am impressed with Lotos Gdynia fans who are showing support for Elaine. Everyone is naturally concerned for the victim, but these last two months, and especially now after this, it is hard to imagine how sad and lonely is Elaine. Elaine is fortunate to have these good people showing her they care in Poland.

womens_hoops

PostPosted: 03/14/05 3:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

still waiting to hear from SFO.

my guess: he's actually proud of EP, and he'd love to just come out and say it (think Nicholson in A Few Good Men). But he's just smart enough not to do so.

smenko

PostPosted: 03/14/05 4:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I noticed earlier today that SFO was on the forum here. I can only imagine what BL's thoughts might be over the "bad girl" incident, but I think he may be testing this board to see how the general basketball public is digesting this story.

Slovydal

PostPosted: 03/14/05 4:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It's possible that he can't comment on it.

I'd refrain from asking SFO about it if he logs on. If he has something to say about it, he will.

CamrnCrz1974

PostPosted: 03/14/05 4:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

To Tweety and Powell:

Bad Girls...talking about the sad girls...Bad Girls...

Nothing like a little Donna Summer to pick up the day! Love to love you, baby!

dtsnms

PostPosted: 03/14/05 4:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

CamrnCrz1974 wrote:
To Tweety and Powell:

Bad Girls...talking about the sad girls...Bad Girls...

Nothing like a little Donna Summer to pick up the day! Love to love you, baby!

Hey cut EP some slack, she works hard for the money. It's too bad that she's now had her Last Dance in Europe; she better Dim All the Lights on the way out! Laughing

Dtfan

PostPosted: 03/14/05 4:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

You guys are too funny!!! Laughing
and too quick for me!!

womens_hoops

PostPosted: 03/14/05 4:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Slovydal wrote:
It's possible that he can't comment on it.

I'd refrain from asking SFO about it if he logs on. If he has something to say about it, he will.

oh, I think he has something to say about it. I just think he'll keep it semi-private, which means we'll never see anything here, whether we ask him or not.

bluewolfvii

PostPosted: 03/15/05 9:16 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

my guess: he's actually proud of EP, and he'd love to just come out and say it

Happy to say I don't share your opinion of SFO. Perhaps you are confusing a sports persona with knowing something about who someone is.

[You guys are too funny!!!
and too quick for me!!

Missed the humor. One player is in the hospital requiring surgery, and another is facing criminal and civil charges overseas, having just lost her mother. Its a real side splitter.

dtsnms

PostPosted: 03/15/05 9:26 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

bluewolfvii wrote:
my guess: he's actually proud of EP, and he'd love to just come out and say it

Happy to say I don't share your opinion of SFO. Perhaps you are confusing a sports persona with knowing something about who someone is.

[You guys are too funny!!!
and too quick for me!!

Missed the humor. One player is in the hospital requiring surgery, and another is facing criminal and civil charges overseas, having just lost her mother. Its a real side splitter.

Blue, sometimes you laugh to keep from crying. I can't speak for Cam, but from my perspective, I love the game of women's basketball. It's an uphill battle trying to keep the naysayers and no-carers from preventing the WNBA from existing. We can only do so much with buying tickets, etc. It's up to the players to conduct themselves in a manner that is respectful, proper and dignified. In other words, different than their male counterparts in many instances. Then you get two numskulls like Nolan and Powell that go overseas and go DUI and punch out an opponent, regardless of her "mental state". Can you imagine if that happened here the damage they would do to the league?

People here have said cut EP some slack, I have not been one of those. Neither has Cam. So if I made a joke on this board to vent some of the agitation and concern about the situation I feel, then, yes I feel it's acceptable, even at the expense of the situation. Believe me, it's far from being taken lightly.

bluewolfvii

PostPosted: 03/15/05 9:51 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I can't speak for Cam

Funny, but I don't remember asking you to. I didn't mention Cam.

Then you get two numskulls like Nolan and Powell that go overseas and go DUI and punch out an opponent, regardless of her "mental state". Can you imagine if that happened here the damage they would do to the league?

This league has dealt with worse. Holding two players accountable for the future of the league isn't saying much for the league, is it? And its hardly fair to the players.

Those players are facing their punishment. If you want to continue to throw stones, count me out. Its not funny.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 6 of 7

Jump to: