RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Minnesota 66, OHST 63 F/OT nm

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bballjunkee212

PostPosted: 03/06/05 5:35 pm    ::: Minnesota 66, OHST 63 F/OT nm Reply Reply with quote

Minnesot came from behind in the stretch.

PostPosted: 03/06/05 5:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Maybe that #1 seed for Stanford isn't such a stretch...
pilight

PostPosted: 03/06/05 5:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Where was I? Oh yeah, Ohio State can't beat good teams away from home. They're 0-fer against the top 40 RPI when playing anywhere other than Columbus. I don't expect a deep tournament run from the Buckys.

PostPosted: 03/06/05 6:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
Where was I? Oh yeah, Ohio State can't beat good teams away from home. They're 0-fer against the top 40 RPI when playing anywhere other than Columbus. I don't expect a deep tournament run from the Buckys.

Wow, plight, thanks for giving Minny "good team" status Very Happy
Got a say I'm proud of my little Gopheretts & J-Mac to pull this one out. For the Gophs this was a good thing. I'll be interested to see how OSU deals during the NCAA's.

stever

PostPosted: 03/06/05 8:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It was just a terrific win for the Gophers. Jmac played with the heart of a lion today!

Slovydal

PostPosted: 03/06/05 8:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Good Gawd! Homegirl is BIG!!!

BBallFanCT729

PostPosted: 03/06/05 8:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Slovydal wrote:
Good Gawd! Homegirl is BIG!!!

Yeah. Gotta say...not liking the hair/headband. It's her personality, and that's great, but I just don't like it.

That said...it doesn't matter what I think. I'm sure Janel is happy with her look Smile .

stever

PostPosted: 03/06/05 9:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

...you better believe it, Slovy, tomorrow night she matches up against:

Conseco will be rockin'!

BBallFanCT729

PostPosted: 03/06/05 9:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Lets Go Spartans!!!

Slovydal

PostPosted: 03/06/05 9:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I wish I was already in Indy!

accommodatingly

PostPosted: 03/06/05 10:22 pm    ::: matchups Reply Reply with quote

stever wrote:
...you better believe it, Slovy, tomorrow night she matches up against:

Conseco will be rockin'!

Janel should win the matchup against Roehrig, either by a little or by a lot.

The really scary matchups for us Gopher fans are the guard matchups-- Haynie vs Bolden (when the Spartans have the ball) and Bowen/ Lucas-Perry/ Haynes vs Schonrock/Roysland/Calhoun, and Haynie vs Schonrock/ Calhoun/ Roysland (when the Gophs have the ball): uh-oh. We'll see...

ILuvCatch

PostPosted: 03/06/05 10:40 pm    ::: Re: matchups Reply Reply with quote

Quote:
Janel should win the matchup against Roehrig, either by a little or by a lot.

Only if the officals don't have the balls to call the rough play. She and Broback are quite a tag team.

Go Spartans!

accommodatingly

PostPosted: 03/06/05 10:52 pm    ::: Re: matchups Reply Reply with quote

ILuvCatch wrote:
Only if the officals don't have the balls to call the rough play. She and Broback are quite a tag team.!

Oh dear. Here we go again.

Yes, loosely-called games tend to favor the Gophers, and tightly-called games tend to favor their opponents, because the Gophers depend on aggressive man-to-man defense and on post moves in their offense. Tightly called games favor sharpshooters and superb free throw shooting teams; except for Schonrock and Roysland, the Gophers are neither.

That doesn't make McCarville or Broback "dirty." Dirty is holding opponents' arms (the way the Sparks do), grabbing jerseys, fouling to injure, cracks to the ribcage, tripping, etc.

Roehrig, a player I like, has some muscular inside moves herself. MSU are a wonderful team this year and I want them to win pretty much whenever they're not playing the Gophers. Almost all the Gopher fans I know share this sentiment.

I was a little bummed out by some of Tanisha Wright's aggressive moves today, because I've liked her play in the past, and I really didn't like the elbows she administered to the sternum of the MSU players who guarded her on her drives.

The Big Ten is a physical conference-- one reason, as Mike Thibault noted this morning, Big Ten players hold promise for pro play.

Kelli

PostPosted: 03/07/05 7:55 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

http://www.indystar.com/articles/2/227408-7332-036.html

"It was a very physical basketball game," Ohio State coach Jim Foster said. ". . . If you're going to make it a game of strength, there are not too many people who are going to compete with (McCarville). She is one of the strongest players I have ever seen."

MNfan22

PostPosted: 03/07/05 2:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Oh man the Roehrig & McCarville match up could/should be worth the price of admission.

Now for me grabbing a jersey as players are running by is not cool but for post players, pulling on the jersey is a trick of the trade & when they get caught they know their wrong & if they don't the players deal with it.

When MSU came here & put that BIG hurtin on the Gophs, late in the gm that matchup was the most entertaining thing happening. It was classic. With about 7 min left in the gm they were working their butts off trying to get position on each ohter.

There was a point where there was no dead ball or TO for a long time & they were both dog tired. They would come lumbering down the court & whoever got to the paint 1st, would get a 'love' tap from the other. Then it was like they got a burst of energy while trying to get position. They would have a forarm in the others chest or back trying to move each other out of their comfort zone or the old grab the jersey from behind to try and front. Once play headed to the other end, they'd lumber down the court & battle all over again.

It was great, it was classic to me. Just hard nosed play that you would expect from 2 big post. I expect both teams to come out & leave it all on the floor tonight. Heres to good clean fun by both teams and the ref calling a good gm & letting both teams play. GO GOPHERS !

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: