RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Geno: Houston let team down.
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
stever

PostPosted: 03/30/06 7:41 am    ::: Geno: Houston let team down. Reply Reply with quote

http://www.norwichbulletin.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060330/SPORTS/603300334/1006

"To hear the words leaving Geno Auriemma's mouth caused the lingering members of the media to regain a sense of focus despite the clock ticking well into the early hours of Wednesday morning.
Having been cordial, and even humorous, in many of his postgame comments following a difficult overtime loss to Duke with a trip to the Final Four on the line, the UConn women's basketball coach suddenly took a different tone when the topic of Charde Houston came up."

CourtsideTix

PostPosted: 03/30/06 8:27 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Wow. No wonder so many people are turned off by Geno. There are things a coach can and should say to a player, and things a coach should say to the media, and they aren't necessarily always the same.

bullsky

PostPosted: 03/30/06 8:46 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

CourtsideTix wrote:
Wow. No wonder so many people are turned off by Geno. There are things a coach can and should say to a player, and things a coach should say to the media, and they aren't necessarily always the same.

Seriously. No wonder a lot of recruits have changed their mind. I wonder if Houston might transfer because she and Geno have never gotten along at all.

PostPosted: 03/30/06 9:02 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Brenda with Kristi when the going got rough vs St John's

Geno on Charde when the going got rough:
Quote:
If she's fragile, then it's time for her either to break or it's time for her to get a little bit tougher," Auriemma said. "And, to be honest with you, both of those scenarios are OK with me. If she's that fragile and she breaks and doesn't want to fight it, then go some place else and she won't have to worry about it.

Come to Momma, Charde! You'll LOVE it at Maryland. Wink Wink

dtsnms

PostPosted: 03/30/06 9:25 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

COME ON! READ THE WHOLE THING AND KEEP IT IN CONTEXT!

It wasn't nearly as bad as you make it out to be.

He said he drew the play up for her, he said that she has to realize it's not just her, it's the team, and that she needs to get it over the summer since she'll be the big fish next year.

No one here was in that locker room! He made a point in an article today of saying he looked around it afterwards, and was "happy" with the reactions of players like Thomas and Montgomery, who seemed to understand the bottom low of losing a game like this and wouldn't want to feel it again. He said Charde was not that way.

Would you rather if he gave bullshit lip service to the press about how he wants to hug her and tell her everything's okay charday-va-wavy. BULLSHIT!

Alepp03

PostPosted: 03/30/06 9:26 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

That has got to be the most brutal form of tough love I've ever seen. Perhaps I just don't understand his relationship with Charde, but this really does seem as though he is running her out.

Charde, with a fire lit under her bottom, could probably become an absolute terror. Why would Geno want to send that player elsewhere?

I hear UCSB doesn't take you unless you've played collegiate ball at another school Laughing

PostPosted: 03/30/06 9:27 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

This is not the first time Geno has criticized a player in public...and it won't be the last. I understand if he feels that way, but you just don't say it, imo.

dtsnms

PostPosted: 03/30/06 9:36 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Alepp03 wrote:

Charde, with a fire lit under her bottom, could probably become an absolute terror. Why would Geno want to send that player elsewhere?

If you're a top 10 program and you've got Tina Charles coming in, why do you WANT that person if she won't play hard or execute?

I'm a HUGE Charde fan, and I hope Geno hasn't fried this kid, honestly, but I think to jump on one set of comments, AFTER HE DREW UP THE POTENTIAL GAME WINNING PLAY FOR HER, is really, really silly.

ripleydc

PostPosted: 03/30/06 9:36 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

dtsnms wrote:
Would you rather if he gave bullshit lip service to the press about how he wants to hug her and tell her everything's okay charday-va-wavy. BULLSHIT!

actually, dts, I would. you and I obviously disagree. I think it's bad form to criticize a single player in public, in the press (particularly after an emotional loss.) Pat Summit may be breathing fire at her players all game long, but (correct me if I'm wrong), I honestly cannot recall her singling out an individual player for criticism after the game in the media room....criticize the effort of the entire team? yes. but a single player? no.

dtsnms

PostPosted: 03/30/06 9:42 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ripleydc wrote:
dtsnms wrote:

actually, dts, I would. you and I obviously disagree. I think it's bad form to criticize a single player in public, in the press (particularly after an emotional loss.) Pat Summit may be breathing fire at her players all game long, but (correct me if I'm wrong), I honestly cannot recall her singling out an individual player for criticism after the game in the media room....criticize the effort of the entire team? yes. but a single player? no.

Respectfully, you don't know UConn and the CT dynamics.

He did not criticize a single player. There were other quotes that I heard on local radio and other places. He called out Ann for no showing. He commented that Mel took shots into Allie Bales' arms. The Charde relationship is unlike any in Connecticut since Svet vs Geno left, and the Courant chews it up. They LIVE for shit like this, honestly. I can go back through the archives at courant.com and find no less than five different articles without a problem about Geno vs. Charde.

Also, this is the same Jeff Jacobs that wrote a lovely column saying he was done being nice to Jim Calhoun because he was denied a press credential to something. That he's better than Calhoun, and Jim better watch out now.

He has a repeated axe to grind with UConn. Instead of celebrating Ann, Barbara, Willnet and Nicole Wolff the days after, he writes this. Come on, he couldn't find another story? Of course he could, but we wouldn't be talking about it would we? Mission accomplished.

PUmatty

PostPosted: 03/30/06 9:44 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ripleydc wrote:
Pat Summit may be breathing fire at her players all game long, but (correct me if I'm wrong), I honestly cannot recall her singling out an individual player for criticism after the game in the media room....criticize the effort of the entire team? yes. but a single player? no.

After the loss to Duke in the 1999 NCAAs - where Chamique Holdsclaw had one of the worst games in her careers and was an absolute wreck afterwards. Summit's quote was something very much like
Quote:

Chamique wasn't Chamique for us tonight, and if she doesn't play like she's capable of, then we can't win.

Holdsclaw was on her way out and couldn't even draw motivation from it. Reb will verify that I am far from a Holdsclaw fan Wink but even I felt bad for her at that comment.

accommodatingly

PostPosted: 03/30/06 9:45 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

BBallFanCT729 wrote:
This is not the first time Geno has criticized a player in public...and it won't be the last. I understand if he feels that way, but you just don't say it, imo.

Lots of UConn players have screwed up in the past two years, and Geno hasn't denounced any of them in public except Charde. (He didn't, for example, say "Ketia Swanier needs to grow a brain" at any time last year, or "Mel Thomas seems to think hitting the floor is fun, and it actually makes her defense worse," or "Brittany Hunter needs to develop about ten more post moves, since she has the speed of a tortoise.")

Certain players who come in with a lot of confidence get this treatment from Geno (Svet and Diana come to mind). He thinks it will improve their game.

I think it looks bad, but it looks much less bad the longer and closer you've been watching Geno. He's gambling that it will inspire Charde to improve, and that she'll be grateful for it later. Early this season I would have taken that gamble too. Now I'm not so sure.

I also wonder about what he said, vs what got reported-- about, as DTS put it, context.

ripleydc

PostPosted: 03/30/06 9:45 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

would you want the youngster in your avatar to play for this man?

you approve of these "dynamics"?

pilight

PostPosted: 03/30/06 9:46 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

dtsnms wrote:
seemed to understand the bottom low of losing a game like this and wouldn't want to feel it again. He said Charde was not that way.

I hate players like that. I recall being highly annoyed with Chas Melvin when she was all giggles at the press conference after the Rockers got knocked out of the 2003 playoffs, and I wasn't even a Cleveland fan. I said then that I would never want her on my team. If Houston is like that, I hope Van stays away from her when the time comes.

PostPosted: 03/30/06 9:48 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

dtsnms wrote:
The Charde relationship is unlike any in Connecticut since Svet vs Geno left, and the Courant chews it up. They LIVE for shit like this, honestly. I can go back through the archives at courant.com and find no less than five different articles without a problem about Geno vs. Charde.

Also, this is the same Jeff Jacobs that wrote a lovely column saying he was done being nice to Jim Calhoun because he was denied a press credential to something. That he's better than Calhoun, and Jim better watch out now.

He has a repeated axe to grind with UConn. Instead of celebrating Ann, Barbara, Willnet and Nicole Wolff the days after, he writes this. Come on, he couldn't find another story? Of course he could, but we wouldn't be talking about it would we? Mission accomplished.

I don't know who Jeff Jacobs is, but the article linked at the top of this thread is by Arthur Sherman in the Norwich Bulletin (not the Hartford Courant). And as for anyone "finding another story," there's no story if Geno doesn't verbally flagellate his players in public.

dtsnms

PostPosted: 03/30/06 9:53 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ripleydc wrote:
would you want the youngster in your avatar to play for this man?

you approve of these "dynamics"?

Those are two different questions.

She could play for him anytime. He's an amazing coach, who gets a ton out of his players. You have to realize going in what he's like, and have to be able to handle it.

Approve of these "dynamics"? Not necessarily, no I don't. I don't see what he does with the kids every day in practice though, after games, before games, in his office, etc. For all we know, he tells the kids "I'm going to say stuff to keep attention on us" don't believe it. Who knows?

What I don't approve mostly of here, is everyone saying this guy is to the right of Adolf Hitler, when reading an article from a slanted author, at a time designed to get its last digs in prior to ending the season. When the quotes are read, not seen, in their context.

This one above is from the Norwich paper. Also it was in the Courant. Both writers are trying to compete and sell papers.

Final thought, this was ONE article in today's Courant. Jeff Jacobs' editorial. The NEWS column in the paper had this:

"We're going to be pretty good," Auriemma said. "We're going to be really good. Next year, we're going to have some things we don't have this year. We have two big guys that can score in the lane. We don't have that right now. We haven't had anybody like Tina Charles play for us in a long, long time."

Auriemma said his team didn't truly come to believe in itself until after the hideous Feb. 27 loss at Rutgers. By then, it might have been too late. But when Tuesday's game was over, Auriemma saw the look in his returning players' eyes that gave him hope for the future - a look that said they didn't want to lose like this ever again.

"After we lost the [North] Carolina game this year, I saw some things in the locker room that I thought, `You know what? We're in a little bit of trouble with this group,'" Auriemma said. "Then we lose the first Rutgers game and I'm like, `Something's not right here. This is not the reaction you're looking for.'

Today, for the first time in this team's history, last year and this year, I saw some things in the locker room that finally allows me and the coaching staff to believe, `You know what? By George, I think they got it.' ... The guys you know you are counting on next year, the way they looked and the way they reacted in the locker room was really, really, really good."

Same hyper-critical asshole, right? Yes it is, but it's another side, another context.

I don't agree with WHAT he said or did with Charde, and I said that even a few days ago. But I REALLY don't agree with everyone here jumping on him just for that article.

BBallFanCT729

PostPosted: 03/30/06 10:01 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

dtsnms wrote:
I don't agree with WHAT he said or did with Charde, and I said that even a few days ago. But I REALLY don't agree with everyone here jumping on him just for that article.

I do agree with you there. I understand Geno thinking what he did...but sometimes, I wish he wouldn't say some of the stuff. People from out of CT don't really realize how frustrating Charde has been. She obviously was successful in the lower ranks because she could score and she was allowed to travel before making her moves. She has had to learn "basketball"...screens, fakes, patience, rebounding, hustling, etc. She has come a long way...but there is much to be done. I hope she stays, because I think she can have a breakout year this year. She certainly has the talent.

As for questioning if you would allow your child to play for him: Hell yeah. Geno may be a hard ass, but once you are in the UConn family (and even if you're not in it...ask Linda Miles and Kia Wright), he will do his best to look out for you. He'll bust your behind, but he wants what is best for you. Has he fucked up with some of his comments and actions? Hell yeah. However, he is a good guy who cares an awful lot for his players and everyone associated with UConn.

njjosh

PostPosted: 03/30/06 10:20 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I think Geno is so frustrated at this point that he doesn't give a damn if his remarks run Charde off or not.

bullsky

PostPosted: 03/30/06 10:22 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I dont want to judge but, when people say she's been a huge disappointment I must agree. I thought she would be so much better and be the spark plug of that team. But I must ask myself, is Geno making things better? Maybe Charde has different ways of handling stress and maybe being called out in the media isn't something that is helping her. I can't imagine how stressful it must be to play for such a traditional program such as UCONN. And I just keep wondering if Geno is just bugging her more and more. She is a person, you know.

Also, the whole 'not showing emotion' thing is something that I hate as well. But I think theres a difference between giggling and just not crying. Maybe Charde likes to keep things inside. Maybe she doesnt wear her emotions on her sleeves. Geno plays mind games too much, and it isnt working anymore in a positive way.

PostPosted: 03/30/06 10:32 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I acknowledged in my first post that I am not aware of the relationship between Charde and Geno. How he deals with the press and how he deals with Charde are his and the University of Connecticut's issues.

That said, accountability is a funny thing in college athletics. Losses due to coaching, lack of talent, lack of execution, or sheer brilliance of the other team can all happen at any time. Regardless of the function producing a loss, I feel that the blame never, ever goes on one player in particular. A mere statement of, well Ann didn't impact the game the way we need her to or decision making past the first wave of Duke's defense was poor are much better than telling one specific player that you let the team down.

Charde was there, she took the shot, it was half down and popped out. Screw anyone who thinks Charde let them down. She did what she was supposed to do and the ball didn't go down. Screw the ball, not Charde. The hurt and pain that young lady must have been feeling by watching that ball rim out has to far excede any pain Geno had watching it.

My opinion is, lay off Charde. How dare you, to the whole world, put a huge loss on her like that.

On a different note, Connecticut played very well as a team in the NCAA tournament. Sometimes fate doesn't align you with the Final Four. Elite Eight is an awesome accomplishment with the talent out there these days even for Tennessee and UConn. Does that mean they have to be satisfied? No. But it does mean that the accomplishment needs to be recognized by people, even the coach.

There comes a point when, especially at the end of a season, that a coach/player/fan needs to have grace and appreciation for the growth and development that went on during the course of the entire season, and understand that it is incredibly difficult to win 6 games in a row. Even more difficult is beating a tremendous team like Georgia one night on a miracle shot by Turner then beating top-tier upper echelon Duke two nights later with Turner on the bench in the waning moments with the game not yet decided. The great part of the game was that in the end, UConn was there, with just as much chance as Duke to seal the deal. The ball fell for Duke once more than UConn, and you should just recognize the accomplishment for Duke does not detract from the accomplishment of the UConn players.

I have no qualms with winning, I've done much of it in my lifetime, but sometimes, the spirit of sport and the accomplishments that are achieved are overshadowed by one loss to another great team. And of course, there really is next year, it's not just a cliche. Maybe not for Nicole, Will, Barb, and Ann, but by God, Geno will have another day.

PostPosted: 03/30/06 10:34 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

On another side note, seeing the pictures of Ann crying post-game on ESPN are heartbreaking. To think that girl didn't put everything she had into that game would be a severely skewed version of reality. Duke did a great job on her defensively, and she still has things to learn about being a more complete offensive player. But again, thank her and let her move on with her life, don't throw one last "inspiring" jab at her on the way out the door...

PostPosted: 03/30/06 10:39 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Alepp03 wrote:
Charde was there, she took the shot, it was half down and popped out. Screw anyone who thinks Charde let them down. She did what she was supposed to do and the ball didn't go down. Screw the ball, not Charde. The hurt and pain that young lady must have been feeling by watching that ball rim out has to far excede any pain Geno had watching it.

Alepp, don't take this the wrong way, but that's exactly what I meant when I made my comments about people not in CT not understanding all the dynamics. It was clear, at least to me, and I'm sure the others that have followed all season, it was not THAT SHOT, he was specifically talking about. It was the 0 for 5, no visible impact on the game that he was talking about, and that shot was part of it.

Alepp03

PostPosted: 03/30/06 10:43 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Well, I get that, but I think the fact that she took that shot puts added onus on her. I just don't get why a kid doesn't get a break on the last game of the season. Talk to her about it in person later. If it were any other game, and you are saying, we need this player to step up next time or we are in trouble, that is one thing. But now, the season is over, if you want to run the player out of the program, by all means, belittle her, but if you are planning on keeping her, find a different way.

Or maybe Charde is loving this. Who knows. But I can't imagine appreciating his comments much.

PostPosted: 03/30/06 10:49 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Alepp03 wrote:
Charde was there, she took the shot, it was half down and popped out. Screw anyone who thinks Charde let them down.

I don't think it was the last shot he was talking about. It was her whole 0/5 with 2 TOs in 10 minutes that let her team down.

PostPosted: 03/30/06 10:54 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Maybe this summer Charde can be pissed off at Geno because of his remarks and work really really hard at her game that she may not be as good at. I mean she is going to have to get really creative in the big leagues because of her height. Just work hard.

I also think Strother and Turner are really going to have to work on their games to while playing in the WNBA. I just say try to use anything as motivation.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: