RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Pilight

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KatValeska

PostPosted: 03/04/05 2:04 pm    ::: Pilight Reply Reply with quote

You posted a story on the other board about recruiting. Someone asked if you would copy and paste it - I'll repeat that request. Can't stand going through registration processes for papers I may never read again.

And that link w/ the fake registrations - I've tried using it several times and have never had success. Just wasted time.

I really wish we'd all copy and paste stories that require the stupid registration. I am signed up on a few so I'll vow to do the same.

pilight

PostPosted: 03/04/05 2:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I don't cut and paste because...

1 It's illegal

2 It reduces the number of hits the story gets, thus making the subject of the story get less coverage in the future

3 I did so much actual cutting and pasting back in my zine publishing days that I can't stand the thought of it anymore

4 Sometimes the stories are too long to fit in one post (you may remember the epic of Angela Aycock becoming a nun that was cut and pasted over about a dozen posts on the ESPN board).

5 I'm lazy and bugmenot works fine for me Wink

PostPosted: 03/04/05 6:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

no. 2 is the reason we should all tolerate and encourage following the actual link to the page. if we don't give them a reason to up the coverage of the game - and send a message to advertisers - no one will. it's fairly painless to make a list of the websites that commonly produce the stories we read, then sit down during some halftimes and, little by little, set up your logons. you'll feel good about it when you're done because you'll have contributed to the cause.

PostPosted: 03/04/05 6:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Agreed. I use the same name and password for every one of these things. I use an address that sends the spam and junk mail to a garage in Buffalo.

sebibb wrote:
no. 2 is the reason we should all tolerate and encourage following the actual link to the page. if we don't give them a reason to up the coverage of the game - and send a message to advertisers - no one will. it's fairly painless to make a list of the websites that commonly produce the stories we read, then sit down during some halftimes and, little by little, set up your logons. you'll feel good about it when you're done because you'll have contributed to the cause.

PostPosted: 03/04/05 6:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Somebody asked pilight the same question about a year ago.
Until he mentioned it, I hadn't thought about the fact that they count how many hits the stories get.
I'll have to check out "bugmenot"

rebkell
Site Admin

PostPosted: 03/05/05 3:12 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Slovydal wrote:
Somebody asked pilight the same question about a year ago.
Until he mentioned it, I hadn't thought about the fact that they count how many hits the stories get.
I'll have to check out "bugmenot"

I started back when we were on the world crossing board signing up for a lot of online papers, with a common username and passord, but I drifted away from doing it, and didn't finish up, so the question is, if I started signing up on these papers with a common name and password, and have a common name and password for all these online papers. Would it benefit the members of this board, if I made the username/email password known to the members of this board or would it actually undermine the very thing you talked about, about the number of hits the stories get. Would me using the bugmenot email and another person doing the same, count as one hit or two?

Slovydal

PostPosted: 03/05/05 10:50 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I see your point. I think because the hits are coming from different places they'll add up even though it's the same name and password

Sort of how I can vote in a poll at home and at work.

Am I making any sense - let me get my coffee...

sambista

PostPosted: 03/05/05 12:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

i think it really depends on how the numbers are gathered by those sites in the first place, then crunched by the bean counters. reb can tell you that there are tons of ways the hits can be measured - by ip address, as slovy suggested, by username, by geographical region, by country, by time and date stamp, by operating system, by browser (and version) . . . it goes on and on. sometimes even names can be divined, even when there's no logon involved (that was kinda scary when i first saw it). generally, i'd say different usernames are best, but using a generic logon offered by reb or someone else is better than no effort at all to register the hits.

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: