RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Western Conference Players to the East
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
4ever_bball_fan

PostPosted: 03/03/05 5:54 pm    ::: Western Conference Players to the East Reply Reply with quote

With today's transaction, Charlotte has managed to sway three former Western Conference players over to the admittedly weaker Eastern Conference. First, Darling from Minny, then Sam from Seattle and now Smith from Sacto.

Of course, Houston has picked up Tari from NY, but will we see more Western Conference players moving over to the East and buffing things up over there?

Another thing Free Agency can do...

inky

PostPosted: 03/03/05 6:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I don't think of either Darling or Sam as Western Conference players. Sam will be playing her seventh season and Darling her fourth - or fifth, can't remember - in the WNBA this year. Last year was the first and only year as a member of a Western Conference team for either of them.

I don't think Sam had the focus or consistency to play well in a new division. Now that she's back in the familiar east, look for her to have a much better season.

therese_defarge

PostPosted: 03/03/05 6:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'm trying to work out why Minny gave Helen Darling to Charlotte (particularly since I am still waiting on confirmation that Christie Harrower is coming back).

I don't understand Sacramento's generosity with Tangela Smith either.

In the case of Sheri I'm laughing. Minnie swapped a player who was about to become a free agent for Nicole Ohlde who will be the dominant post in the WNBA for the next 5 years. Suck on that Storm.

PostPosted: 03/03/05 6:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

therese_defarge wrote:
Suck on that Storm.

Poor Storm and their championship.

Quote:
I'm trying to work out why Minny gave Helen Darling to Charlotte (particularly since I am still waiting on confirmation that Christie Harrower is coming back).

Maybe they know something we don't.
pilight

PostPosted: 03/03/05 6:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

inky wrote:
Sam will be playing her seventh season and Darling her fourth - or fifth, can't remember - in the WNBA this year. Last year was the first and only year as a member of a Western Conference team for either of them.

Except that Sam played for Minnesota in 2003.

PostPosted: 03/03/05 6:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The Storm also acquired Janelle Burse in that transaction. She is developing into a fine post player, and will ably take Vodichkova's place once she retires.

Or signs a contract with Phoenix.

Or unless Burse signs with another team.

I hate the offseason.

A team's got to cut its losses. Sheri Sam used very poor judgement during her time in Seattle and jeopardized not only her career, but the well-being of her team. She was a bad, bad thing for team chemistry - "train wreck" is the word I've heard used amongst staffers. There won't be as many distractions for her in Charlotte.

Suck on that, indeed.

inky

PostPosted: 03/03/05 6:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
inky wrote:
Sam will be playing her seventh season and Darling her fourth - or fifth, can't remember - in the WNBA this year. Last year was the first and only year as a member of a Western Conference team for either of them.

Except that Sam played for Minnesota in 2003.

My mistake. 3 out of 11 [or 12] seasons in the west between the two of them.

stever

PostPosted: 03/03/05 6:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Sam "jeopardized her career?"...care to elaborate?

inky

PostPosted: 03/03/05 6:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

stever wrote:
Sam "jeopardized her career?"...care to elaborate?

Nope. Absolutely not.

CamrnCrz1974

PostPosted: 03/03/05 6:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Quote:
Sheri Sam used very poor judgement during her time in Seattle and jeopardized not only her career, but the well-being of her team. She was a bad, bad thing for team chemistry - "train wreck" is the word I've heard used amongst staffers. There won't be as many distractions for her in Charlotte.

I can vouch for what Inky is saying. Ask Sam what she did in the month of August.

el_barrio_96_125

PostPosted: 03/03/05 7:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

That was stupid of her to just drop her obligations. But the FBC doesn't like Sam anyway. We really can't stand her as her stupid decisions are not uncommon. She's probably the only person who would be denied access to the FBC, besides Blaze.
CamrnCrz1974

PostPosted: 03/03/05 7:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Quote:
She's probably the only person who would be denied access to the FBC, besides Blaze.

What about Donaphin?

BCBG25

PostPosted: 03/03/05 7:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

CamrnCrz1974 wrote:
Quote:
She's probably the only person who would be denied access to the FBC, besides Blaze.

What about Donaphin?

Cam, we don't hate Donaphin. We hate the coach for playing her. Not her fault, really, but she sucks and is lazy. That's totally her fault.

PostPosted: 03/03/05 7:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

When Blaze and Bethany pry their lips from each other's a$$, Bethany can join the FBC. Until then, Bethany is just Camille Cooper with playing time and an annoying entourage in my eyes. I don't blame the ballerina, I blame the jacka$$ that signed her.
CamrnCrz1974

PostPosted: 03/03/05 8:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Quote:
I am done. Respond what you want. You are pissed about losing Tangela for Powell. We will see how she does there.

Speaking of, Camille is a student at Duke Law School.

Slovydal

PostPosted: 03/03/05 9:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

CamrnCrz1974 wrote:
Quote:
I am done. Respond what you want. You are pissed about losing Tangela for Powell. We will see how she does there.

Speaking of, Camille is a student at Duke Law School.

She was sitting in front of me at Duke vs Purdue @ Conseco - looking VERY nice!

The Blimp

PostPosted: 03/03/05 10:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

therese_defarge wrote:
In the case of Sheri I'm laughing. Minnie swapped a player who was about to become a free agent for Nicole Ohlde who will be the dominant post in the WNBA for the next 5 years. Suck on that Storm.

That is sooo cruel and offensive to us Storm fans, someone bring me a bucket to cry in - hold up, you'll just have to move that WNBA Championship trophy aside - there, that's better now rush in that bucket and watch me cry Crying or Very sad

Since I'm getting an education on the Aussie WNBA invasion, I'll pass on the tip that Harrower reported on her website (with a degree of certainty I might add) that she would be back. But will your team have the smarts to play her? I doubt it. Now to the fabulous Nicole Ohlde. If a three quarters fit LJ was able to whup her tail so convincingly the idea that Nicole will be the dominant post in the WNBA for the next 5 years is baloney. Against a fully fit Jackson Nicole would maybe last ooh five minutes tops.

Maybe you should go back to your knitting and head counting Madame Defarge and suck on a little truth.

therese_defarge

PostPosted: 03/04/05 12:26 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The Blimp wrote:
therese_defarge wrote:

That is sooo cruel and offensive to us Storm fans, someone bring me a bucket to cry in - hold up, you'll just have to move that WNBA Championship trophy aside - there, that's better now rush in that bucket and watch me cry Crying or Very sad

Since I'm getting an education on the Aussie WNBA invasion, I'll pass on the tip that Harrower reported on her website (with a degree of certainty I might add) that she would be back. But will your team have the smarts to play her? I doubt it. Now to the fabulous Nicole Ohlde. If a three quarters fit LJ was able to whup her tail so convincingly the idea that Nicole will be the dominant post in the WNBA for the next 5 years is baloney. Against a fully fit Jackson Nicole would maybe last ooh five minutes tops.

Maybe you should go back to your knitting and head counting Madame Defarge and suck on a little truth.

Thankyou for the information about Christie. You certainly got the drop on me there.

Please don't think I'm negative about Seattle. Au contraire, I hope your championship is a source of great consolation to you in the disappointing years ahead. All I'm saying is that I think Donovan lost her head when she was making that trade.

I won't argue with you about Nicole. Its so much more satisfying to sit back smugly and watch it happen.

PostPosted: 03/04/05 12:31 am    ::: dissin' Nicole &c. Reply Reply with quote

The Blimp wrote:
Harrower reported on her website (with a degree of certainty I might add) that she would be back. But will your team have the smarts to play her? I doubt it. Now to the fabulous Nicole Ohlde. If a three quarters fit LJ was able to whup her tail so convincingly the idea that Nicole will be the dominant post in the WNBA for the next 5 years is baloney. Against a fully fit Jackson Nicole would maybe last ooh five minutes tops.

I want to defend all the trade moves the Lynx have made this year and last.

No one really knows how good Nicole's going to be. I'm not as bullish on her as some people are, but comparing LJ now to Ohlde now may not tell you what things will look like in two years. I am sure that Nicole plays better when she's on the floor with Vanessa Hayden than when she's on the floor with Tamika Williams. And no, I am not claiming that Nicole's better than LJ, although in at least one of the teams' five meetings last year they basically played each other even. Seattle took Minnesota apart in the playoffs through superior play at the 1, 2, and 3. Tully flattened us.

Sheri made clear in 2003 that she didn't like living or playing in Minnesota. In return for a player who wanted out, and for one (Burse) who didn't look good in '03, the Lynx picked up two posts who may become great and were at the least an upgrade on all the posts the team had in the three years before, Burse and Williams definitely included. (Tamika Williams defenders, feel free to chime in.)

Very few people who saw Darling play at the Target Center last year are going to miss her offense. (I did like her defense.) A really good rookie point guard (one faster than Amber Jacobs) might become better than Darling by July.

If Kristi comes back to the Lynx (which isn't certain) and if she comes back healthy (which really isn't certain) I'd expect her to start. If she comes back to the Lynx but doesn't start, it may have to do with her foot operation, which she has also written about on her blog.

If Kristi goes elsewhere or doesn't come back healthy, AJ will get a lot of minutes in June, and we may see some interesting trades, but I don't think we'll regret letting Darling go.

CamrnCrz1974

PostPosted: 03/04/05 12:37 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Quote:
and for one (Burse) who didn't look good in '03,

Burse looked DAMN good in 2003. Her numbers were very good when she started in the second half of the season.

CamrnCrz1974

PostPosted: 03/04/05 12:53 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I should add that Burse helped me win WVGM in 2003! She and Anna DeForge were money for me in July and August.

Ask Admiral about Burse...I believe he picked her quite a bit in the second half of 2003.

accommodatingly

PostPosted: 03/04/05 1:18 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

CamrnCrz1974 wrote:
I should add that Burse helped me win WVGM in 2003! She and Anna DeForge were money for me in July and August.

Ask Admiral about Burse...I believe he picked her quite a bit in the second half of 2003.

We watched Burse play. She was a good shot-blocker, but I don't miss her.

Ohlde has slightly more blocks per game, more points per game (a lot more-- almost 12 vs. just over 7), more rebounds and more assists, though the Burse of 2003 does better in blocks, rebounds, and points per minute of play. Hayden has not many fewer points per game (just over 5), not many fewer rebounds (2.9 vs. 3.7) and slightly more blocks per game (1.00 vs Burse's .97) in slightly fewer minutes per game (12 vs Burse's 16).

I'm not saying Burse is bad, or bad for Seattle, and I'm certainly not trying to second-guess VGM champs!

I'm only saying SMS's decision to trade her is defensible, since The Blimp seemed to be saying it wasn't.

accommodatingly

PostPosted: 03/04/05 1:20 am    ::: but yeah, 'didn't look good' was too strong Reply Reply with quote

I should have said something like "didn't look indispensable."

CamrnCrz1974

PostPosted: 03/04/05 1:22 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Oh, the decision to trade her was fine...she was not indispensible...just disagreeing with what I thought your initial characterization of her was....

accommodatingly

PostPosted: 03/04/05 1:41 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

CamrnCrz1974 wrote:
Oh, the decision to trade her was fine...she was not indispensible...just disagreeing with what I thought your initial characterization of her was....

...because you knew more than I did, and I was, initially, wrong. (Lynx '03 post play was no fun to watch, but that doesn't mean Burse didn't put up fine numbers.) We welcome corrections here at accommodatingly HQ, and will strive to avoid mistakes in future.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: