RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Indiana State's at-large prospects

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
njjosh

PostPosted: 02/19/06 12:19 pm    ::: Indiana State's at-large prospects Reply Reply with quote

The Sycamore's 18-game winning streak was halted on Friday with a 76-46 blowout loss at Missouri State.

Even before that loss, I thought they were iffy for an at-large bid if they are upset in the conference tournament again (they have been the last three years as the #1 seed). I'm not sure they have a shot at one now. Their RPI is only so-so (33), their SOS is only 107th, and their only RPI top-50 win was back in November against Chattanooga. They appear to be in the same boat as Gonzaga last year - a great regular season record, but still needing to win the conference tournament.

Can you really see the Sycamores being taken over someone like TCU, Notre Dame, or Virginia that has a worse record but a top-20 SOS and more quality wins?

pilight

PostPosted: 02/19/06 1:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I could see them going over Virginia. The Cavs are 3-9 in the ACC and don't many good wins of their own. They also played a weak non-con schedule (9 of 13 were outside the top 100 in RPI).

I could see them over Notre Dame. The Irish are also under .500 in conference and have only two top 50 wins. They also have a loss outside the top 100 (at home no less), which Larry Bird State does not. ND needs to win 2 of their last 3 and/or make a deep run in the BEast tournament.

TCU is in better shape. The committee has given the MWC four bids before even without them finishing ahead of the B10 in CRPI. They have three top 50 wins and played a rugged non-con schedule.

PostPosted: 02/19/06 5:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

They're not as good as they were, other teams are finding ways to stay close. They got a close win today at Wichita St. against an improved Shocker team. 88-85 was the final score.

beknighted

PostPosted: 02/19/06 5:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

FWIW, the committee's magic number for getting in has seemed to be around RPI 35 the last several years. On the other hand, an Indiana State loss in the conference tournament probably drops them below 35.

GoChicamores

PostPosted: 02/20/06 12:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I would disagree with the statement that they aren't as good as they were.

They've had a few close games this year, and they've won them all...including that 2OT game at Drake last month. That's what good teams do.

ISU collapsed on Friday night at Missouri State, no doubt about it, but they haven't won there since 1988 and they were facing a team who was embarrassed by their loss at ISU (lowest total ever for them I think), and ready for bear (so to speak).

Could that game have been closer? Sure, but that doesn't happen when the coach benches the starters, which he did for pretty much the entire second half. I think they needed the loss, and that they will be a better team for it.

Sometimes, you have to look past the score to know just how good a team is. Of course, I'm biased.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: