RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Coaches poll out

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pilight

PostPosted: 02/14/06 2:59 pm    ::: Coaches poll out Reply Reply with quote

http://www.wbca.org/DICoachesPoll.asp

Duke #1

Oklahoma #9

Bowling Green in

St John's out

PostPosted: 02/14/06 3:00 pm    ::: Re: Coaches poll out Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
http://www.wbca.org/DICoachesPoll.asp

Duke #1

Oklahoma #9

Bowling Green in

St John's out

I may be dense, and one spot really doesn't matter, but what exactly did Oklahoma do to pass Purdue this week?

*edited*

dtsnms

PostPosted: 02/14/06 3:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Beat overrated Baylor on OU's home court.

What did Tennessee do to deserve not to fall?

How did UConn get beat by Rutgers and still be TWO spots ahead of them?

mikey87

PostPosted: 02/14/06 3:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

just like the REFS won the game against VANDY for the VOLS, I think they should have dropped a couple like any other team that lost a game.

PUmatty

PostPosted: 02/14/06 3:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

dtsnms wrote:

In overtime even.

I was just surprised since the poll tends to be a slave to moving people up and down strictly based on whether they win or lose. And Oklahoma didn't do anything this week to shock the voters into breaking that, as far as I could tell. Not like they doubled up the score of a team ranked in the Top 10 Rolling Eyes

IndyPurduefan

PostPosted: 02/14/06 3:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PUmatty wrote:
dtsnms wrote:

In overtime even.

I was just surprised since the poll tends to be a slave to moving people up and down strictly based on whether they win or lose. And Oklahoma didn't do anything this week to shock the voters into breaking that, as far as I could tell. Not like they doubled up the score of a team ranked in the Top 10 Rolling Eyes

matty, didn't OK move ahead of Purdue in the AP poll as well? Maybe playing IPFW hurts, but then again you dismantle the 11th ranked team that same week and it appears to not have helped!!! Go figure.

PostPosted: 02/14/06 3:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mikey87 wrote:
just like the REFS won the game against VANDY for the VOLS, I think they should have dropped a couple like any other team that lost a game.

I thought the Vols would drop one or two spots too, but technically LSU was supposed to win that game because they were ranked higher. So maybe the pollsters were looking at that. I think it was so much confusion at the top, they just didn't know where to put anyone. If Maryland would have won yesterday it would have really thrown things into disarray.

desafiada6

PostPosted: 02/14/06 4:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

IndyPurduefan wrote:
PUmatty wrote:
dtsnms wrote:

In overtime even.

matty, didn't OK move ahead of Purdue in the AP poll as well? Maybe playing IPFW hurts, but then again you dismantle the 11th ranked team that same week and it appears to not have helped!!! Go figure.

Oklahoma was ahead of Purdue last week in the AP poll too. Can't believe the Coaches poll, I know they didn't play their best against IPFW but like you said they dismantled Minnesota. Geeze!! Oh well...Purdue should just keep on winning...right through March and into April! Wink

PostPosted: 02/14/06 4:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

desafiada6 wrote:
IndyPurduefan wrote:
PUmatty wrote:
dtsnms wrote:

In overtime even.

Oklahoma was ahead of Purdue last week in the AP poll too. Can't believe the Coaches poll, I know they didn't play their best against IPFW but like you said they dismantled Minnesota. Geeze!! Oh well...Purdue should just keep on winning...right through March and into April! Wink

Yeah, that would pretty much take care of the polls!!!!!!! Razz

PostPosted: 02/14/06 5:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The Tennessee thing kind of makes you scratch your head. Yeah, it was against a higher-ranked team, but it's not like it was 2 v. 15, and it was at home. You'd normally figure that the Lady Vols would drop at least one spot. I'm also not sure I understand why Maryland jumps up 2 spots for beating UNC, but Rutgers doesn't move up at all for beating UConn. Maryland did have the advantage of the two teams ahead of it losing, I suppose, and perhaps some voters didn't want to punish Ohio State for not playing another top 10 team last week or didn't feel they could drop Tennessee and/or UConn more than they did. (Interestingly, Tennessee lost an average of about one spot per ballot, but stayed in 5th.)

Anyway, I've noticed that the coaches' poll tends to have a bit more inertia than the AP poll. It's like some coaches (or assistants or SIDs, whoever's actually voting) don't actually look at the scores every week. As I've said elsewhere, though, things did tighten up considerably, so at least some of them were paying attention.

mercfan3

PostPosted: 02/14/06 6:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

This poll makes more since, the only thing I would change would be Tenn and Uconn, I'd switch them..(Ten drops one spot, Uconn drops two)

Also, Rutgers should have gained a spot somehow.

PostPosted: 02/14/06 6:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

This poll makes more since, the only thing I would change would be Tenn and Uconn, I'd switch them..(Ten drops one spot, Uconn drops two)

Also, Rutgers should have gained a spot somehow.

PostPosted: 02/14/06 8:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'm obviously biased toward Oklahoma, but I'm not sure about the combination of Purdue getting jumped AND Minnesota only dropping to #16. I thought Minny had a horrible week and deserved to go down another few slots. But it seems that the voters still think a lot of Baylor, as they did not drop at all for the loss (not that they really deserved much of a knock).

I probably would have sent OU up, but kicked Minnesota down for their week. They really got pasted twice. 23 to MSU and 32 to Purdue? It may just be that the voters didn't think that Purdue's win over Minnesota said all that much. But if so, how does Minnesota only drop to #16?

Probably a fool's errand to look for consistency in these polls, but either Purdue goes up or Minnesota drops harder in my book.

ari20dal7

PostPosted: 02/14/06 8:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Also, I think the sweep over Baylor was what really spurred the coaches to reward OU for the unbeaten Big XII run. Not the feat it would have been in years past, but still an undeniably significant accomplishment to this point. The AP's been a week or two ahead on that, probably because of all the Courtney Paris coverage.

I agree that Baylor might be overrated, but not all that darn much. This team will be a factor in March and I wouldn't want them getting a 4-5 seed in my bracket.

swok34

PostPosted: 02/14/06 8:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ari20dal7 wrote:

I agree that Baylor might be overrated, but not all that darn much. This team will be a factor in March and I wouldn't want them getting a 4-5 seed in my bracket.

For some reason, they ALWAYS play OU well. A lot of coaches were able to see OU on national TV as well. Maybe that made a difference.

bballfan2005

PostPosted: 02/14/06 9:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Really? Coaches are still voting for Notre Dame and Texas? Wow. Laughing

Mathies to LA 2013
accommodatingly

PostPosted: 02/14/06 11:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'm not sure I would have voted for Minnesota at all this week, and I'm a Gopher fan, as some of you know. If they lose to Ohio State narrowly and beat Wisconsin, I'll have them back in at #23 or something. If they lose to Wisconsin at Wisconsin, they're out. (A loss to Wisconsin, Indiana or Northwestern-- the other remaining teams on the Gophers' schedule-- would also put them in bubble territory: with only one loss so far to an unranked team, I think as of now the Gophers are still in.)

Oklahoma and Purdue, at the moment, strike me as more Final Four material than either Tennessee or UConn. I'm tempted to say that I'd put them at 5 and 6. (Though there's also Rutgers.)

dukemayo

PostPosted: 02/15/06 1:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

At least 5 coaches had the good sense to give UNC their 1st-place votes. Those 28 1st-place votes for Duke (23) and UNC (5) should have been split something like 15-13 with UNC coming out ahead imo, and I'm a Duke fan. I just continue to see UNC as #1 until we beat them (and I was at UNC's loss to Maryland).

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: