RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Purdue - Minnesota
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
womens_hoops

PostPosted: 02/12/06 4:00 pm    ::: Purdue - Minnesota Reply Reply with quote

Gophs managing to keep it fairly close at half. Surprising that it's this close.

The perimeter mismatches are amazing. We have no one who can guard Traore at all. Seems like all of Purdue's guards are both taller and faster than any of our guards. This matchup feels like our matchup with Michigan State last year.

Purdue is putting lots of pressure on the ball, causing lots of turnovers. Also pressing a lot. Minnesota responded by having Lacey set a pick on Purdue's backup PG. Sent her to the ground, a la Williams-Latta and McCarville-Webb. So we may see some replay of last year on the message boards: Purdue saying Gophs are dirty, Gophs saying Boilers are whiners, etc.

Richard 77

PostPosted: 02/12/06 4:27 pm    ::: Re: Purdue - Minnesota Reply Reply with quote

Right now Minnesota should worry about playing. I see they haven't scored in 6 minutes...

Curious

PostPosted: 02/12/06 4:31 pm    ::: Re: Purdue - Minnesota Reply Reply with quote

womens_hoops wrote:
Gophs managing to keep it fairly close at half. Surprising that it's this close.

The perimeter mismatches are amazing. We have no one who can guard Traore at all. Seems like all of Purdue's guards are both taller and faster than any of our guards. This matchup feels like our matchup with Michigan State last year.

Purdue is putting lots of pressure on the ball, causing lots of turnovers. Also pressing a lot. Minnesota responded by having Lacey set a pick on Purdue's backup PG. Sent her to the ground, a la Williams-Latta and McCarville-Webb. So we may see some replay of last year on the message boards: Purdue saying Gophs are dirty, Gophs saying Boilers are whiners, etc.

More like we don't play anyone who could matchup with purdue.

It took a bit, but we finally came out flat and went down 20. Another splendid showing on the road.

pilight

PostPosted: 02/12/06 4:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Did the Gophers leave at halftime?

PostPosted: 02/12/06 4:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

hmmm... which coach do you think made better halftime adjustments?

Can anyone tell me why Fox isn't playing?

It took the Gophs eight and a half minutes to score in the second half. On top of it all, Broback goes out with an injury.

Is it possible that the Big Ten will only get 3 teams in the tournament this year?

Richard 77

PostPosted: 02/12/06 4:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
Did the Gophers leave at halftime?

I don't know. Maybe they're playing both of the managers?

Curious

PostPosted: 02/12/06 4:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

womens_hoops wrote:
hmmm... which coach do you think made better halftime adjustments?

Can anyone tell me why Fox isn't playing?

It took the Gophs eight and a half minutes to score in the second half. On top of it all, Broback goes out with an injury.

Is it possible that the Big Ten will only get 3 teams in the tournament this year?

As for why fox isn't playing. I'm mystified - just as I've been all season.

The Big 10 will get five teams for sure. The Gophers will be one of them. They'll have a hard time not winning three more games.

pilight

PostPosted: 02/12/06 4:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Curious wrote:
The Big 10 will get five teams for sure. The Gophers will be one of them. They'll have a hard time not winning three more games.

Five for sure? Who's the 5th? Iowa?

PostPosted: 02/12/06 5:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
Curious wrote:

Five for sure? Who's the 5th? Iowa?

Four, I meant for teams for sure. My fault, I was using my cartoon hand to count and translated it to my real hand and forgot to subtract - sorry.

pookie53

PostPosted: 02/12/06 5:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'm not surprised by these losses. Well I thought that we might actually come out and play in the second half instead of taking our time gift wrapping this win for Purdue. But Purdue definately gave us a butt kicking today. They are a really good team. Last year was their re-building year, and I think this year is kinda a rebuilding year for Minnesota. I thought we were ranked WAY too high at #10 I think we are probably more of a in the 18-20 range. At least Ohio State is at home so we probably won't lose that by 50. Maybe more like 25 hehe.

Too bad Broback got hurt though. We are going to need her in the Ohio St. game. But maybe she wasn't hurt as bad as it seemed. I would have pretended that I was hurt if I had to play in a game like that Smile. Good luck to Purdue for the remainder of the season. I like that team even though they killed us today.

womens_hoops

PostPosted: 02/12/06 5:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

stupid cartoon hand.

Minnesota has an RPI in the low to mid 30s right now. I don't know if it will go up or down after today. And then we have another presumptive loss next Thursday when OSU comes. That will likely leave us with an RPI in the 40s, which is bubble territory.

Even assuming we beat Wisconsin, Indiana, and Northwestern to close out, that will still leave us vulnerable.

We only have two wins over tournament-caliber teams this year: Stanford, and Michigan State. (Virginia is a borderline third.) Michigan State is our only win over a top-50 team in 2006. And getting our ass kicked by huge margins in big games like this looks bad.

Curious

PostPosted: 02/12/06 5:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

womens_hoops wrote:
stupid cartoon hand.

Minnesota has an RPI in the low to mid 30s right now. I don't know if it will go up or down after today. And then we have another presumptive loss next Thursday when OSU comes. That will likely leave us with an RPI in the 40s, which is bubble territory.

Even assuming we beat Wisconsin, Indiana, and Northwestern to close out, that will still leave us vulnerable.

We only have two wins over tournament-caliber teams this year: Stanford, and Michigan State. (Virginia is a borderline third.) Michigan State is our only win over a top-50 team in 2006. And getting our ass kicked by huge margins in big games like this looks bad.

I only see collegerpi.com with the gophers rated that low. Everywhere else is between 21-29. Do you like the collegerpi rating better?

MN will be rated in the top 20 (probably 17-1Cool come selection time. Unless the gophers drop a game or two beyond OSU (or if they beat OSU and lose an ugly game they shouldn't after that), I won't be sweating an NIT bid this year. Now whether the gophers win their first (and second) round game is a big question, though MN has been good on neutral courts this year.

Here's the kicker - I just don't think that the NCAA will only take 3 from the Big 10.

thatGAgirl

PostPosted: 02/12/06 5:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Is that a typo? Did Minnesota only score 31 points in the entire game? Shocked

- Diana Taurasi
pilight

PostPosted: 02/12/06 5:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

thatGAgirl wrote:

They scored only 10 in the second half.

PostPosted: 02/12/06 5:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
thatGAgirl wrote:

They scored only 10 in the second half.

Wow.

- Diana Taurasi
womens_hoops

PostPosted: 02/12/06 6:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

wow is right. it wasn't pretty.

PUmatty

PostPosted: 02/12/06 6:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Just got back from the game. I haven't ever seen anything like it. Minnesota scored one 3-pointer in the first almost 15 minutes of the second half. Purdue came out with serious defensive pressure, and before too long the Gophers flat-out quit. It was a truly pathetic display of character and heart. I wonder if Minnesota gave up for the season today.

Purdue put on a clinic. It was like everything was going their way. Four bench players got very good minutes and the whole bench played. I hear people accuse Kristy Curry of not being a good game coach, but the adjustments she made at halftime could not have been better.

There aren't many players in the country who can defend Aya Traore, and she is looking more and more like a high WNBA draft pick to me. Katie Gearlds played more aggressive in the second half -- she needs to do that consistently and this team will be very hard to beat.

On another note though ...

First off, let me say that I hope Jamie Broback's injury is nothing serious.

With that out of the way, someone needs to give that girl a nice quick in the ass. About halfway through the first half, Erin Lawless was laying on the ground (after Broback had knocked her there). Broback look down at her, and very deliberately pulled her foot back and tried to kick her. Erin spun out of the way of the foot, or it would have connected hard with her thigh. No refs saw, and I don't think many fans did, but my section had a clear view and was going crazy.

It was the most deliberately nasty move I have seen out of a WCBB player.

womens_hoops

PostPosted: 02/12/06 6:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PUmatty wrote:

as predicted...

womens_hoops

PostPosted: 02/12/06 6:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PUmatty wrote:
With that out of the way, someone needs to give that girl a nice quick in the ass. About halfway through the first half, Erin Lawless was laying on the ground (after Broback had knocked her there). Broback look down at her, and very deliberately pulled her foot back and tried to kick her. Erin spun out of the way of the foot, or it would have connected hard with her thigh. No refs saw, and I don't think many fans did, but my section had a clear view and was going crazy.

when about did this happen? At which end of the court? Are you talking about the play where Broback drove along the baseline and Lawless stepped into take the charge, then went down in the lane right under the basket?

Because, unless the whole thing happened off-camera, that was the only play in the first half where Broback knocked EL to the ground.

gopherfan

PostPosted: 02/12/06 6:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Quote:

Laughing Oh no, no, Broback wouldn't do such a thing like that besides I thought you would be more upset about the pick. Wink

Want your bad romance

http://www.elyricsworld.com/bad_romance_lyrics_lady_gaga.html
PUmatty

PostPosted: 02/12/06 7:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

womens_hoops wrote:

when about did this happen? At which end of the court? Are you talking about the play where Broback drove along the baseline and Lawless stepped into take the charge, then went down in the lane right under the basket?

Because, unless the whole thing happened off-camera, that was the only play in the first half where Broback knocked EL to the ground.

It must have happened off-camera. I didn't see the broadcast, so I don't know if it was on there or not. But seeing it in person, I definitely saw it. It was nasty.

And as for the picks, I have repeatedly supported the legality of those picks. It is the responsibility of the opposing team to call those out so they aren't blind. FWIW, Curry said the same thing in the post-game, saying they had gone over doing that in practice.

Curious

PostPosted: 02/12/06 7:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

womens_hoops wrote:
PUmatty wrote:

as predicted...

well thank goodness we have someone taking over for JMc's thug play... Rolling Eyes

PUmatty

PostPosted: 02/12/06 7:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Curious wrote:
womens_hoops wrote:
PUmatty wrote:

as predicted...

well thank goodness we have someone taking over for JMc's thug play... Rolling Eyes

So is deliberately kicking a player when they are down not a nasty thing to do? Is that something that Minnesota fans want their players doing? Because if it had been the other way around, I would be calling for Lawless to be bench the next game.

womens_hoops

PostPosted: 02/12/06 8:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PUmatty wrote:
It must have happened off-camera. I didn't see the broadcast, so I don't know if it was on there or not. But seeing it in person, I definitely saw it. It was nasty.

Can you at least tell me which end it happened at? Was it behind the play or something?

'Cause I went back and re-watched the whole first half (thank god you didn't say it happened in the second half!). And other than the play I described, there wasn't a play where Lawless went to the floor. And unless I missed it, there also wasn't a time when the two of them were both (a) on the court, and (b) off-camera. So I'm not sure how something could have happened off-camera.

So... I dunno... those two really don't like each other, and they've been throwing elbows for the last two years... so it wouldn't surprise me if something happened between them... but I'm still a little dubious that something like what you described happened today.

PUmatty

PostPosted: 02/12/06 8:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

womens_hoops wrote:
PUmatty wrote:

Can you at least tell me which end it happened at? Was it behind the play or something?

'Cause I went back and re-watched the whole first half (thank god you didn't say it happened in the second half!). And other than the play I described, there wasn't a play where Lawless went to the floor. And unless I missed it, there also wasn't a time when the two of them were both (a) on the court, and (b) off-camera. So I'm not sure how something could have happened off-camera.

So... I dunno... those two really don't like each other, and they've been throwing elbows for the last two years... so it wouldn't surprise me if something happened between them... but I'm still a little dubious that something like what you described happened today.

Well, I am not lying about it, and I checked with people around me to make sure I had seen right. I thought surely I hadn't. They saw the same thing.

It was at Minnesota's basket in the first half. They were - I think - just outside of the paint toward the side of the court away from the benches.

I may be incorrect that Broback and Lawless collided to send Lawless to the ground. I think that it was, but I didn't know I would need to commit it to memory until I saw what happened later.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: