RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Wiley-Gatewood: Lady Vols' loss is Terps' big gain
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
stever

PostPosted: 02/12/06 10:43 am    ::: Wiley-Gatewood: Lady Vols' loss is Terps' big gain Reply Reply with quote

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/college/basketball/bal-sp.wiley12feb12,0,5390356.story?track=rss

"It hurts," Wiley-Gatewood said about an hour before the Terps' victory over Georgia Tech on Jan. 26. "It hurts that people would say that I'm selfish. "Nobody knows what's going on. People will say what they want to say. I can't stop them from saying what they want to say, but I would like them to know that it hurt. They loved me when I was there, and I thought that they would have my back and love me when I left."

RedEqualsLuck

PostPosted: 02/12/06 11:04 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It's impressive - and sad - to see that she had no idea what kind of backlash there'd be.

PostPosted: 02/12/06 11:20 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

RedEqualsLuck wrote:
It's impressive - and sad - to see that she had no idea what kind of backlash there'd be.

IMO, the backlash is what is sad.

BBallFanCT729

PostPosted: 02/12/06 11:32 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PUmatty wrote:
RedEqualsLuck wrote:

Completely agree. She was attacked very harshly, and I don't think it was deserved.

I just hope that Sa'de is happy and successful at Maryland. She seems like a great individual, and I wish nothing but the best for her.

PUmatty

PostPosted: 02/12/06 11:50 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

BBallFanCT729 wrote:
PUmatty wrote:
RedEqualsLuck wrote:

Completely agree. She was attacked very harshly, and I don't think it was deserved.

I just hope that Sa'de is happy and successful at Maryland. She seems like a great individual, and I wish nothing but the best for her.

Given my feelings about Brenda Oldfield, I can't root for Wiley-Gatewood's team, but I hope she is the first All-American from a team that doesn't win a single game.

Grumps

PostPosted: 02/12/06 11:54 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

BBallFanCT729 wrote:
PUmatty wrote:
RedEqualsLuck wrote:

Backlash didn't start until after her parents started mouthing off...It would have probably been minimal if not for that...

I find it interesting that according to the article she was only interested in Md and Oklahoma...It said they were the only places she visited...Interesting Md spin without mentioning NC turned her down...

Grumps

BBallFanCT729

PostPosted: 02/12/06 12:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The backlash on the Summitt started almost immediately. The "she quit on the team" posts were pretty much an instant reaction. The quotes by her parents & herself only made it worse, even though the quotes by Sa'de weren't exactly printed with the right tone.

Str8_Butta

PostPosted: 02/12/06 12:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

That's my girl, and I miss her soooo much on the Lady Vols. I wish her the best of luck though with the Terps.

PostPosted: 02/12/06 1:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PUmatty wrote:

Given my feelings about Brenda Oldfield, I can't root for Wiley-Gatewood's team, but I hope she is the first All-American from a team that doesn't win a single game.

It's Brenda Frese, and as for the rest of your post, get over it already.

Joey Nations

PostPosted: 02/12/06 1:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Quote:
I find it interesting that according to the article she was only interested in Md and Oklahoma...It said they were the only places she visited...Interesting Md spin without mentioning NC turned her down...

How long are you going to harp on this UNC didn't want her story? It's funny that they scheduled a visit and made all the arrangements and then suddenly didn't want her? UNC wanted her, they just knew she was going to go Maryland hence why she never visited there.

http://www.terpswomenshoops.blogspot.com
CourtsideTix

PostPosted: 02/12/06 1:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Grumps wrote:

Grumps

That's what Hatchell said *after* SWG picked Md. None of us really knows if it's true.

PUmatty

PostPosted: 02/12/06 2:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

CourtsideTix wrote:
PUmatty wrote:

Brain fart. I had Frese and changed it to Oldfield.

As for the other part, bite me.

dwalkfan22

PostPosted: 02/12/06 3:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I know it hurt for people who once cheered her on to say that crap, but Sa'de needs to shake the haters off, and get ready to ball next December.

I love the Terps and the Vols, but the Terps are my #1. So I aint mad @ her for leavin UT. Very Happy

PostPosted: 02/12/06 4:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PUmatty wrote:
CourtsideTix wrote:
PUmatty wrote:

Brain fart. I had Frese and changed it to Oldfield.

As for the other part, bite me.

What are you, five years old or something?

BBallFanCT729

PostPosted: 02/12/06 4:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

So, now it's wrong for someone to express that they are not going to support a team known for shady recruiting tactics?

bballfan2005

PostPosted: 02/12/06 4:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

BBallFanCT729 wrote:
So, now it's wrong for someone to express that they are not going to support a team known for shady recruiting tactics?

Yes! You didn't get that memo? Wink

Mathies to LA 2013
CourtsideTix

PostPosted: 02/12/06 5:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

BBallFanCT729 wrote:

What in the world are you talking about? (PU's post was about his/her "feelings" about Brenda *Oldfield,* not Maryland.)

BTW, you might be interested in this recent Wash Times article about why Brenda Frese is such a successful recruiter.

http://www.washtimes.com/sports/20060209-121557-7121r.htm

Iluvacc

PostPosted: 02/12/06 5:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

BBallFanCT729 wrote:

It's so well known huh? Show me some recruiting violations or NCAA sanctions?

Alepp03

PostPosted: 02/12/06 7:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Okay, not to start anything, and if a PM is more appropriate that's fine, but I am really curious what Frese does that gets under people's skins. Thanks in advance.

PostPosted: 02/12/06 8:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Best of luck to SWG.

And kudos to The Freeze, the reigning velociraptor of recruiting.

Which is the primary reason she is talked down by a lot of CT, TN, UNC and Duke fans. No one has put forth any evidence of recruiting violations.

Literally days before SWG announced her decision to leave, there were serious posters on some boards pointing out SWG's unimpressive assist and shooting stats and questioning her hyped HS reputation. The TN tribalists attacked these posts with the customary venom.

The day after SWG's announcement, these very same tribalists were using these very same statistics to support their condemnations of SWG as the spawn of Satan. (Metaphorically and, unfortunately, literally.)

ucbart

PostPosted: 02/12/06 9:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

There is one particular poster on the Summitt who shoots her mouth off so much she makes a living doing it. She is the worst offender, and you all know who she is. She was very harsh in her blasts at SW-G. I feel bad for Sa'de. and I don't think she is selfish, she WANTS to pass and set people up. Tennessee's offense for four years is going ot be to give the ball to Candace, so why need a PG. The proof was at the end of the Kentucky game.

rebkell
Site Admin

PostPosted: 02/12/06 9:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:
Best of luck to SWG.

And kudos to The Freeze, the reigning velociraptor of recruiting.

Which is the primary reason she is talked down by a lot of CT, TN, UNC and Duke fans. No one has put forth any evidence of recruiting violations.

Literally days before SWG announced her decision to leave, there were serious posters on some boards pointing out SWG's unimpressive assist and shooting stats and questioning her hyped HS reputation. The TN tribalists attacked these posts with the customary venom.

The day after SWG's announcement, these very same tribalists were using these very same statistics to support their condemnations of SWG as the spawn of Satan. (Metaphorically and, unfortunately, literally.)

Well, let's be real, with the reasons she gave for leaving, she was starting, she had free rein to take shots, she was running the offense, etc... but she chose to complain about this and that, they pointed out she wasn't exactly setting the world on fire. Don't put it on the tribalists, she was pretty much bad mouthing Pat and the program when she left. She may not have meant it completely, but she is the one that was fueling the fire. Which by the way, why is the conversation taking place now, she's talking again about Tennessee fans.

Tennessee was very shallow at the guard pos, and then she up and quits in the middle of the season, which evidently no one expected, so don't hold it against the fans, she left, and if she expected all smiles and roses, she really needs to take a reality pill. If she had been sitting on the bench rotting away, there wouldn't have been much todo at all, but under the circumstances and the timing of it all, she was really living in fantasy land if she expected cordiality from UT fans.

rebkell
Site Admin

PostPosted: 02/12/06 9:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ucbart wrote:
There is one particular poster on the Summitt who shoots her mouth off so much she makes a living doing it. She is the worst offender, and you all know who she is. She was very harsh in her blasts at SW-G. I feel bad for Sa'de. and I don't think she is selfish, she WANTS to pass and set people up. Tennessee's offense for four years is going ot be to give the ball to Candace, so why need a PG. The proof was at the end of the Kentucky game.

You mean the shot Spencer missed?

bballjunkee212

PostPosted: 02/13/06 8:08 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Okay, so SWG is MD bound. But Toliver comes into the lineup and the Terps make a sound argument for #1 or top 5. By the time SWG can play, Toliver will be halfway through her sophomore year. Will SWG be able to crack the lineup?

PostPosted: 02/13/06 9:19 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

My guess is that SWG will start playing 10 or so minutes, then eventually work up to playing around 25 minutes off the bench through the end of next season. Then, her senior year she starts next to Toliver whose shot says, "YES, I can be a shooting guard."

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: