RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Why are the refs so conspicuous this year?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dtsnms

PostPosted: 02/27/05 1:05 pm    ::: Why are the refs so conspicuous this year? Reply Reply with quote

I don't want to say "bad" because one team's bad calls are another team's good ones, but watching the UConn-BC game last night, it was hard not to see the impact of the refs.

Now this isn't sour grapes, UConn probably would have lost that game anyway with the way they played, but the refs really seemed to let Ress be a bull in a china shop on offense, and BC seemed have an awful lot of leaning arms on "clean blocks", IMO, while UConn didn't get the same "breaks"; the block Strother had on Ress was one of the better defensive plays I've seen this season by UConn and was blown for a foul.

I've seen it all over, but I guess with UConn losing last night, it really frustrated me even more.

Gaucho Don

PostPosted: 02/27/05 1:09 pm    ::: Re: Why are the refs so conspicuous this year? Reply Reply with quote

I'm not sure, but they seem more obvious to me too... seems like there are more teams playing Thursday/Saturday (less Friday/Sunday?) this year than I remember last, that may be more of a drain on the referee pool since there are more games on the same day?

The Big West switched from Friday Sunday to Thursday Saturday last year, did any league switch this year?

Anyway the Big West refs definitely seem worse than last year... not so much in lopsided calls as in ability to control a game... UCSB has had a couple injuries this year that seem like they might have been avoided if the refs called the game consistently throughout and kept the physicality(?) of the game under control.

Slovydal

PostPosted: 02/27/05 1:10 pm    ::: Re: Why are the refs so conspicuous this year? Reply Reply with quote

I try not to complain about them, but last night The Pyramid almost rioted over the officials treatment of Long Beach.
Beach won anyway!
There just aren't enough good refs - yet.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: