RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Fire or Ice?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KatValeska

PostPosted: 01/30/06 2:59 am    ::: Fire or Ice? Reply Reply with quote

Just when I'd convinced myself that Lyndsey Medders was the best point guard in the nation, Ivory Latta plays a game like the one she did Monday night ...

Something that jumped out at me late in the game was the heart-on-her-sleeve demeanor of Latta contrasted by the stoic expressions of Mo Currie.

Not suggesting that one way of carrying oneself on the court is necessarily better than another, but I do wonder if teammates are more likely to feed off of the energy of the former than the latter?

I'm very curious as to others' thoughts on this matter and see where the discussion takes us.

What about players on your favorite team(s)? Is there an openly emotional leader, or a calm and cool leader, or both?

ari20dal7

PostPosted: 01/30/06 3:53 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'd say fire at home, ice on the road. I like emotional leadership, but there's a lot to be said for composure and brutal efficiency.

accommodatingly

PostPosted: 01/30/06 4:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ari20dal7 wrote:
I'd say fire at home, ice on the road. I like emotional leadership, but there's a lot to be said for composure and brutal efficiency.

The great teams have two floor leaders, one for emotion, one for levelheaded planning, or else a coach with fire and a floor leader with ice, or vice versa: Whalen and McCarville. Taurasi and Conlon. Maybe Yo and DeMya. Maybe Thibault (fire) and Whalen (ice). Maybe, if Stanford keeps improving, TV (ice) and Wiggins (fire). When Duke beat Tennessee Currie provided the ice, Harding the fire-- but Harding got intimidated (who wouldn't be?) by the superhuman athleticism of Latta.

O.G.

PostPosted: 01/30/06 5:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I don't know if I would say that Harding was intimidated. She did a good job of guarding Latta for much of the game. Harding's ball denial on Latta helped Duke build the early lead. Latta was just able to impose her will on the game toward the end, which is what great players do.

But I agree with your point that great teams have a combination of 'fire and ice.'

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: