RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Michigan State

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PUmatty

PostPosted: 01/29/06 5:39 pm    ::: Michigan State Reply Reply with quote

During today's Purdue game, the radio announcers said that there is some serious internal turmoil going on wiitgh Michigan State this year. Apparently after MSU got steamrolled at Purdue this week, their radio announcer told out radio announcer that he wasn't at all surprised and the team is about "this close" to implosion.

Anyone know anything?

stever

PostPosted: 01/29/06 6:10 pm    ::: Slumping MSU women decide to get back to basics. Reply Reply with quote

http://www.greenandwhite.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060129/GW0202/601290657/1027/gw0202

"With losses in four of their last six games, Michigan State women's basketball coach Joanne P. McCallie made a change on Friday.
None of her 15 players were allowed to talk to the media prior to No. 16 MSU's 2 p.m. game against Indiana today at Breslin Center."

...cutting off media access???...where there's smoke....

umbeta1455

PostPosted: 01/29/06 6:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I wonder if it's the same type of controversy that had people turn on McCallie when she was at Maine.

stever

PostPosted: 01/29/06 7:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

umbeta1455 wrote:
I wonder if it's the same type of controversy that had people turn on McCallie when she was at Maine.

...can you elaborate on that a little bit?

smenko

PostPosted: 01/29/06 8:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I have no idea Stever what happened at Maine, but at the game today McCallie was incredible--getting the crowd into it, getting the team into it, getting herself into it. It was an amazing feat to watch her will her team to a win.

umbeta1455

PostPosted: 01/29/06 9:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Not everybody turned on McCallie at Maine, but in 99' she took the maine team the year after Cindy Blodgett had graduated and finally got them a tournament win. The next year their was a lot of internal conflict with the team. Losing a lot of games they shouldn't have been losing because of her negativity. She was just being mean from what I hear from the players. I hear it was because she was pregnant and couldn't take her bipolar medications. I only heard that from one player who ended up later quitting the team. Another player on the team who I had class with said she made team chemistry awful. anyway, a lot of people could see what was goin on with the way she was acting at games and you could see it in the play. This team who demolished league play the year before barely beating the lower tier teams. I mean this coming from a team who very early in teh season took #2 Georgia to OT and than barely beating weak opponents. And people on the maine message boards started turning on her. Their is more to the story I am guessing, but she made it hard for her team.

She is a really good coach, but sometimes I wish she would play a little more man to man when it's necessary.

vanyogan

PostPosted: 01/29/06 9:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

umbeta1455 wrote:
Not everybody turned on McCallie at Maine, but in 99' she took the maine team the year after Cindy Blodgett had graduated and finally got them a tournament win. The next year their was a lot of internal conflict with the team. Losing a lot of games they shouldn't have been losing because of her negativity. She was just being mean from what I hear from the players. I hear it was because she was pregnant and couldn't take her bipolar medications. I only heard that from one player who ended up later quitting the team. Another player on the team who I had class with said she made team chemistry awful. anyway, a lot of people could see what was goin on with the way she was acting at games and you could see it in the play. This team who demolished league play the year before barely beating the lower tier teams. I mean this coming from a team who very early in teh season took #2 Georgia to OT and than barely beating weak opponents. And people on the maine message boards started turning on her. Their is more to the story I am guessing, but she made it hard for her team.

She is a really good coach, but sometimes I wish she would play a little more man to man when it's necessary.

I can't speak to the controversy, but it seems to me that she hasn't taken advantage of the final four in her recruiting. It doesn't help when you go on the record saying you hate recruiting,(she did). In that category I give Borton the edge...

PostPosted: 01/29/06 11:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Plus, Borton figured out how to soundly beat MSU's match-up zone and exposed all its weaknesses. (Curry should send her a dozen roses for that). Purdue used the exact same blue print and did the exact same thing a few weeks later. NO team is going to do very well if they don't adapt or do something to change when other teams know how to beat them.

Bottom line - IMHO Borton will keep the edge that Minnesota enjoys this year over MSU (as will Curry).

My summary column (from an extremely Purdue-centric perspective) on the MSU/Purdue game can be found at: http://oldgoldfreepress.com/columnist/Capri_Small/columns/162.shtml

umbeta1455

PostPosted: 01/29/06 11:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Capri wrote:
Plus, Borton figured out how to soundly beat MSU's match-up zone and exposed all its weaknesses. (Curry should send her a dozen roses for that). Purdue used the exact same blue print and did the exact same thing a few weeks later. NO team is going to do very well if they don't adapt or do something to change when other teams know how to beat them.

Bottom line - IMHO Borton will keep the edge that Minnesota enjoys this year over MSU (as will Curry).

My summary column (from an extremely Purdue-centric perspective) on the MSU/Purdue game can be found at: http://oldgoldfreepress.com/columnist/Capri_Small/columns/162.shtml

When it comes to a zone defense McCallie is one of the best coaches in the country to use it, but she doesnt' know how to coach any other defense. Everytime a team can beat it, she doesnt' change it at all. If she could learn how to be interchangable, she would be fine.

I think if Cindy Blodgett would have gone to a bigger college where she was recruited too, she would have actually learned how to play defense when it came to the WNBA. But she always played McCallie's zone and never worked on defense or foot speed.

accommodatingly

PostPosted: 01/30/06 1:02 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Interesting stuff about the matchup zone-- makes sense to me. But do MSU's struggles this year really surprise you? Except for my Gophers beating them (go Gophers!), and maybe the margin (not the result) at Purdue, MSU are doing exactly as well as I expect them to do after losing Haynie and Roehrig: they had six players last year of any importance, and two of the four most important graduated. McCallie simply doesn't have the people to win this year as they did last year. (I hear the MSU recruiting class for '07 is stellar-- true?)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: