RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Unofficial Tenn-Kentucky Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pilight

PostPosted: 01/26/06 9:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

gpark33 wrote:
pilight wrote:
It's a trick question.

They lost the last game of the 1998-99 season in the NCAA regional finals to Duke, then the first game of the 1999-00 season to Louisiana Tech.

Nice trick. So what about 2 games in a row in the same season?

Feb 22 and 24, 1997

78-83 to LSU
80-98 to Louisiana Tech

PostPosted: 01/26/06 10:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

What the hell????

I get home from the beatdown in Mackey (serious, serious beatdown) and Kentucky has beaten Tennessee? What is going on.

Anyone know the last time the LVs lost to an unranked opponent. I can't remember. Xavier in the tournament maybe?

Str8_Butta

PostPosted: 01/26/06 10:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad

PostPosted: 01/26/06 10:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PUmatty wrote:
What the hell????

I get home from the beatdown in Mackey (serious, serious beatdown) and Kentucky has beaten Tennessee? What is going on.

Anyone know the last time the LVs lost to an unranked opponent. I can't remember. Xavier in the tournament maybe?

Last loss to an unranked opponent was in 2001-02 versus LSU in the SEC tournament, IIRC.

It was KY's first win over Kentucky in 20 years (24 tries) and its first-ever over a #1 ranked team (0-for-15 previously).

Sorry pilight, couldn't resist. Wink

thesixthwoman

PostPosted: 01/26/06 10:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Did I miss a full moon or something?

You know, LSU is not exactly dominating Vandy right now...

could we see 2 upsets in one night? could LSU not be able to handle the opportunity to take over the #1 spot in the SEC?

stay tuned...

Keegan

PostPosted: 01/26/06 10:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PUmatty wrote:

I think they were ranked; they did have a #4 seed (though that might not have translated into a poll ranking)
HomerCecil

PostPosted: 01/26/06 10:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Xavier was ranked in the top 10 that season. They finished No. 9 and I believe they were No. 12 when they beat Tennessee.

OK, not one person on this board has given Kentucky any credit whatsoever... What gives?

As for UT, they need a point guard. Hornbuckle isn't cutting it as a point guard. UT missed a ton of threes, too. Parker should have taken every shot in the last five minutes.

memphis10

PostPosted: 01/26/06 10:48 pm    ::: I'll give 'um credit! Reply Reply with quote

Excellent win by the wildcats. Mickie is doing a great job with this team. Now if they can use this momentum to beat Georgia next them maybe just maybe they will get serious consideration from the top 25 but not just for beating TN (could be viewed as a fluke or just catching TN at a good time to beat after Duke.) But again great win by the wildcats. They made their free throws win it mattered most.

R.I.P Shara 1993-2009
R.I.P. Taylor Bradford
24duzitall

PostPosted: 01/26/06 10:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

i'll give them some credit. UK was great! hit their shots and played good d, got key boards. WANTED IT MORE. it wasn't a case of ut losing it-they got beat.
i went expecting my friends to be giving me a hard time cause i wore my kentucky blue and they had on their orange-and of course they'd win. hee hee i was offering to buy them a shirt on the way out.
i don't agree with the "parker should have done everything...blahblahblah" she is one person. she is good and very exciting to watch... but i'd be happy if she'd follow her shot on occasion and not try to do everything.
i can't decide if she makes everything look effortless or she isn't giving it all, she just doesn't have that intense all out go after anything relentless pursuit i would like to see -but like i said maybe it just looks that easy when she does it

PostPosted: 01/26/06 11:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

For the last 5 minutes maybe Tennesee should do what Oklahoma does and makes sure Parker is the focal point of the offense like Courtney Paris is.

24duzitall wrote:
i'll give them some credit. UK was great! hit their shots and played good d, got key boards. WANTED IT MORE. it wasn't a case of ut losing it-they got beat.
i went expecting my friends to be giving me a hard time cause i wore my kentucky blue and they had on their orange-and of course they'd win. hee hee i was offering to buy them a shirt on the way out.
i don't agree with the "parker should have done everything...blahblahblah" she is one person. she is good and very exciting to watch... but i'd be happy if she'd follow her shot on occasion and not try to do everything.
i can't decide if she makes everything look effortless or she isn't giving it all, she just doesn't have that intense all out go after anything relentless pursuit i would like to see -but like i said maybe it just looks that easy when she does it

Grumps

PostPosted: 01/26/06 11:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Good win by KY...Congrats to Mickie and her team...

Grumps

luvDhoops

PostPosted: 01/26/06 11:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

24duzitall wrote:

That's just how she plays. She looks like she's floating. She reminds me a lot of Augustus in that sense.

Sass

PostPosted: 01/26/06 11:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Weird ass situation. It doesn't surprise me that it happened with DeMoss and her team, though. Now we'll see if and when the Vols can use this for fuel for the next one, as they're famous for.

He's the greatest of the greater
get it straight - he's great
- Run-DMC
PUmatty

PostPosted: 01/27/06 12:02 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I believe up until this point Carolyn Peck was the only one of Summits former assistants to beat her as a head coach.

dtsnms

PostPosted: 01/27/06 9:20 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

What happened to Hornbuckle????? Shocked

0 for 6 from the floor, 1 for 2 from the line, 0 assists, 3 turnovers and 5 fouls!

Zolman and Spencer a combined 6 for 22 ????? Wow!

luvDhoops

PostPosted: 01/27/06 9:59 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

dtsnms wrote:
What happened to Hornbuckle????? Shocked

0 for 6 from the floor, 1 for 2 from the line, 0 assists, 3 turnovers and 5 fouls!

Zolman and Spencer a combined 6 for 22 ????? Wow!

Hornbuckle has a deep bruise they thought was a hairline fracture of her kneecap. She received it during the second half of the Duke game. She was not her usual self in the UK game.

HomerCecil

PostPosted: 01/27/06 10:26 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Obviously since I've only seen her play against Duke and UK, I don't have a full picture, but I was not at all impressed with Hornbuckle's decision making. She came down and took a completely out of control, wild shot very late in the second half that smacked off the backboard and didn't come anywhere close to the rim. She did this very early in the shot clock, without there having been one pass, and all while knowing UK had not been able to stop Parker. She seemed to be rattled by the pressure of a close game. Again, she's obviously wildly talented, but I just wasn't impressed with last night's performance, injury or not.

bballjunkee212

PostPosted: 01/27/06 10:57 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Here's ten ways to beat UT:

1. Take care of the ball in the backcourt so you don't give up a lot of easy pickins fast break points. Duke and KY did that.

2. UT doesn't communicate well on defense. Run a few rubs and somebody will get picked clean. Get the ball to that player. Duke and KY did that.

3. Zollman defends likes she's a slow 4'9". Match her with a player her own size or bigger- better if you can also make her guard a larger player- and she's neutralized. Duke and KY did that.

4. UT's whole team defends like they don't understand offense- they simply react to movement. If you see a UT player in a passing lane, or being let through a pick by a teammate, or giving weakside help, it's accidental. Be active on offense and UT's defense will break down. Duke and KY did that.

5. Parker defends like her stuff doesn't smell. When she was guarding KY's Jenny Pfeiffer on the perimeter, she sagged and Pfeiffer got an easy trey. A couple of possessions later, Parker didn't even pick Pfeiffer up, Pfeiffer took a shot and missed, but made three free throws because Parker slammed her trying to rush in to defend. Duke and KY exploited that.

6. UT runs a two pass offense. Generally, it's Hornbuckle/Zollman to Zollman/Hornbuckle to Parker. If Parker has a one-on-one, she'll try to score and is generally effective. If a second defender collapses on Parker, she'll likely try to score anyway- not so effectively- but if she can't get a shot, she's an inconsistent passer. She doesn't look for the dish when she draws the double team- she just tries to bull her way through it and passes out of desperation. Sometimes Parker manages a pass to Fluker and it looks like she's great, but it's just luck because does nothing to create it. Anosike could make a living putting back Parker's missed shots. Duke and KY exploited this.

7. Cross referencing 3 above, nothing bothers UT guards like pressure. Get in their faces at half court and stay there. Turnovers and fouls will result. Duke, (Zollman, Hornbuckle and Moss combined for 3 assists, 9 TOs, 3 fouls and 10 points), and KY, (the same trio combined for 4 assists, 5 TOs, 8 fouls and 10 points), did this.

8. UT's bench is only there for practice squad and to bide their time until they are starters. They don't do much as subs. Get production out of a couple of subs and you can sink UT. Duke (Waner and Black had 20 pts to UT's 9 bench pts; Foley chipped in another 8 pts) and KY (Mahoney's 12 points equaled the entire output of UT's bench; Pfeiffer kicked in 16 and Sara Elliott had 7 pts) accomplished this.

9. Sidney Spencer has a sweet jump shot, but she's gun shy. Get close to her once she has the ball and she'll jack the shot and hope a teammate can get the rebound. Duke didn't do this so much (Spencer was 4-8 FG and 3-4 3P) but KY did (Spencer was 3-10 FG, 1-6 3P).

10. Keep the game close. When the going gets tough, UT doesn't get tough. Instead, they start looking to their coach for approval and sympathy; keeping Pat molified is the most important goal for UT as a team. Put UT on the ropes and they will focus less on getting the job done and more on what's gonna happen to them after the game.

All, based on observation, but nevertheless MHO. Feel free to discuss or ignore.

PostPosted: 01/27/06 12:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ESPN.com has a poll right now that asks, "What is Tennessee's biggest problem right now?

A. Shanna Zolman's shooting woes
B. Alexis Hornbuckle's inconsistency
C. Too much pressure on Candace Parker
D. Overall defensive effort
E. Lack of depth

IndyPurduefan

PostPosted: 01/27/06 12:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

gopher5 wrote:
ESPN.com has a poll right now that asks, "What is Tennessee's biggest problem right now?

A. Shanna Zolman's shooting woes
B. Alexis Hornbuckle's inconsistency
C. Too much pressure on Candace Parker
D. Overall defensive effort
E. Lack of depth

If anyone says lack of depth I'm going to barf. Even if they only have a somewhat smaller bench than usual, it's not like those players can't play.

That's the exact same excuse used for the Duke men's team two years ago or so when Purdue beat them in the Alaska Shootout and I'm pretty certain Duke still had a good run in the tourney, due to the fact that the players they did have were outstanding players.

PostPosted: 01/27/06 2:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

bballjunkee212 wrote:
Here's ten ways to beat UT:...

5. Parker defends like her stuff doesn't smell. When she was guarding KY's Jenny Pfeiffer on the perimeter, she sagged and Pfeiffer got an easy trey. A couple of possessions later, Parker didn't even pick Pfeiffer up, Pfeiffer took a shot and missed, but made three free throws because Parker slammed her trying to rush in to defend. Duke and KY exploited that.

6. UT runs a two pass offense. Generally, it's Hornbuckle/Zollman to Zollman/Hornbuckle to Parker. If Parker has a one-on-one, she'll try to score and is generally effective. If a second defender collapses on Parker, she'll likely try to score anyway- not so effectively- but if she can't get a shot, she's an inconsistent passer. She doesn't look for the dish when she draws the double team- she just tries to bull her way through it and passes out of desperation. Sometimes Parker manages a pass to Fluker and it looks like she's great, but it's just luck because does nothing to create it. Anosike could make a living putting back Parker's missed shots. Duke and KY exploited this.

10. Keep the game close. When the going gets tough, UT doesn't get tough. Instead, they start looking to their coach for approval and sympathy; keeping Pat molified is the most important goal for UT as a team. Put UT on the ropes and they will focus less on getting the job done and more on what's gonna happen to them after the game.

All, based on observation, but nevertheless MHO. Feel free to discuss or ignore.

Five and six are just well, wrong. Parker is a bad perimeter defender not because she chooses not to be up in people's grill but because she isn't that quick laterally. If she guards too close she'll get taken to the hole by the smaller wing players. So, she sits back, too far back in many cases. She's not as fast as Anosike defensively so she doesn't want to get beaten off the dribble. She should just guard close and hope the weakside help is there. She doesn't make the best decisions on perimeter D honestly, but she's a freshman and will learn this hopefully.

Number six is just crazy and sounds like you've only watched Tenn. sparingly. CP is second or third in assists on this team. The last two games she hasn't gotten much help. Her teammates aren't even cutting to get into a position where she can dish the rock. Or, they're not scoring at all (Zolman). If anything the girl can be too unselfish at times. Spenser was struggling in the UK game and instead of passing it to her Candace just should have taken the shot herself. She may have gotten fouled and gone to the line. At the time she made the best decision she could. She had two or three players on her and Spenser was wide open, she just didn't hit it.

#10 is suspect too. Tenn. has been "on the ropes" several times this year already and pulled them all out except for last night (the Duke game was beyond the ropes). The Uconn, GA, ND, MD were all close games and I think I'm forgetting one other, that were won.

Ballwinner

PostPosted: 01/29/06 8:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PUmatty wrote:
I believe up until this point Carolyn Peck was the only one of Summits former assistants to beat her as a head coach.

Al Brown did it as an assistant. Anyone else?

PostPosted: 01/29/06 8:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ballwinner wrote:
PUmatty wrote:

Semeka Randall, sort of.

styxfan22

PostPosted: 01/29/06 8:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ballwinner wrote:
PUmatty wrote:

Does Semeka Randal (sp) count?

rebkell
Site Admin

PostPosted: 01/29/06 8:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

styxfan22 wrote:
Ballwinner wrote:
PUmatty wrote:

Does Semeka Randal (sp) count?

She wasn't ever an assistant coach at UT, I don't think.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: