RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Clay Kallam's Top 20 players at mid-season
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zakiwi

PostPosted: 01/25/06 6:37 pm    ::: Clay Kallam's Top 20 players at mid-season Reply Reply with quote

An interesting list, which gives props to some great players on non-famous teams.

http://fullcourt.scout.com/2/492152.html

pilight

PostPosted: 01/25/06 6:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Anyone surprised that there are no Purdue players on the list?

PostPosted: 01/25/06 6:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:

Not really. Purdue has been winning with defense, and none of the players are putting up the consistent numbers to be obvious choices for lists like this. An argument might be able to be made for considering Katie Gearlds or Aya Traore, but both have been erratic, even though Purdue keeps on winning.

And it would be admitting defeat, right Clay Wink

IndyPurduefan

PostPosted: 01/25/06 6:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:

At first I was a little ticked, but then I thought about how the Boilers have been winning this year, and there truly is no go-to player night in and night out. This year's version of Purdue is winning with team defense and usually a different high scorer every night that rotates amongst Erin Lawless, Katie Gearlds, Aya Traore and Lyndsay Wisdom-Hylton, so while I would like to have seen a Purdue name up there, I can certainly handle it if they keep up the team ball they've been playing.

PostPosted: 01/25/06 6:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PUmatty wrote:
pilight wrote:

Not really. Purdue has been winning with defense, and none of the players are putting up the consistent numbers to be obvious choices for lists like this. An argument might be able to be made for considering Katie Gearlds or Aya Traore, but both have been erratic, even though Purdue keeps on winning.

And it would be admitting defeat, right Clay Wink

Matty, you must have hit post right before I did.....great minds think alike!!!!!!!

PostPosted: 01/25/06 7:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Uconn is the other team not considered to have a top 20 player either. Strother is an honorable mention though.

CamrnCrz1974

PostPosted: 01/25/06 7:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

This was done before the Duke-Tennessee game. Wonder if Lindsey Harding's performance changes Clay's mind as to whether she deserves one of the others considered/honorable mention nods.

stever

PostPosted: 01/25/06 7:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'm intrigued by this Ambrosia Anderson kid at BYU...has anyone seen her this season?

CamrnCrz1974

PostPosted: 01/25/06 7:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The list is individual players. Team records may be a part of it, but individual performances is what Clay is referring to. Hence, the inclusion of Tamara James...

As for Harding, the list was created before Monday night's game. That being said...Harding could have been on the list or on the list of other players considered.

Here is a thought...when someone makes a comment that a certain player should have been included on the list, who should be taken off? That, to me, is the harder part.

ucbart

PostPosted: 01/25/06 7:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

CamrnCrz1974 wrote:
The list is individual players. Team records may be a part of it, but individual performances is what Clay is referring to. Hence, the inclusion of Tamara James...

As for Harding, the list was created before Monday night's game. That being said...Harding could have been on the list or on the list of other players considered.

Here is a thought...when someone makes a comment that a certain player should have been included on the list, who should be taken off? That, to me, is the harder part.

Ann Strother being left off this list for a player at BYU is ignorance. Our team was a mess last year, and the biggest improvement for us this year, is the stellar game of Ann Strother. She does everything for UCONN, just take a look at the Big East staistics.

CamrnCrz1974

PostPosted: 01/25/06 8:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Quote:
Ann Strother being left off this list for a player at BYU is ignorance.

Ann was listed as another player considered.

ucbart

PostPosted: 01/25/06 8:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

CamrnCrz1974 wrote:
Quote:
Ann Strother being left off this list for a player at BYU is ignorance.

Ann was listed as another player considered.

I know, but to me, she wasn't listed.

bullsky

PostPosted: 01/25/06 8:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Both Quigley and Rubino arent top 20 players, but they should definetly be seen as two of the most underrated players in the nation. Quigley is almost automatic from three point land.

PostPosted: 01/26/06 6:24 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Megan Duffy is "clearly the best PG in the country"?

I still don't see it. Most people don't want their PG to lead the team in FGA, and they certainly don't want that when she shoots under 40% from the floor. The only difference between her and Carolyn Kieger is that Duffy jacks up twice as many shots.

PostPosted: 01/26/06 9:04 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ann Strother being left off this list for a player at BYU is ignorance.[quote]

Singling out a player that you have never seen play and removing them from the list despite never seeing her play is ignorance defined...

mikey87

PostPosted: 01/26/06 4:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

the list is on point, Crying or Very sad but BAKER atleast deserved Honorable Mention

ucbart

PostPosted: 01/26/06 4:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mikey87 wrote:
the list is on point, Crying or Very sad but BAKER atleast deserved Honorable Mention

I want to know how many times the maker of this list has seen some of these players. Well, I have seen Jessica Dickson play, and I can tell you this right now, Ann Strother is better than her, and Ann is having a far better season than Megan Duffy.

Zakiwi

PostPosted: 01/26/06 5:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ucbart wrote:
Well, I have seen Jessica Dickson play, and I can tell you this right now, Ann Strother is better than her.

Hard to argue that a player not even in the top 50 in scoring is better than the player who's #1.

bballfan2005

PostPosted: 01/26/06 5:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
The only difference between her and Carolyn Kieger is that Duffy jacks up twice as many shots.

Doesn't Kieger average more assists per game than Duffy?

Mathies to LA 2013
ThreeBall25

PostPosted: 01/26/06 5:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Give me USF's SOS and UConn's. Then we will start talking. I think a comparison of scoring vs. ranked teams also. Then we can start talking. Plus, UConn shut down Dickson and Strother just out played her.

Keegan

PostPosted: 01/26/06 5:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ryan2528 wrote:
Plus, UConn shut down Dickson

Dickson isn't exactly surrounded by the same talent as Strother is.
pilight

PostPosted: 01/26/06 5:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

bballfan2005 wrote:
pilight wrote:
The only difference between her and Carolyn Kieger is that Duffy jacks up twice as many shots.

Doesn't Kieger average more assists per game than Duffy?

Yes, about three more per game with a better ATO. Duffy gets more steals.

PostPosted: 01/26/06 6:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
Megan Duffy is "clearly the best PG in the country"?

I still don't see it...

Me either. I just wish the Lynx could get a great/excellent/consistent point guard somehow. I'm starting to think that is the key for a turnaround. Is this just too simple? Cappie is seeming pretty good right now, but is she a true PG? I'm kinda hoping the Lynx will put a priorty on getting a great PG.

Seems like short of a calamity, Seimone is ours, definitely not complaining about having her Cool , but wishing more that we could have that (very possibly imaginary) fabulous point guard. I don't want to wait until the later picks to get the 'next best available' PG. But how? Question

All the possible trades for getting a great rookie PG or experienced PG befuddles me and boggles my simple mind. Here's a resolution-- make the other teams share their wealth! Yeah, right. But it seems like there are a few teams that are hoarding. However, the Lynx do have some $$$...

mikey87

PostPosted: 01/26/06 6:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ucbart wrote:
mikey87 wrote:

I want to know how many times the maker of this list has seen some of these players. Well, I have seen Jessica Dickson play, and I can tell you this right now, Ann Strother is better than her, and Ann is having a far better season than Megan Duffy.

I totally agree with you.

bbsamjj

PostPosted: 01/26/06 7:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

USF's SOS is #20-not the same thing as UConn's #5, but hardly anything to sniff at. You probably saw Dickson's worst game of the year against UConn. It would be like judging Strother on her perforamance against LSU. Dickson has put up really good numbers against really good teams (see below). I agree that Strother should be on the list, but your beef isn't with Dickson.

Dickson #'s vs. ranked teams (excluding UC):

UNC: 18pts, 10bds
DePaul: 35pts, 6bds
Mich St: 25pts, 5bds
LSU: 11pts, 7bds
RU: 37pts, 9bds

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: