RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

UCONN over S. Florida 77-47

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ucbart

PostPosted: 01/24/06 8:55 pm    ::: UCONN over S. Florida 77-47 Reply Reply with quote

Very nice win for the Huskies. BT showed her importance to the team with 16 & 7. Hunter and Houston were also very good with 11 & 10. Ann got a ton of rest and scored 9, as did Mel Thomas. Everyone played, and everyone contributed in this great defensive effort. Renee had 8 & 9 assists.

Jessica Dickson, the nations leading scorer, scored all of her 6 points in the first half.

ThreeBall25

PostPosted: 01/24/06 10:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Nicole Wolff did a great job shutting down Jessica Dickson. Does she get enough minutes to be considered Defensive Player of the Year in the Big East?

The BT Express was clicking on all cylinders tonight, and Hunter had an awesome first half. I was impressed with Montgomery's quickness and Ann, Charde and Mel all played well. Crockett also got some little things done in limited minutes. Good game for UConn.

Str8_Butta

PostPosted: 01/25/06 5:43 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ryan2528 wrote:
Nicole Wolff did a great job shutting down Jessica Dickson. Does she get enough minutes to be considered Defensive Player of the Year in the Big East?

The BT Express was clicking on all cylinders tonight, and Hunter had an awesome first half. I was impressed with Montgomery's quickness and Ann, Charde and Mel all played well. Crockett also got some little things done in limited minutes. Good game for UConn.

I don't get a chance to see UCONN play that much, what is it that Crockett does? Can she score, is she a good rebounder? I'm asking because I want to know if she could be a role player in the WNBA.

Last edited by Str8_Butta on 01/27/06 1:50 am; edited 1 time in total
ThreeBall25

PostPosted: 01/25/06 1:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

She rebounds and can score but doesn't shoot to often. She is also very good defensively at stepping in and taking charges.

CamrnCrz1974

PostPosted: 01/25/06 1:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Crockett was a top-15 player out of high school (and a great high school program in Narbonne), but she had some early injuries that hampered her. She had some great games in the NCAA Tournament. She definitely has potential; the questions are how quickly will she realize it, and will a WNBA GM wait on her to do so?

ThreeBall25

PostPosted: 01/25/06 4:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I think she has really struggled in the UConn program since day 1. She has shown flashes of greatness, but nothing sustained over a long period of time. Namely being big games in the NCAA Tourney and the game vs. Tennessee her frosh year. She could very well end up being a steal in the late second/early third round if a GM decides to take a chance with her. She still needs to develop, like Cam said, which may take some time.

RedEqualsLuck

PostPosted: 01/25/06 10:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

she has been described as emotionally fragile. Takes everything to heart. That, me thinks, is her biggest issue. If she can conquer that, she has a chance. Big girl, fierce on defense, quick feet and matches up well vs. other bigs. Scoring? That can be learned. Smile

PostPosted: 01/25/06 10:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

RedEqualsLuck wrote:
she has been described as emotionally fragile. Takes everything to heart. That, me thinks, is her biggest issue. If she can conquer that, she has a chance. Big girl, fierce on defense, quick feet and matches up well vs. other bigs. Scoring? That can be learned. Smile

She almost came to Purdue,, and that makes me wonder if she should have. Kristy and Geno are very different and Curry seems to be good massaging egos and fragile psyches. She's not easy, but she sort of mothers her players while she challenges them. I wonder if that approach would have made a difference for Wil.

Str8_Butta

PostPosted: 01/27/06 1:49 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Thanks for answering my question. Cool

PostPosted: 01/27/06 2:25 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I think she could make it on a WNBA roster, yes. It's so interesting how the influx of international talent/size is shaping the WNBA. We have discussions about a players like Strother/Turner, and while they're both such dynamic college players, I find it hard to believe at their size they'll be able to make it in the league for very long. But a player like Crockett, because of her size and strength, I can see making a bigger impact on a WNBA team in a couple of seasons than Strother. I'd love for AD to get to work with her for a couple years, but unfortunately the size of the WNBA rosters makes it hard to keep a player around for purely development purposes.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: