RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

tennessee @ duke
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pilight

PostPosted: 01/24/06 11:55 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

CamrnCrz1974 wrote:
Some of you underestimate what GMs think of Harding. She could go 4th in this year's draft...or as high as 2nd, depending on the type of offense the team runs.

She might well go higher coming out now than she would if she stayed in another year. There's not much likelihood of her going ahead of Latta and there's at least one promising big girl (Davenport) in the 2007 draft.

PostPosted: 01/24/06 12:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Preliminary question: Let's say the National Championship is being announced by Mark Jones and Anne Meyer. Do you watch?

Okay, enough about all the players and stats and prognostications about who should be #1 and who can beat who(m) and who goes when in the WNBA draft. Let's talk a little about the real star of the game: Gail Goestenkors!

Her team was thoroughly prepared. They understood their matchups and they were particularly effective in weak side help rotation. Granted, Parker was quicker than Williams when they matched one-on-one, but Parker is not great at the drive-draw-dish. So when Duke's defense collapsed, she was not smooth about passing out. Duke played great face defense on the guards, and this was particularly effective against Hornbuckle, who is not a play-making guard, and Zollman, who isn't going to shoot over anybody.

Towards the end of the first half, Duke got a little out of control offensively, trying to go for a flurry of fast breaks. But generally, they played a controlled offense which was effective at breaking down UT's defense. When UT collapsed in the paint, Duke shot over them. When UT spread, Duke went under them. When UT switched into mis-matches, Duke exploited it.

And all of that smart play in a pressure situation is due to coach G and her staff getting the players ready.

During the game, Gail was much more relaxed than I have seen her before. Her team was doing what she wanted overall, so she had a chance to be a teaching coach. It might have been different if the score was closer, but the preparation made the margin what it was.

A couple years ago, I said that Coach Goestenkors was headed for great things. This could be the season that we see the first of many for her.

Go Gail!

PostPosted: 01/24/06 12:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Oh by the way,

Congratulations to Duke!

I thought the game would be close and Tennessee would just squeak by with a win.

...but my predictions are usually wrong anyway.

peaceplease

PostPosted: 01/24/06 12:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

practice ought to be fun for the lady vols today.......... Shocked

PEACE
womens_hoops

PostPosted: 01/24/06 12:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

agreed that Gail and the whole Duke team looked more relaxed than they had in some previous big games. I don't mean to keep beating the same drum, but I really felt like Harding was key to that -- she was just so solid in every aspect of the game.

They are a damn good team.

MNfan22

PostPosted: 01/24/06 1:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

womens_hoops wrote:
agreed that Gail and the whole Duke team looked more relaxed than they had in some previous big games. ...

some gms, try the last few yrs, Laughing Gail used to look so uptight & stressed during gms in past yrs that it made me stressed watching Duke at times. Big props to Gail for adjusting & it shows in her team.

Love, love, love the defensive intensity of Duke. That takes trust in each other & understanding of what needs to be done. If they can keep that up ...

On Harding, I've been a fan of her's since her soph yr. If she came out this season I believe Harding would go very high, lottery pick high.

PostPosted: 01/24/06 6:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

New to the board, glad my friend turned me on to this. I will be in Boston and have tickets!

I noticed from earlier posts that there are several members who have women's BB memorbilia in thier offices! I'm glad to have company in that department. I have free reign at my office, but have to compromise with the partner at home.

24duzitall

PostPosted: 01/24/06 8:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

duke played great as a team with everyone involved. i have a lot of repect for gg and the duke program. i am a ut fan but there was no doubt in my mind EARLY on who was in control and who would win. ut looked out of sorts. duke put them there. to me ut has a real problem in the pg position. z is more of a 2 and while hornbuckle can create,she doesn't take control of the team or the game. pat changed defenses alot but i thought nicky stayed with mo pretty well. imo parker didn't play well. she made freshman mistakes and looked a little panicked at times. she did take williams to school a time or two. one on one williams can't handle her, but it was 5 on 5 so it doesn't matter. big girl can pass.

mark jones-"she can't dunk it sitting on the bench" what a jerk.if we all know that the dunk is just a small part of her game why doesn't he?

PostPosted: 01/24/06 9:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I had a front row seat for the [b]first #1 vs. #2 this week. Without question, Lindsey Harding is THE difference maker for Duke. Abby Waner is indeed a great freshman with future All-American potential and yes, Monique has even taken her game to yet another level, but LH is the key to Duke's success. Duke is a remarkable defensive TEAM at this point in the season, too. While the Lady Vols were forced to play a lot of one on one on the offensive end, Duke played together, one possession at a time. Duke's team defense, sustained by frequent substitions by Coach G, was simply remarkable. It will certainly be interesting to see how LH does against Ivory Latta (who can match her speed) this coming Sunday night. But even Pat can't 're-invent' the quickness she so desperately needs at the point guard position. The loss of SWG showed up last night guys, there is no denying that. The LV's can overcome that lack of quickness and ability to create at the point guard position against most opponents. However, one has to question how successful they will be against Duke and UNC.....who can match their talent level position to position and overwhelm them with the speed and quickness. Who knows maybe the defeat last night will 'propel' the LV's to play the kind of defense Duke played last night....the kind that can win a national championship. You can expect Tennessee to play defense with alot of heart the rest of the season. Pat said they will learn something from the loss last night. We won't know what they learned until they take on Duke or UNC again in the NCAA tournament. [/b]

Grumps

PostPosted: 01/25/06 12:30 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Possibly a costly game for the LV's...

Tn may be down to 8 players this Thursday when they play KY...Hornbuckle has a hairline fracture in her right kneecap and is day to day, and Fluker has pain and swelling in her left knee and is also day to day...Only time will tell...

Grumps

CamrnCrz1974

PostPosted: 01/25/06 12:41 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

You always hate to hear about injuries. Hopefully Hornbuckle and Fluker get well soon...

rep_ur_city

PostPosted: 01/25/06 3:16 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Lindsey Harding is a star. I'm just impressed with her defense, poise and ability to know when to pass the ball and who to pass it too. Those are things you learn and pick up on and she's picked up on them quite well. The natural abilities-quickness was impressive. Not only did she pressure Tennessee to turnovers but she out ran them to a couple of looseballs. She was great. I'd take her over any PG. Duke just wore Tennessee down with their depth, defense and poise. Shanna Zolman didn't help herself out there. She did Duke a favor by playing into their hands. It's not like she put pressure on the D. She just settled for jumpers, long ones at that. Impressive win for Duke.

We like being swept under the carpet because all the dirt comes out in the end-Rasheed Wallace aka Sheeeed!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5

Jump to: