RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

LSU-UConn
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
styxfan22

PostPosted: 01/16/06 7:40 pm    ::: LSU-UConn Reply Reply with quote

Mark Jones must go!

gpark33

PostPosted: 01/16/06 7:43 pm    ::: Re: LSU-UConn Reply Reply with quote

styxfan22 wrote:
Mark Jones must go!

You mean you didn't like the "defense is like deodorant. it helps cover up things that stink" remark. Where the hell did he get that??? Horrible...

styxfan22

PostPosted: 01/16/06 7:49 pm    ::: Re: LSU-UConn Reply Reply with quote

gpark33 wrote:
styxfan22 wrote:
Mark Jones must go!

You mean you didn't like the "defense is like deodorant. it helps cover up things that stink" remark. Where the hell did he get that??? Horrible...

Plus, LSU lost Temeka "Jackson."

bballfan2005

PostPosted: 01/16/06 7:50 pm    ::: Re: LSU-UConn Reply Reply with quote

styxfan22 wrote:

Is she part of the Jackson 5 or no?

Mathies to LA 2013
CamrnCrz1974

PostPosted: 01/16/06 7:51 pm    ::: Re: LSU-UConn Reply Reply with quote

bballfan2005 wrote:
styxfan22 wrote:

Is she part of the Jackson 5 or no?

Yes...along with Stonewall Jackson.

sambista

PostPosted: 01/16/06 7:52 pm    ::: Re: LSU-UConn Reply Reply with quote

gpark33 wrote:
styxfan22 wrote:
Mark Jones must go!

what's worse, we could hear him chuckling over his own line.

pssst! mark . . . entertain yourself on your own time, guy.

PostPosted: 01/16/06 8:38 pm    ::: Re: LSU-UConn Reply Reply with quote

styxfan22 wrote:
Mark Jones must go!

This game is atrocious. No one is even setting up for shots....they're just throwing crap up there. These don't look like two top ten teams that's for sure. Just downright ugly.

PostPosted: 01/16/06 8:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

nasty game but exciting finish. congrats to uconn!

mikey87

PostPosted: 01/16/06 8:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I am so happy for UCONN, I never thought they could shut down FOWLES but they did , and AUGUSTUS could never get going tonight but she's still awesome

O.G.

PostPosted: 01/16/06 9:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Big win for UConn. Looks like they've grown a lot from their losses. They were definitely the aggressor in the first half as they built the big lead. They stopped Augustus and Fowles, and LSU lacks other weapons. Even without Strother scoring, LSU could not stop Charde Houston in the first half. Bottom line: UConn played harder from jump, especially on defense. LSU has to find an answer when tough defensive teams try to shut down their 2 stars.

icey23

PostPosted: 01/16/06 9:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

LSU looked so lazy. We will learn from this game.

PostPosted: 01/16/06 9:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I think they will bounce back, but they can not afford to play like thatagainst BAYLOR, My DAWGS, VOLS and the other great competiton they will face, they need someone else to step up when FOWLES and AUGUSTUS are not having good games

Last edited by mikey87 on 01/16/06 9:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
Slovydal

PostPosted: 01/16/06 9:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'm not surprised.

From what I saw in Knoxville, UConn looked like they could be back in the Final Four this year.

Congratulations to the Huskies fans!

(especially you)

; )

O.G.

PostPosted: 01/16/06 9:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

icey23 wrote:

I think Pokey's a great coach. I loved her composure which helped LSU's comeback attempt. She'll make sure the team learns from this.

icey23

PostPosted: 01/16/06 9:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

O.G. wrote:
icey23 wrote:

I think Pokey's a great coach. I loved her composure which helped LSU's comeback attempt. She'll make sure the team learns from this.

Yep. Does Chaney remind yall of Mawdi not Thug Mawdi but just Mawdi, she likes to jack up shots and rush things?

PostPosted: 01/16/06 10:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It concerns me that Uconn STILL has such problems breaking a press though. Dating back to the North Carolina game they lost last year, they haven't been able to consistantly and successfully handle it when other teams go full-court on them. That will definitely be their undoing come tournament time.

mercfan3

PostPosted: 01/16/06 11:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

threefrom60 wrote:
It concerns me that Uconn STILL has such problems breaking a press though. Dating back to the North Carolina game they lost last year, they haven't been able to consistantly and successfully handle it when other teams go full-court on them. That will definitely be their undoing come tournament time.

They handle it pretty well...when Strother and Turner don't touch the ball..

Mel, Charde, Ketia and Renee all managed to not turn the ball over when they were pressed..

Strother likes to pass to the other team...Turner likes to run around with the ball, pretending like she is a guard...this usually isn't good. (And don't even blame the foot..I've seen this happen more than once..)

I like Annie and BT an awful lot..Annie has certainly stepped it up this season. She's a great leader, and has shown she is an all American..but neither player plays well under pressure (except against Tennessee)...literally or figuratively speaking..(See Ann's all around great game at Tenn...but with two minutes to go..Ann gets two shots at wide open threes to take the lead..she misses them both...than possibly gets another shot..but turns the ball over..nothing new..)

PostPosted: 01/16/06 11:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Strother shot 1-10 from the field tonight, 4 rebs., 5 asst. and 3 TOs.

bballfan2005

PostPosted: 01/17/06 12:48 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

styxfan22 wrote:
Strother shot 1-10 from the field tonight, 4 rebs., 5 asst. and 3 TOs.

If she played every game like the Tennessee game, she'd be a strong POY candidate.

Mathies to LA 2013
Str8_Butta

PostPosted: 01/17/06 4:43 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

A very ugly game, but Congratulations to UCONN. I was really looking forward to seeing the stars of both teams shine, at least Charde didn't disappoint me. Cool

PostPosted: 01/17/06 8:27 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

You all forgot to thank the officials for not calling the big shove under the basket that sent Fowles flying out of bounds. Evil or Very Mad

-Tamika Catchings
womens_hoops

PostPosted: 01/17/06 9:20 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ILuvCatch wrote:
You all forgot to thank the officials for not calling the big shove under the basket that sent Fowles flying out of bounds.

yeah, that was a tough no-call. Would have liked to have seen a replay. Also wanted to see a replay of the play at the end when Fowles ran down and blocked or fouled Houston under the hoop.

dtsnms

PostPosted: 01/17/06 9:23 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

womens_hoops wrote:
ILuvCatch wrote:
You all forgot to thank the officials for not calling the big shove under the basket that sent Fowles flying out of bounds.

yeah, that was a tough no-call. Would have liked to have seen a replay. Also wanted to see a replay of the play at the end when Fowles ran down and blocked or fouled Houston under the hoop.

How does a major network NOT SHOW a reply of that block? It looked clean to me. The Fowles underneath, didn't bother me, that's "last minute officiating". The block though......

bballjunkee212

PostPosted: 01/17/06 9:49 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Interesting game. LSU actually outshot UConn from the field and the line and still lost. Rebounds were about even, as were TOs- and there weren't that many of them. Fouls were also even, and not that many. Overall, fairly even stats, as one might expect from a three point game.

But two stats stand out: First, Houston's 22/14 double-double outdid Fowles's 12/15 double-double. Second, UConn really limited LSU's offensive rebounds- LSU not only missed shots, but they had more one-'n-dones than UConn (Fowles had just 2 ORs). I think this exposed an LSU weakness: Fowles is a great player, but after her, LSU's talent in the low post drops sharply.

As a rule of thumb, I like to think of home court advantage as being worth 8 points. By that reckoning, LSU outdid UConn by 5. But this time, I'm not so sure. I think the reason for the bad shooting was the defense from both teams. Both sets of guards faced pressure; a lot of shots were altered, or taken with hands in the face; or jacked up to beat the shot clock.

So I'm not sure that the game would have been much different on a neutral court. We could speculate about a game where Augustus and Fowles were "on," but in that speculation, we should also factor in Strother when she's "on." But I think with the defense both these teams play, the shooters would struggle anywhere.

I think LSU will struggle against UT because UT has more weight in the paint- hey, I think I just coined a phrase to indicate a team that has greater depth in the front line/low post: "Weight in the paint." Think I should e-mail it to Dickie V? Anyway, I think UT may be able to do the same kind of things against LSU- affect the shooters and win the rebounding battle.

PostPosted: 01/17/06 10:59 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

bballjunkee212 wrote:
II think this exposed an LSU weakness: Fowles is a great player, but after her, LSU's talent in the low post drops sharply.

yep, exactly right. The last eight minutes of the first half -- when Fowles was on the bench -- were crucial. LSU couldn't rebound, couldn't defend the paint, and couldn't score in the paint. I think with Fowles on the floor, LSU won by about 7. With her on they bench, LSU lost by about 10.

I totally agree with DTS too about the replay -- really unforgiveable for ESPN not to show us again that block/foul. I had TIVO so I watched it repeatedly -- and it looked clean, but it wasn't a great angle. They must have had another won. They had plenty of time with Charde at the line to show us something. That's shoddy production work.

I think Seimone did have an off night... but I gotta give Geno credit for the defensive plan. That's really what won the game. They doubled (or tripled) Augustus just about every time she got the ball, no matter where on the floor. They collapsed in the paint on Fowles or anyone else.

LSU isn't a great passing team, and isn't a great outside shooting team. Geno said: you have to beat us by passing out of doubles and by shooting over the top. LSU couldn't.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: