RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

BIG3 league offers Caitlin Clark $5 million
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
tfan

PostPosted: 03/27/24 7:44 pm    ::: BIG3 league offers Caitlin Clark $5 million Reply Reply with quote

Caitlin Clark BIG3 offer, explained: Why Ice Cube extended $5 million overture to Iowa star

boogiezen

PostPosted: 03/28/24 7:24 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ice Cube's publicity stunt. Lol.

"Kim Yu-Na. A living, breathing work of art from Korea" - Cam Cole, Vancouver Sun
pilight

PostPosted: 03/28/24 7:28 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I hope she won't skip W games to play gimmick-ball

PostPosted: 03/28/24 7:49 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

For an extra 4.9 million I'd play clown ball. But Clark's endorsement money would probably be higher from playing in the WNBA.

johnjohnW

PostPosted: 03/28/24 8:44 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I agree this is just a publicity stunt by Ice Cube. Kind of a brilliant one because he wins either way. If she plays, he gets viewers and if she doesn’t, he still gets the league name out there.

The at being said, it would be extremely short sighted for her to do so. 5 mil up front is nice but she’d likely being doing irreparable damage to her W longevity and income potential throughout the life of her career.

ClayK

PostPosted: 03/28/24 9:16 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It would be a huge mistake for Clark and the women's game were she to play.

She would get destroyed in that league -- there are some serious players there and there's no way she could compete. It would be horrible for the women's game, as it would validate every troll who says the "girls aren't good enough."

PostPosted: 03/28/24 9:40 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:
It would be horrible for the women's game, as it would validate every troll who says the "girls aren't good enough."

How does one separate the trolls who say the girls aren't good enough from the sincere people who say the girls aren't good enough?

PostPosted: 03/28/24 11:10 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Luuuc wrote:
ClayK wrote:
It would be horrible for the women's game, as it would validate every troll who says the "girls aren't good enough."

How does one separate the trolls who say the girls aren't good enough from the sincere people who say the girls aren't good enough?

By noting the ones who respect basketball players at all levels, as opposed to those who are more interested in a misogynistic agenda to deny female athletes their just due.

The Big3 guys would get destroyed in the NBA. The best college team would struggle to stay within 30 of the worst NBA team. But the trolls don't call that out.

PostPosted: 03/28/24 6:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Luuuc wrote:
ClayK wrote:

How do you usually tell around here? Body of work. Don't you find it pretty easy to look at someone's posting history on rebkell and tell the difference between whether they're being sincere or being a dick? Because it's pretty easy, to me.

My team no longer exists, so I'll have to settle for hating yours.
tfan

PostPosted: 03/28/24 6:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Probably is better for publicity ("What's the BIG3?") with her declining than getting more than $5 million in revenue if she accepts. Although if she only played one season they could make up the $5 million over multiple years from increased exposure and interest from the year she played.

johnjohnW wrote:

That being said, it would be extremely short sighted for her to do so. 5 mil up front is nice but she’d likely being doing irreparable damage to her W longevity and income potential throughout the life of her career.

Shouldn't hurt longevity as it appears they only play a 10 game (half court) season plus playoffs.

I agree it would likely hurt her income potential as I agree with ClayK that she probably wouldn't perform well, at least with regard to a "highest scorer of all time" level. Which would dull her luster. It is a 3 on 3 half court game which would remove those fast break threes she takes, sometimes from the logo. And the league started out requiring 30+ age players, then went to 27+ and now is at 21+. But if she was on a good ball screen team maybe she could consistently hit threes as she does have a quick release. But there is also the defensive side of it where she would be guarding stronger, taller and quicker players.

shontay33

PostPosted: 03/28/24 10:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:

She would get destroyed in that league -- there are some serious players there and there's no way she could compete. It would be horrible for the women's game, as it would validate every troll who says the "girls aren't good enough."

I agree that she would defiantly struggle in that league. 3 on 3 with former NBA players. They play very very physical. Although they would respect Catlin as a fellow ball player, I don't see them taking it easy on her.

shontay33

PostPosted: 03/28/24 10:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

boogiezen wrote:
Ice Cube's publicity stunt. Lol.

Exactly. This makes me wonder if his league is not doing well financially. I have watched the Big 3 and have enjoyed it. Not everyone likes 3 on 3 basketball which could be why it isn't getting the steam it used to getting.

Ice Cube is good at using gimmicks to garner attention. I just hate how he made it seem as if Nancy Liberman was an unknown and had never coached before. She had been coaching men's basketball for years. I guess he didn't do his research.

Luuuc
#NATC

PostPosted: 03/28/24 11:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:
Luuuc wrote:
ClayK wrote:

By noting the ones who respect basketball players at all levels, as opposed to those who are more interested in a misogynistic agenda to deny female athletes their just due.

The Big3 guys would get destroyed in the NBA. The best college team would struggle to stay within 30 of the worst NBA team. But the trolls don't call that out.

Maybe an incomplete question on my part.
I'm still not seeing how the trolls fit into the decision-making process on this.
People with a misogynistic agenda are going to be around, talking their talk, regardless.

Do we limit opportunities for women out of fear of being trolled? Wouldn't that be self-defeating?
I'm thankful that approach did not win out when the creation of the WNBA was being debated.

From what I can see, the BIG3 league appears to run from mid-June to mid-August, which means a clash with both the WNBA season and the Olympics.
That alone makes it a dubious offer for someone who is a #1 draft pick and Olympic squad member, and further erodes the already-questionable premise that "America’s women athletes should not be forced to spend their off seasons playing in often dismal and dubious foreign countries just to make ends meet", since it's very much not the off-season for Clark.

$5mil for 10 games ("eight regular season games and two playoff games" according to the article) is a lot to turn down though.
I get that for CC there would be some lost opportunity cost to be evaluated against that lump sum, so it's not a no-brainer. But I wouldn't blame anyone for taking the money and running, and certainly would not accuse them of selling out their whole gender/sport if they did so. Unfortunately there would be very few female ballers who have earned that amount in an entire career.

tl;dr - fuck what the trolls say/think

PostPosted: 03/28/24 11:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Luuuc wrote:
ClayK wrote:
Luuuc wrote:
ClayK wrote:

Maybe an incomplete question on my part.
I'm still not seeing how the trolls fit into the decision-making process on this.
People with a misogynistic agenda are going to be around, talking their talk, regardless.

Do we limit opportunities for women out of fear of being trolled? Wouldn't that be self-defeating?
I'm thankful that approach did not win out when the creation of the WNBA was being debated.

From what I can see, the BIG3 league appears to run from mid-June to mid-August, which means a clash with both the WNBA season and the Olympics.
That alone makes it a dubious offer for someone who is a #1 draft pick and Olympic squad member, and further erodes the already-questionable premise that "America’s women athletes should not be forced to spend their off seasons playing in often dismal and dubious foreign countries just to make ends meet", since it's very much not the off-season for Clark.

$5mil for 10 games ("eight regular season games and two playoff games" according to the article) is a lot to turn down though.
I get that for CC there would be some lost opportunity cost to be evaluated against that lump sum, so it's not a no-brainer. But I wouldn't blame anyone for taking the money and running, and certainly would not accuse them of selling out their whole gender/sport if they did so. Unfortunately there would be very few female ballers who have earned that amount in an entire career.

It takes a spectacular amount of mental gymnastics from Ice Cube to simultaneously talk about women playing overseas while being able to get away with paying some of the other Big 3 players not that much because they are just coming back from their own full seasons overseas.

If Clark's agent can get everything about that supposed offer completely ironclad guaranteed, she should definitely think hard about it. Say she declines the offer and they sign EDD to some kind of deal instead. If that goes about as expected, then that probably makes any deal for a woman unlikely in the future. It does make me want to find out whether the WNBA considers 3x3 or variants to be playing basketball or not. Based on past advisories that I have seen, the NCAA does consider playing 3x3 in the offseason to be the same as playing 5x5.
Shades

PostPosted: 03/29/24 12:28 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Fever schedule during this time
Sunday, Jun 16, 2024 CHI @ IND 12 PM ET
Wednesday, Jun 19, 2024 WAS @ IND 7 PM ET
Friday, Jun 21, 2024 IND @ ATL 7:30 PM ET
Sunday, Jun 23, 2024 IND @ CHI 6 PM ET
Thursday, Jun 27, 2024 IND @ SEA 10 PM ET
Sunday, Jun 30, 2024 IND @ PHX 3 PM ET
Tuesday, Jul 2, 2024 IND @ LVA 10 PM ET
Saturday, Jul 6, 2024 NYL @ IND 1 PM ET
Wednesday, Jul 10, 2024 WAS @ IND 12 PM ET
Friday, Jul 12, 2024 PHX @ IND 7:30 PM ET
Sunday, Jul 14, 2024 IND @ MIN 7 PM ET
Wednesday, Jul 17, 2024 IND @ DAL 8 PM ET

[Olympics Break Jul 28, 2024 - Aug 11, 2024]

Friday, Aug 16, 2024 PHX @ IND 7:30 PM ET
Sunday, Aug 18, 2024 SEA @ IND 4 PM ET

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
Silky Johnson

PostPosted: 03/29/24 3:03 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Luuuc wrote:

I reject the premise that this is an opportunity for women. This is an opportunity for Caitlin Clark, and good for her! Ice Cube said that American women athletes deserve better, that they deserve the opportunity to earn more money domestically, and if he actually believed that, then he would have extended an offer to more than one woman, and not just the woman who will bring in the maximum number of eyeballs.

The Big3 league started in 2017: he could have made an offer to any number of women between then and now. He wouldn't have even had to put up five million, he probably could have gotten a bunch of players for a fifth of that. That's if he had actually meant that shit he was talking.

My team no longer exists, so I'll have to settle for hating yours.
WNBA 09

PostPosted: 03/29/24 7:48 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Why not just start a Big 3 women's league if he cares that much ......

PostPosted: 03/29/24 9:36 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Why not buy a team for that matter? He could get 11 women for only twice the price of one. LOL

PostPosted: 03/29/24 3:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

shontay33 wrote:
ClayK wrote:

I agree that she would defiantly struggle in that league. 3 on 3 with former NBA players. They play very very physical. Although they would respect Catlin as a fellow ball player, I don't see them taking it easy on her.

She can play to her strengths on the outside. And overly aggressives physical contact on the perimeter can get her to the free throw line.
hyperetic

PostPosted: 03/29/24 3:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA 09 wrote:

Why not a co-league?
Queenie

PostPosted: 03/29/24 4:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

She'd be smaller than every other player in the league. (Definitely by height. We don't know weight because women's college teams don't disclose that info, but she's not exactly stocky, no matter how strong she is.) She'd be a raw rookie going against people with years, if not close to multiple decades, of experience more than she has. She'd be playing a different style strategically.

Oh, and by essentially taking a giant steaming dump on the collective organization of women's basketball, she'd probably have burned every single bridge she could possibly claim in the WNBA, and through that any access to the good Euroleague teams. Some of her sponsors are probably contingent on her going to the W (I rather assume Gainbridge is). So she'd have $5 million and then what? She gets to be a sideshow for the rest of her life? Where else does she go? Her style of showmanship isn't the same as the Globetrotters', for example.

Oh, and as has been brought up earlier, Nancy Lieberman is one of the coaches, so she'd probably get sexually harassed to boot.

PostPosted: 03/29/24 5:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

scullyfu wrote:
Why not buy a team for that matter? He could get 11 women for only twice the price of one. LOL

I like the way you think.... Exclamation Exclamation Exclamation

PostPosted: 03/29/24 5:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

hyperetic wrote:
WNBA 09 wrote:

Why not a co-league?

IF they are offering contracts within this range for the top players forget AU big 3 changes their schedule and allow th W players to play in a minority of 40% of the games if they do not then we are in business. otherwise #publicity stunt at its best because 6ft clark will not dominate with a NBA ball against average 6'7 foot guys ever.

PostPosted: 03/31/24 6:47 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Jackie Young is the highest current salary in the WNBA at $252,000. The ESPN announcer claims to have looked that up somewhere??

Rebecca Lobo: "My advice to my children would be, if someone offers you $5 million dollars to do something you love, and it's legal, you should at least consider it".

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/Sor4xlyt4OI?si=FMjV2EulfGEmg2bj" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture; web-share" referrerpolicy="strict-origin-when-cross-origin" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Last edited by tfan on 03/31/24 7:01 am; edited 1 time in total
tfan

PostPosted: 03/31/24 6:48 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Saw a show where someone said the salaries in the BIG3 are $12 to $15 thousand.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/83pvjWUyLsQ?si=s3xX7hXeX-q2n93t" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture; web-share" referrerpolicy="strict-origin-when-cross-origin" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Last edited by tfan on 03/31/24 6:51 am; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: