RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Olivia Miles

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rock Hard

PostPosted: 03/17/24 8:34 pm    ::: Olivia Miles Reply Reply with quote

Olivia Miles has missed approximately two basketball seasons. Does anyone know what type of knee injury that she has exactly?

PostPosted: 03/17/24 9:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

She's missed just one season. She was injured at the end of last season (last regular season game).

It was an ACL injury. The recovery time varies (for instance, Niele Ivey, as a junior, tore her ACL in the Big East Tournament, but was able to come back and play the following season).

Having her miss this season isn't that unexpected, though as I said, recovery times can vary.

Conway Gamecock

PostPosted: 03/17/24 9:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I read one time elsewhere that it can take a full 9 months to recover from an ACL tear - that have had to do more with CFB than BB, but I can't see how it would be any different. So for a player to get injured towards the end of a season, I can see how that player would miss the majority of the next.

It depends also on the severity of the tear - if it was just a slight tear, or a complete rupture. A lesser tear where the majority of the ligament is still intact may require lesser time to heal, and may not require a surgical procedure to assist.

Kinda similar is the injury in baseball known as the Tommy John injury, which also involves a ligament in the arm/elbow. Whenever a baseball pitcher suffers the Tommy John injury, the expectation is that an entire season will be lost before that player can return to action.....

tfan

PostPosted: 03/18/24 12:48 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I assume her EARLY ENROLLEE SEASON (2020-21)" counts for nothing since she only played 6 games.

https://fightingirish.com/roster/olivia-miles/

GEF34

PostPosted: 03/18/24 1:09 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

tfan wrote:
I assume her EARLY ENROLLEE SEASON (2020-21)" counts for nothing since she only played 6 games.

https://fightingirish.com/roster/olivia-miles/

If it were a regular season it would count as her freshman year because that is 30% of Notre Dame's game that season, but since that season the NCAA gave everyone that played an extra year it doesn't count as a season. That is also why there were more than the typical early enrollees that season across multiple sports because they could come early, get experience and not use up a year of eligibility.

Rock Hard

PostPosted: 03/18/24 5:34 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

CBiebel wrote:
She's missed just one season. She was injured at the end of last season (last regular season game).

It was an ACL injury. The recovery time varies (for instance, Niele Ivey, as a junior, tore her ACL in the Big East Tournament, but was able to come back and play the following season).

Having her miss this season isn't that unexpected, though as I said, recovery times can vary.

Thanks for the information.

PostPosted: 03/18/24 5:35 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

CBiebel wrote:

Thanks for the Information.

PostPosted: 03/18/24 12:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

There is speculation that Olivia chose to not play this year because she wanted to save her eligibility for the Portal. Two top PG/s on one team. Some people think she may be considering LSU or another contending team to lead.

What do you think or know?

Howee

PostPosted: 03/19/24 12:28 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

RavenDog wrote:
There is speculation that Olivia chose to not play this year because she wanted to save her eligibility for the Portal. Two top PG/s on one team. Some people think she may be considering LSU or another contending team to lead.

I *think* I'd be s'prised! Shocked Hidalgo could make a fantastic 2 to Olivia's 1 spot.

PostPosted: 03/19/24 8:45 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Howee wrote:
RavenDog wrote:

I *think* I'd be s'prised! Shocked Hidalgo could make a fantastic 2 to Olivia's 1 spot.

From last week:

Quote:
“I never want to speak on behalf of my players — that’s really big for me that they have their own voice — (but) I spoke with Liv,” Ivey said. “She gave me permission to say this: She will be back.

"I can’t wait,” Ivey added. “I’m so excited, and she’s killing it, she’s crushing it, she looks fantastic. Her comeback is gonna be a movie, it’s gonna be incredible for everybody to see what she’s doing and how she’s going to be, and everybody needs to get their tickets right now.”

OM has been front and center since then. She was next to Niele on the podium after ACC championship game and was the one that put the ND sticker on their ticket to the NCAA Tourney (cool idea, btw for whoever thought of that). Same with the selection get together they had (I don't think the feed was working for ESPN, but I saw it on local tv).

https://www.ndinsider.com/story/sports/womens-basketball/2024/03/06/notre-dame-womens-basketball-star-olivia-miles-will-return-for-2024-25-season-acc-tournament-injury/72874742007/

“Thank you for showing the fellas that you've got more balls than them,” Haley said, to cheers from the crowd.
RavenDog

PostPosted: 03/20/24 4:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ex-Ref wrote:
Howee wrote:
RavenDog wrote:

From last week:

Quote:
“I never want to speak on behalf of my players — that’s really big for me that they have their own voice — (but) I spoke with Liv,” Ivey said. “She gave me permission to say this: She will be back.

"I can’t wait,” Ivey added. “I’m so excited, and she’s killing it, she’s crushing it, she looks fantastic. Her comeback is gonna be a movie, it’s gonna be incredible for everybody to see what she’s doing and how she’s going to be, and everybody needs to get their tickets right now.”

OM has been front and center since then. She was next to Niele on the podium after ACC championship game and was the one that put the ND sticker on their ticket to the NCAA Tourney (cool idea, btw for whoever thought of that). Same with the selection get together they had (I don't think the feed was working for ESPN, but I saw it on local tv).

https://www.ndinsider.com/story/sports/womens-basketball/2024/03/06/notre-dame-womens-basketball-star-olivia-miles-will-return-for-2024-25-season-acc-tournament-injury/72874742007/

Good News!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: