RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Coach Pay List and Article About It

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ex-Ref

PostPosted: 03/14/24 8:55 am    ::: Coach Pay List and Article About It Reply Reply with quote

Mostly about Mulkey. Some interesting stuff though.

Quote:
A major issue when it comes to women’s sports making profit relates to television.

“One of the things that holds back women’s sports is the TV deals people make for them, they’re really lousy,” Berri explained. “In women’s basketball, one (of the) things that holds back women’s revenue is the NCAA is run by men, who don’t try very hard” to sell women’s sports.

There is an interesting list of how much many of the coaches make, along with bonus money and buyouts.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaaw/2024/03/14/kim-mulkey-womens-college-basketball-coaches-salaries/72896862007/

“Thank you for showing the fellas that you've got more balls than them,” Haley said, to cheers from the crowd.
summertime blues

PostPosted: 03/14/24 12:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Paywall. But my opinion of Kimmie, not real high to begin with, dripped considerably over her actions when Poa was hurt in the game the other day. Most coaches would have been out there with their trainer, within the first minute or so, when it was obvious that the kid was badly hurt. Not Kimmie. She didn't stir off her throne, er, bench, until Poa collapsed while her teammates were trying to help her to the sidelines. Very bad move, Kimmie. You should have been out there to begin with.

PostPosted: 03/14/24 12:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

summertime blues wrote:
Paywall. But my opinion of Kimmie, not real high to begin with, dripped considerably over her actions when Poa was hurt in the game the other day. Most coaches would have been out there with their trainer, within the first minute or so, when it was obvious that the kid was badly hurt. Not Kimmie. She didn't stir off her throne, er, bench, until Poa collapsed while her teammates were trying to help her to the sidelines. Very bad move, Kimmie. You should have been out there to begin with.

You sure? They usually say for subscribers or something similar. I'm not seeing that on this one.

“Thank you for showing the fellas that you've got more balls than them,” Haley said, to cheers from the crowd.
PUmatty

PostPosted: 03/14/24 12:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ex-Ref wrote:
summertime blues wrote:

You sure? They usually say for subscribers or something similar. I'm not seeing that on this one.

I was able to open and read it.

summertime blues

PostPosted: 03/14/24 1:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PUmatty wrote:
Ex-Ref wrote:
summertime blues wrote:

I was able to open and read it.

Big "adblocker" thingy when I tried.

PostPosted: 03/14/24 2:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

summertime blues wrote:

The amount of hate for Kim, wow. She is a fantastic coach, and one of the most successful in history. Kim didn’t go over there because she had to figure out other options for Poa, a replacement and a game plan. Many coaches across all sports don’t go out when their player is hurt as they still have to focus on the game too, players know that, and I’m sure Poa doesn’t hold anything against her. Kim is aggressive, hardcore coach, people wouldn’t play for her if they didn’t like her. LSU made a fantastic investment. There is a reason Kim is one of my favorite coaches in the game.

PostPosted: 03/14/24 7:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

eibln wrote:
summertime blues wrote:

The amount of hate for Kim, wow. She is a fantastic coach, and one of the most successful in history. Kim didn’t go over there because she had to figure out other options for Poa, a replacement and a game plan. Many coaches across all sports don’t go out when their player is hurt as they still have to focus on the game too, players know that, and I’m sure Poa doesn’t hold anything against her. Kim is aggressive, hardcore coach, people wouldn’t play for her if they didn’t like her. LSU made a fantastic investment. There is a reason Kim is one of my favorite coaches in the game.

Disagree with some of your post. She may be good with her Xs and Os, but I don't find her to be a nice person. The way she has treated Brittney Griner is shameful. And your excuse for why she didn't go out there is so much horse hockey. It took the EMTs forever to load Poa up, she would have had plenty of time. She should have at the very LEAST sent her trainer out immediately, but she didn't even do that. People don't come to play for her because they like her, only because they want to win. Period.If it came to that, I'd much rather my kid played for Dawn or Tara or Courtney Banghart or Wes Moore or any number of other coaches, even Geno.

PostPosted: 03/14/24 7:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

summertime blues wrote:
eibln wrote:
summertime blues wrote:

Disagree with some of your post. She may be good with her Xs and Os, but I don't find her to be a nice person. The way she has treated Brittney Griner is shameful. And your excuse for why she didn't go out there is so much horse hockey. It took the EMTs forever to load Poa up, she would have had plenty of time. She should have at the very LEAST sent her trainer out immediately, but she didn't even do that. People don't come to play for her because they like her, only because they want to win. Period.If it came to that, I'd much rather my kid played for Dawn or Tara or Courtney Banghart or Wes Moore or any number of other coaches, even Geno.

Way, way back when I was in college, I took an athletic training class. One of the things that we were taught was, unless its life threatening, the trainer should calmly walk out to the player. That gives them time to think about what they need to do, keep their breathing under control and let the player know that the situation is going to be OK

And we were told that unless the coach is the one providing the care that they should stay on the sideline and out of the way. Prof said that coaches have their jobs and trainers have their jobs and they each need to stay out of the other's way.

Having said that, I do think that in cases where players are getting stretchered off of the playing surface, that a coach is OK to walk out, share a look with the player, a nod, a smile, a touch, whatever, and then go back to the sideline.

Always made me crazy to see Muffet run out on to the floor.

summertime blues

PostPosted: 03/15/24 6:38 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

That was, as you said, way, way back. Things are a little different now. Trainers are usually out there in a minute or less. They generally call the coaches, but sometimes the coaches come with them. At least in the games I see which are mostly Sun Belt (in person) and SEC and ACC onscreen, plus a scattered handful of other conferences.

PostPosted: 03/15/24 8:00 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

summertime blues wrote:
That was, as you said, way, way back. Things are a little different now. Trainers are usually out there in a minute or less. They generally call the coaches, but sometimes the coaches come with them. At least in the games I see which are mostly Sun Belt (in person) and SEC and ACC onscreen, plus a scattered handful of other conferences.

Well, Kim is way, way, back so maybe she had the same prof that I did.

And I have never seen a trainer call a coach onto the floor.

ClayK

PostPosted: 03/15/24 9:17 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

When you see how much coaches are paid, it makes it clear why athletes feel they deserve more than a scholarship -- which costs the university a very small amount, as opposed to what the university charges for it.

PostPosted: 03/15/24 5:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I’m glad you know Kim’s personality. From everything I have heard and when I have met her, she is one of the nicest. She chose not to say anything about Griner to stay out of the political light. She may have had different views about what happened with Griner. There is no saying they always got along either. Everything from most players say they love her. Mulkey is old school and one of the best. She is extravagant and amazing courtside. She ou should let you Mulkey beef go. Just because she is republican and you’re a hardcore democrat doesn’t mean you should hate her. Because from your past posts over the years, it’s all how you don’t like Mulkey politically

PostPosted: 03/15/24 5:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

eibln wrote:
I’m glad you know Kim’s personality. From everything I have heard and when I have met her, she is one of the nicest. She chose not to say anything about Griner to stay out of the political light. She may have had different views about what happened with Griner. There is no saying they always got along either. Everything from most players say they love her. Mulkey is old school and one of the best. She is extravagant and amazing courtside. She ou should let you Mulkey beef go. Just because she is republican and you’re a hardcore democrat doesn’t mean you should hate her. Because from your past posts over the years, it’s all how you don’t like Mulkey politically

You can leave politics out of this. I didn't like Kim when she was a player and I don't like her now even more. Period. End of statement.

PostPosted: 03/15/24 7:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:
When you see how much coaches are paid, it makes it clear why athletes feel they deserve more than a scholarship -- which costs the university a very small amount, as opposed to what the university charges for it.

It makes me doubt the whole "this sport loses money" narrative

PostPosted: 03/15/24 9:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

summertime blues wrote:
eibln wrote:

You can leave politics out of this. I didn't like Kim when she was a player and I don't like her now even more. Period. End of statement.

Well you can not like her, but that doesn’t mean you can go around saying things you simply don’t know. I know enough people around the Baylor and LSU programs to know that she is well liked by admin, alumni and the majority of the girls who play for her. She doesn’t baby players like many coaches do now, she is blunt and gets amazing results. Kim isn’t a people pleaser like you want her to be, she does what’s best for her players, staff and university regardless of how people feel.

PostPosted: 03/16/24 8:02 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

summertime blues wrote:
eibln wrote:

The above bolded is 100% spot on. Keep your politics to yourself. Its a shame that this crap has invaded sports as it is. Dont need that crap here.

Phil

PostPosted: 03/16/24 8:46 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

summertime blues wrote:
She should have at the very LEAST sent her trainer out immediately, but she didn't even do that.

My understanding of the rules is that if the trainer goes to the player, then the player must come out of the game. While I can appreciate the sentiment of sending a trainer out as quickly as possible, we've all seen situations where something looked bad but the player was able to shake it off and continue in the game. If you sent a trainer out every time a player went down, you'd find yourself substituting when you didn't have to. Having said that, while I read the rules I didn't literally read this rule. I think every time I seen a trainer on the floor the player has come out, and I think I've heard the commentators state that a trainer on the floor means a substitution is required. Happy to be corrected if my understanding of the rule is not accurate.

Last edited by Phil on 03/16/24 10:14 am; edited 1 time in total
GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 03/16/24 9:38 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Phil wrote:
summertime blues wrote:
She should have at the very LEAST sent her trainer out immediately, but she didn't even do that.

My understanding of the rules is that if the trainer goes to the player, then the player must come out of the game. While I can appreciate the sentiment of sending a trainer out as quickly as possible, we've all seen situations where something looked bad but the play was able to shake it off and continue in the game. If you sent a trainer out every time a player went down, you'd find yourself substituting when you didn't have to. Having said that, while I read the rules I didn't literally read this rule. I think every time I seen a trainer on the floor the player has come out, and I think I've heard the commentators state that a trainer on the floor means a substitution is required. Happy to be corrected if my understanding of the rule is not accurate.

According to posts on officiating.com, a coach or trainer must be "beckoned" by the refs to come onto the floor for an injured player. Otherwise, it is a technical foul for them to do so, though the ref posters say they would rarely call that. THIS POST quotes rules (from some level) that say that if a trainer or coach comes onto the floor, the putatively injured player must come out of the game or that team must call a timeout.
Phil

PostPosted: 03/16/24 10:13 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Thanks Glenn

summertime blues

PostPosted: 03/16/24 11:36 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Phil wrote:
summertime blues wrote:

My understanding of the rules is that if the trainer goes to the player, then the player must come out of the game. While I can appreciate the sentiment of sending a trainer out as quickly as possible, we've all seen situations where something looked bad but the player was able to shake it off and continue in the game. If you sent a trainer out every time a player went down, you'd find yourself substituting when you didn't have to. Having said that, while I read the rules I didn't literally read this rule. I think every time I seen a trainer on the floor the player has come out, and I think I've heard the commentators state that a trainer on the floor means a substitution is required. Happy to be corrected if my understanding of the rule is not accurate.

Wasn't it obvious that Poa was going to have to come out? I mean, seriously, people. She was in a bad way from the beginning.

PostPosted: 03/16/24 12:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

summertime blues wrote:
Phil wrote:
summertime blues wrote:

Wasn't it obvious that Poa was going to have to come out? I mean, seriously, people. She was in a bad way from the beginning.

Maybe it was, but ultimately it’s officials decision to call for the trainer as stated in previous posts. That is the same across almost every level and sport. I think you need to check what you’re saying before you start bashing Kim Mulkey. I also know some coaches are asked not to come on the court by officials which could have also been the case. Give Mulkey credit, she knows what she is doing and what is best.

PostPosted: 03/16/24 12:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

summertime blues wrote:
Phil wrote:
summertime blues wrote:

Maybe it was, but ultimately it’s officials decision to call for the trainer as stated in previous posts. That is the same across almost every level and sport. I think you need to check what you’re saying before you start bashing Kim Mulkey. I also know some coaches are asked not to come on the court by officials which could have also been the case. Give Mulkey credit, she knows what she is doing and what is best.

PostPosted: 03/16/24 1:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Not really the thread for this discussion, but oh well.

What is supposed to happen, but doesn't always, is the official should go over to the player and ask them if THEY want the trainer to come out?

Then they beckon to the trainer.

Like I said, that doesn't always happen. Sometimes trainers and coaches are already coming onto the court before the ref even gets to the player.

I'm guessing with Poa, her teammates surrounded her right away and picked her up so the ref(s) might not have even known that something was wrong.

Ideally the LSU trainer would have seen what was happening and come on out anyway.* Being 90' away doesn't make it easy to know what is happening on the other end of the floor.

In this case it would have been helpful if the other trainer had noticed what had happened and come out. But that trainer could have been dealing with something with one of their athletes, IDK.**

I put a lot of the blame for the delay in getting aid to Poa on her teammates. It doesn't take much to see that someone's in trouble like that.

*I can't imagine that a ref would issue a tech for a trainer coming onto the floor without being beckoned as long as the player is removed from the game.

**Trainers are supposed to be watching the game closely looking for things like this. I would even think that her head hitting the floor, that people on the bench on that end might have heard it.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: