RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Boston College and the ACC
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bballfan2005

PostPosted: 01/11/06 2:20 pm    ::: Boston College and the ACC Reply Reply with quote

Looks as if the Eagles haven't quite adjusted to life in the ACC. They've lost two straight ACC games and will more than likely start the season off 0-3 in the conference like the BC men. Their next game is a bout with Duke at home. My question is: Was this to be expected of BC's fate in the ACC?

Mathies to LA 2013
CamrnCrz1974

PostPosted: 01/11/06 2:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I figured BC would be with Virginia Tech and NC State...somewhere in the 4-6 range, and behind Duke, UNC, and Maryland.

dtsnms

PostPosted: 01/11/06 2:26 pm    ::: Re: Boston College and the ACC Reply Reply with quote

bballfan2005 wrote:
Looks as if the Eagles haven't quite adjusted to life in the ACC. They've lost two straight ACC games and will more than likely start the season off 0-3 in the conference like the BC men. Their next game is a bout with Duke at home. My question is: Was this to be expected of BC's fate in the ACC?

Huh????

OT to a Top 10 Maryland team, and to a good Va Tech team in Blacksburg? I wouldn't consider either of those terribly surprising losses, nor will be losing to Top 2 team Duke.

I'll go on record now as signing they'll knock off UVa in Chestnut Hill at the end of them month, and they'll be a very solid ACC team.

Let's just not expect them to be Duke, Maryland or UNC.

bballfan2005

PostPosted: 01/11/06 2:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I had them either #5 or #6 this summer. Beth and Debbie had them at #5 this fall, so we're all close. I expected them to lose the Maryland game, but the Virginia Tech game should've been theirs. Right now, I think they'll be in a dog fight with Florida State for the final ACC bid in the NCAA tournament. They could very well lose their next four ACC games.

Mathies to LA 2013
bballfan2005

PostPosted: 01/11/06 2:44 pm    ::: Re: Boston College and the ACC Reply Reply with quote

dtsnms wrote:
Huh????

OT to a Top 10 Maryland team, and to a good Va Tech team in Blacksburg? I wouldn't consider either of those terribly surprising losses, nor will be losing to Top 2 team Duke.

I'll go on record now as signing they'll knock off UVa in Chestnut Hill at the end of them month, and they'll be a very solid ACC team.

Let's just not expect them to be Duke, Maryland or UNC.

Maryland is injured and has point guard issues. I expect them to lose their fair share in the ACC if Toliver can't go full-time for them. This Maryland team isn't the same team that nearly knocked off Tennessee earlier this season. This Maryland team is banged-up and doesn't have a true point guard leading the attack. BC should've won this game, especially since the game was at Chestnut Hill.

Virginia Tech can't beat anybody on the road (as evidenced by their drubbing at the hands of an up and down NC State team), so I'm not surprised that they defeated BC at home. Simply stated, Tech is overrated and is no better than #7 in the ACC. You should watch the NC State game again.

Dts, we're cool and all BUT I'm not sure I'd make any more predictions this season if I were you (j/k). Smile I'd actually be surprised if Virginia lost to BC because, for one thing, Virginia is a better version of Virginia Tech. If BC can't deal with Tech's speed, they'll lose their minds trying to slow down UVa. BC won't win that game.

BC *could* defeat Miami on the road, but that's not likely. Miami looks shaky after receiving that pounding at home against UNC (exposed both Taylor and James), and it could take them a while to regain confidence after that game. Too bad that game won't be televised because it should be a good one.

Mathies to LA 2013
dtsnms

PostPosted: 01/11/06 2:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

You're points are all valid. Having played Va Tech in Blacksburg over the years, I recall it being a tough place to play. You'll see, they'll give some other ACC teams trouble there (may not win, but trouble).

I'll stick to my PREDICTION BEFORE IT HAPPENS in that BC will beat UVa in Chestnut Hill. Then some num-nut can hold it against me if I'm wrong. Rolling Eyes

bballfan2005

PostPosted: 01/11/06 2:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'm aware that Tech will give teams trouble in Blacksburg. The men's team is the same way. All home teams should be that way. However, several teams in the ACC have the defense it takes to shut down Tech. Furthermore, Tech's ineptitude at defense makes it easier for ACC teams to prey upon them. Teams in the ACC with strong defenses shouldn't have much of a problem with Tech. Duke, Virginia, and UNC--three of the top defenses in the ACC--should come out of Blacksburg with the win. Furthermore, Georgia Tech, another top defensive team in the ACC, should win the game in Atlanta. Virginia Tech can hope for a 7-7 season at best.

As for UVa/BC: Is this a random prediction or do you have any info to back this prediction up?

Mathies to LA 2013

Last edited by bballfan2005 on 01/11/06 2:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
Joey Nations

PostPosted: 01/11/06 2:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Quote:
Maryland is injured and has point guard issues. I expect them to lose their fair share in the ACC if Toliver can't go full-time for them. This Maryland team isn't the same team that nearly knocked off Tennessee earlier this season. This Maryland team is banged-up and doesn't have a true point guard leading the attack.

The only one banged up is Toliver and she should be ready to go 100% on Monday vs. FSU.

The question is now does she start and if so who goes to the bench?

http://www.terpswomenshoops.blogspot.com
bballfan2005

PostPosted: 01/11/06 3:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I was under the impression that Harper was banged up as well, which is part of the reason why she's not starting and Jade Perry is.

The FSU game is a home game for Maryland. Maryland should win since FSU isn't a strong road team. I wouldn't start Toliver unless she's absolutely ready to go.

Mathies to LA 2013
ripleydc

PostPosted: 01/11/06 3:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Joey Nations wrote:

The only one banged up is Toliver and she should be ready to go 100% on Monday vs. FSU.

The question is now does she start and if so who goes to the bench?

I think you're right. excluding Kalika, obviously, Toliver is the only injured player.

my recollection is that with Toliver starting, Marissa came off the bench. I liked that rotation.

dtsnms

PostPosted: 01/11/06 3:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

bballfan2005 wrote:
As for UVa/BC: Is this a random prediction or do you have any info to back this prediction up?

Gut feeling more than anything else; history of seeing BC to some extent. Knowing when they turn it on and off. And most importantly even if I'm wrong, I at least go on record with a prediction instead of saying afterward "I knew it"

ripleydc

PostPosted: 01/11/06 3:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

dtsnms wrote:

I'll stick to my PREDICTION BEFORE IT HAPPENS in that BC will beat UVa in Chestnut Hill.

sign me up, too, dts. BC is a very tough team at home IMO. they took OSU and MD to overtime and beat Stanford. I don't think that Virginia can beat them up there.

didn't BC beat UConn at home last year?

bballfan2005

PostPosted: 01/11/06 3:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

dtsnms wrote:
Gut feeling more than anything else; history of seeing BC to some extent. Knowing when they turn it on and off.

That's fair. I've seen BC some over the past couple of seasons. Duke played them last season, so I had a chance to watch them play. Knowing some of their personnel and the style of play, I don't see it as being fit for the ACC.

I've followed UVa off and on since the '90s, and this team has sparked my interest. I'm aware of this team's personnel. Yes, they have special players...blah blah blah. However, their defense is what will carry them through this difficult ACC season. From what I've seen of them, they've got some quick hands and quicker feet. Can BC counter this quickness?

BC's not an offensive juggernaut (sp?), so I don't expect them to hang a hundred on UVa. In fact, I'd be surprised if they scored 50 points against this defense. To make a long story short, BC will lose on Jan 26, 2006 in Chestnut Hill on ESPNU at 7 (shameless plug, I know).

Mathies to LA 2013
dtsnms

PostPosted: 01/11/06 3:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

bballfan2005 wrote:
dtsnms wrote:
Gut feeling more than anything else; history of seeing BC to some extent. Knowing when they turn it on and off.

That's fair. I've seen BC some over the past couple of seasons. Duke played them last season, so I had a chance to watch them play. Knowing some of their personnel and the style of play, I don't see it as being fit for the ACC.

I've followed UVa off and on since the '90s, and this team has sparked my interest. I'm aware of this team's personnel. Yes, they have special players...blah blah blah. However, their defense is what will carry them through this difficult ACC season. From what I've seen of them, they've got some quick hands and quicker feet. Can BC counter this quickness?

BC's not an offensive juggernaut (sp?), so I don't expect them to hang a hundred on UVa. In fact, I'd be surprised if they scored 50 points against this defense. To make a long story short, BC will lose on Jan 26, 2006 in Chestnut Hill on ESPNU at 7 (shameless plug, I know).

Fair as any other guesstimate on the game. Without knowing much about UVa comparatively, can they stop Ress inside? She can be a force.

Keep in mind, for long term BC in the ACC discussions, this is a somewhat down year for BC by the way.,

bballfan2005

PostPosted: 01/11/06 3:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It depends. Ress is 6'4 and a force inside. If the game is a half-court slugfest, I'm sure Ress will have a decent showing.

With that said, can Ress run with Siedah Williams? Can she box out Lyndra Littles and Tiffany Sardin on the boards? My guess would be a resounding "NO".

Mathies to LA 2013
Joey Nations

PostPosted: 01/11/06 3:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Harper had some soreness in her repaired Achilles after the VI event (three games in three days will do that to you), but hasn't experienced any problems since.

Don't know for a fact, but I think the coaches like bringing her off the bench to add a little bit more size and scoring down low. If Perry came off the bench, the bench scoring would be suffering even more.

ripley - I like Coleman off the bench too. It again added size and scoring.

http://www.terpswomenshoops.blogspot.com
ucbart

PostPosted: 01/11/06 4:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Joey Nations wrote:
Harper had some soreness in her repaired Achilles after the VI event (three games in three days will do that to you), but hasn't experienced any problems since.

Don't know for a fact, but I think the coaches like bringing her off the bench to add a little bit more size and scoring down low. If Perry came off the bench, the bench scoring would be suffering even more.

ripley - I like Coleman off the bench too. It again added size and scoring.

Adjusted to life in the ACC? They have been playing in the Big East...which until this year was a better conference than the ACC. They've been playing GREAT UCONN, Rutgers, ND, for years and several other very good Big East teams. I think more of a problem is the fact that they lost almost their entire starting backcourt to graduation.

CamrnCrz1974

PostPosted: 01/11/06 4:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ucbart wrote:
I think more of a problem is the fact that they lost almost their entire starting backcourt to graduation.

Exactly, Bart

bballfan2005

PostPosted: 01/11/06 5:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

So bart, you think that the ACC and Big East play the same style of basketball?

Thanks for proving my point. The ACC is very guard-oriented in terms of its style of play. This means that BC's having a hard time adjusting to the ACC because it doesn't have the type of guards necessary for success in the conference. As for the losses of Droesch (sp?) and Deveny, all programs experience losses to graduation. However, most programs regroup, reload, and move on.

Mathies to LA 2013
CamrnCrz1974

PostPosted: 01/11/06 5:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

BC lost its entire backcourt. If BC did not reload, the transition to the ACC or staying in the Big East would not have mattered...it would still have hurt.

bballfan2005

PostPosted: 01/11/06 5:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Maybe, but familiarity with Big East opponents would've carried them to an extent.

Mathies to LA 2013
CamrnCrz1974

PostPosted: 01/11/06 5:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

bballfan2005 wrote:
Maybe, but familiarity with Big East opponents would've carried them to an extent.

Heck, I am familiar with ACC opponents...but I don't have the talent to play against them. Losing the backcourt hurts BC, no matter what conference the Eagles are in.

dtsnms

PostPosted: 01/11/06 5:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

CamrnCrz1974 wrote:
ucbart wrote:
I think more of a problem is the fact that they lost almost their entire starting backcourt to graduation.

Exactly, Bart

as I said, Keep in mind, for long term BC in the ACC discussions, this is a somewhat down year for BC by the way.,

bballfan2005

PostPosted: 01/11/06 5:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Losing an entire backcourt hurts (never said it didn't). However, you move on and play with what you've got. If you know an opponent well enough, you can prepare well enough to score a few wins. I can't say for sure that if BC was in the Big East they'd have a win, but one likes to think that'd be the case. As it stands, they lost to two quicker teams in Maryland and Va Tech.

Duke lost the starting backcourt for 2003-04, but adjustments allowed Duke to finish #2 in the conference the next season while losing to only one conference foe. Can't say that the same would've happened had the Blue Devils switched conferences in 2004-05.

Mathies to LA 2013
O.G.

PostPosted: 01/11/06 5:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It's just a good old-fashioned warm welcome, ACC-style. I'm not surprised at all that both the men's and women's teams are struggling. Whose idea was all this conference-switching anyway???

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: